Lennon in Ryan Christie Celtic transfer acceptance but Hoops boss holds out new deal hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm personally hoping it's only Morelos leaving and possibly Defoe hanging up the boots then bring in a new affordable striker to compete with Roofe and Itten for a start
I dont think Defoe is done yet.
If Morelos leaves , yes another in
I think alot depends on how Itten progresses on the money we spend on a new striker.
I have actually changed my mind on defoe/ davis where we shouldnt renew their deals in the summer.
I would give them one more year.
I would loose stewart, jones and edmunson in the Summer.

We can all have our opinion on how good or not he is but the fact is regardless of that he’s a huge asset for them.

His goals and assists last season in the league were 11 and 11 in 24 games for them so he’d be a loss and that’s good for us

I dont think Defoe is done yet.
If Morelos leaves , yes another in
I think alot depends on how Itten progresses on the money we spend on a new striker.
I have actually changed my mind on defoe/ davis where we shouldnt renew their deals in the summer.
I would give them one more year.
I would loose stewart, jones and edmunson in the Summer.
Out: Morelos (we need that big money sale to tell clubs we aren't pushovers anymore)
Jones
Stewart
Edmundson

Extend deals for Defoe McGregor Balogun and Davis if the want however I don't know how long they can last

In:
A new marquee striker
A RW ( Murphy from Newcastle or Samuel from QPR are available on a pre contract)
Long term successors for Davis (Zungu possibly) and McGregor (McCrorie has been shocking this season at Livi)

Last edited:
If Christie Ajer and Eduard go they will get a lot of money in to replace them that's the thing we have to hope that they continue to waste it

The money they get will be to plug the massive loss they are heading for in this years accounts.

they will sell him for pennies once he signs a pre contract with an EFL team or at best a low placed EPL team, the guys a decent enough player and him going means they lose a first team regular.

For a "rubbish footballer" Christie still hit over 35 goals and assists for them last season. He's already on 10 this year. I don't rate him as highly as some, but the hyperbole on here in the pursuit of being seen as staunch is fast becoming exhausting. His leaving would clearly be a loss for them.

He's a player who is crying out for a proper manager to instill some discipline into his game. It's no surprise at all that he wants out under Lennon.
There’s no doubt he contributes a fair bit for Celtic as you mention but when he comes up against decent teams in Europe and against us he struggles as his shoot on site policy doesn’t work and he doesn’t get the space. He had a good second half against Serbia last week but apart from scoring penalties he’s done very little for Scotland.

I hope they give him a new contract on big money. He is chronic.
He really isn’t chronic, no matter how much you tell yourself he is. He is a good player and, together with McGregor, is one who can make a difference in a game for them.

There’s no doubt he contributes a fair bit for Celtic as you mention but when he comes up against decent teams in Europe and against us he struggles as his shoot on site policy doesn’t work and he doesn’t get the space. He had a good second half against Serbia last week but apart from scoring penalties he’s done very little for Scotland.

I wouldn't really disagree with that - he's a bit of a flat track bully. But you can guarantee he'll hit over 20 goals and assists from midfield each season, which is huge in this league and has been our downfall in recent years. Replacing those figures won't be easy for them.

"Rubbish footballer" and "chronic" is pure nonsense.

He really isn’t chronic, no matter how much you tell yourself he is. He is a good player and, together with McGregor, is one who can make a difference in a game for them.
He really is. Constantly gets caught in possession and wastes opportunity after opportunity with terrible decision making. Occasionally can score a wonder goal. Like I said, he's rated higher on here than he is amongst the Celtic support.

I remember the doings they handed out to us regularly when we came back to the top division and it still hurts the way that we were swatted out the way.
They bought into all the mock adulation and hype light years ahead/the invincibles etc etc, and took their eye off the ball with complacency.
We had a root and branch clearout with the right staff in the right posts allied to a huge upturn in the skill set of the players recruited and with a board that initially steaded the ship now going on to fully back our young hungry focussed manager.
Imo the turnaround has been quite spectacular, it is correct that no silverware has been won but there is only one team in the city heading upwards and it is mine and yours.

