Leon Balogun

You want to play a guy who hasn't trained or had a pre season against PSV?

Edit: If Davies is short of match fitness, then what the hell would Balogun be!?

He will have been training and he did well anytime he came in after an absence last year. I don’t have any worries on that front. Other players, yeah, Balogun, no.

I’d be more comfortable with Balogun in the squad than Davies. Davies signing doesn’t fill me with confidence for the fee involved.

Harsh because he hasn’t played? Absolutely
NnDm.gif

He will have been training and he did well anytime he came in after an absence last year. I don’t have any worries on that front. Other players, yeah, Balogun, no.

Aye down the park by himself and at 5's if the rumours on here are anything to go on.

I'm sorry mate but that literally doesn't make any sense, like not even a little bit. You want him to go from no pre season to a CL qualifier within a week?

No. If you reflect on my question, you’ll find the answer why Balogun is no longer contracted by the club.

Correct and we've also signed his replacement in Souttar too with Davies coming in (you'd expect) to be of the "that player's worth a fee" Bassey part of the squad.

We don't need Balogun as things stand. Can't keep every player. We've moved on to try and improve our squad.

Surprised no one has picked him up though as he's a capable enough player.

People on here are mental. We have ample CBs- admittedly not all currently fit
Goldson, Souttar, Davies, King, Sands, Helander & for the moment Katic.
Yet we are missing Balogun, who the OP says would walk straight into the team for a fixture against PSV in less than a week.
How bloated a squad do we need?

People on here are mental. We have ample CBs- admittedly not all currently fit
Goldson, Souttar, Davies, King, Sands, Helander & for the moment Katic.
Yet we are missing Balogun, who the OP says would walk straight into the team for a fixture against PSV in less than a week.
How bloated a squad do we need?

I'm really toiling on the fact he thinks a player can go from zero pre season preparation other than personal fitness stuff, to a CL play off against a strong PSV side inside a week. I can't wrap my head around it.

Has it been confirmed that he was in Ibrox for the game last night? Seen a few posters saying they seen him but nothing official.

I think it’s absolutely mental that we have resorted to playing a midfielder in defence when this guy is a free agent and still clearly living in Scotland. I imagine he’s using our facilities to remain fit?

I really like the big guy and think he‘s more than worthy of a short term deal considering we have considerable injuries in that area. Surely he can’t cost that much for another year?

What considerable injuries? Apart from Helander all out CB’s are fit.

How do you expect young guys like King to get any game time at all if we’re to panic buy CBs all the time?

What considerable injuries? Apart from Helander all out CB’s are fit.

How do you expect young guys like King to get any game time at all if we’re to panic buy CBs all the time?

Helander and Souttar.

We are rubbish at introducing young players. King and Lowry should be getting more game time of that I agree. We still consider a young player at 23/24. Not many players make it in our team when they are a teenager. I don’t see us resigning Balogun making any difference to King’s chances of getting a game. It is minimal and would remain minimal.

Very surprised he doesn’t have a club yet considering the level he played at the last two seasons.

Helander and Souttar.

We are rubbish at introducing young players. King and Lowry should be getting more game time of that I agree. We still consider a young player at 23/24. Not many players make it in our team when they are a teenager. I don’t see us resigning Balogun making any difference to King’s chances of getting a game. It is minimal and would remain minimal.
Is Souttar not out because his brother died, and not because he’s injured?

I like Balogun and he probably could still do a job. Trouble was his fitness, he was injured an awful lot so it would be a big risk taking him on when we have other options.

Heard from two different people today at the game that the club have spoken to him on Friday. Not claiming to be any reputable sources or ITK in anyway. Could just be rumours gathering pace

Hopefully spoke to him to tell him to get over it and move on and stop tagging Rangers and it’s players in all his social media posts!
He’s starting to remind me of Wayne’s psycho gf in Wayne’s World……”Get over it and find someone else”

Has it been confirmed that he was in Ibrox for the game last night? Seen a few posters saying they seen him but nothing official.

I think it’s absolutely mental that we have resorted to playing a midfielder in defence when this guy is a free agent and still clearly living in Scotland. I imagine he’s using our facilities to remain fit?

I really like the big guy and think he‘s more than worthy of a short term deal considering we have considerable injuries in that area. Surely he can’t cost that much for another year?
You do know Sands has played a fair amount of his short career at Centre back?

Heard from two different people today at the game that the club have spoken to him on Friday. Not claiming to be any reputable sources or ITK in anyway. Could just be rumours gathering pace

I'd be surprised tbh.

For starters, his injury record wasn't great whilst he was with us.

Secondly, how long would it take him to get up to speed considering he's not had a pre season?

We currently have Goldson, Davies, Souttar, Sands, King and Helander all competing for 2 spots.

Hopefully spoke to him to tell him to get over it and move on and stop tagging Rangers and it’s players in all his social media posts!
He’s starting to remind me of Wayne’s psycho gf in Wayne’s World……”Get over it and find someone else”
Big man took Rangers to his heart. It must be brutal to be told your not wanted. He's enjoyed and bought into Rangers. Fck Wayne's World

I'd play him at CB now before Sands. Honestly he had serious passion. I did find it unbelievable that he was released but I knew we couldn't keep everyone. Hope he gets his career going again ASAP.

