Lewis Holtby to leave Hamburg, being linked here

I liked him at Schalke before he moved to the Premiership. Some good performances for Tottenham in the EPL as well. Says himself that he wasn't given as much of a chance as he would have liked. Not really seen much of him since leaving England.

Left side of the midfield three or left side of midfield in a 4-4-2 (would offer a bit of balance and can tuck in).

He’s the perfect example of a player who has made an absolute killing in the game off of his potential as a youngster, without ever living up to any more than being decent.

He won’t be a massive miss to Hamburg, and I honestly think we need better than a player who has absolutely no hunger for the game anymore. We’ve seen this season, we need more than just ability, we need players with that hunger to win.

He’s the perfect example of a player who has made an absolute killing in the game off of his potential as a youngster, without ever living up to any more than being decent.

He won’t be a massive miss to Hamburg, and I honestly think we need better than a player who has absolutely no hunger for the game anymore. We’ve seen this season, we need more than just ability, we need players with that hunger to win.

Agree - there is a clear player profile that typically works in Scotland, ageing players who have once been at a high level isn't it.

He's lost his hunger and passion?

Agree - there is a clear player profile that typically works in Scotland, ageing players who have once been at a high level isn't it.
No idea what hes like now but he's only 28 I'm sure.

No idea what hes like now but he's only 28 I'm sure.

I don't think it's solely down to age as much as it is historical evidence.

The vast majority of the "best" Rangers players I have seen have all joined us looking to build their career and go on to become better - it has rarely been players who have once played for great teams and on the way back down.

A player does better with us if they are looking to go and become a player rather than having been a player.

It is very rare someone who has played at a high level arrives and then shows that class in the league.

I am not saying that rule should apply to all - but in general terms the player profile that works in Scotland is someone looking up and to go onto things with their career.

Reactions: M@x
I don't think it's solely down to age as much as it is historical evidence.

The vast majority of the "best" Rangers players I have seen have all joined us looking to build their career and go on to become better - it has rarely been players who have once played for great teams and on the way back down.

A player does better with us if they are looking to go and become a player rather than having been a player.

It is very rare someone who has played at a high level arrives and then shows that class in the league.

I am not saying that rule should apply to all - but in general terms the player profile that works in Scotland is someone looking up and to go onto things with their career.
I understand your points mate but at 28 he should be in his prime.

As I said earlier I've no idea what hes like as a player now though.

Last edited:
Good player when I watched him with Spurs, but anytime I've seen him with Hamburg he's been average at best.

I just get the feeling his best days are behind him despite only being 28.

He's not the sparkler everyone seems to think he is.
IMHO, he's bang average and has the tendency
more often than not to have real stinkers of games.
I wouldn't like to see him at Ibrox, I don't think he's good enough.

Agree, he’s absolutely grim these days

I wonder how many championing this move have watched him recently

It’s only my opinion & on what I’ve seen from him, not assuming anything tbf

He’s extremely inconsistent & seems to only turn it on when interested

Few years ago absolutely

Now I wouldn’t

If I am wrong & he is good then why are Hamburg releasing him?

All that’s fair enough

It’s only a speculative opinion anyway on what I’ve seen

Let’s see what happens

:)

How can you go from describing a player being “absolutely grim” which is very matter of fact to it only being a “speculative opinion” in a few posts?

We need a goal scoring midfielder I dont see that in Holtby we need a midfielder who can chip in 15 goals per season...

Just had a bear taxi driver who told me he'd take a punt on "that wee prick Erik something at Spurs". Wow! Some of our supporters just live in fantasy land.

Huge money and I’m not sure his production would be worth the wage outlay.

He’s better than what we have if he plays well but I’m just not sure he’s what we need at the moment.

Admittedly he’s not been great the handful of times I’ve watched HSV on the telly this year,but last season I was surprised how much work he got through off the ball when I watched a live game at the volksparkstadion he was motm that day scoring a last minute winner against Cologne.
Maybe he’s digressed badly this season but if he could regain some of the form from the season before he would be a credible upgrade on Arfield.
There’s always risk involved,got to hope the professionals dealing with recruitment make the right call.

From purely a fans’ perspective I’d be sorely tempted on a free transfer though.

This. I have watched the guy several times and he is an ordinary player. No worse and no better than what we already have.
I'm not doubting your judgement and having not seen him play in years, I couldn't judge for myself but on the face of it...a 28 year old german international whose previous clubs are schalke, tottenham and hamburg...sounds worth the risk to me.

I watched him on youtube for HSV and now convinced he's gash. Then I watched his 2015 season highlights and thought he looked great.
This management malarky must be difficult.

Back