Lets say we win the league this season

Did anyone notice the Helmander? It's Elmander mate get it right if you are gonna get it wrong!
That's me caught with my trousers down. I'm usually good with names, especially with Swedes as my ex Mrs is from Stockholm. Maybe not as good with typing as I am in Persson...

Good question. Would any of those players get in todays 1st team?

Helicopter Sunday team below - what do you reckon?

Rangers:
Waterreus, v McGregor
Ricksen, v Tavernier
Andrews, v Katic
Kyrgiakos, v Goldson
Ball v Barasic,
Arveladze, v Kent
Ferguson, v Aribo
Alex Rae, v Jack
Buffel, v Davis
Prso, v Morelos
Novo. v Arfield

Helicopter Sunday team below - what do you reckon?

Rangers:
Waterreus, v McGregor
Ricksen, v Tavernier
Andrews, v Katic
Kyrgiakos, v Goldson
Ball v Barasic,
Arveladze, v Kent
Ferguson, v Aribo
Alex Rae, v Jack
Buffel, v Davis
Prso, v Morelos
Novo. v Arfield

Probably just Novo and Ferguson imo. Prso too if it weren’t for Morelos being such a phenomenon.

We don't have a single dud in the team.

We've won titles with plenty duds on board.
Not all in the same team obviously, but we've had a few teams carrying passengers.

Just from the 2005 squad alone, could you imagine Bob Malcolm, Steven Thompson, Maurice Ross, Gregory Vignal and Hamed Namouchi getting a game for the current team?

Not a fucking chance.

Would this be the 'weakest' squad we have won the league with?

This is in no way a dig at out current team and manager, we have a fantastic squad and our manager is exactly who we need right now, but how does this squad rank as title winning talent?

What was our best squad to win the league title?

For the record I dont care who is in the squad, as long as they are lifting the trophy at the end of the season.

This squad excites me, our style of play both domestically and in Europe excites me. I don't think we are a weak team at all

Last edited:
We’ve reached a European final since then and won 3 titles in a row.

What's your point?

We had some absolute tripe in that squad that contributed very little. Christian Dailly, Amdy Faye, Andy Webster, Chris Burke, Andrius Velicka, Alan Gow, Kirk Broadfoot, David Healy, Kyle Hutton, Richard Foster, Greg Wylde

We might had been successful but it was largely the same 15 or 16 players that Smith trusted and played regularly.

Remember that 2 of the best players from that period are in our squad now and are arguably better players than they were then.

Like I said, we may have had better players individually, but as a squad with strength in depth I think this is our best since 02/03.

Last edited:
Think it’s well established that this team is better than the ‘05 team.

We won titles with guys like Fraser Wishart, Neil Murray, Alec Cleland and Garry Bollan. This is a good side we have here.

1986-87 was by far the weakest squad I can remember in my lifetime to win the league. 6 or 7 quality players Butcher, Woods, Cooper, Durrant, McCoist, Roberts and of course Souness but the rest were mediocre players at best.

This is in no way a dig at out current team and manager, we have a fantastic squad and our manager is exactly who we need right now, but how does this squad rank as title winning talent?

For the record I dont care who is in the squad, as long as they are lifting the trophy at the end of the season.

Let's not. I recall the jizz fest before the last OF game. Let's cool our jets, keep the head down and work hard and see where we are come Easter.

To get back on track, the Helicopter Sunday team wasn't the strongest squad we ever had. Several of our current squad would get into those teams.
The correct answer.

Our modern day squad is pretty strong in comparison. I’d even have it over Walters last year.

We have current Croiatian, Columbian, Nigerian, Swedish, Scottish, Northern Irish, Canadian and Finnish internationals, 2 of which are captains of thier country as well as a former Scotland and England international in our first team.

This ain't a weak squad

Last edited:
2005 was worse than this squad.

Watterus, Kryiakos, Andrews, Smith, Ball, Novo, Rae, Lovenkrands, Hutton (at that point), Bob Malcolm, Stevie Thompson etc wouldn't get into our first team now.

Better than the side that won three titles in a row and reached a European final?

