Lennon has never won a normal league title

Just because Rangers were not in the league, doesn't mean he didn't win those fair and square. The only 2 that id question were through the points deduction, and last season.
His chances were considerably better without our participation, most money, bigger squad and better players than what was left in the league at that time! In fact even given when we got back we were still substantially as weak as the rest of the teams!

Until we win trophies we are not where we were before 2012!

I might take pelters for this, but we weren't winning the league last season. We were miles off when the pandemic halted football. They were the far better side after Christmas.

A good spot OP.

Lets keep our heads down and plough on here. That mob are a couple of results from a complete meltdown, but if we can take care of business ourselves, we can just enjoy that when it comes.

Buzzing for the Gers tonight, just gutted we're not all there.

The no fans scenario is not normal but it is 100% fair though (if it lasts all season) as it impacts all teams. I agree we have probably dealt with it better but it doesn’t theoretically give any one team an advantage Or disadvantage, unless you maybe argue that if fans do come back at some point then if you have had more home games than other teams before they came back you might have been somewhat disadvantaged. A little bit different from some of the ways we have been disadvantaged in the past!
There maybe some fans back but i guess no where near a full house, and maybe springtime at best.
As long as we won the league, then who cares.

I’ve been saying it for ages. He’s not won one title with a genuine challenge. You could asterix every one of his “achievements” at the piggery.

For someone born fat and ginger with teeth like a burn down fence he’s actually got more luck than you’d think.

Even taking them to one side, Aberdeen (and a few other teams) were much better During our 9iar, the difference between us and Aberdeen in a few of those seasons was 2/3 wins, they never had that level of challenge from the other clubs (due to much larger financial disparity by then). During our absence the closest they were ever run by the 2nd placed side was 15 points, after which their manager got sacked.

I agree.

As I was home early and bored I had a look at our nine and found that Celtic were 2nd twice, 3rd 4 times, 4th twice and 5th once.

When they finished 2nd it was 4 and 5 points of a difference and 3 points for a win.

When 3rd 10,14,10,13 points behind us and 4,12,1,4 behind 2nd when it was 2points a win so 3 of those they were close to finishing second albeit still a bit behind us.

I would go on about 4th and 5th but it’s fair to say they weren’t in it those years.

During those seasons the only seasons that we won by a fair margin was 91/92, 92/93 and 94/95. (9,9&15 points respectively). The 1st 2 were 2 points for a win and last was 3, so a 5 game margin. This shows that the biggest margin we have won by during our 9 was the smallest margin they have won in there 8 & a gift.

I agree.

As I was home early and bored I had a look at our nine and found that Celtic were 2nd twice, 3rd 4 times, 4th twice and 5th once.

When they finished 2nd it was 4 and 5 points of a difference and 3 points for a win.

When 3rd 10,14,10,13 points behind us and 4,12,1,4 behind 2nd when it was 2points a win so 3 of those they were close to finishing second albeit still a bit behind us.

I would go on about 4th and 5th but it’s fair to say they weren’t in it those years.

During those seasons the only seasons that we won by a fair margin was 91/92, 92/93 and 94/95. (9,9&15 points respectively). The 1st 2 were 2 points for a win and last was 3, so a 5 game margin. This shows that the biggest margin we have won by during our 9 was the smallest margin they have won in there 8 & a gift. It shows to an extent they weren’t for off us during ours but there’s was a cake walk in comparison.

Name me one other possible winner of those titles.
Celtic were1/50 to win the titles without us in the race ffs!
1/50 shots get beaten every day in the gambling world.
Leicester were 50,000/1 to win the league.

It's unlikely but bad management choices of which that Ronny Diela was one combined with a higher than expected performance from Aberdeen could have cause an upset that season.

It's unlikely but bad management choices of which that Ronny Diela was one combined with a higher than expected performance from Aberdeen could have cause an upset that season.
Drugs are dangerous and best avoided.

A point seemingly missed by the media and worth reiterating. He has never won it under normal circumstances.

2011/12 = Rangers deducted 10 points
2012/13 = no Rangers
2013/14 = no Rangers
2018/19 = takes over from Rodgers in February
2019/20 = league awarded early by email.

Never has a Celtic manager had it easier. He won't be able to deal with the pressure. We can already see him cracking.
It is also because he is not normal

He won them fair and square but anyone could’ve been manager and won them that league.

That is the point the media sweeps well under the carpet. You can easily check out via TM that by 2012 Celtic had assembled a squad to the tune of 30 m (in transfer fees, not counting "home-grown talent" and freebies) and due to CL income and multi-million transfer fees kept that figure pretty constant over the years to this day. Over the course of our absence, you can easily also figure out that the rest of the top tier teams combined were only able to spend less than 1-2 m in total. As I pointed out before, winning that league still meant that football had to be played, but that was essentially like Bayern Munich winning the Bundesliga 3 for 4 or 5 years on the trott, "quality in players"-wise.

