Leon King - 15yo in Scotland U17s

Spoke to a couple of people who watch youth football and they expect young Leon and that Morrison to eventually be a CB partnership for the full international side.

Morrison was at Rangers, we received a development fee for him. Both are 15 although Leon is a 2004 while Morrison is a 2003. Michael Craig from Spurs is also a 2003. The rest of the squad are 2002's.

Morrison was at Rangers, we received a development fee for him. Both are 15 although Leon is a 2004 while Morrison is a 2003. Michael Craig from Spurs is also a 2003. The rest of the squad are 2002's.

When did we lose him? Would’ve been good having him and King playing through the ranks together. Is he a Tim and that’s why he moved or was it more he wasn’t first choice for us?

He
When did we lose him? Would’ve been good having him and King playing through the ranks together. Is he a Tim and that’s why he moved or was it more he wasn’t first choice for us?

Left at the end of U12's I think, so it would have been a small development fee. Tim that wanted to go there. Looked back through the blog and reported on around half a dozen games he played in. Leon is a year younger and was only in the squad on one of these games.

Only seen him a couple of times and he was okay, don't think either us or celtic have made any serious attempt to sign him through the age groups. A few people have said, perhaps unkindly, he has been pushed forward because he is a player from a smaller club at an SFA performance school. He must be doing something right as he has been in the International squads for a while.
Cheers mate. Just wondered. Stood out when I looked at the list simply because of who he played for. :)

Only seen him a couple of times and he was okay, don't think either us or celtic have made any serious attempt to sign him through the age groups. A few people have said, perhaps unkindly, he has been pushed forward because he is a player from a smaller club at an SFA performance school. He must be doing something right as he has been in the International squads for a while.

Strong rumour that he is on his way to Rangers in the Summer

Left at the end of U12's I think, so it would have been a small development fee. Tim that wanted to go there. Looked back through the blog and reported on around half a dozen games he played in. Leon is a year younger and was only in the squad on one of these games.

So take it it wouldn’t have had to much an impact then if he left so young.

Hopefully Leon lives up to his potential. Hope we don’t put too much pressure on him and hype up to be something he’s not. Just let him develop.

So take it it wouldn’t have had to much an impact then if he left so young.

Hopefully Leon lives up to his potential. Hope we don’t put too much pressure on him and hype up to be something he’s not. Just let him develop.

He did leave Rangers at a young age but I know Rangers didn't want to lose him. Only really seen him play against us since and the odd Scotland game. But I know he is rated among the best through out the age groups at their academy.

I was at school with Barry as well as living a few doors down from him. Our primary school team was unbeatable and it was all him, even at 11 everyone knew he would make it. He was an absolute stand out. Interestingly there was another lad who was very good too and I believe he fell away from it after he moved schools.

All the local kids used to play football on the grass at the park, as you do, and he ran circles round everyone including the older lads. He was a complete wanker at times but he was so good he could be! Was great to see him go on to captain the club, it was all he wanted as a lad.
Good Hamilton boys..

We've offered a contract to Leon King who turns 16 in January amidst interest from England according to Jordan Campbell from The Athetic.

Certainly sounds like someone we've got high hopes for. Fingers crossed we can get this over the line.

Liverpool Chelsea and Man City looking at him i think

Liverpool Chelsea and Man City looking at him i think
Which unfortunately means he'll likely be gone. Liverpool have a cap on young player wages im pretty sure but if City or Chelsea really want a player then they'll give him far more than we can.

If Chelsea scoop him up in a similar deal to Billy Gilmour we need to be getting some proper partnership going with them so its more than just here's 400-500 grand and we'll be back when we feel like it

If we cant hold on to boys like this lad and Gilmour before him then I really don't see the point in a youth academy .....

Which unfortunately means he'll likely be gone. Liverpool have a cap on young player wages im pretty sure but if City or Chelsea really want a player then they'll give him far more than we can.

If Chelsea scoop him up in a similar deal to Billy Gilmour we need to be getting some proper partnership going with them so its more than just here's 400-500 grand and we'll be back when we feel like it
As @elfideldo explained earlier in the thread, it just depends on where you are in the food chain. We do the same to other clubs.

