Let’s talk about hagi

We did not buy the finished item. We bought potential. He shows he has it in spades. Give him time.

This ^^^^

Young players take time to develop, they have good days and bad days. We need to support them through both. Hagi undoubtably has genuine talent that we need to nurture, rather than kill him with expectation. Patience is required.

Wasn’t poor but wasn’t great. People are so harsh. He contributed and played some through balls, involved in the second goal.

As for the poor touches, I said it in the match thread, I get the impression he’s worried about his man going through the back of him.

If that is the case.... once he gets over this and adapts to the physical nature of the game here he will be a great player.
Had 2 or 3 men on him everytime and they were getting free hits on him too, yet he still plays with his head up and always looking for the forward pass.

Didnt have a good game tonight but still played a part in our goal. Similar to kent last season in that he is trying to hard i reckon but ive no doubts he will come good.

I think once Hagi connects with a player who is on his wavelength, that we’ll see some very special football, or at least, I hope that’s the case lol

What do you expect? Gheorghe Hagi? We bought his potential, he is a young guy and not the finished article.

Give him the guy a break. Probably a good thing we don't have supporters in the ground on nights like that, too many want to grumble and groan at everything.
They'd have been launching their tampons on the park after 10 mins and screeching like children. Behind closed doors is a blessing for us. Our home support is a hindrance.

You want him to be a holding midfielder on an attacking midfielder?
This is exactly the point.
Jack and Kamara effectively give the ball to Hagi to create.
With that creation Hagi will run into much thinner opportunities where he’s trying to use the ball that puts us at huge risk of losing it.
We need creative players like Hagi as there is (in general) a huge lack of it in our line up.
Hagi can’t be afraid to try things, we need him to gamble, take a chance, risk getting booed.
Whilst the other 9 players in the team take few chances (I’m not counting Ryan Kent in that cos he does take chances too)

I counted ten times he gave the ball away tonight

he does some good things but by god he is frustrating to watch

great win onwards and upwards

Fucking hell.

He gives the ball away because he tries stuff, if he played safe fuds would be slating him as well, another example of why we’re better off without loonballs in the stand, it’s really sad to say as I’m paying a fortune not to be there, but I’m glad we’re keeping the boo boys out.

he makes loads of mistakes, but he doesn’t shy away from the ball or hide which makes it look worse when he’s having an off night, his work rate is amazing and a few times he nearly unlocked the defence tonight. was unlucky at the end with the shot

I like how frustrated he gets with himself. Shows he knows he has the ability, and that he cares.

I get the feeling there will be a point (and i have no idea when) where it all clicks into place.

I think you have to look at the big picture. We have 3 players in Kent, Hagi and Aribo who are all "moments" players. Any one of the 3 can change the game with one split second of brilliance. You put 3 in the side and each week you have 3 tickets to win a lottery prize of one of them winning the game. So far Hagi was the guy in Lyon, Aribo in pre-season at Ibrox and Kent in the league have all been winning tickets in different games.

However, there's a second lottery in play. The lottery rollover jackpot is one becomes a guy who can dominate games consistently rather than winning it in a moment and it's a rare ability in Scotland. DeBoer (maybe) and Laudrup are the last guys who had that talent to just dominate entire games (or seasons) from the AM/ 10/ winger positions.

Hopefully at least one of them can kick on and become the guy but remember Aribo and Kent are about 3 years older than Hagi so he's probably the furthest away from reaching his potential.

FWIW I think Aribo is going to be the main man this season but there will be games when we need a moment from other players and I think Kent and Hagi are going to be worth their weight in gold. Just because he hasn't been the guy in the first 3 weeks doesn't mean he won't be the match winner on Sunday. It just takes a moment.

Agree with most comments that we bought potential for a top player not a finished article. I was frustrated as hell with his performance tonight, I’d go as far as to say he was a man short tonight. That said he didn’t try to hide and that’s easy to do when it’s just not happening for you. Against St Johnstone we can overcome that type of off mark performance but against the better teams he wouldn’t get back out in the second half.

Did you count the fouls he drew, including the one resulting to the free kick we scored from?
And also the runs he makes to create space for others. I sometimes think some people see what a player does on the ball. Hagi and Alfredo made miles today trying to create space for others.

Exactly, he cost £3m, not £30m. Sometimes I despair...
Despair all you like . He was poor tonight in a team that was in the main playing well and he was the cause of moves breaking down first half. 3K £3m ,£30m doesn't absolve him from criticism if he's not playing well. Not saying he doesn't have potential but as others have said a few more games like that and hell be benched.

