Lennon calls Maurice Ross an embarrassment and demands he apologies to the celtic players

So if the first team coach of i.e Aberdeen came out and said exactly the same thing about us that they have of Lennon, we'd all be ok with it?

If John Kennedy went on the radio and slagged off another club's coaching, we would all be defending him?

Just to clarify, I know many are getting a wee tickle out of this because Lennon is at the receiving end and, frankly, much of what Ross said on Lennon is true - Ross also accused St Mirren of deliberately getting games postponed and their players/staff infected.

I'm sorry, but a first team coach of a top flight side should not be on the national broadcaster saying shit like that, the Lennon stuff as well.
I'm inclined to agree with you. However, if we're to hold everyone to that standard then Lennon should be embarassed for responding so vociferously. It makes him look petty.

His squad is full of grown men. Ironically, by demanding an apology he's implicitly saying that 1) his players are so weak minded that they need an apology for this and 2) that there's substance to Ross's comments. Plus, as others have pointed out, he's literally commenting on another coach from another club, saying that this shouldn't be done.

My response would be, "I appreciate Maurice Ross attempting to critique a defensive line that is competing at the European level. Perhaps if Ross were coaching a team participating in European football his criticism may actually have a chance of standing up."

That way my squad immediately dismisses Ross's claims.

i dont think he did accuse st mirren

Mo Ross is stating an opinion and has said nothing illegal or embarras
So if the first team coach of i.e Aberdeen came out and said exactly the same thing about us that they have of Lennon, we'd all be ok with it?

If John Kennedy went on the radio and slagged off another club's coaching, we would all be defending him?

Just to clarify, I know many are getting a wee tickle out of this because Lennon is at the receiving end and, frankly, much of what Ross said on Lennon is true - Ross also accused St Mirren of deliberately getting games postpon

Just to clarify, I know many are getting a wee tickle out of this because Lennon is at the receiving end and, frankly, much of what Ross said on Lennon is true - Ross also accused St Mirren of deliberately getting games postponed and their players/staff infected.

I'm sorry, but a first team coach of a top flight side should not be on the national broadcaster saying shit like that, the Lennon stuff as well.
Mo Ross has said nothing illegal or embarrassing to himself . He is absolutely entitled to share same .Lennon is embarrassing himself , though I don't see anyone asking for an apology for his comments.It must also be said that Mo Ross was asked to comment and responded with his honest opinion. The day that can't be done will be a sad day for all whatever platform.
His manager has shown what a weak little man he is by his apologies , and is known to have a pop at us frequently. Lennon for once should drop the victim card and address what Mo Ross highlighted which I am sure the embarrassing support of his embarrassing club would wish

Last edited:
I don't think being a bit tactless is that much of an offence, even here under snatzi rule.
That other Motherwell coach who was on BT had plenty of opinions we disagreed with. Don't recall folk here defending him?
I dont remember the other coach and his comments tbf.

Think Stephen Craigan left that role with Motherwell like 2 or 3 years ago did he not?
Pretty sure he is a full time analyst/pundit now. Might be wrong.
Don't know the dates of his employment but he was certainly working for Motherwell & BT for a period of time and I don't recall him holding back on his criticism of us.
I may not agreed with what he said but neither would his right to say to what he did be considered a mortal sin a la lemon.

Don't know the dates of his employment but he was certainly working for Motherwell & BT for a period of time and I don't recall him holding back on his criticism of us.
I may not agreed with what he said but neither would his right to say to what he did be considered a mortal sin a la lemon.
Its not that its a sin to have an opinion, but what Ross said, as a First Team Coach, was taboo.
If it were John Potter at Hivs coming out and questioning us signing Roofe as he is a fitness concern consistently, or saying SG doesnt know how to train his players to play a role in a formation, this place would erupt (see Jackie McNamara thread).
There is a common courtesy among clubs that they dont respond to transfer speculation about players, dont criticise other players (unless a bad tackle etc) et al. Which may not always be followed granted, as many coaches also go into the odd bit of punditry etc but what Ross said about St Mirren more so than Sceptic, was outwith the spectrum of providing professional analysis.
The fitness comment about Thumb and Yeti was spot on though.

Nothing from Mo himself but Alex Dyer has joined the pile-on by implying that MR was just trying to create headlines re: teams forfeiting points.
do these people not realise the damage the missing link and sellic have done to scottish football and all mo has done is give an honest and spot on assessment of the game
:mad:

Very childish looking for an apology. I would never imagine Mr Gerrard looking for a sorry from any of their ex players that usually chat nonsense in press.

If we can stretch our lead they could totally collapse.

Maurice Ross is entitled to his opinion but he cannot complain if the people he has publicly criticised come back and criticise him. I have no time for Lennon but I can see why he is annoyed. If the criticism comes from a journalist then that is par for the course and managers know they've got to live with that. I think that when it comes from someone employed as a coach at another club, that makes it a different matter. All that Ross has succeeded in doing imo is to make sure that Lennon does not have to motivate his players when they next face Motherwell.

Nothing from Mo himself but Alex Dyer has joined the pile-on by implying that MR was just trying to create headlines re: teams forfeiting points.
%^*& Alex Dyer. He had %^*& all to say when his pal the tramps team came and played a clown should have been in isolation after jetting abroad to get his hole.

NEIL LENNON has branded Maurice Ross an 'embarrassment' — and told him to say sorry to Celtic’s players.

The former Rangers defender, now first-team coach at Motherwell, slammed Celts in a radio interview after Saturday’s Old Firm defeat.

Ross claimed it was the weakest Celtic line-up in 20 years and insisted Lennon’s side only had a basic understanding of how to play their 3-5-2 formation.

