Lennon hints at yahoo wage cuts

Walters80

Interesting quote in the Daily rebel

Celtic have an annual wage bill which is understood to be near £60million and Lennon has admitted that cuts may have to be considered in the near future with the prospect of another three months at the very least without games.

Selling season tickets already for a season that might not start and putting the issue of wage cuts out in the open. Also hinting in the same interview they might be desperate to sell Edouard soon.

Last edited:
They are desperately waiting for Rangers to announce some kind of wage cut so their press poodles can the bury the story of them doing similar.

It shows how arrogant and devious they continue to be, even under the horrendous circumstances we are all facing.

And no, it doesn't surprise me.

If anyone is coped to get through this its them. Desmond has serious cash. They wont be going anywhere from cash flow issues.

They are desperately waiting for Rangers to announce some kind of wage cut so their press poodles can the bury the story of them doing similar.

It shows how arrogant and devious they continue to be, even under the horrendous circumstances we are all facing.

And no, it doesn't surprise me.

I fully believe that that’s exactly what they are hoping for. Whilst we should never base our strategy on what they do, with their wage bill it may be hurting them more than it is us right now!

Lucky I’m not in charge as I’d refuse to blink in that particular poker game and watch as they cripple themselves further as they try to placate their fans who want to believe we are fu.cked then announce our measures the very next day.

Then announce our investment!

60 million a year? seriously? how is that sustainable in this country.is ours anywhere near that?

The gap is not as big as some might imagine.

Figures produced by the Global Sports Salaries Survey (GSSS) for Sep 2019 show that their average annual salary for a first team player is £895,564. Ours is £649,771, so its basically £900k v £650k.

A year ago they were earning nearly double - £865,614 v £466,556 but the difference has been cut from £400k to £250k in the space of 12 months.

Both of us will need to do it and probably should have done it already. The top clubs in Europe have done it. I think there’s a bit of posturing between Rangers and them to see who blinks first

Oh is that right Tommy aye?

Think Desmond will also need his his vast cash reserves to pay compensation on the paedo ring that Celtic football club covered up for over four decades?

I'm not saying they wont but a quick google search has him at 1.9 billion. They will be fine. Your kidding yourself if you think they wont be.

If anyone is coped to get through this its them. Desmond has serious cash. They wont be going anywhere from cash flow issues.

desmond won’t be throwing any cash in. He’s been taking cash out for years. They have cash because of CL money and transfers.
the problem they’ll have with wage cuts is why would players accept wage cuts when the club have allegedly got £30m spare cash?

When was the last time Desmond put significant into Celtic like?

It doesnt matter if he has or no. The fact is though the capital is there if worst case scenario. If we were ownee by someone that rich we would be saying the same.

It doesnt matter if he has or no. The fact is though the capital is there if worst case scenario. If we were ownee by someone that rich we would be saying the same.

So let’s get this right. You think Desmond will step up and pay their wages through all this?

I'm not saying they wont but a quick google search has him at 1.9 billion. They will be fine. Your kidding yourself if you think they wont be.
Yes and no the curie situation has prob knocked a massive debt in his income he will have enough to pull it back after it is all over

We're far from immune and am sure will have a cut in wages soon.

However, I've wondered in recent times if this pandemic might see a levelling of the playing field of a sort.

The tims have monthly running costs of 7m, £5m of which is wages. Oh how they boasted of having £30m+ maybe even £40m in cash at turn of year. Well by my reckoning, whatever the true amount was, this will be draining at a rapid rate leaving them with little when the season starts, whether that be August, September or whenever.

So yes, they may even be looking to offload, and I would think few clubs will be looking to pay stupid money when season starts, given how cash strapped even the biggest of clubs are.

So let’s get this right. You think Desmond will step up and pay their wages through all this?

I really dont know what hed do. They are in a far better position to pay wages to players than any other club in the league though. That's a fact. Dont know why ppl are getting there pants in a twist over that.

I really dont know what hed do. They are in a far better position to pay wages to players than any other club in the league though. That's a fact. Dont know why ppl are getting there pants in a twist over that.

You’re the one on the thread saying there’s absolutely no issue there despite there being a quote from their manager saying they’ll probably need to implement a cut - As most teams will.

That’s why there so desperate to be handed the title if we keep paying our players wages and they have to do cuts it will look bad for them

They will be waiting to see what % we ask our players to cut so they can go 5-10% below it.

They need to keep the narrative to their fans that we are skint but look at us. We only drop our players wages by x amount.

You’re the one on the thread saying there’s absolutely no issue there despite there being a quote from their manager saying they’ll probably need to implement a cut - As most teams will.

Yeah they may ask players to cut it. What I'm saying though is they have a billionaire behind them so worst case scenario they will be fine. That was all.

Dermot Desmond is a hard-nosed businessman. His businesses are no different from any other businesses. Every business, apart from supermarkets, pharmacies and delivery transport is being hit badly. Celtic FC will be low on his priorities. Look at Mike Ashley and Newcastle and the lay-offs there. If Barca are applying mandatory 70% wage cuts then no club is safe from cuts. When Celtic failed to reach the Champions League group stages two years ago they couldn’t get Dembele out the door fast enough. His transfer fee kept the books straight.

We're far from immune and am sure will have a cut in wages soon.

However, I've wondered in recent times if this pandemic might see a levelling of the playing field of a sort.

The tims have monthly running costs of 7m, £5m of which is wages. Oh how they boasted of having £30m+ maybe even £40m in cash at turn of year. Well by my reckoning, whatever the true amount was, this will be draining at a rapid rate leaving them with little when the season starts, whether that be August, September or whenever.

So yes, they may even be looking to offload, and I would think few clubs will be looking to pay stupid money when season starts, given how cash strapped even the biggest of clubs are.

Good post.

I think at their last year end it was over 30m as you suggest, however that’s right at the start of the season when all of the ST & Sponsorship cash was in. They had over 20m of deferred assets at end June. That’s cash received for a period that relates to later months during the season.

In simple terms they will probably have had significantly less cash at the start of this lockdown than at end June.

Back