As an aside I remember hearing Stephen Hughes was better than Barry Ferguson at a young age and also Ross Perry better than Danny Wilson, was there anymore?
Ross Perry is older than Danny Wilson so just shows how poor he was when Wilson was two years below and in first team squad before him

As @elfideldo explained earlier in the thread, it just depends on where you are in the food chain. We do the same to other clubs.
Of course it's more just me hoping there might be a longer term benefit if we keep producing young players that Chelsea think are good enough for one of the best youth academies in the world. Whether it be first choice on prospects they deem to not be quite good enough for them but still have potential similar to what celtic did with that Frimpong lad from City or loans in the future

Unfortunately players will now look at Billy Gilmour for inspiration.

So much for the "a real Bear would never move there to sit in the stands and get loan deals"

Of course it's more just me hoping there might be a longer term benefit if we keep producing young players that Chelsea think are good enough for one of the best youth academies in the world. Whether it be first choice on prospects they deem to not be quite good enough for them but still have potential similar to what celtic did with that Frimpong lad from City or loans in the future
It's not just Chelsea, per Jordan's article Liverpool and Leipzig are also looking at the kid.

We will get good young players come through if we give them the opportunities in the first team. Until we do, why would a Billy Gilmour or a Leon King stay at Rangers?

It's really tough. If the kid is just turning 16, he's still years away from the 1st team.
How the feck do you keep them happy?
Those big English clubs will be very appealling...
Just from an education point of view ( if you can ignore the financial)

Then we definitely need to give him proper time to develop, learn and grow. It's one thing giving a 16/17 year old midfielder a chance around the first team for experience, it's another putting a young defender who could get pushed about in the same spot.

Sometimes when you lose players like Gilmour, new stars come through. It's the circle of life.
Clever.
Not original though.

Leon King (who seems to have been called Leon Thompson at some point) was in the Alkass Cup u17 squad, though only 15. That says a lot for him. I believe he is highly rated by @elfideldo who does a blog on our youths and posts regularly on here. There were quite a few u16s in that squad as well, many of whom impressed, including Lowry and, especially, Young-Coombes. Here is @elfideldo pen-pictures of those in that squad for anyone who missed it.

https://rfcyouths.wordpress.com/2019/02/16/the-alkass-international-cup-squad/

Social media has nothing to do with putting our kids in the spotlight. Rangers actively keep an eye on the youths at the top level in England and they keep an eye on us. I know for a fact (from a Hibs 'source') that at a recent Hibs v Motherwell youth match there were scouts from Manchester United, Liverpool, Brighton, Dhims and Rangers there. They don't need social media to know the up-and-coming talents.
I guess not but, I’d bet they’ll investigate any tips, any information they get.
They’d actually be neglectful if they didn’t.

It should be noted it is not just Leon who will be getting offered their first contract, the 2004 group are excellent. Where as Leon may be a bit ahead of the rest quite a few of this group will have interest from elsewhere.

There are 13 other 2004's and most if not all will be offered contracts. One or two will not be 16 till nearer the end of next year, so they may have to wait a bit longer. Added to this Glentoran's Charlie Lindsay,who would have had a lot of interest from elsewhere, will be coming in the summer. This group could be the best for a while.

It should be noted it is not just Leon who will be getting offered their first contract, the 2004 group are excellent. Where as Leon may be a bit ahead of the rest quite a few of this group will have interest from elsewhere.

There are 13 other 2004's and most if not all will be offered contracts. One or two will not be 16 till nearer the end of next year, so they may have to wait a bit longer. Added to this Glentoran's Charlie Lindsay,who would have had a lot of interest from elsewhere, will be coming in the summer. This group could be the best for a while.
Would be interested to know if you thought the Club has an issue with a lack of a pathway to the first team for these young players, and whether that results in us having an issue selling ourselves to players like King when it comes to signing professional contracts.

Would be interested to know if you thought the Club has an issue with a lack of a pathway to the first team for these young players, and whether that results in us having an issue selling ourselves to players like King when it comes to signing professional contracts.
I think in the past it has been a clear issue, right now we have a majorly valid reason for not giving youngsters time. We are in the midst of trying to win the most important title in our history and the moment we jeopardise that by playing younger players at the risk of losing points everyone would be calling for Gerrard's head and rightfully so. Wait until we have won the league, then get younger players playing imo

I think in the past it has been a clear issue, right now we have a majorly valid reason for not giving youngsters time. We are in the midst of trying to win the most important title in our history and the moment we jeopardise that by playing younger players at the risk of losing points everyone would be calling for Gerrard's head and rightfully so. Wait until we have won the league, then get younger players playing imo
Guess what: every title we try to win is our most important title. That's just the way it is.

