Lennon's comments on the ref

Lennon will say he didn't question the ref's integrity, just his decisions were baffling. Gerrard questioned whether Clancy refereed our player differently because of who he is.
These mentally challenged slimeballs have got their wording down to an art, being doing it for so long.

Exactly the issue.

We questioned his integrity.

But we were right actually, because he has none.

He leans forward to get better chest control of the ball or it hits him in the midriff. While doing that Duffy puts two hands on his back and shoves, he knows it himself. His reaction says it all.

I have not seen the numerous other bookable offences for McGregor, but the penalty he gives away to me is a clear goal scoring opportunity and should be an instant red, nevermind a yellow.

Collum will argue that’s why he allowed Cosgrove to shoot on goal before awarding the penalty, so the goal scoring opportunity wasn’t stopped by McGregor.

Fly wee shite.

His comments about the ref where a reflection that he didn’t pay close attention to what happened in the game.

It’s as if he was half asleep, woke up at the final whistle, saw the scoreboard, and went the ref must have had a howler for us to get this result.

Collum will argue that’s why he allowed Cosgrove to shoot on goal before awarding the penalty, so the goal scoring opportunity wasn’t stopped by McGregor.

Fly wee shite.
McLennan would have taken a shot though, not Cosgrove. McGregor does the right thing with a goal lead in stoppage time and takes one for the team to stop a certain goal for a chance against a pen.

For me it’s a straight red, can’t believe he didn’t get a yellow at least.

Fly wee shite.
Not sure thats a get out. You frequently see refs playing advantage and then carding the player for the original offence.

If a player commits a bookable or red card offence he should still be carded whether or not any advantage is played.

At least that's my understanding.

Won't stop Scottish refs changing the rules to suit the circumstances or teams involved - remember the penalty that couldn't be given because it was "windy" :eek:

Fly wee shite.

Then if he says that then surely he cannot give a penalty. If Cosgrove got a shot off because he allowed an advantage then he can't call it back, can he? Not fully sure of the rules there but I am sure if you play on and a player gets a clear shot at goal then you have had your advantage and fucked it. If not, then its a red all day long.

Then if he says that then surely he cannot give a penalty. If Cosgrove got a shot off because he allowed an advantage then he can't call it back, can he? Not fully sure of the rules there but I am sure if you play on and a player gets a clear shot at goal then you have had your advantage and fucked it. If not, then its a red all day long.
That's how its meant to work. Seldom applied that way though - seen countless instances where teams/players do actually get the advantage but miss the chance and the ref then calls it back and gives the original free kick.

They've only just published disciplinary action for games up to last weekend. Maybe things are slower because of Covid.
The Hawick Royal Albert v Glenrothes match looks interesting. Three Hawick players and the Glenrothes manager all cited, with the players accepting one match suspensions.

What Gerrard said was clearly a dig at Clancy’s integrity and I think it was a cop out when they found it not proven. If Lennon was cited I think the outcome would be the same.

I thought it was pretty pointless for Gerrard to have a dig. We passed up on a chance to slaughter Clancy after last December’s game. Look at the outcry the tramps were able to cause about Beaton who’s performance was not in the same league as Clancy’s. We should have done the same.

My understanding is if no advantage is taken the ref calls it back for original foul. Collum got all that spot on.

He missed foul on Cosgeove and should have sent Macgregor off apart from that he had a good game.

My understanding is if no advantage is taken the ref calls it back for original foul. Collum got all that spot on.

He missed foul on Cosgeove and should have sent Macgregor off apart from that he had a good game.
It's not the "taking" of the advantage it's simply whether the perceived potential advantage actually materialises or not and not whether they take that advantage.

The wording is "allow play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team will benefit from the advantage and penalises the offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time or within a few seconds".

So if the advantage doesn't materialise within a few seconds he should then penalise the original offence.

They do, however, tend to view it differently when it comes to penalties. In that instance they generally allow play to continue to allow a shot but if the player misses they still give the penalty. The shot, however, is the advantage and the fact the player simply didn't take the advantage should, according to the rule, not entitle them to then benefit with the award of the penalty - would be harsh though :)

It clearly should be a red LB, there was no way he attempted to get the ball in fact, so there’s an argument that incident alone should have been a red.

Im just mulling over why he took so long to make the award & wondering if you his was why.

Not sure thats a get out. You frequently see refs playing advantage and then carding the player for the original offence.

If a player commits a bookable or red card offence he should still be carded whether or not any advantage is played.

At least that's my understanding.

Won't stop Scottish refs changing the rules to suit the circumstances or teams involved - remember the penalty that couldn't be given because it was "windy" :eek:

Funny, that was scandalous, the windy penalty, the more you reflect 1288.

