Lennon never earned right to be Celtic boss, I’ve little sympathy for him and he should be sacked, says Nicholas

It goes a bit further than that does it not? It refers to catholics turning protestant in order to ‘take soup’ during the famine. A proper insult in their book.
It’s an insult in Ireland..... it means %^*& all in Glasgow unless you are a deranged bigot that cries themselves to sleep at night in the knowledge that you will always be as Irish as a doner kebab.

This is the problem that Celtic FC has created over the last 25yrs... they have whored their club to an Irish identity that is built on myth and rhetoric, and that repulses most people from Ireland. You now have youngsters born & bred in middle class areas of Glasgow, attending private school and without a want in life, who will tell anyone around that they are downtrodden political refugees.

Charlie Nicholas is correct but will look forward to Lennons response as he has reacted before to Nicholas. This one will roll on

It’s an insult in Ireland..... it means %^*& all in Glasgow unless you are a deranged bigot that cries themselves to sleep at night in the knowledge that you will always be as Irish as a doner kebab.

This is the problem that Celtic FC has created over the last 25yrs... they have whored their club to an Irish identity that is built on myth and rhetoric, and that repulses most people from Ireland. You now have youngsters born & bred in middle class areas of Glasgow, attending private school and without a want in life, who will tell anyone around that they are downtrodden political refugees.
Personally, I wouldn’t be in such a rush to dismiss or underplay the influence of the old country and its diaspora. It’s an interchangeable identity card which can be played when required. Just as they adopt and culturally appropriate the saltire and Scottishness when it suits, they’ll just as quickly revert to type and wave the tricolour and don their Eire tops when the mood and situation dictates.

I agree with you regarding your last point. This is why people like Tom Devine who question the applicability of disparity in social mobility among RCs and non RCs, are often marginalised. Fifteen, ten years ago Tom was the flavour of the month. As soon as he uttered that there was very little evidence of RCs being discriminated against in the modern Scottish workplace, Tom’s platform suddenly was moved to the background. He occasionally gets to air some opinions these days when he’s needed.

I mentioned in my earlier post about it being an insult and that its origin pertained to the famine. I have heard it used very rarely and had no idea that it had entered the lexicon of commonplace labels that the yahoos use to denigrate one another. To be honest the etymology of it is neither here nor there to me. The point is that Charlie is labelled by them in a derogatory fashion, and it neatly encapsulates how a significant number of them act as people, especially towards one another.

Last edited:
Give chick his due.

He’s gone nuclear.....definitely against the typical fat controller media narrative.

They’ll all be seething about this. :D

Personally, I wouldn’t be in such a rush to dismiss or underplay the influence of the old country and its diaspora. It’s an interchangeable identity card which can be played when required. Just as they adopt and culturally appropriate the saltire and Scottishness when it suits, they’ll just as quickly revert to type and wave the tricolour and don their Eire tops when the mood and situation dictates.

I agree with you regarding your last point. This is why people like Tom Devine who question the applicability of disparity in social mobility among RCs and non RCs, are often marginalised. Fifteen, ten years ago Tom was the flavour of the month. As soon as he uttered that there was very little evidence of RCs being discriminated against in the modern Scottish workplace, Tom’s platform suddenly was moved to the background. He occasionally gets to air some opinions these days when he’s needed.

I mentioned in my earlier post about it being an insult and that its origin pertained to the famine. I have heard it used very rarely and had no idea that it had entered the lexicon of commonplace labels that the yahoos use to denigrate one another. To be honest the etymology of it is neither here nor there to me. The point is that Charlie is labelled by them in a derogatory fashion, and it neatly encapsulates how a significant number of them act as people, especially towards one another.
It is certainly an insult/concept that runs deep in Ireland, especially rural Ireland and the scenario of people starving unless they handed over their land and “took the soup” of the Brits is deep in the psyche.

How it relates to modern day Scotland is an utter mystery unless you are aware of the lengths that the Celtic support in particular will go to in their identity with a fragmented sense of Irishness where they weave the worst stories they can find together and claim it as being relevant to them.

Using this insult towards an ex-player of their club who doesn’t toe the party line certainly qualifies as cheapening & whoring something that is quite tragic though.

It is certainly an insult/concept that runs deep in Ireland, especially rural Ireland and the scenario of people starving unless they handed over their land and “took the soup” of the Brits is deep in the psyche.

How it relates to modern day Scotland is an utter mystery unless you are aware of the lengths that the Celtic support in particular will go to in their identity with a fragmented sense of Irishness where they weave the worst stories they can find together and claim it as being relevant to them.

Using this insult towards an ex-player of their club who doesn’t toe the party line certainly qualifies as cheapening & whoring something that is quite tragic though.
I concur with your observations mate.

The clannish nature of the Irish is very evident in the usage of the term in Glasgow history. If the guy who mentioned its use with regard to Charlie Nic (earlier in the thread) is on the money, it shows how warped their sensibilities are and essentially promotes the idea that Charlie takes the English shilling - a heinous crime in their estimation.

They are a strange bunch indeed.

"Listen, am sitting here thinking there's been wave after wave after wave of shambolical shambollocks at Parkheid.

To be honest am too feart tae huv a shower noo in case they offer me the job, ah mind the good auld days when you just had to worry about draping the soap, know whit ah mean." :))

It's not Charlie Nic I want to read, it's Peace Process.

I want to rejoice in that fud's pain.

At the start of last season he was pouring scorn on the praise that SG was getting.

Lenny had steered the filth to the final part of a treble, whilst SG had won nothing.