I know that during our NIAR, no team bar the Scum spent millions either, but the standard of players attracted to Scotland was still higher and teams had some drawing potential, if not that much.

BTW, each time a saw TLB on his bench during the Old Firm game I thought that this being looks every inch what I despise in this club.

So many desperate to jump to Celtic's defense, "we had chucked the league anyway" "it still counts even if we aren't there". Also splitting hairs over OP's use of the word 'normal' in the thread title when everyone knew what he meant.

Why?

I agree.

During those seasons the only seasons that we won by a fair margin was 91/92, 92/93 and 94/95. (9,9&15 points respectively). The 1st 2 were 2 points for a win and last was 3, so a 5 game margin. This shows that the biggest margin we have won by during our 9 was the smallest margin they have won in there 8 & a gift.
To be fair the season they finished 5th they only just got 5th on goal difference with 3 teams all finishing on the same points. Could easily have finished 7th but had a superior goal difference to Motherwell and Hibs who finished level on points with them - their magnificent goal difference was 0.

In a 36 game campaign they only scored 37 goals and only Dundee who were relegated won fewer games than them. They were, in fact, only 10 points clearer to Dundee and closer to relegation than they were to the title.

They really were pish that season :)):)):))

Didn't think this was worth starting a thread for, but I know I find myself wondering how fans of other clubs view how that lot behave. On the Totally Scottish Football podcast this week, they were discussing the Scottish Cup Semis and touched on how strange the whole thing. The girl who works in Motherwell's media department, Laura Brannanm made a comment that "we all know why this is happening".

Just because Rangers were not in the league, doesn't mean he didn't win those fair and square. The only 2 that id question were through the points deduction, and last season.
He won them fair and square with no challenge what so ever. Nobody had even the smallest % of what Celtic had spending power wise. There was no fair competition. So, I'd agree with the OP - he hasn't won a fair normal league title.

To be fair the season they finished 5th they only just got 5th on goal difference with 3 teams all finishing on the same points. Could easily have finished 7th but had a superior goal difference to Motherwell and Hibs who finished level on points with them - their magnificent goal difference was 0.

In a 36 game campaign they only scored 37 goals and only Dundee who were relegated won fewer games than them. They were, in fact, only 10 points clearer to Dundee and closer to relegation than they were to the title.

They really were pish that season :)):)):))
There are many other little things I picked up whilst having a look at it but I never noticed that and my memory of it isn’t much at all as I was still a wee lad in shorts back then. :)):))

Fukc the little ratbag..Far too many column space taken up speaking about this little beadrattling, bigoted, insignificant little scrote.
Hope nothing but the worst to the bastard.

Think it was 5,000/1 for Leicester.

Did you bet them? ;)

Or, indeed, any of the mhanky mhobs competitors in the years we weren't there?

There is a reason you seldom see a poor bookie. Long odds like this don't mean that it is impossible for the outsider to win just highly unlikely. Even in a one horse race the only horse could potentially fall and not make the finish line.

The fact is the bheasts beat the competition that was put in front of them, as you rightly say, but, based on the history of Scottish football, most sensible people recognise that that was, in fact, no competition at all and the bookies were ultimately proved to be correct.

Last edited:
There are many other little things I picked up whilst having a look at it but I never noticed that and my memory of it isn’t much at all as I was still a wee lad in shorts back then. :)):))
Your post, and particularly the mention of them finishing 5th, brought back memories of that season and how bad they were and I had a vague recollection of them being lucky to get 5th - so did exactly as you did and went and checked the record books.

Happy days

Was trying to find out the other day when the last time was we won all four OF games. Any idea?

If we win all four this season, which I think is entirely possible, then we win the league IMO.
Quite possibly never, not sure how far back the 4 old firm games a season goes.

Old firm games for me though are usually not really that deciding. Aim to win your home games against them and it nullifies any negative result away to them, and any win or a draw away is a bonus. The winner of the first one has went on to win the league much more often than not though.

Consistency against the rest is what wins titles I think, always built on a solid defence.

I think the Op was questioning how he would deal with the pressure of proper competition.

Quite possibly never, not sure how far back the 4 old firm games a season goes.

Old firm games for me though are usually not really that deciding. Aim to win your home games against them and it nullifies any negative result away to them, and any win or a draw away is a bonus. The winner of the first one has went on to win the league much more often than not though.

Consistency against the rest is what wins titles I think, always built on a solid defence.
1996 - 97 I think

A point seemingly missed by the media and worth reiterating. He has never won it under normal circumstances.

2011/12 = Rangers deducted 10 points
2012/13 = no Rangers
2013/14 = no Rangers
2018/19 = takes over from Rodgers in February
2019/20 = league awarded early by email.

Never has a Celtic manager had it easier. He won't be able to deal with the pressure. We can already see him cracking.
The only thing that will get him anything this season, is once again the SPFL.

Back