Let’s talk about hagi

You see flashes of absolute brilliance from him. That turn and shot late in the game had the St Johnstone defender in no man's land.

He just needs to find his proper position in the team but talent wise he's as good as we've seen in many a year.

He'll be fine.

The current structure of the midfield is not helping him one bit in terms of fluidity and tempo.

I also think he'll be fine, but I don't understand what you mean, by fluidity and tempo?

Gerrard is playing the 4-2-3-1 we all wanted against weaker teams, plus Jack and particularly Kamara have been outstanding in the 2.

We're shortly going to have Aribo, Hagi, Kent and Roofe all fighting for the 3 positions behind the striker.

We've got quality all over the park, with excellent back up.

Is that not what we all wanted?

In the three league games so far Hagi has certainly lost his touch for spells however he has also produced some sublime moments and with a wee bit of luck these moments would have been telling. He also works his Kelvins off and never hides!

I’d definitely sooner have him than not.

Not great the last couple of games, we know what he is/will be capable of though so let's not make him the new whipping boy.

Yes his form needs to improve and I believe it will. I like Hagi and think he'll be seen important player for us. Just not at it just now.
Absolutely, his form has got to be better.
There cannot be any doubt about the lad’s talent though.

Not great the last couple of games, we know what he is/will be capable of though so let's not make him the new whipping boy.

No one is making him a whipping boy.

Some fans are of the opinion he has under performed and are discussing this on our forum in a largely sensible manner.

Thats it. Thats all it is.

Others are free to agree or disagree as is the nature of every other fans forum in the world.

Like him but it’s a bit frustrating at the moment.

However, we won 3-0, and he needs games to improve and settle.

I also think he'll be fine, but I don't understand what you mean, by fluidity and tempo?

Gerrard is playing the 4-2-3-1 we all wanted against weaker teams, plus Jack and particularly Kamara have been outstanding in the 2.

We're shortly going to have Aribo, Hagi, Kent and Roofe all fighting for the 3 positions behind the striker.

We've got quality all over the park, with excellent back up.

Is that not what we all wanted?
I'm talking about things like Ryan Jack taking 5 touches before looking up and making a pass.

This totally hinders players like Hagi when who are seeking out space to make himself available for a forward pass to mount an attack. I feel Hagi's frustration in these situations.

think a lot of people are trying to put on him some sort of pedestal due to all the hype thats been around him since lasseason and when he doesnt quite reach it, they are the first to have to ago when he has a bad game, he showed soe really good touches last night, and drifted in and out it , wasnt his best game but hes a young lad on a learning curve, he will get there and so will we

I'm talking about things like Ryan Jack taking 5 touches before looking up and making a pass.

This totally hinders players like Hagi when who are seeking out space to make himself available for a forward pass to mount an attack. I feel Hagi's frustration in these situations.

Mate, if you're being totally balanced and fair, what hindered Hagi more than anything last night was his own poor 1st touch.
The ball regularly got away from him.

I like Hagi and he'll be a big player for us this season, but it just wasn't his night.

Jack played well and it's unfair and biased to blame Hagi's off night on him.

There will be games this season when a bit of magic from Hagi is the difference for us, but last night wasn't one of them.

We won the game comfortably with the majority of the team playing well, that's the main thing.

Hes had an off game everybody has one ,hes still a young lad ,st johnstone players all over him at times ,ive no doubt he will be a big player for us this season
For me am not sure about having a bad game his touch is out at the moment am thinking after watching the last couple of games SG hasn’t found the right balance from middle to front but not complaining I take 3 point no matter how we get them But we will need to get better in our style of play am sure it will come in the next couple weeks

I think the evolution of our team in general has been quite astounding. Just a few years ago you could count on one hand the number of international players. Now, other than most of the English players (except Defoe) we're littered with internationals.

Goalkeepers - McGregor and McLaughlin (Scotland internationals)

Defenders - Helander (Sweden), Balogun (Nigeria), Barisic & Katic (Croatia)

Midfield - Jack (Scotland), Davis (Northern Ireland), Kamara (Finland), Aribo (Nigeria), Arfield (Canada)

Attack - Morelos (Colombia), Hagi (Romania), Itten (Switzerland), Defoe (England), Jones (Northern Ireland), Roofe (turned down Jamaica)

Not at all. At that money i expect someone can control the bal at leat. Dont be blinkered when thets are obvious flaws in his game tonight. Come back to me later in the season and ill admit I was wrong but he was poor tonight

So Hagi can’t control the ball - is that what you’re saying?