Not yet it’s not.

nah, your right, but the again I did mention that I’m talking about the latter part of that stint. The 2010/11 league winning team was very different to the 07/08 UEFA cup final team

Probably just Novo and Ferguson imo. Prso too if it weren’t for Morelos being such a phenomenon.
Ricksen was better than tav, Prso without a doubt, Kyriakos was better than Goldson, Shota over Kent no doubt, was the finished article in comparison, Rae potentially over Jack too.

nah, your right, but the again I did mention that I’m talking about the latter part of that stint. The 2010/11 league winning team was very different to the 07/08 UEFA cup final team

I think building a squad is an organic process with change occurring over time, players developing within that period, etc.

Look at Naismith as an example. He was brought in as a young guy during that 2007/08 campaign, but by 2010/11 had matured into arguably our best player.

We also had stalwarts like McGregor, Weir, Papac, Davis even Lee McCulloch that along with Naismith formed the nucleus of that squad.

But above all that we had Smith, a guy with an irrepresible winning mentality that transcended any change in personnel while infusing whatever combination of players he put together with it.

Gerrard is building a really exciting squad and appears to have a similar single minded determination to win, but he hasn't actually done so yet for us.

That's what we need to change.

I think it's easy to say our squad is weak compared to the past but let's remember we had Helmander, Kamara, Arfield, Davis, Borna, Aribo and Alfie out in their national squads this week and Jones and Jack would have joined them but for injury.

Remember too the Finland, Sweden and Croatia may well go to the euros and that Canada are top of their concacaf nations league. It's not like we're fielding utter diddies.

When was the last time a Ranger scored against Brazil?
That you Chris Sutton? :p

Ridiculous statement 'weakest squad ' , when we signed people like Katic , Jack , Tav , Kamara , Barasic , Airfield , Kent , Stewart , even Alfie all had their critics on here now we realise how good they are . When we win 55 this season posters will look back and realise how good this squad is. This squad will grow in sure to be remembered with affection for a long long time

To get back on track, the Helicopter Sunday team wasn't the strongest squad we ever had. Several of our current squad would get into those teams.
Was thinking the same, I'd say our squad now has more talent than that one, but those guys had an amazing mentality.

Ricksen was better than tav, Prso without a doubt, Kyriakos was better than Goldson, Shota over Kent no doubt, was the finished article in comparison, Rae potentially over Jack too.
Jesus, we do look back with rose coloured specs don't we? I'd disagree with every one of them apart from maybe Shota. It's all about opinions though.

Every single one of them will be immortal.
Every single person involved with the club will be immortal.

Like when NASA done the mission to the moon and the cleaner was asked what his job is? His reply to get man on the moon well all the staff at Ibrox job is to deliver 55 :)

Jesus, we do look back with rose coloured specs don't we? I'd disagree with every one of them apart from maybe Shota. It's all about opinions though.
Are you saying you disagree with Fergie, Prso and Novo too?

I'd say you are looking Ricksen was POTY that season, Tav hasn't hit those heights, likely never will.
Kyriakos went on to play for Liverpool and had a stellar career. Jack has only started hitting the heights this season, has still to prove himself consistantly.

People are overly negative about that squad I think because it was a downsizing from the Advocaat squads.

When 55 is secured. I'm very much interested in what the party celebrations are going to be and where :)

But ricksen played central midfield most if the season so you cant compare

Ricksen was a laughing stock for us really until he moved into midfield
Laughing stock, catch yourself. He played most of the treble winning season at right back.

I'm just saying he was a better player in 04-05 than which was the comparison someone else made.

Good point. This was the team that clinched it.
  • Rangers
    • 01 McGregor
    • 03 Weir
    • 05 Papac
    • 16 Whittaker
    • 24 Bougherra
    • 39 Wylde
    • 07 Edu
    • 08 Davis
    • 11 Lafferty
    • 14 Naismith
    • 18 Jelavic
  • Substitutes
    • 25 Alexander,
    • 12 Foster,
    • 06 McCulloch,
    • 10 Fleck,
    • 15 Healy,
    • 17 Diouf,
    • 41 Hutton
Yes I agree.

Laughing stock, catch yourself. He played most of the treble winning season at right back.

I'm just saying he was a better player in 04-05 than which was the comparison someone else made.

I think recent events may have given a misty perspective of his time with us to be honest.

Maurice Ross and Kevin Muscat played the majority of that season at right back.

We played a 4-3-3 with Ferguson, Arteta and Ricksen in midfield for most of the season.

Comparing Ricksen at right back to Tav at right back is night and day. Ricksen was awful for us at right back and his Rangers career was only really saved by moving into midfield.