And also: good youngsters are a help, not a hindrance.

The likes of our fourth-choice CB (Edmundson), fifth and sixth-choice CM (Docherty / King), fifth choice winger (Barker) - there is no reason that these roles could not be filled by young players.

I hope we can get these youngsters on good, long-term contracts before they are poached by the English.

The longest contract we can sign them on when they are under 18 is for 3 years. We can't sign them up to that until they reach school leaving age, or 16. That's the critical point with guys like Gilmour and, possibly, King. They can walk away at any time until they sign that contract - which is why clubs like Chelsea and Liverpool hover as they approach their 16th birthday. King is 16 in January I believe.

The longest contract we can sign them on when they are under 18 is for 3 years. We can't sign them up to that until they reach school leaving age, or 16. That's the critical point with guys like Gilmour and, possibly, King. They can walk away at any time until they sign that contract - which is why clubs like Chelsea and Liverpool hover as they approach their 16th birthday. King is 16 in January I believe.

why did we receive £500K for Gilmour

Let's hope we don't end up with another Gilmour situation on our hands with these young lads. Great to see us finally producing but teams like Chelsea have the pulling power to snap the boys up whilst we recieve a pittance for them.
That galls me too but to be fair we (and the mhankies) have been doing similar to Scottish teams for years

why did we receive £500K for Gilmour

Clubs are still due Development Fee's for young players. It could've went to a tribunal and we could've got £200k so Chelsea gave us £500k to sweeten the deal for us and secure Gilmour for them.

Losing Gilmour at that stage cost the club millions.

Clubs are still due Development Fee's for young players. It could've went to a tribunal and we could've got £200k so Chelsea gave us £500k to sweeten the deal for us and secure Gilmour for them.

Losing Gilmour at that stage cost the club millions.

sadly he won't be the last

i think it allowed chelsea to seal the deal before he was free to sign for them.

We basically gave then 'exclusivity' for when he turned 16. It was one of the deals that contributed to Chelsea's transfer embargo and Rangers received a fine of £2800 for our part in colluding with them.

Who's your tip for stardom from current full timers

Rangers Development Squad
  • Aidan McAdams – Goalkeeper – (2020)
  • Kieran Wright – Goalkeeper – (2020)
  • Nicky Hogarth – Goalkeeper (2020)
  • Brian Kinnear – Goalkeeper – (2020)

• Jordan Houston – Right Back – (2020)
  • Nathan Patterson – Right Back – (2020)
  • Lewis Mayo – Centre Back – (2021)
  • Rhys Breen – Centre Back – (2020)
  • Kyle McClelland – Centre Back – (2020)
  • Danny Finlayson – Centre Back – (2021)
  • Aidan Wilson – Centre Back – (2020)
  • Matthew Shiels – Left Back – (2021)
  • James Maxwell – Left Back – (2021)
  • Zac Butterworth – Full Back & Winger – (2021)
  • Jamie Barjonas – Central Midfield – (2021)
  • Cammy Palmer – Central Midfield – (2021)
  • Stephen Kelly – Central Midfield – (2021)
  • Jack Thomson – Central Midfield – (2020)
  • Ciaran Dickson – Central Midfield – (2020)
  • Ben Williamson – Central Midfield – (2020)
  • John Balde – Central Midfield – (2020)
  • Kai Kennedy – Central Midfield & Winger (2021)
  • Serge Atakayi – Winger – (2020)
  • Kieran McKechnie – Winger – (2020)
  • Josh McPake – Winger & Striker (2022)
  • Dapo Mebude – Striker – (2021)
  • Zak Rudden – Striker – (2021)

Rangers under 18 squad

• Jay Hogarth – Goalkeeper
  • Lewis Budinauckas – Goalkeeper

• Adam Devine – Right Back & Centre Back
  • Matthew Henderson – Left Back
  • Ryan Muir – Right Back & Left Back
  • Leon King – Centre Back & Central Midfield