Lennon hints at yahoo wage cuts

Not quite sure why everyone is piling in on Tommy.

He's not saying that their board will give them cash to avoid paycuts while every other club is going to be offering paycuts. Unless there is a remarkable turnaround then every club in the top league in Scotland will be applying pay cuts.

He's saying that the tims are better placed financially to deal with this situation than we are. And that's just a fact, and it's also in part to having not just one but two really wealthy people on the board who will look to protect their investments. Desmond isn't even the wealthiest iirc there's another guy who's wealth eclipses his but can't remember his name.

But if you look at the stories , we have 5 cases against our club. So do Dundee United, Hibs , the SFA and others.
Paedo's seems to have been everywhere in Football and wider society

Must have missed the multiple convictions from all these clubs can you enlighten me.

One club has five people CONVICTED of this and covered up a paedo ring for four decades - Celtic.

Why is it with every thread about other teams on here some "expert" HAS to chime in with "aye but were in the same boat".
We all know the financial situation were in, your sounding like radio fckn snyde, cant criticize them without Lumping us in with them ?
Ffs......
It's a mantra along with "that's point scoring", "we have to stop being smug" and "to be fair/honest".

I hope their players tell them to go and do one. Why would any one of them on a short contract feel like taking a financial haircut when shareholders are not willing to dig into their own pockets first?

It would be so funny if Rangers had insurance for a pandemic and the rest went bust :))
Then we are drafted into the EPL now that would be justice :))

all this well run company stuff is pash.

A monkey could run a business that has over 100 mill coming in via Euro TV dosh in, 8 years.
Add in 25 mill for the injured guy.

Now looking at reducing wages FFS

will it include the living wage folk or just the thousands a week players

Quick to criticise Budge for knowing her limitations and reacting quickly though.

Pretty sure Rangers will be doing the same.

He's not saying that their board will give them cash to avoid paycuts while every other club is going to be offering paycuts. Unless there is a remarkable turnaround then every club in the top league in Scotland will be applying pay cuts.

He's saying that the tims are better placed financially to deal with this situation than we are. And that's just a fact, and it's also in part to having not just one but two really wealthy people on the board who will look to protect their investments. Desmond isn't even the wealthiest iirc there's another guy who's wealth eclipses his but can't remember his name.

Is it really a fact though?

They have debt, we don't.
They have impending victims abuse payouts to pay, circa £21m, we don't.
They have a £60m wage bill, we don't.
They have a crumbling stadium, we don't.

Is it really a fact though?

They have debt, we don't.
They have impending victims abuse payouts to pay, circa £21m, we don't.
They have a £60m wage bill, we don't.
They have a crumbling stadium, we don't.

I'm not going to sit here and make a list of things that the tims have that we don't have but our last set of reports said that there was a need for investment and that we were a going concern. If you think that we are in a better place financially than them then fair enough.

I'm not going to sit here and make a list of things that the tims have that we don't have but our last set of reports said that there was a need for investment and that we were a going concern. If you think that we are in a better place financially than them then fair enough.

Yes we need investment and we have it. I'm just not convinced that they are better placed financially than we are.

I've just had a quick look at ours. Financial year ending June 2019

Turnover £53.171m
Staff costs £34.488m

Equates to 64.8%.

Our turnover for this year will be higher than last years so expect this figure to drop.

Based on what financial year?
Based on selling biscuit hips for 25m or champions league money?

Based on 2018, the most recent year that figures were available for. Tierney won't be included as he was only sold in the summer of 2019. Not sure if it would include champions league money. I would guess so but couldn't be sure. Would either be Rodgers 2nd season where he made the group stage or his 3rd where they didn't. If it's the latter it would include a big fee for Dembele.

Anyone who thinks we are in a better position than them to deal with the shock and disruption caused by the Coronavirus's impact on football is deluded or kidding themselves on. I suspect it will have a massive impact on the entire league if we don't have the next season starting by the end of summer.

Your are thinking of Denis crooked as feck O’Brien he’s a minority shareholder of Pedo fc.Fritz is the largest individual shareholder

Are you taking the piss ? The biggest clubs on the planet wage bill dwarfs us and them. I'm saying and il say it again so you understand. If and a big if they had to keep paying the wages the have a billionaire who can. Hed get his money back through it written in a contract etc that money put in has to be paid back. But with a billionaire behind them paying wages for 4 to 6 months is more than doable. Are you saying it's not?. Are you saying what I'm saying is so far fetched?.
He probably doesn't have a lot of free cash lying about plus he will need money to keep his other businesses afloat. His No 1 priority won't be to pay players wages.

Based on 2018, the most recent year that figures were available for. Tierney won't be included as he was only sold in the summer of 2019. Not sure if it would include champions league money. I would guess so but couldn't be sure. Would either be Rodgers 2nd season where he made the group stage or his 3rd where they didn't. If it's the latter it would include a big fee for Dembele.

Anyone who thinks we are in a better position than them to deal with the shock and disruption caused by the Coronavirus's impact on football is deluded or kidding themselves on. I suspect it will have a massive impact on the entire league if we don't have the next season starting by the end of summer.

I just looked at their accounts for the same period as us (I feel filthy)

Income £83.4m (down from £101.5 previous year)
Wages £60m (couldn't find this figure alone)

Equates to 71.9% of earnings.

See my post above about ours.

Oh you used the buzz word deluded, I'm convinced.
You admit you don't know all the facts but can state for certain we are in a worse position that them to ride out this crisis. I'm defo convinced now

You admit you don't know all the facts but can state for certain we are in a worse position that them to ride out this crisis. I'm defo convinced now

End of June financials for both clubs, we are closer to them than I thought though.