Good player - in the spl. He's never performed in Europe, he's inconsistent and just looks like a guy who would struggle to take a step up. Could see a championship side taking a chance on him.

They have a problem. Christie, eduoard, ajer and ntcham all have 18 months left and all want to go. Value is diminishing by the day and they need the money, do they hold on till the summer when they clearly dont want to be there anyway or take what they can get in January?
Not one of then look like signing a new deal and why would they especially edouard and Ajer who will get massive signing on fees if they leave for free ntcham hates it there so he would sign a new deal either. Christie is the only one I'd say they have a chance keeping and even that is diminishing by the day working with Lennon won't be improving the lad and he'll know that he only needs to take one look at jack when he's away with Scotland to see what proper coaching can do.

Ryan Christie would be an absolute moron to sign a new deal. He'll have 12 month left on his deal after the EURO's. He'll be able to leave on a smaller fee and probably get a higher wage due to a smaller fee and a larger profile at the EURO's.

He's not the only one Ntcham, Édouard and Ajer are all out of contract in 2022. All in that is 4 of their highest value players (McGregor is probably their only other high value player). In their desire to get 10iAR* and cement their legacy, they have played a massive financial blunder. They have allowed 4 of their highest value players to run down their contract and in turn run down their value.

Celtic will have a complete rebuild job next season if those 4 leave, brown retires and the 3 loans leave. That's before you add in McGregor and potentially Julien wanting out. The problem is they won't be able to command the sort of fees they would want for Édouard, Ajer, Ntcham and Christie. You're talking losing 30-40% of the value they had come the summer. Then the millions they will lose due to Covid. The tims could end up in the doldrums for a few years.

They will take in about 50 million from those 3 they will reinvest a significant amount of that

They broke even last season with a 25 million sale, fans in the ground and winning their europa group and this summer they've spent the guts of 20 million. Wont be much left.

Out: Morelos (we need that big money sale to tell clubs we aren't pushovers anymore
Jones
Stewart
Edmundson

Extend deals for Defoe McGregor Balogun and Davis if the want however I don't know how long they can last

In:
A new marquee striker
A RW ( Murphy from Newcastle or Samuel from QPR are available on a pre contract)
Long term successors for Davis (Zungu possibly) and McGregor (McCrorie has been shocking this season at Livi)
Long term , who cares re mcgregor at the moment.
We picked up mclauchlin who is approx 6 years younger than mcgregor.
If Mcrorie aint the answer then so motte it be.

I hope they give him a new contract on big money. He is chronic.
Chronic a bit too far but he’s massively overrated and overhyped.

He’s always seemed a bit raw and uncultured but I think he’s developed aspects of his game in last year or so and he’s obviously a goal threat given his willingness to shoot from anywhere.

He’s 25 however so he’s hardly some young pup who’s rawness and lack of polish can be excused by youth.

I reckon he’ll end up down south as a non-entity squad player such as Armstrong

Out: Morelos (we need that big money sale to tell clubs we aren't pushovers anymore
Jones
Stewart
Edmundson

In:
A new marquee striker
Obviously this is based on nobody leaving for big money such as Kamara.
I would get rid of Edmunson as Katic deserves to be 3 or 4th in line for the centre half position.
Stewart, edmunson and jones will not be on massive wages imo.
However it could go towards a good bosman.

He’s their only player who looks forward in the middle of the park outwith Rogic who only gives them an hour then he’s gassed. If they lose him they’re in bother.