I don’t care what people think but this team will go down as legends if we win the league this season. It’s a fact given the amount of utter shite we’ve been through such as being on the brink of non-existence. Couldn’t care if it’s “weak” or not, the team is brilliant for such budget.

It’s much better than the team that did Helicopter Sunday.

Are you saying you disagree with Fergie, Prso and Novo too?

I'd say you are looking Ricksen was POTY that season, Tav hasn't hit those heights, likely never will.
Kyriakos went on to play for Liverpool and had a stellar career. Jack has only started hitting the heights this season, has still to prove himself consistantly.

People are overly negative about that squad I think because it was a downsizing from the Advocaat squads.
I wouldn't disagree with Ferguson, but in my opinion, I don't think Novo and Prso are better than Defoe or Morelos. I've had many an argument with my mates about Prso :)

Wish we would leave the speculation alone. It does no good, especially this negative shit

Good point. This was the team that clinched it.
  • Rangers
    • 01 McGregor
    • 03 Tavernier
    • 05 Weir
    • 16 Bougherra
    • 24 Papac
    • 39 Aribo
    • 07 Jack
    • 08 Davis
    • 11 Morelos
    • 14 Naismith
    • 18 Jelavic
  • Substitutes
    • 25 Alexander,
    • 12 Flanagan,
    • 06 Kamara,
    • 10 Helander
    • 15 Kent,
    • 17 Ojo,
    • 41 Defoe

Amended that squad to what I think would be best combined

I think recent events may have given a misty perspective of his time with us to be honest.

Maurice Ross and Kevin Muscat played the majority of that season at right back.

We played a 4-3-3 with Ferguson, Arteta and Ricksen in midfield for most of the season.

Comparing Ricksen at right back to Tav at right back is night and day. Ricksen was awful for us at right back and his Rangers career was only really saved by moving into midfield.

I've already said I wasn't making that comparison no matter how much your trying to push it.

I've already said I wasn't making that comparison no matter how much your trying to push it.

But you did make that comparison!

It's like saying Prso was better than Goldson. Would you make that comparison? No, as they are different positions.

A comparison between Ricksen and Tavernier can only be made for their contributions at right back, as that's all Tavernier has played for us.

You should be comparing Ricksen to Ryan Jack or Glen Kamara.

As much as I loved Papac, and currently he has contributed more over a longer period, Barisic is a far superior player.

I imagine two years from now Barisic will definitely take over that role, but given his stunted start to his rangers career and the trophies Papac lifted, scoring against fiorentina etc, I've got Sasa in there for now

But you did make that comparison!

It's like saying Prso was better than Goldson. Would you make that comparison? No, as they are different positions.

A comparison between Ricksen and Tavernier can only be made for their contributions at right back, as that's all Tavernier has played for us.

You should be comparing Ricksen to Ryan Jack or Glen Kamara.
For the 3rd time, someone else did a player for player comparison. It was Tav V Ricksen in his comparison and all I said was Ricksen is the better player. I didnt mention positions.

Ricksen 04/05 was better than any midfielder we have currently also. Hopefully he it can be eclipsed if the current players keep up thier form and win the league.

For the 3rd time, someone else did a player for player comparison. It was Tav V Ricksen in his comparison and all I said was Ricksen is the better player. I didnt mention positions.

Ricksen 04/05 was better than any midfielder we have currently also. Hopefully he it can be eclipsed if the current players keep up thier form and win the league.

Yeah and Ricksen was at right back in the original team quoted

What's your point?

We had some absolute tripe in that squad that contributed very little. Christian Dailly, Amdy Faye, Andy Webster, Chris Burke, Andrius Velicka, Alan Gow, Kirk Broadfoot, David Healy, Kyle Hutton, Richard Foster, Greg Wylde

We might had been successful but it was largely the same 15 or 16 players that Smith trusted and played regularly.

Remember that 2 of the best players from that period are in our squad now and are arguably better players than they were then.

Like I said, we may have had better players individually, but as a squad with strength in depth I think this is our best since 02/03.

Bit selective there, no? We have some deadwood in the current squad contributing very little too, every squad does. Claiming Broadfoot contributed very little is ludicrous by the way, you may not like him but he played his part.

We may have strength in depth but it’s all relative, the standard of Scottish football is as low as I can remember. The 10/11 squad won the league and cup up against a far superior Celtic team to the current one all while doing reasonably well in the champions league and reaching the latter stages of the Europa League. You don’t do that without a strong squad.

Back