McLennan would have taken a shot though, not Cosgrove. McGregor does the right thing with a goal lead in stoppage time and takes one for the team to stop a certain goal for a chance against a pen.

For me it’s a straight red, can’t believe he didn’t get a yellow at least.

There’s no way he went close to the ball, so I absolutely agree, could have been a straight red.

He's falling apart publicly, and apparently with players too. Reminiscent of his time at Hibs. Sadly I think it's because he knows it's the end for him. Hope I'm wrong and he stays the season.

Its my opinion, Cosgrove could have stayed on his feet but felt the contact and went down. It happens in games in EPL as well, its down to the referees interpretation of how easily they went down and for me, Cosgrove went down too easily - as others do on occasion.
Ferguson penalty.

The ignoring of a second yellow for McGregor by Collum, although too late to make a difference in this game, means that Celtic have arguably their most influential player available for next league match at Motherwell.

I'm sure most would admit this is a fixture that an under pressure Celtic would dearly like their key players available for, something Lennon may wish to consider in his "hard done by" mind.

To be honest, I didn't think Gerrard should have been charged, nor do I think Lennon should.

The rule (below) relates to the accusation of bias or incompetence. By the letter of the law, Lennon should be charged as he clearly indicates incompetence. However, if a ref has had a shocker (never seen there game, don't know if that was that case) then you should be able to call them out.

No recognised football body, club, official, Team Official or other member of Team Staff, player or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA, reported to the Scottish FA by a referee for misconduct, or any such body or person, shall, in an interview, a “blog” on the Internet, on a social networking or micro-blogging site, or in any other manner calculated or likely to lead to publicity which is brought to the Scottish FA’s attention or of which the Scottish FA becomes aware by whatever manner or means, criticise the performance(s) of any or all match official(s) in such a way as to indicate bias or incompetence on the part of such match official or make remarks about such match official which impinge upon his character.

To be honest, I didn't think Gerrard should have been charged, nor do I think Lennon should.

The rule (below) relates to the accusation of bias or incompetence. By the letter of the law, Lennon should be charged as he clearly indicates incompetence. However, if a ref has had a shocker (never seen there game, don't know if that was that case) then you should be able to call them out.

No recognised football body, club, official, Team Official or other member of Team Staff, player or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA, reported to the Scottish FA by a referee for misconduct, or any such body or person, shall, in an interview, a “blog” on the Internet, on a social networking or micro-blogging site, or in any other manner calculated or likely to lead to publicity which is brought to the Scottish FA’s attention or of which the Scottish FA becomes aware by whatever manner or means, criticise the performance(s) of any or all match official(s) in such a way as to indicate bias or incompetence on the part of such match official or make remarks about such match official which impinge upon his character.
to me lennon is saying he is incomepetent. gerrard asked a hypothetical question, totally different as the question appears to encompase all refereeing rather than any individual.

to me lennon is saying he is incomepetent. gerrard asked a hypothetical question, totally different as the question appears to encompase all refereeing rather than any individual.
I've acknowledged that mate, and I agree that by the letter of the law Lennon should be charged under the rule due to alleging incompetence.

All I'm saying is I believe we should be able to call out incompetence if we see it.

Take the League Cup Final for example, our management should be within their right to absolutely hound the incompetent referee and his officials.

Saying he was poor in one particular game, as TLB did, does not suggest incompetence it merely suggests he had a poor game.

Even the best occasionally have a poor day. If Messi turned in a poor performance one day you would not suggest that anyone mentioning his poor performance was inferring that Messi was, in fact, incompetent.

There's a subtle difference and if you add in the fact that TLB added in that he felt he was poor for both teams and his performance wasn't the reason they lost points then that is why he will, rightly I would reluctantly say, get away with it.

He is starting to crack though as his latest interview and "lack of respect" statement clearly demonstrates. Long may it continue.

Never does it in the build up to European games.

Gets tore into the SPFL referee's at every possible opportunity for domestic games.

Strange that.

Almost as if they are treated differently in Scotland to in Europe.

Not sure the rules but think you’re allowed to say the ref had a poor game. Neither should have been cited Gerrards was a joke.

How long does the Compliance Officer have to make a decision on whether or not to issue a charge for the comments made post match by TLB? If Stevie G can have a hearing for his comments post Dundee Utd, this surely merits the same?

I Agree.

Couldn't believe his comments.

Surely Cler has a hearing arranged.

The constant compliance officer threads are embarrassing. He’s not going to get cited for saying the ref was poor.
Spot on , Gerrard shouldn’t have been either but wanting Lennon cited for that is nonsense. Managers deserve to be able to speak their mind if they think the ref was poor. Which btw is ironic because the only poor decisions the ref made was not giving a foul to Aberdeen in the buildup to LG goal. And not giving Macgregor a second yellow for the penalty.

Back