Leon King

Calcio

Short appearance, but impressed me in his spell.

I cannot recall him losing a tackle or header, even against the massive lad that came on for Stirling Albion he recognised he wasn't going to jump higher than him so positioned his body extremely well to win the ball.

Seems extremely intelligent, composed on the ball with some nice passes, and has the physique of a centre back.

Looking forward to seeing him more often.

Short appearance, but impressed me in his spell.

I cannot recall him losing a tackle or header, even against the massive lad that came on for Stirling Albion he recognised he wasn't going to jump higher than him so positioned his body extremely well to win the ball.

Seems extremely intelligent, composed on the ball with some nice passes, and has the physique of a centre back.

Looking forward to seeing him more often.
I agree. Actually looked better tonight than in many of the B Team games I’ve watched him play. Very assured.

Up against very little obviously but even allowing for that his willingness to ask for the ball at every opportunity was the most pleasing thing for me.

Also seems to read the game well which is impressive for one so young and inexperienced.

He has the physique. Early signs suggest he has the ability. Derek Johnstone was 18 years old when he played at centre-back in Barcelona and 19 when he played there in the 1973 Cup Final then for Scotland at Wembley three weeks later. Nobody doubted him.

Up against very little obviously but even allowing for that his willingness to ask for the ball at every opportunity was the most pleasing thing for me.

Also seems to read the game well which is impressive for one so young and inexperienced.
The same for Lowry, there was no hiding

Be lucky if he’s here in 2/3 years IMO.
Correct
especially if we don’t start putting him in the squad or actually playing him in games.
It is unfortunate for young players that we have to win every single game well, so there is little chance to give them the opportunity to play often

He looks to have filled out a lot since I last saw him in the B team. I remember him being built like the side of a fiver. I was impressed with the part he played tonight. Would like to see him get more game time

From B team reports I was expecting a sprout of a teenager who hadn’t grown since his last first team outing. He will naturally fill and even more so with hard work but he held the stature of being a senior centre half and another promising display. Easy option would have been to slot him in at RB, don’t attack, don’t move and roll the ball back to Goldson every time. Done well and the trust of Gio to play in the spine of the team sandwiched between Captain and Vice Captain will do everything for him

I’m impressed with Leon King’s physicality and I’m no expert on sport science and the work that goes into physical conditioning of players. However I watched three B team games early in the season and was disappointed in King. He looked good on the ball, but could be bullied and harassed. Shape and build tonight was completely different and that must be the effect of playing against men in the Lowland League. He’ll make it and his future is bright, probably a future profit for us. Next for Rangers is to push the rule that our B team should be allowed promotion up and to Championship level to allow our guys to progress.

I have been to about 6 or 7 b team games this season and I thought tonight was the best I have seen him play

Similar, clearly he has been playing within himself in the B games. Everybody within the Club has talked him up, I was honestly struggling to see it. However tonight showed he has something.

I’m impressed with Leon King’s physicality and I’m no expert on sport science and the work that goes into physical conditioning of players. However I watched three B team games early in the season and was disappointed in King. He looked good on the ball, but could be bullied and harassed. Shape and build tonight was completely different and that must be the effect of playing against men in the Lowland League. He’ll make it and his future is bright, probably a future profit for us. Next for Rangers is to push the rule that our B team should be allowed promotion up and to Championship level to allow our guys to progress.
Coincidentally, Craig Mullholland was speaking recently that the lowland league campaign has hugely benefitted the players in regards to the sports science side of things.

There’s more to player development than we can see from the stands, I think sometimes people forget that when discussing young players.

It’s fascinating.

Last edited:
Looks quick and did well, I hope he’s got another stretch in him as he could do with a bit more height if possible.

Thought he looked confident, with good physique and pace…but some of his passing and decision making was quite poor.
Hope he can push on and improve going forward.

Next for Rangers is to push the rule that our B team should be allowed promotion up and to Championship level to allow our guys to progress.
This would be good, although we will probably need to win it at least once first before having any leverage. Some of our B players by accounts are way better than that level as a team currently the league table shows it’s the right place.

Hopefully the first team perform in certain games second half the season and put the matches away early, give both King and Lowry more time.

Done very well in his time on the park last night.
Looks comfortable and assured.
Hopefully get more game time from now on.

Why wait 2-3 years? We played Danny Wilson aged 17 in Champions League.

King is accomplished and should be around 3rd choice CB, especially when we consider contract situations of others.
Danny Wilson hardly developed into the second coming of Richard Gough, to be fair.

Anyway, King currently isn’t at a reliable enough level to consistently play meaningful games, he still has tons of development to do before then.

The ideal progression should be hopefully 4th choice next season (I’d still be surprised), then 3rd choice the following and hopefully challenging after that.

Therefore I reckon it’ll be 2-3 years at best before he’s starting regularly for us, i would love to be wrong of course.

As things stand, we don't even have a place in the Lowland League next season. It was a one year only deal. Hopefully they revisit that but the backing for us being there was far from unanimous.

Back