Obviously this is based on nobody leaving for big money such as Kamara.
I would get rid of Edmunson as Katic deserves to be 3 or 4th in line for the centre half position.
Stewart, edmunson and jones will not be on massive wages imo.
However it could go towards a good bosman.
Morelos would be the big sale hopefully for £20 million or around that Brain Brobbeys deal is up at Ajax and is the next big thing if we could pri him out of there it would be a huge coupe and would mean we aren't even touching the money we bring in for Morelos.Whatever we bring in for Stewart Jones and Edmundson can go towards a high quality RW bosman (Osayi Samuel or Murphy would be an improvement on what we have) and improved deals for our key assets

Their best players IMO are Ajer, Christie and Edouard. It would be fantastic if all three left in the summer and Lennon was still there at the start the 2021/22 season.

That’d be some rebuilding job.

Also I’m really surprised that there’s some people saying he’s the level of players like McFadden, Matt Richie and a English championship player etc.

He’s streets ahead of that level imo.

You’ve only got to look how John McGinn is doing at Villa to see that there are some excellent players in Scotland right now. IMO Christie is one of them.

Along with a number of our lads, of course.

Also I’m really surprised that there’s some people saying he’s the level of players like McFadden, Matt Richie and a English championship player etc.

He’s streets ahead of that level imo.

You’ve only got to look how John McGinn is doing at Villa to see that there are some excellent players in Scotland right now. IMO Christie is one of them.

Along with a number of our lads, of course.
LOL

That's partially why my comment was about if he has done well or exceptionally well in Champions League or Europa games.

(I don't genuinely know).

Yes, I’m with you RWL.

He’s been pretty out of his depth against us in recent games, the only real domestic challenge.

He's their best player in my opinion. I watched some of their first half yesterday and he was the only threatening player who was creating chances.

Good news he wants out.

Rangers win the league and they are starting from square one again.

Christie and Edouard would only have 12 months on their contracts left at the end of the season so would probably be sold to stop them walking away on a Bosmans.

Brown will leave, Elyounoussi & laxalt loan deals will come to an end they need to find a new keeper and I'd bet Jullian and Ntchem want out as well.

Lennon and Lawwell will be hounded out of town and will Desomd want to be on the line for covering a £30m plus loss next season?

Rangers win the title and get to the CL I can see us dominating Scottish football for years to come.

Morelos would be the big sale hopefully for £20 million or around that Brain Brobbeys deal is up at Ajax and is the next big thing if we could pri him out of there it would be a huge coupe and would mean we aren't even touching the money we bring in for Morelos.Whatever we bring in for Stewart Jones and Edmundson can go towards a high quality RW bosman (Osayi Samuel or Murphy would be an improvement on what we have) and improved deals for our key assets
We dont have much surplus bar the 3 mentioned and morelos needs be away by the summer.
I would envisage that summer 2022 we need to release mcgregor, davis and defoe.
Nothing against them, but we need to move on and surely the academy needs to start producing.
Arfields contract is up in 2022 as well.

Rangers win the league and they are starting from square one again.

Christie and Edouard would only have 12 months on their contracts left at the end of the season so would probably be sold to stop them walking away on a Bosmans.

Brown will leave, Elyounoussi & laxalt loan deals will come to an end they need to find a new keeper and I'd bet Jullian and Ntchem want out as well.

Lennon and Lawwell will be hounded out of town and will Desomd want to be on the line for covering a £30m plus loss next season?

Rangers win the title and get to the CL I can see us dominating Scottish football for years to come.
Good point, they look a disaster waiting to happen and it has started.
Their sellable assets will be away soon.
Lets face it, who would want to work for wee Lenny.
They will now get loans and players that are not wanted by their clubs.

We dont have much surplus bar the 3 mentioned and morelos needs be away by the summer.
I would envisage that summer 2022 we need to release mcgregor, davis and defoe.
Nothing against them, but we need to move on and surely the academy needs to start producing.
Arfields contract is up in 2022 as well.
Spot on it's all about the squads cycle how do you minimize the impact of key players moving on and retiring our board and management structure will give us the best chance of minimizing that impact through smart recruitment and hopefully the emergence of academy talent (I'm not actually a fan our our academy but that's for another day)

He's been poor for a while now but a better manager would get more out of him. I'd be glad to see him go. Him and McGregor are the only decent midfielders they have.

