Lego version of Ibrox - "The enthusiasm for this one is unrivalled"

He's on message already!

"I didn’t have a connection to Rangers or the other team in Glasgow beforehand and looked at both."

Full article to save the hits:

David Resnik brings joy with Rangers' Ibrox Stadium shortly after Old Trafford success

THERE was a time when David Resnik wouldn’t have believed you if you’d told him a childhood hobby would soon be the envy of thousands of sports fans around the world.

It was probably around 2014 when the American had just gone through a bad break up, moved back into his parents’ basement, and was desperately looking for a way to take his mind off things.

Fortunately, his brother reminded him of his childhood passions, Lego and the Cleveland Browns, suggesting he find a way to embrace the two.

The rest, as they say, is history. The Ohio native built a miniature replica of the baseball team’s home ground and couldn’t believe it when it took off online.
Six years later, he’s turned his talents to stadiums across America, featured on Fox News and Sports Illustrated, and recently tried his hands at football, first in Ajax’s Johan Cryuff Arena, then in Manchester United’s iconic Old Trafford.

He’s also raised thousands of pounds for charity and built up a passionate following across his Stadium for Ants social media channels.

However, even he admits he wasn’t prepared for the outpouring of support for his latest project, an ambitious design of Rangers’ famous Ibrox Stadium, which has been lapped up by Gers fans across the world.

“The enthusiasm for this one is unrivalled, which is kind of amazing to me,” David, 38, said. “I’ve done quite a few of these, starting with baseball and then football, which I am a huge fan of.

“I started about a year ago doing traditional football grounds and did the arena in Amsterdam and it turns out that Ajax supporters have an affinity for Rangers.

“There was a Dutch invasion [when Rangers signed the likes of Arthur Numan] in the late 90s and that seems to be where it comes from. They were explaining that to me and then one thing led to another and a Twitter friend from Amsterdam introduced me to Twitter friends in Glasgow and it took off from there.

“I have never been to Glasgow but going to an Old Firm game has been on my bucket list, at the very top of the list, for a very long time.

“When I was approached to do Ibrox, based on that alone it was interesting to me. I didn’t have a connection to Rangers or the other team in Glasgow beforehand and looked at both.

“I had just finished doing Old Trafford and as an architecture student Old Trafford and Parkhead are really similar. Almost the same with the low main stand and rounded edges.

“So from an architecture perspective, I said: ‘I don’t want to do that, I just did that’. It became a really easy decision and it’s the best decision I have made in a long time due to the enthusiasm; it’s been unbelievable.”

Not only has David brought joy to thousands, but his passion has transformed his life. Shortly after making his first model, he was introduced to the dean of architecture at Kent University, in Ohio, who told him he was wasting his life in sales.

“One thing led to another and here I am as an architecture student,” he said. “Now, I have learned to do this a little bit more professionally and can put together more accurate construction methods.

“It’s been wild and quite a ride. I never really expected that, to be honest with you. Before I started sharing it on Twitter, I was terrified.

“As I say, I had just gone through a really bad break up and had moved back home to my parents’ house: I was a 35-year-old man living in the basement doing these little models. As if I was going to show that to the world! They would have been like ‘you loser’.

“It wound up being a wonderful thing and it has taken on a life of its own at this point. I have madefriends all over the world now and it is special. I feel very lucky.”

Ibrox, built in 1899, is well-known for its iconic redbrick Bill Stuth Main Stand and for being the home of Rangers for more than 100 years.

They just don’t make them like that anymore. What, then, does David think then of modern stadia, such as West Ham’s Olympic Stadium, often described as “soulless” by football fans?

“I look at a place like Ibrox where they’ve been playing on that pitch for a hundred plus years; that creates a sense of home that can’t be reinstituted somewhere else,” he said.

“I was fortunate enough to see Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund last year and you can tell they have just absolutely nailed the industrial feel of that place. You can tell it’s been done up but in such a way that speaks to that place.

“Ibrox is so interesting because you stand outside on the street by the old school building and it looks every bit early 1900s, quintessential British architecture. From the brickwork to the detailing, it is glorious. But, inside it has that modern sensibility about it and that’s been done over a period of time.

“It’s spectacular and that’s why it’s been such a wonderful project for me to do.

“When you go to Ibrox, the moments that live there will always live there like the ones your grandfather experienced. I feel the same way when I go to stadiums and see my teams. I was raised by my grandfather to be a sports fans and I will never fail him.

“It’s those moments that live on. That’s the difference between a stadium and building a home. You can build a beautiful home but once you move out those memories leave with you.”

David has decided to give away his design and you can find out more details by visiting @StadiumsForAnts on Twitter.

to save them getting the hits

11827308.jpg

11827304.jpg

11827305.jpg

I’m sure Lego do this thing where people can submit ideas, if it gets enough support they manufacture it, presume that’s how the Old Trafford one came about. Wouldn’t be cheap but would be cracking

A friend, with no interest in football, but with a professional interest in design, told me the main stand facade was spectacular.

Saw the Old Trafford one for sale in a garden centre in the Clyde Valley. There’s definitely a market for the Ibrox version.

Looks amazing.

Not sure about an affinity with Ajax though. Especially the reason he gave for it!

Back