His 1st touch tonight was not his norm, however the amount of times he took up great positions to receive the ball was far more than his turnovers.
He was closed down rapidly, some of the passes he received were over hit.
A bit frustrating watching him tonight but you can see what he brings to the team.
Another game could bring 2/3 assists.
I noticed at times tonight his team mates passing the ball to him when he was surrounded by 3 St J players in a tight space and he lost the ball.. give a guy a hard pass to take dont be surprised when he loses the ball. But it does show how confident his team mates are in him to give him the ball in these positions.

He looks to be a decent player, some of his passing is superb and probably better at finding players than most in the team. Sure he has some bad touches at time’s but so do all players. I think Gerrard knows this might be the case in his early career and why we have new players that can play his position. Hagi, Roofe and Kent rotating that role over the course of the season will do us fine

We’ve got threads on here next to this one claiming Barisic as one of the best left backs in Europe and also how Joe Aribo is our best player.

They were both getting the FF treatment that Hagi is just now around a year ago, yet people never learn.

Patience is required, simple as that.

Mate, if you're being totally balanced and fair, what hindered Hagi more than anything last night was his own poor 1st touch.

I like Hagi and he'll be a big player for us this season, but it just wasn't his night.

There will be games this season when a bit of magic from Hagi is the difference for us, but last night wasn't one of them.

We won the game comfortably with the majority of the team playing well, that's the main thing.
With regard to Hagi, I wasn't so much referring his performance to last night. Yes, he didn't have his best ever game.

However I still say that fundamentally Jack has an issue is being to slow to look up and move the ball forward. You're only going to get the best out of the likes of Hagi and Kent when you have a midfield who release early and find players in space. I'm sorry, but Jack's five or so touches before moving the ball makes it difficult for our attacking strategy.

As for last night. A set piece and a couple of goals either side of half time, fine. But outwith that there were large periods of play when we lacked fluidity and tempo and the cohesion in the middle was poor.

I'm glad SG wasn't exactly bursting with joy over the performance because it was very sticky in large patches.

I'd have taken the win beforehand obviously, but there is so much to be improved on middle to front - as always.

To those wanting Hagi hung drawn and quartered - I saw Davie Cooper having the type of game Hagi had tonight on numerous occasions in the early 80s . In fact I remember coming away from a 0/0 draw with Dumbarton at Ibrox and wondering why we still had him as a regular starter . Then you see the man being untouchable in the next game .

I’m not comparing the two ability wise but I’m pointing out the obvious - even the Very best have off days . Hagi is also 21 ffs .

I get what he’s saying. Some of our goals already this season (3rd against St Mirren, 2nd last night) have come from the quick tempo forward pass-based movement from the midfield and front three, yet there are times where we clearly choose not to do that in favour of a safer pass.

You can see in the highlights, there’s a fair number of quick turns and fast balls into feet from Hagi - he’s always trying.

OP moaning about him giving the ball away ten times? Plenty of players wouldn’t even have tried a single risky pass after three or four.

With regard to Hagi, I wasn't so much referring his performance to last night. Yes, he didn't have his best ever game.

However I still say that fundamentally Jack has an issue is being to slow to look up and move the ball forward. You're only going to get the best out of the likes of Hagi and Kent when you have a midfield who release early and find players in space. I'm sorry, but Jack's five or so touches before moving the ball makes it difficult for our attacking strategy.

As for last night. A set piece and a couple of goals either side of half time, fine. But outwith that there were large periods of play when we lacked fluidity and tempo and the cohesion in the middle was poor.

I'm glad SG wasn't exactly bursting with joy over the performance because it was very sticky in large patches.

I'd have taken the win beforehand obviously, but there is so much to be improved on middle to front - as always.

I thought Kent played well last night and chipped in with another goal.

Hagi was as alert as ever and got himself into some great positions, but it just wasn't his night.

I thought Jack had a decent game too, particularly in shielding the central defenders.

I agree though, we should always be looking to improve.

The ball over the top to aribo was superb. Aribo didnt anticipate it getting past the defender so slowed his run and the chance was gone. Not many in our team can play a pass like that.

I get what he’s saying. Some of our goals already this season (3rd against St Mirren, 2nd last night) have come from the quick tempo forward pass-based movement from the midfield and front three, yet there are times where we clearly choose not to do that in favour of a safer pass.

You can see in the highlights, there’s a fair number of quick turns and fast balls into feet from Hagi - he’s always trying.