He was a bit slack in possession tonight and he lacks a bit of pace, but, he also makes passes and plays that we couldn't afford if he were the finished article.
I think the errors can be coached out of him, as he develops. You cannot coach into him the natural talent that he obviously has. He's in the right place with Stevie G and his team to develop. Given the amount of moaners in our support, a few games in an empty stadium might help!

He’s clearly talented and will improve but I wonder where his best position might be. It’s possible he would be better suited to coming from deeper. I think he’s a lovely passer of the ball. He does tend to give the ball away with his back to goal.

Saying he gave the ball away because he tries stuff is a cop out tonight. He gave the ball away tonight mostly because he couldn’t control it. First touch was honking today. That’s gonna trigger a bunch on here who won’t allow negative comments of a player they like, even if it’s true.

He’s a great wee player but very little went right for him today.

This little fella is the jewel in the crown. Give the boy time and space and the freedom to grow, he will repay the faith in spades.
he is a supremely talented footballer, he’s still growing into the jersey and the club.
Once he’s on it, he will tear this tinpot league up. There is no doubt about it. A fantastic young talent who’s father himself was a world class talent. He’s got that natural ability, he just needs to learn and hone his trade.

watch him go once he’s ready.

Still very raw, flits in and out of games. Often gets that first touch too heavy while in good positions. Didn't really matter tonight, but in big games, could be the difference.

What do you expect? Gheorghe Hagi? We bought his potential, he is a young guy and not the finished article.

Give him the guy a break. Probably a good thing we don't have supporters in the ground on nights like that, too many want to grumble and groan at everything.

For many, that’s exactly what they expect.

He has undoubted ability, he needs to offer more though, he came with a big reputation and a big price tag.

He is offering little at the moment against the jobber dross.

I'm pretty sure I watched him play a good quick ball out to Barisic for the 2nd goal?

Granted, it wasn't the hardest pass to make but he kept the ball moving quickly.

Jeezo here we go again. Can we not just enjoy the win without criticising individual players after every game.

Not really, it’s a discussion forum. There’s no “positive chat only” policy. People are happy we won and there’s various threads discussing the many positives given that they far outweigh any negatives, but the negatives can be discussed too, which is great for fans who don’t want to put the fingers in the ears and pretend they’re not there.

3 games in for Hagi, each of them poor in my opinion, we need to be patient with him but also need to consider there comes a point where you can’t keep starting a regular under-performer, it’s not at that stage yet but of course it’s a little concern to have and people are right to have that concern. The most tedious thing in general is folk trying trying to drown out any and all discuss on aspects of games are aren’t all sunny.

For the fee we paid (imo very modest for the potential) I have no issues with him still adjusting and having the weight of his dads reputation. We know he can become great - and with the improvement in mid this year, he'll get the time to grow. Like Kent last year I think he's trying to much which does the opposite in performance.

He may be the frustrating type that will give it away and get caught in possession few times. He doesn’t always attempt 3 yard safe passes.

Kevin Thomson said in commentary the manager likes “risk takers” and Hagi is one. He sees and tries difficult passes that others don’t and in doing so might give it away several time’s but when it’s right it creates good chances.

Tonight he was poor. Still had good attempt himself at end and also cracking through ball to Aribo (who should have got on end of it) in first half.

He’ll have more games like tonight this season I reckon, but he’ll also dig us out a few times with his quality, imo.

He is a player that try’s things they won’t always work which will be frustrating. 1 day the wil all work n he will be quality. But he always looks for the ball that makes space for others. So important for our formation

Surely to %^*& when we get a comprehensive result like that, you cant start singling people out. Early doors yet for the boy, lets not get carried away... yet.

Looks like he’s trying too hard
What does this actually mean? People keep using it. For what it's worth, the lad can see a pass and has a great 1st touch, I just worry that he is a bit too slow to be able to put it all together

This ^^^^

Young players take time to develop, they have good days and bad days. We need to support them through both. Hagi undoubtably has genuine talent that we need to nurture, rather than kill him with expectation. Patience is required.

Hes 2/3 years younger than the others, and it’ll take time for him.

We need to spell him over the whole season & id leave him out for the Livi game.

He will be a great player if he shows the right work ethic & attitude to progression.

Talk about Hagi? Young lad with bags of potential that was just part of a team that won 3-0. Wasn't at his best. Like vast majority of young players won't be fully consistent. Nothing much else needs said to be honest.

Back