Them - 71.9%
Us - 64.8%

No ifs, buts or maybes. (Possibly a maybe because I went on their reported £60m wage bill, I couldn't see the actuals)

We've been making multi million pound losses year in year out, and are dependant on wealthy individuals prepared to use their own money to fill the shortfall. That's why were are in more trouble than them.

Even under normal pre corona circumstances an interruption to cashflow from ST sales and European money would have been a big problem. Now with the worldwide recession that will be triggered, it's going to be even more of a challenge.

I'm not saying they wont but a quick google search has him at 1.9 billion. They will be fine. Your kidding yourself if you think they wont be.
He has that kind of cash because he doesnt lavish it i=on shite like paying football players. Celtic are a plc....

Our latest annual results

Turnover £53.2m

Operating expenses £58.2m

Loss for the year £11.3m

Bheast FC

Group revenue £83.4m

Operating expenses including labour £86.9m

Gain on sale of player registrations of £17.7m (doesn’t include biscuit hips fee)

Year-end net cash, net of debt and debt like items, of £38.9m

I'm seeing Revenue v Operating expenses as not being in a good position. They've been lucky with player sales but they're not a well run club.

I'm seeing Revenue v Operating expenses as not being in a good position. They've been lucky with player sales but they're not a well run club.

They would’ve had a big loss were it not for the Dembele 20m & Rodgers 8m from Leicester.

They need CL or a big player sale every year to make money mate.

Our latest annual results

Turnover £53.2m

Operating expenses £58.2m

Loss for the year £11.3m

Bheast FC

Group revenue £83.4m

Operating expenses including labour £86.9m

Gain on sale of player registrations of £17.7m (doesn’t include biscuit hips fee)

Year-end net cash, net of debt and debt like items, of £38.9m

Is this where the “cash rich” expression derived from? They are paying 5million a month on wages so they won’t be long in burning through that.

I just looked at their accounts for the same period as us (I feel filthy)

Income £83.4m (down from £101.5 previous year)
Wages £60m (couldn't find this figure alone)

Equates to 71.9% of earnings.

See my post above about ours.

The Wages costs reduced slightly from 59.3m to 56.1m mate.

Other operating costs increased so it netted off at 87m operating costs in both 2018 & 2019.

Cash was 34m at end June, and they had loans of over 5m combined from their bank & Co op.

As a show of strength we should hold firm on any pay cuts. In fact, perhaps a modest pay rise and new contracts for our star players would really rile them.

In addition we should look at picking up one or two of their players on the cheap. Isn't Rogic out of contract in summer?

As a show of strength we should hold firm on any pay cuts. In fact, perhaps a modest pay rise and new contracts for our star players would really rile them.

In addition we should look at picking up one or two of their players on the cheap. Isn't Rogic out of contract in summer?

Every club in the UK is going to have to address this, including our own. I'd like to see the players take the initiative and make proposals to the Club, because an agreed strategy is better than an enforced one.

Whether we see wage cuts, or simply deferrals, remains to be seen. We will be doing it though. Without a doubt.

Every club in the UK is going to have to address this, including our own. I'd like to see the players take the initiative and make proposals to the Club, because an agreed strategy is better than an enforced one.

Whether we see wage cuts, or simply deferrals, remains to be seen. We will be doing it though. Without a doubt.

Agree with your suggestion VB.

Just a thought has this maybe been put in place and the club simply keeping it quiet.

Just a thought has this maybe been put in place and the club simply keeping it quiet.

I'm certainly not one of those who regularly demands 'transparency' or daily updates from the Club on anything and everything. Far from it. On this matter though, I think if we'd reached agreement with the players then we would, and should, publicise it. There's big clubs all over Europe doing it and I see the EPL and EFL are to meet to try and agree a communal strategy (even though some clubs/players have already done their thing). Unfortunately, I don't think the 'communal strategy' thing is something that will gain traction in Scotland. I can only assume we are still in dialogue with the players - and let's not forget the other staff - on this subject.

It will be a much bigger issue for some than others. What about a player who goes out of contract on 31 May, for example, and will be in limbo with nowhere he can go and no prospect of employment/salary until football starts back again? Can we expect him to say he will take a wage cut or deferral? Then there's the staff much further down the 'food chain' - it could have real impacts on them, just as many others not in the football World have been impacted. Its a difficult negotiation exacerbated, for the football players at least, by the fact some are overseas and the remainder may be all over the UK.

Could it be that we might be just about getting by because of The Europa League run?

Maybe I've turned the blue tinted specs up to 55, maybe we’re going to be okay.

I'm certainly not one of those who regularly demands 'transparency' or daily updates from the Club on anything and everything. Far from it. On this matter though, I think if we'd reached agreement with the players then we would, and should, publicise it. There's big clubs all over Europe doing it and I see the EPL and EFL are to meet to try and agree a communal strategy (even though some clubs/players have already done their thing). Unfortunately, I don't think the 'communal strategy' thing is something that will gain traction in Scotland. I can only assume we are still in dialogue with the players - and let's not forget the other staff - on this subject.

It will be a much bigger issue for some than others. What about a player who goes out of contract on 31 May, for example, and will be in limbo with nowhere he can go and no prospect of employment/salary until football starts back again? Can we expect him to say he will take a wage cut or deferral? Then there's the staff much further down the 'food chain' - it could have real impacts on them, just as many others not in the football World have been impacted. Its a difficult negotiation exacerbated, for the football players at least, by the fact some are overseas and the remainder may be all over the UK.
Sensible post but I doubt we are in dialogue with the players yet or it would be all over the press. The way it is working at other clubs is agents immediately leak any discussions.
I am sure the board will have developed their plan and are waiting for the right timing to implement it.

Back