It looks like he is wanting away.

Between him criticising them yesterday and highlighting brown hopefully he is losing the dressing room.

Seems strange they let his contract run down.

The press would be criticising us big time.

Celtic boss Neil Lennon has admitted Scotland hero Ryan Christie wants a different challenge but insists he isn’t itching for a move away from Celtic.

And the Hoops boss is adamant Christie still has plenty to prove at Parkhead as talks continue over an extension to his current deal.

Christie’s contract is up at the end of next season and the 25-year-old said before the international break that he was relaxed about his Celtic situation.

He then boosted his reputation further with the goal against Serbia in the Euro 2020 play-off final that helped take Scotland to their first major finals in 23 years.

The strike in Belgrade took 14-cap Christie’s tally for his country to four this season - just one short of his haul for the champions this season.

Celtic are keen to get him to commit his long term future but Inverness boss John Robertson told how the player fancies a crack abroad following conversations with Christie’s dad Charlie.

And Lennon said: “Ryan has also said he would like a different challenge at some stage in his career. Talks are ongoing between the club and his representatives.

Currently, I think he still has a lot to do and prove here at Celtic and to be fair to him he’s worked really hard the last few games.

There’s been no agitation or dropping off in his intensity level. He’s just like the rest, a little bit inconsistent at times but we understand that.

“I was delighted with his form going into the international break and he carried that on.”

Christie’s emotional post-match interview in Serbia went viral and Lennon was delighted for both his player and his adopted homeland in ending their wait to play on the big stage.

The Irishman said: “Ryan’s interview was absolutely brilliant and it shows how much it means to him. I am sure a lot of people out there watching it could relate to it.

It’s been a long, long time and football is the main sport in this country. It has given more credibility to the game here and it’s great incentive for the players at the end of the season, something to really look forward to.

“It’s been a long time of being the bridesmaid and they have broken the camel’s back and it’s great for them psychologically.”

With four Hoops stars included in Steve Clarke’s squad - Callum McGregor, Leigh Griffiths and Greg Taylor joined Christie - for the historic occasion, Lennon could reap the benefits as players fight for a place at Euro 2020.

But Lennon insists they should be motivated enough with so much at stake at club level this season. He said: “There will be a huge motivation for him but ultimately my job is to manage Celtic and I want to have a huge motivation playing for us as well, which they have shown consistently over the years.

“They have got a lot to look forward to, from domestic football and the international team, which is great, they have earned it and now they have got to build on it.”
I like Christie as a player diving basturt but a good player, he will be a big loss for them but good for us

He's their second best player and digs them out a fair bit. Guys like Forrest and Brown realise or have realised their limitations and stayed in our league through choice whereas I'm sure McGregor and Christie have something to offer at Premier League level. If he leaves they'd need to be lucky or good to replace him with someone who makes as much of an impact in the run of the mill SPFL games so hopefully he does.

Spot on it's all about the squads cycle how do you minimize the impact of key players moving on and retiring our board and management structure will give us the best chance of minimizing that impact through smart recruitment and hopefully the emergence of academy talent (I'm not actually a fan our our academy but that's for another day)
3 key players in per season, 3 out.
We needed a big cull, with the likes of docherty, halliday, rossiter, mcrorie, murphy etc.
Nothing better than Rangers fans making it at Rangers but those days are long gone bar for the odd one.
There s a feel good factor back that hasnt been there for 10 years.
Personally i would say the club behind the scenes and on the playing field is being better managed since holmes/ souness/ ogilvie.

He's their second best player and digs them out a fair bit. Guys like Forrest and Brown realise or have realised their limitations and stayed in our league through choice whereas I'm sure McGregor and Christie have something to offer at Premier League level. If he leaves they'd need to be lucky or good to replace him with someone who makes as much of an impact in the run of the mill SPFL games so hopefully he does.
Saint Brenda loves mcgregor , he could go there.

I dont know when forrest will be back.
I have no idea the recovery time for a neck extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back