Lennon hints at yahoo wage cuts

Celtic dont have a massive tax bill haging over them though. Realistically he wont let them go to the wall over this. Hel give them the money and in the contract itl be made sure it gets paid back. Murray shit the bed over the tax bill. We had 17 million debt to the banks getting paid back by 1 million a year Nd the banks were happy with that. murray knew the tax bill could cripple him so got out instead of seeing it out. And if he had of seen it out we would have been fine. 500 million doesnt touch the sides of 1.9 billion. It's no even comparable. As I've said even if it's a loan from Desmond to the club to be paid back they are in a better position than anyone in scotland to survive this. Theres not one ounce of an argument to say any other club is in a better position than them to do it.

Tommy, you’re trying to pick a fight mate & I really can’t be bothered arguing, because I don’t know the man or his thinking.

Either way, if they don’t make the CL Group
Stage at some time in the months ahead, that’s a massive blow to them, and that’s before the impact of this virus, and potential child abuse payments. And they’re running out of sellable assets.

How they handle it, time will tell.

Celtic dont have a massive tax bill haging over them though. Realistically he wont let them go to the wall over this. Hel give them the money and in the contract itl be made sure it gets paid back. Murray shit the bed over the tax bill. We had 17 million debt to the banks getting paid back by 1 million a year Nd the banks were happy with that. murray knew the tax bill could cripple him so got out instead of seeing it out. And if he had of seen it out we would have been fine. 500 million doesnt touch the sides of 1.9 billion. It's no even comparable. As I've said even if it's a loan from Desmond to the club to be paid back they are in a better position than anyone in scotland to survive this. Theres not one ounce of an argument to say any other club is in a better position than them to do it.
I don’t think that’s strictly true on the Murray situation The bank were not happy with £1m a year Bank forced the sale did they not? Not defending Murray as he knew he was sacrificing us to save his wider business interests.

Do you work for Hollicom?

For very rich people, football investments are side matters to provide some entertainment and kudos.
Therefore they are much more likely to be focused on their core business when there is a significant financial crisis as well as a social one.
I would be surprised if the cooperative bank was not forced to call in it’s loan facility to Celtic at some point in the months ahead. The bank will have to amend its balance sheet to create as positive a picture as possible if it is not going to fall over...

I really dont know what hed do. They are in a far better position to pay wages to players than any other club in the league though. That's a fact. Dont know why ppl are getting there pants in a twist over that.
Tell me how it’s fact? Backed up with what? The richest men in the world are losing millions daily. Desmond is putting £0 in to Celtic this year.

I think they have operating costs of around £230k a day.

I'm not sure what ours is but we'll need to be looking at this too eventually

The mere fact that they will have to do it regardless of at what % will scunner them.

We should wait to they do then go slightly lower.

We're not but I'll guarantee our announcement of wage cuts will be met with a level of rabid hysteria from the press that not a single other club will get
I made this exact point on a couple of threads now.
One of the scaremongering/Armageddon/transparency threads we had on the subject.
I posted that the press would go after King with things like “where’s the £30m promised” and “what happened to spending the children’s inheritance?”
Add in that we’d be skint, we’d be putting out the begging bowl and that admin 2(000) was just around the corner.
I also asked if the players themselves were happier that any discussions were being kept under wraps.
I‘m quite happy the club aren’t ceding to demands for transparency etc. For now.

No doubting Rangers will need to do this as well but the speed at which they are trying to sell season tickets and going public about wage cuts paints a picture of a club that’s nowhere near financially sound as it likes to foam at the mouth about.
Victim payments springs to mind ;)

Their cash in the bank will only go so far. Their moneymen have lost about 30% of their stock wealth in recent weeks. Eventually that big fat wage bill is going to bite them. Looks like its sharpening its teeth!

The gap is not as big as some might imagine.

Figures produced by the Global Sports Salaries Survey (GSSS) for Sep 2019 show that their average annual salary for a first team player is £895,564. Ours is £649,771, so its basically £900k v £650k.

A year ago they were earning nearly double - £865,614 v £466,556 but the difference has been cut from £400k to £250k in the space of 12 months.

I think their squad is probably 30% bigger which will have an impact? No?

I really dont know what hed do. They are in a far better position to pay wages to players than any other club in the league though. That's a fact. Dont know why ppl are getting there pants in a twist over that.
Probably because at the very least you pay too much attention to your mentally challenged friends? And the lies they spout?

The gap is not as big as some might imagine.

Figures produced by the Global Sports Salaries Survey (GSSS) for Sep 2019 show that their average annual salary for a first team player is £895,564. Ours is £649,771, so its basically £900k v £650k.

A year ago they were earning nearly double - £865,614 v £466,556 but the difference has been cut from £400k to £250k in the space of 12 months.

That's still a difference of an average of £150k per player, so let's say it is based on a first team squad of 22 players, that's 22x150k = an extra £3.3m a year they are paying on wages alone.
If we were to pick up say 4 good players on Bosmans, even if we paid them £825k a year (16k per week)each we'd still only be paying the same as the filth on wages, with a bigger squad than we have now with better quality.

Just because you are a billionaire doesn't mean you're going to blow millions on prima donna wage pockets quid pro quo and he will need his cash.

Considering they aren't doing anything at all at the moment you would consider it the fair thing to do. However, it would be good if their players refuse to do it.

You do wonder though. A club with endless millions in the bank that they keep telling us about why would they need to bother about it for a couple of months?

The article the op refers to tlb was

Asked if cuts were a possibility, he said: “Yes.

"We’ll probably have a look at things at the end of April in terms of the club as a whole”.

"Peter Lawwell and the board will review it then. At the minute, we are okay.

I would be very surprised if we haven’t taken action before then. The pr@cks are playing poker and seeing who blinks first imo.

Last edited:
The article the op refers to tlb was

Asked if cuts were a possibility, he said: “Yes.

"We’ll probably have a look at things at the end of April in terms of the club as a whole”.

"Peter Lawwell and the board will review it then. At the minute, we are okay.

I would be very surprised if we haven’t taken action before then. The pr@cks are playing poker and seeing who blinks first imo.

Edit. quoted wrong person, sorry.

It was high risk hoping for Champions League money every year, and their supply of saleable assets are also wearing thin never mind a worldwide pandemic.

We'll be in a bit of bother but it's them who could really be in bother.

I wouldn't expect teams to hit the ground running when the football comes back either, momentum and team cohesion are degrading the longer this goes on.

Back