I'd play him at CB now before Sands. Honestly he had serious passion. I did find it unbelievable that he was released but I knew we couldn't keep everyone. Hope he gets his career going again ASAP.
Agree, it seemed strange at the time. We've just played a CL round with one fit center half

Solid, when fit, but very injury prone, your not playing him before Sands either.

And why isn’t he with another club?

I dont see why we couldn't offer him a short term deal on very little money, he surely would rather that than not playing.

As a free agent he is probably waiting to the end of the window to choose his best option, as he must have had deals on offer.
would you work in your job for less money ?

Don't think you need to answer that m8

The same people who are the first to criticise us for re-signing McGregor, Davis and Arfield and accusing the club of a lack of ambition are the same ones criticising the club for not renewing Baloguns contract.

It’s almost like some people aren’t happy unless they are moaning about something.

FWIW, I love big Balogun but it was the right time for the club and player to part ways.

Does anyone know if he still lives in Glasgow?

My one fear against PSV is who is the CB beside, Goldson going to be. Will it be Soutar, Sands or Davies? Unlikely to be Soutar. And until they settle in none of them has impressed me so far. PSV ain't no Union SG, Livi, Killmarock or St Johnstone: their attack is their strength apparently.

It would have been 'boxing clever' to give Balogun another year as back up to allow those 3 to settle. He has more experience in Europe than the 3 put together and would be a steady CB to come on in the event of things going awry or a CB injury against PSV.

We gave McGregor, Davis and Arfield an extra year (and rightly so) so why not Balogun especially in a Champions League Play off year? He probably would only have cost us a few shekels versus CL Group Stage money we could lose.

Perversely Balogun was a part of the team in the Malmo debacle at Ibrox last year. I suppose 'what doesn't kill you can.put down to experience' though!

Last edited:
I’d be more comfortable with Balogun in the squad than Davies. Davies signing doesn’t fill me with confidence for the fee involved.

Harsh because he hasn’t played? Absolutely
Depends on what reports you read. Some say Klopp chose him because he was the best passing CB in the championship despite Bristol City selling a CB for £20m. Other reports say he was an “average” CB in championship terms. Until we see him in a proper game that’s a hard one to gauge. St Johnstone are awful so it’s pretty hard to judge anyone on a game v them. We’ve paid a lot for Davies so hopefully he is the real deal. I liked big Balogun.

My one fear against PSV is who is the CB beside, Goldson going to be. Will it be Soutar, Sands or Davies? Unlikely to be Soutar. And until they settle in none of them has impressed me so far. PSV ain't no Union SG, Livi, Killmarock or St Johnstone: their attack is their strength apparently.

It would have been 'boxing clever' to give Balogun another year as back up to allow those 3 to settle. He has more experience in Europe than the 3 put together and would be a steady CB to come on in the event of things going awry or a CB injury against PSV.

We gave McGregor, Davis and Arfield an extra year (and rightly so) so why not Balogun especially in a Champions League Play off year? He probably would only have cost us a few shekels versus CL Group Stage money we could lose.
Agree with your post in principle, although many on here saying we offered him one year and he wanted 2.

Agree with your post in principle, although many on here saying we offered him one year and he wanted 2.
I wasn't aware he was demanding 2 years. That makes a difference to my viewpoint now. With McGregor, Davis and Arfield getting a year, I don't think Balogun really deserved 2.

Gio going for some drinks after the game to celebrate yesterday.

DAVID.jpg

Oh, For %^*&'s sake.

I wasn't aware he was demanding 2 years. That makes a difference to my viewpoint now. With McGregor, Davis and Arfield getting a year, I don't think Balogun really deserved 2.

I doubt Balogun would’ve been demanding two years but I also don’t think we would have offered him a new deal either.

The simple fact is that it comes down to money and the number of players we have to play at CB.

We currently have Goldson, Davies, Souttar, Helander, Sands and King that can play centre back. Six centre halves is enough and spending money on a 7th wouldn’t make sense when we have a limited budget.

Balogun like Jack and Helander are worthwhile assets when fit.

They just aren't reliable enough, I'd have moved all on if we could have and not just him

Perversely Balogun was a part of the team in the Malmo debacle at Ibrox last year. I suppose 'what doesn't kill you can.put down to experience' though!
Couldn't have said it better. Someone at Rangers thought it was a good idea to go into CL qualifiers with center halves that are untried in Europe. Not only that, ones that aren't fit that left us with one center half playing the first qualifying round.

Couldn't have said it better. Someone at Rangers thought it was a good idea to go into CL qualifiers with center halves that are untried in Europe. Not only that, ones that aren't fit that left us with one center half playing the first qualifying round.

Maybe the plan was to play Goldson and Bassey in the qualifiers but we then got a £20million+ for Bassey that we had to accept?

If he likes living here so much surely hearts could offer him decent wages on a one year deal. I don’t even know who’ve they’ve got at centre half but surely balogan is better. If he does get a deal it will be because he’s hung about like a bad smell which is wouldn’t want. Going from this thread he’s like the ex who won’t go away and you give in to going back with them for an easy life.

Was the contingency plan not the guy we signed for £4million from Liverpool who started the match yesterday?
Perhaps, yet he's not ready to play 90 minutes and ultimately untested in Europe. We've just played USG with one fit center half and a utility midfielder out of position

Back