Penny for PP's thoughts now?

They say "money can't buy you success" but in the SPL/SPFL it surely can, not least when you have no competition. Grab a few quality players, make them click somewhat and the rest of the pack has nothing to answer. As Nicholas said, it isn't the toughest job of the world when you have spent 30odd million on the team. Once the oppositions catches up though, your mettle is required, as well as some shrewd thinking (imagine that and Lennon in the same sentence) and tactical acumen. Lennon as a manager is what Brown is on the park - bang average with a license to do what he wants. This only gets you so far and as it looks, TLB has lost the the team and the support. The one thing that baffles me is that it takes them so long to acknowledge this truth at boardroom level. Then again, may they all burn in hell.
They had the better squad till this year. Their bad recruitment combined with our great recruitment has turned that table. Now our good coaches will improve our squad. Their bad coaches will not get anything more out of their now average squad. I do expect a response but not long term. If they haven't changed anything the results are likely to stay the same or similar and that won't be good enough for them this time.

Charlie Nicholas dresses like your mad old uncle that thinks he’s still a shagger.
I seen him swaggering around on his own near kelvingrove park a few years ago and he had a denim jacket, aviator shades,white jeans and a pair of plimsoles. Looked like a geriatric Wham tribute act the poor bastard

It goes a bit further than that does it not? It refers to catholics turning protestant in order to ‘take soup’ during the famine. A proper insult in their book.
That is exactly what they mean, 'Takingsoup from the Church'
threatened with ex-communication by Father Wilfred before he was sent to exile in Edinburgh where he discoveredHibernian, the rest is History ( disgusting history )

He’s fairly got tore into Lennon!
Pretty much saying it for what it is.
He’s not won a league from start to finish.

The Parkhead riot says much about the mentality of the yahoo's support. We are lead to believe that it was as a result of their anger and frustration at their club's, recent mediocre run of form but there is more to it. Looking for an explanation, a clue is surely to found in the pathological obsession they have with winning 'ten-in-a- row'. It seems as though this goal has become a kind of crucial reassurance not only of of their own teams worth with respect to Rangers, but of their actual worth as fans - and perhaps even as an ethnic group.

But if we take an objective view of the circumstances under which they acquired their nine-in-a-row league titles, we come to the obvious realisation that the overwhelming majority were achieved in circumstances that were far from normal. For starters, it took Rangers - their only real rivals - 4 years to claw their way back from exile in the lower reaches of Scottish football, back into the SPL, during which time celtic had no serious opponents. The destination of the league was already decided on opening day!!

When Rangers did eventually return, their financial situation was so dire, that it was all but impossible to sign players of the quality required of a team with title-winning ambitions. Meanwhile, celtic, flush with the millions of pounds that unimpeded access to the CL funds guaranteed, there was an obvious quality-gap in terms of the kinds of player they could afford to sign - players that would have been well out of Rangers financial reach,

Given that there was hardly a level playing field - to put it mildly - there couldn't have been anything other than a scenario in which celtic became league champions. Yet these obvious facts seem to go unnoticed by them. All that mattered was that they were on top and Rangers weren't. It also didn't matter that these bogus achievements were possible only because they were competing against an opponent 'hobbled' with the equivalent of having one hand tied behind their back and a ball and chain around their leg, and who for 4 years wasn't even in the ring!!

Normal people - while happy at their team's succes - would at least be expected to acknowledge the special circumstances that were responsible for much of that success. But not a bit of it. Just when something approximating a true level-playing field has been re-established - they engage in rioting and mayhem, demanding the team manager be sacked and the Board of Directors resign.

We are clearly not dealing with normal people.

Jeez Oh!!

If you were ever asked to place a pictorial description of that rancid club, just stick that Hammonds face on it.

I seem to remember strong rumours at the time of mowbray's sacking - that neil lennon who was a coach (put in place by mowbray) compiled dossiers that he submitted to the hierarchy at the piggery on mowbray's perceived failings and how he could do the job better

TBH mate. I don't think Lennon would be capable of compiling a shite, let alone a dossier.

If you look up the definition of Neic you'll see:

⠀⠀Neic
noun
⠀a stopgap manager (a stop gaffer)

Similar: [ginger pubes] [popcorn teeth] [woman beater] [Lurgen Flop]

Last season would have been the first time in Lennon’s managerial career where he had achieved a legitimate title win where he could say it was won against unhampered opposition under normal circumstances (i.e, no docked points, no joining up half way through the season etc). But the league decided to vote to award them the title 3 quarters of way through and so Lennon’s opportunity to achieve that went with it as did the scum’s chance at a legitimate 10 in a row.

That’s the hilarious thing about Lennon as a manager, he’s actually done fùck all because the only time he had a real strong challenge he was put in his place by Walter. He was arsing it right up against a poor manager in McCoist until the events of 2012 unfolded, and after looking like he might finally crack it last season that was taken away from him. He’s a relatively cheap puppet for Liewell and that’s it really.

I love a bit of Tim on Tim it’s glorious, fair play to Charlie though he does give the poets it straight, he doesn’t toe the party line. I know guys who played with Charlie at arsenal and not one had a bad word to say about him. He’s defo not bitter.
the kurgan bigot however was the opposite, I’ve never spoken to one person from that Leicester city era who had a good word to say about him. He is a vile creature and I hope the rat is there for a while yet while we pile up the points.

Post Feb 2012 any scum manager has had the resources to win every honour. They should have been going for the octididdlydee this year. Biscuit tin mentality has seen to them.

Back