Lewis Ferguson at Bologna

For a lot of people, I do.

And your opinion above that he was 'one of the best in the league' was very much in the minority imo. Appreciate that is subjective though.

Fwiw you are entitled to think that mate, it wouldn't do if we all agreed on everything but, this notion that him doing ok at his new club someone 'proves' that everyone who didn't want him was definitely wrong doesn't stack up for me.

Is that proof that we should've signed Ferguson or that our recruitment has been poor, coupled with us being unlucky with injuries?

Cantwell, Raskin, Lawrence and Tillman are all better from what I've seen. That's the sort of level/potential we should be looking to buy.
Proof? Haha, it is an opinion on messageboard. Not a court of law ffs.

For a lot of people, I do.

And your opinion above that he was 'one of the best in the league' was very much in the minority imo. Appreciate that is subjective though.

Fwiw you are entitled to think that mate, it wouldn't do if we all agreed on everything but, this notion that him doing ok at his new club someone 'proves' that everyone who didn't want him was definitely wrong doesn't stack up for me.
Well, at the end of the day no signing is guaranteed to work out. Whether Lewis Ferguson or anyone else!

Proof? Haha, it is an opinion on messageboard. Not a court of law ffs.

What are you wittering on about? I've said in my last post that I know this is about opinions.

My point was about people bumping this thread every now and again because he has scored a goal to say 'see I told you so' and I don't think it will change anyone's mind. I'm sure you knew that though.

Well, at the end of the day no signing is guaranteed to work out. Whether Lewis Ferguson or anyone else!

Of course mate. I've no axe to grind with the lad, as said I hope he does well. I just think we need better.

Jack, Kamara and Lundstram for starters.

Realistically we weren't going to be spending the guts of £5m replacing any of those players.

CM wasn't seen as a priority in the summer after the season Lundstram had just had.

It's easy to Monday morning quarterback a year later - I also think people are going a bit overboard because he's scored six goals for a mid table Serie A team.

I am quite interested in how Scottish players are doing abroad. That’s all. No shit stirring from me.
Maybe from you that’s fair. But he has a point. I didn’t see any mega threads for Aaron Hickey or Ollie Burke when they were playing abroad.

For the most part it’s just been used for childish “I told ye so” type crap from people who think doing alright at a mid table Serie A side proves we were wrong not to push the boat out for him.

Realistically we weren't going to be spending the guts of £5m replacing any of those players.

CM wasn't seen as a priority in the summer after the season Lundstram had just had.

It's easy to Monday morning quarterback a year later - I also think people are going a bit overboard because he's scored six goals for a mid table Serie A team.
For me it's more the fact he gets a game for a mid table Serie A team at only 23. He's had some debut season. And Serie A is a tough league. Lukaku only has 10 goals in it for a team in the CL final. Good on young Ferguson, I wish him the best

A fully fit hes not infact plays a different role in midfield.. ferguson doesn't even get a game fir Scotland in front of jack
Problem is when is Jack ever fully fit? The guys made of cardboard, he's played roughly 20 games a season on average for us and how many has been as a sub? I'd take Ferguson over him any day of the week. He also has more goals and assists than Jack in a much harder league for a worse team...

Well hes not better than jack ( fitness only problem ) ir raskin or cantwell... is he better than lawrence nope .. our problem doesn't come in the midfield its up top and in defence
I honestly think Ferguson with Raskin and Cantwell would be a great 3. Jack is my favourite player and I wish he was always fit.

The obsession with Ferguson continues just because he signed for an italian side.

If he is doing well for them great but we don't need a new thread everytime he scores or makes a good pass, we will be quite alright without Lewis aferguson I can assure you.

The obsession with Ferguson continues just because he signed for an italian side.

If he is doing well for them great but we don't need a new thread everytime he scores or makes a good pass, we will be quite alright without Lewis aferguson I can assure you.
What about the obsession and belief you have that telling us every day all the players in this league are crap and that we should sign foreigners cos theres absolutely no chance any of them will fail ?

When all’s said and done, there’s not a chance he would have progressed as quickly in this shitey backwater playing against 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes, for 90% of the season fixtures.

The lad had the balls to make the move abroad, has clearly put in the work and is going places. I hope he signs for one of the big teams in Italy.

I've always said it. But it's time to I have a large collection of butt-plugs. He would play a part in a league winning Rangers next season. He will be worth the money. Just a matter of whether we can afford him and if he wants to come.

Last edited:
This phrase is thrown about a lot on here, but feel it’s fitting for Lewis Ferguson- I have a large collection of butt-plugs… would be a great addition to the current Rangers midfield IMO.

We getting this shite till the end of time? Weve been aware of him since he was born and deemed him either not good enough or not affordable enough for our budget. Get over it. And that includes 4 different managers. 2 of whom played at a level no one on this board can even imagine.

I hope he does tremendous. The lads a true bluenose and ive met him a couple of times and he genuinely seems a cracking lad. I wish nothing but the best for him - but he will not be a Rangers player anytime soon, and we would be heavy favourites to beat his current team if we ever met - so im not sure wtf bumps like this are for?

Your comment 'still clearly not good enough for us according to some'

He's playing for Bologna, and doing well. That's his level.

He's not Rangers standard.

He's not considered to be Bologna's top player.

edit: sorry forgot to add Ffs
A player who was one of the best in the league we play in and has went on to do well in Italy is not Rangers standard.

Fair enough.
Ah, the mythical, and to-date, unquantified, 'Rangers standard' raises it's head in the close season again. Wonderful.

As for Ferguson, good luck to him, and the other young Scots brave enough to try their luck abroad.

We're actually dissing a mid table Italian team whilst getting excited over signings from similair or lesser sides?

People on here were in a frenzy about us signing Skov Olsen from the same team (who incidentally scored less goals for them).

It's funny seeing people from a footballing backwater trying to disparage playing well in a top 5 league because they made a decision on a player ages ago.

Ah, the mythical, and to-date, unquantified, 'Rangers standard' raises it's head in the close season again. Wonderful.

As for Ferguson, good luck to him, and the other young Scots brave enough to try their luck abroad.

'Rangers standard' means a player better than we have who will fit into our style of play and will be a regular first pick.

Ferguson does not fit that criteria.

wouldnt be surprised if one of the relegated prem teams where having a look at him. 1 year in the championship then prem. bit like john mcginn

Would’ve taken him at the right time, he’d have had to change a lot of his game though - no chance he’s getting away with the hard tackles and the whinging like he did at Aberdeen.

Too late now though, all the best to him.

'Rangers standard' means a player better than we have who will fit into our style of play and will be a regular first pick.

Ferguson does not fit that criteria.
I'd argue pretty strongly that he's a better player than Lundstram and would be suited to playing beside Raskin.

But anyway. This is all pointless. His next move will be England, probably for upwards of £10m. He's out of our price range now regardless of what anybody on here thinks of him.

Good to see a young Bluenose doing well for himself.

The sheep would have held us to ransom over Ferguson and he would have cost us double what Bologna paid for him.

We need to get over this. Yes other SPFL teams will charge us a premium vs selling their players abroad. But it’s likely a smaller premium than if those players succeed overseas and we look to bring them in later. Ferguson is a prime example of that.

By not acquiring players of this type from Scottish clubs we are simply delaying and adding cost to the issue. I’d also rather both the talent and money stayed in Scotland. Rangers should always seek to sign the best Scottish players and if they come at a premium, we just need to accept that as an unfortunate truth. It’s not a unique issue to Scotland either, “homegrown” players always come at a premium in any league due to the rules around European participation.

Back