The ex-Scotland full-back also questioned why Leigh Griffiths and Albian Ajeti still weren’t fit enough to start the derby clash

But seething Lennon — whose side face AC Milan — has revealed he has already received an apology from Fir Park boss Steve Robinson for Ross’s remarks.

Lennon rapped: “I was surprised and very disappointed. Stephen contacted me to apologise profusely. He found it embarrassing.

“I think Motherwell, as a club, have really good people there and they found it embarrassing as well.

“And to be honest with you, I found the comments embarrassing for Maurice rather than anyone else.

“He’s an employee of another Premiership team and I don’t think he should be making any comment at all on any other team or any other players.”

Lennon now insists Ross owes the Celtic players an apology.

He added: “The comments, in particular on Ajeti, on Griffiths, on the money that Shane Duffy may or may not be on, I think were abysmal.

“There is a professional standard, a professional etiquette, a professional respect and I think Maurice was lacking in all three of those.

“I don’t think he owes me an apology, I think he owes my players an apology, I think he owes my coaching staff an apology and I think he owes my club an apology.

“I think he owes his own club an apology too.”

Ross’s bombshell remarks came on Sunday on Radio Scotland’s Sportsound programme.

The ex-Gers defender said: “That starting 11 was probably the weakest I’ve seen from them in 20 years.

“Griffiths, struggling for fitness? How long does he take to get fit that boy, Ajeti?”

Ross also infuriated St Mirren with comments he made during the same radio show.

Saints were forced to postpone their game against Well after three of their players tested positive for Covid-19.

Saints chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick accused Ross of suggesting his side had taken advantage of the situation and wrote to Motherwell to complain.
Diversion by a man under pressure and would expect plenty more mountains out of molehills over the next month or so

You can bet Lennon has been foaming yellow puss out his popcorn teeth at his dressing room and there is players there even more desperate to gtf than ever before, Edouard will want away in January aswell as Ntcham imho.

Its not that its a sin to have an opinion, but what Ross said, as a First Team Coach, was taboo.
If it were John Potter at Hivs coming out and questioning us signing Roofe as he is a fitness concern consistently, or saying SG doesnt know how to train his players to play a role in a formation, this place would erupt (see Jackie McNamara thread).
There is a common courtesy among clubs that they dont respond to transfer speculation about players, dont criticise other players (unless a bad tackle etc) et al. Which may not always be followed granted, as many coaches also go into the odd bit of punditry etc but what Ross said about St Mirren more so than Sceptic, was outwith the spectrum of providing professional analysis.
The fitness comment about Thumb and Yeti was spot on though.
Looks to me as TLB has felt the need to throw on thumb & a yeti tonight.
They will be miles away from being able to play on Sunday given the chasing around they are fruitlessly doing so far. :)

Looks to me as TLB has felt the need to throw on thumb & a yeti tonight.
They will be miles away from being able to play on Sunday given the chasing around they are fruitlessly doing so far. :)

Mo Ross would have known better than to play 3 at the back and an unfit junkie against Milan.

I've listened to Mo's comments again.

I appreciate he gave an opinion on his concern clubs could exploit the rules, but there was a clear context about their postponed match against St Mirren in the conversation...the analogy Mo responded with was cleverly worded as a hypothetical. Why do you think St Mirren were so angry about it?

That being said, I find it extraordinary that his comments on Celtic & Lennon are what have drawn the most public of apologies so quickly.

“He’s an employee of another Premiership team and I don’t think he should be making any comment at all on any other team or any other players.”

Pity the runt has never took his own advice, when it has came to us/

NEIL LENNON has branded Maurice Ross an 'embarrassment' — and told him to say sorry to Celtic’s players.

The former Rangers defender, now first-team coach at Motherwell, slammed Celts in a radio interview after Saturday’s Old Firm defeat.

Ross claimed it was the weakest Celtic line-up in 20 years and insisted Lennon’s side only had a basic understanding of how to play their 3-5-2 formation.

The ex-Scotland full-back also questioned why Leigh Griffiths and Albian Ajeti still weren’t fit enough to start the derby clash

But seething Lennon — whose side face AC Milan — has revealed he has already received an apology from Fir Park boss Steve Robinson for Ross’s remarks.

Lennon rapped: “I was surprised and very disappointed. Stephen contacted me to apologise profusely. He found it embarrassing.

“I think Motherwell, as a club, have really good people there and they found it embarrassing as well.

“And to be honest with you, I found the comments embarrassing for Maurice rather than anyone else.

Lennon now insists Ross owes the Celtic players an apology.

He added: “The comments, in particular on Ajeti, on Griffiths, on the money that Shane Duffy may or may not be on, I think were abysmal.

“There is a professional standard, a professional etiquette, a professional respect and I think Maurice was lacking in all three of those.

“I don’t think he owes me an apology, I think he owes my players an apology, I think he owes my coaching staff an apology and I think he owes my club an apology.

“I think he owes his own club an apology too.”

Ross’s bombshell remarks came on Sunday on Radio Scotland’s Sportsound programme.

The ex-Gers defender said: “That starting 11 was probably the weakest I’ve seen from them in 20 years.

“Griffiths, struggling for fitness? How long does he take to get fit that boy, Ajeti?”

Ross also infuriated St Mirren with comments he made during the same radio show.

Saints were forced to postpone their game against Well after three of their players tested positive for Covid-19.

Saints chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick accused Ross of suggesting his side had taken advantage of the situation and wrote to
NEIL LENNON has been branded an 'embarrassment' — and told to say sorry to Celtic’s fans.
Is what Mo should have said.

Back