Lewis Holtby to leave Hamburg, being linked here

I suppose what you do in other leagues doesn't mean you cant do better here but i would like someone who can score more than 9 goals in his best season in that position. He's a good player but i question if he can bring those extra goals that we need out of that position

Can say I have watched Hamburg regularly enough during Holtby's time to suggest he wouldn't be the best signing for us, nor would many HSV players in all honesty. It's a position we require, although I don't think Holtby is the answer to it.

How many people actually watch Hamburg regularly enough to judge how good he'd be?

Comments already from folk saying he'd be class & others saying he'd be grim. Doubt anyone's saw him enough to be able to form such strong opinions on the lad.

The fact that he's started nearly every game for them this season & captained them on occasion is encouraging enough for me.
I watch Hamburg every week and have done before Holtby signed. Hes inconsistent and isn't the player he could've been when he first showed signs of being a decent player

He looks like the T-1000. That'll do for me.

D2Q-cD5WoAA3lLq.jpg

robert-patrick.jpg

Hopefully he can run like him too. Also stick that extended arm blade thing of his in any opponent that comes near him :))

Just spoke to Hamburg season ticket holder. Says hes definitely leaving but hasnt heard where to. Also described him as a player he thinks is 50/50

It’s only my opinion & on what I’ve seen from him, not assuming anything tbf

He’s extremely inconsistent & seems to only turn it on when interested

Few years ago absolutely

Now I wouldn’t

If I am wrong & he is good then why are Hamburg releasing him?

He was out of contract last summer and they begged him to stay another year. He has, now he’s going. Seems to have been a mainstay (captain) and seen them back up to the top tier.

I haven’t seen a great deal of him for a few years, but name me a number 10 who is consistent.

His stats look good and he played regularly in the Bundesliga.

Can't say I've been overly impressed when I have seen him. That was only a few times in the top division right enough and I haven't seen him in the 2nd tier this season.

For those saying he’s inconsitent etc.

Have you seen what Gerrard has done for some players already? I would trust him to turn Holtby into our most important player.

He's their skipper isnt he?

He is probably leaving because its time for a new challenge and he'd leave a hero if he leads them back to the Bundesliga.

5 goals and 6 assists in the second tier this season.

Think we need better.

For a team at the top end of the league (1pt off top iirc), those stats aren’t great for a player in his position.

He’s prob better than what we currently have but so what. The bench mark should be - is he good enough to help win 55? I’m fücked if I know!

The guy has just turned 28, made it into a German national team, has lost his way a bit with Hamburg wider form and people are saying ram it? This is surely a bit nuts. Although you can see players you peak really early in a career and struggle to hit those highs again, typically through injury or burn out. Boy needs a new challenge

When he got back into the team last season he also scored 5 goals in the last 8 games of the Bundesliga campaign from midfield!! although that didnt stop them getting relegated. I've not really seen him this season

Few years ago absolutely

Now I wouldn’t

They aren't releasing him though are they?

In the games I've seen on bt this season he's done just fine.
Don’t think he’s that much better than arfield to be honest, who should be a squad player next season. People seem to be getting excited by the name here, he’s not the game changer we need to compete for the title

It's easy to be seduced by "country x international"

Celtic had a German International Andreas Hinkel, he was fucken shite.

It isn't always amazing players who play for top sides.

As a Spurs fan I think he'd be a game changer up here. He's the creative midfielder we're crying out for and with a good injury record and age on his side he'd be a phenomenal signing! Please make this happen!

I would defo take him but not sure we would be able to match his expected wages. I have a funny feeling he will end up down south earning a nice wee payday.

Would take him, although admittedly havent seen much of him in recent years.

My worry is people would look at the clubs he has played for and hype him up over the summer to a level he’s never going to meet

Irrespective of whether he’s good or shit, why would he come to Scotland?

It won’t have escaped him surely that the games a bogey here.

Irrespective of whether he’s good or shit, why would he come to Scotland?

It won’t have escaped him surely that the games a bogey here.

Meh I don't know about that - not all players are above Scotland - they still need a wage, playing in front of a big crowd, big stadium etc.

Few years ago absolutely

Now I wouldn’t

Apparently he's been a crucial player this season but is on a big contract and that's why they are not renewing.

I try and watch Hamburg as often as possible (streams ,not in person) and I agree that he hasn't been on top form for most of this season.
On his day though he would stroll into our team and is something we dont really have at present.

he played with defoe at spurs so maybe thats the link to why were interested wouldnt be surprised if defoe is used here to try make the deal happen. not seen him play for years but am sure he would add to the 1st team

like it or not we are playing moneyball here.

We will struggle in a big way to afford and probably attract the ready made players we require to win the league, due to the number and cost of the amount of this type of player we require just now.

We are probably going to need at least two players to replace Alfie next year as the chances of replacing him with one player are going to be slim, finding another player to make his impact is not going to be easy or cheap.
So we will need to box clever and get a team that are better than the sum of it's parts.

Personally I think the stronger the team the better, rather than what we have had this season and struggle to win against garbage when our main man is missing.

We need a squad of 7/10 players with a three or four players who can hit 8,9 or 10/10 on a consistent basis, I don't think there is any point in one or two outstanding players surrounded with dross.

Back