OP moaning about him giving the ball away ten times? Plenty of players wouldn’t even have tried a single risky pass after three or four.

I've already said I like Hagi mate.

He didn't have his best night, but I'm not worried about it in the slightest.

He's a class player.

I've already said I like Hagi mate.

He didn't have his best night, but I'm not worried about it in the slightest.

He's a class player.

100% - don’t think tempo was his problem last night.

If anything, a period of slower play can benefit a player like Hagi as he’s the one that can play 2/3 much faster passes to catch defenders out.

He will do us proud this season once he finds his groove

Definitely happy to see a player who is happy to try and take shots from as far out as he does, feel like we have been missing that in recent seasons

To those wanting Hagi hung drawn and quartered - I saw Davie Cooper having the type of game Hagi had tonight on numerous occasions in the early 80s . In fact I remember coming away from a 0/0 draw with Dumbarton at Ibrox and wondering why we still had him as a regular starter . Then you see the man being untouchable in the next game .

I’m not comparing the two ability wise but I’m pointing out the obvious - even the Very best have off days . Hagi is also 21 ffs .

Nobody wants him hung drawn and quartered. What an absurd post.

Just because some people can’t accept he had a stinker last night they’re making ridiculous straw man arguments again.

I don’t think anyone is saying he is crap? They are just saying he had a crap game. But they know he has quality and will come good. Huge difference.

Just because some people can’t accept he had a stinker last night they’re making ridiculous straw man arguments again.

I don’t think anyone is saying he is crap? They are just saying he had a crap game. But they know he has quality and will come good. Huge difference.

At least one person has already said it‘s £3.5m that could have been better spent.

I disagree with that poster.

But it’s a huge leap to go from that to the post I quoted.

I don’t think anyone literally wants him hung, drawn and quartered - I take that to be very figurative - but there’s clearly people on here already decided he’s a waste of money even though he’s played four competitive games in four months.

Its a turn of phrase , taking it literally makes you the absurdity .

I don’t think anyone literally wants him hung, drawn and quartered - I take that to be very figurative - but there’s clearly people on here already decided he’s a waste of money even though he’s played four competitive games in four months.
It’s creating an absurd over reaction straw man argument to try and make it appear that people who said he was awful last night don’t have a valid argument. It’s a very weak way to debate. You know your argument is very weak so you try to misrepresent the opposing argument as being extreme and exaggerated. It’s pathetic.

The wee man was awful last night. The amount of people saying things like “it’s because he tries the hard things” to defend a guy not being able to control the balls passed to him or routinely having his pocket picked.

There’s no doubt he has ability.
There’s no doubt he was woeful last night.
There’s no doubt a young Scottish player would have been roasted by those same supporters last night.

It’s amusing what people Do on here to protect their favourites, throwing other Gers under the bus. Last game we had Balogun blamed for Goldson not defending a ball through him. From last night it appears to be everyone else’s fault Hagi couldn’t control the ball.

I don’t see why we can’t have open and honest conversations about a player’s performance without people making stuff up, denying what their eyes saw or trying to say that one bad performance is other fans claiming he isn’t a talented player.

Last edited:
The lads got massive potential - you can see he has an eye for a pass that few others do. Granted, it isn't coming off for him as often as we'd like and, in a season like this, we really need everyone firing from the very beginning. I'm hopeful that the new additions push him on to finding his best form.

Heavy name to carry about and he will need to live with that expectation for all his playing career.
The boy has talent and will develop I can see us eventually getting a massive transfer for him.

Not really, it’s a discussion forum. There’s no “positive chat only” policy. People are happy we won and there’s various threads discussing the many positives given that they far outweigh any negatives, but the negatives can be discussed too, which is great for fans who don’t want to put the fingers in the ears and pretend they’re not there.

3 games in for Hagi, each of them poor in my opinion, we need to be patient with him but also need to consider there comes a point where you can’t keep starting a regular under-performer, it’s not at that stage yet but of course it’s a little concern to have and people are right to have that concern. The most tedious thing in general is folk trying trying to drown out any and all discuss on aspects of games are aren’t all sunny.

Got to agree with you.

Folk can stick their head in the sand if they want to but if hagi continues in this poor form he will/should be benched.

There will be harder games on the horizon and we cannot afford to go into these games with an under performing player.

He’s scored two goals. I mentioned that in my first post regarding this. That doesn’t change my mind that I don’t think he’s started the season playing “great”.

Morelos has scored same goals and set up 2. I don’t think hes played “great” either

Yet both have been absolutely better than hagi so far .

Back