Leon Balogun

If our business is done we could of done with him as a squad player, he wouldn't of started for us tonight or got on the pitch tonight though. Good to see him enjoying the game though. Once a Ranger and all that.

Im trying to search for post, so delete if already posts.

Does everyone think it was a mistake to let him go?.. again he's watching from the stands.. Or do people think, it happened.. move on?
Yes mistake....

Best tackler ive seen at Ibrox since Carlos Cuellar

Edit; Big Balogun has got legs that can wrap round opposition players bodys to get a tackle in

Last edited:
Should have been kept

Personally I’m not convinced Souttar at Hearts, is an upgrade on Balogun

To make matters worse, we’ve replaced Balogun with an even more injury prone player in Souttar and by doing so, it’s left us without any centre halves possessing decent pace.

Balogun was also a threat at set pieces and was decent when defending set pieces

Nope move on.

He’s had plenty of bad games last and was prone to injuries too.

PSV clearly targeted Goldson for all their set pieces and it worked twice, so it doesn’t matter who else played at CB beside him as they would still have targeted CG.

We’ve moved on as a team.

I don’t think it was a mistake to let him move on. Time for fresh blood and to let Gio build his team.

If it wasn’t for Helander still being injured I think he’d be away too.

Goldson had a poor game. Hard to say if either Balogun or Helander would’ve changed things.

They mentioned Balogun on BT watching the game. We really could have did with him tonight. Goldson can win headers but they never have direction (see first goal and every attacking corner we have). Sands is no better than average in the air.

Did we ever bring in another set piece coach when Steven Gerrard took our last one with him?

I would guess No. Sick of seeing the same weakness constantly. It's going to get exploited a lot by teams in Europe, especially if they are CL standard like PSV.

I know he cost us against Malmo.. isnt it crazy he's still without a club though?. A true bear aswell, at the games, watching as a fan.
He was good at dealing with set pieces. .

Id like him back, but just wanted to see what others thought

Nope move on.

He’s had plenty of bad games last and was prone to injuries too.

PSV clearly targeted Goldson for all their set pieces and it worked twice, so it doesn’t matter who else played at CB beside him as they would still have targeted CG.
No wonder they target him.

He was our only real option of winning header. Take him out and and the rest have got the upper hand on our smaller players

I saw this too but who did we sign in his place, surely this didn't affect Davies signing?

That would've been pre-Davies in fairness as I imagine Davies was brought in to cover for Bassey. Point still stands though and it's something I've wondered too.

That would've been pre-Davies in fairness as I imagine Davies was brought in to cover for Bassey. Point still stands though and it's something I've wondered too.
Yeah that was my thinking, just like to know how him signing would of affected our plans if thats our budget done - ie would we have got someone cheaper than Davies etc.

No wonder they target him.

He was our only real option of winning header. Take him out and and the rest have got the upper hand on our smaller players

Height doesn’t really matter, plenty CB’s are and have been small but have great leap/jumps to counter that. De Jong struggled in open play to win anything against Sands.

I need to watch back but the marking we used wasn’t great at all, it allowed PSV to get the upper hand to easily at times.

The fact we had to play Sands at CB tonight suggests we made an error letting him go and it could cost us £30m. And I thought Sands had a decent game, as good as you could expect but the guy is clearly not a CB.

Sands played as much and most lately as a centre half for New York City.

Sands has arguably been our best Centre half this season and most comfortable on the ball, with both feet, our others are so one footed it’s embarrassing.

Should have been kept

Personally I’m not convinced Souttar at Hearts, is an upgrade on Balogun

To make matters worse, we’ve replaced Balogun with an even more injury prone player in Souttar and by doing so, it’s left us without any centre halves possessing decent pace.

Balogun was also a threat at set pieces and was decent when defending set pieces
Pace should be a minimum requirement for me for a CB for us. As you say though he also had other good attributes but pace at the back is required if you want to play in European competition.

I liked Balogun but there's a reason why he wasn't a first pick. He seems to have turned into prime Sergio Ramos since leaving though.

I wouldn't go back for him but I really think we should be after another left footed centre half for competition for Davies and let Sands Souttar and Goldson be right sided centre halfs hopefully if we can move on Katic it might give us scope to do this

I love big balogun but I don't think bringing him back is the answer. We had the same issues even with him there. I'd prefer a fit helander or souttar in there, the problem is are we ever going to see that? I have my doubts.

Remember when we failed to make the CL last season?

Balogun was one of the chief culprits.
This exactly. I wouldn't have minded if we had given Balogun another year to have him around the squad. But he was part of the defence last season that absolutely leaked goals from corners and crosses that could have been cut out. Doubt he would have made a difference tonight.

Sands played as much and most lately as a centre half for New York City.

Sands has arguably been our best Centre half this season and most comfortable on the ball, with both feet, our others are so one footed it’s embarrassing.

I agree that Sands is comfortable on the ball but he's not tall enough or physically strong enough to be a CB at the higher level. I think he would make a good defensive midfielder, he reads the game well and as you say is a capable passer.

Sands wasn't the problem cb tonight, it's the inexplicably undroppable one next to him. If Balogun was in the squad or not it wouldn't have made a difference, because Goldson still would've played.

I'd phone him and offer him a deal.

We've got one fit CB, Goldson.

Souttar, Helander and Davies all injured.

And we're using a CDM to cover, oh and Katic clearly isn't in the plans, so the fact we didn't keep Balogun or at least sign a high quality and fit CB this window is weird.

He should've been kept ahead of signing Souttar but neither move made much sense given the problems Rangers have faced with unavailable CBs.

The call to resign him now by some is insanity gone mad.

I think he would be a quick fix, and i would take him back as we have so much injuries. But all in all, if we want to be in the UCL we need better.

It's not Balogun we missed last night, it's Bassey. I argued that you get more reward keeping your best players, others said the revenue from players sales is more important. Manchester United are apparently interested in one of the PSV players, but he played last night; if we needed to sell Bassey, would it have done any harm to keep him to see where we are in regards the CL? We could then have sold him, and if we made the CL a proper replacement would be easier to come by. Bassey was a major player in Europe last season; he's the player at the back we really missed

Back