Lewis Gibson

With talk of the extension for Katic, you would imagine that three of our four centre backs next year would be:

Goldson
Katic
Helander

Presumably this kid and Edmundson will slog it out for the fourth choice spot.

Yeah but if he's 19 he might not be first team squad quite yet.
He's potentially leaving Everton because he's a stand out at PL2 level and wants more first team minutes.

If we don't promise him first team minutes, he won't be coming here.

Interesting to note that he's a left footed CB too. Would give us Helander and Gibson as LCB's, and Goldson and Katic as RCB's maybe?

He's potentially leaving Everton because he's a stand out at PL2 level and wants more first team minutes.

Interesting to note that he's a left footed CB too. Would give us Helander and Gibson as LCB's, and Goldson and Katic as RCB's maybe?

Edmundson out on loan you reckon?

What about the 19 year old CBs in the development squad at the moment, I take it they are considered to be nowhere near the first team? I can't see the benefit of sending Edmundson out on loan, we paid money for him and he is certainly good enough for our first team. How many CBs do we need?

It’s a signing that very much matches the model. Bring in young talented players for as little as possible improve the for a few years sell them on at a profit. Signing him would likely mean a decent bid for Katic would see him gone.

Three options for me.
1. We’re going to sell on Goldson.
2. We’re going to sell on Katic.
3. We’re going to sell on Helander.

Lewis Gibson isn’t signing for a team that don’t guarantee him minutes.

One of only two players from the England U17 World Cup winning squad who haven’t played in the first team yet. By all accounts being held back by Marco Silva.

Knocked back the likes of City & Spurs to join Everton as he saw a better pathway for him there.

It's one of those ones where as long as he stays fit, we sign him for free and he's immediately worth 4-10m depending on how he performs - which as a couple people have mentioned, matched the model. Sometimes if those players become available, you need to pick them up and shuffle your existing options. My guess would be Edmundson on loan to the Championship for a season and see where we're at next summer.

Newcastle are trying to get him back and any time I’ve seen him play he’s been a left back rather than centre back.

This is a potential cross-border bargain for us again.
These are the sorts of players we need to be picking up for pennies and selling for multi-millions.
The boy has time to learn and may be so good that he immediately demands a first team place?
Whatever happens if we get him for a cross-border development fee we will make money on him.
It’s possible we may even loan him out to a EFL championship club!!

This is a potential cross-border bargain for us again.
These are the sorts of players we need to be picking up for pennies and selling for multi-millions.
The boy has time to learn and may be so good that he immediately demands a first team place?
Whatever happens if we get him for a cross-border development fee we will make money on him.
It’s possible we may even loan him out to a EFL championship club!!

What about 19 year old reserve centre half’s already at the club

Edmunson right aswell?

Strange one for me tbh. The only way I’d be adding to centre back area is if it’s someone who’s an unquestionable starter or unless one of the four was for the off.

Three options for me.
1. We’re going to sell on Goldson.
2. We’re going to sell on Katic.
3. We’re going to sell on Helander.

Katic is where the profit lies, that's our model. Personally i'd like to see him stay another season as he is still improving and there is more money to be made. This boy coming in could mean Edmundson going out on loan next year.

You cant stand still in the world of football. We need to constantly be recruiting the best out there if we are to successfully carry out the buy low sell high business model.
Exactly, fully agree.

It’s about planning for the future. We could easily sell Katic for £3-4M, bring in Gibson - rinse and repeat. This is the model, we pretty much universally agree, is the way forward.

Plus the English market loophole is one we should continually be looking to exploit, gives a unique advantage against English clubs (at certain levels).

It could be a case of us putting ourselves in a position where if a favourable bid comes in for one of our CBs then we are in a position to sell with backup already at the club. If we receive no bids or decide not to sell then loan one or two out whilst blooding the next generation.

Smart business imo.

Exactly, fully agree.

It’s about planning for the future. We could easily sell Katic for £3-4M, bring in Gibson - rinse and repeat. This is the model, we pretty much universally agree, is the way forward.

Plus the English market loophole is one we should continually be looking to exploit, gives a unique advantage against English clubs (at certain levels).
Spot on, my current estimate on Katic is 1.5/2 what you’ve mentioned but if he was to go for an amount like that then a 40 or 50% sell on clause should be put on him but that rinse and repeat thing is something we should be doing

What about 19 year old reserve centre half’s already at the club
The club needs to run at a profit and part of that profit model is to bring in players cheaply and sell them on for a lot more money.
This is exactly the kind of player I would expect Ross Wilson to be identifying which not only strengthens our first team squad but increases the asset base knowing that we have got a valuable asset that we can realize at a later date.
Ten Joe Aribo type deals keeps the club running at a healthy profit!!

The other selling point from our perspective is that we have young players who have come to us and are playing European football.
Our players are also getting international call-ups based on club form.
If you are a young player with ambition and you are languishing in a massive Premier league squad and not seeing game time, then you will look at a club like Rangers and think that may well be worth a move to work with Steven Gerrard as well as improving your long term prospects of career progression.

With talk of the extension for Katic, you would imagine that three of our four centre backs next year would be:

Goldson
Katic
Helander

Presumably this kid and Edmundson will slog it out for the fourth choice spot.
Good chance Edmunson May be our first choice CB before too long.

Exactly, fully agree.

I’d value Katic at £7m-8m.

Good chance Edmunson May be our first choice CB before too long.
We really haven't seen anything to suggest this, other than a game at home versus the worst team in the league where he had nothing to do.

Let's see him play against someone first before we proclaim that he's better than the boys currently starting.

You cant stand still in the world of football. We need to constantly be recruiting the best out there if we are to successfully carry out the buy low sell high business model.
Exactly this.
We might not “need” but, if a player becomes available, either better than we have or has potential we can wait for and is affordable, we need to be interested.

Back