Lewis MacLeod

I have to laugh at some comments on MacLeod saying he only stood out playing against shite.

This is a boy, imo, with far more talent than Middleton, Docherty or McCrorie (three FF favourites) his problem obviously has just been injuries.

If he could get fit I'd have him back.

Well he only stood out vs the absolute dregs of Scottish Football, in a team full of terrible footballer players.

Was he good, Yes, did or has he proven he is good enough at a higher level, No, McCrorie has, Docherty you could debate did at Hamilton, Middleton I have doubts over.

I will be honest, the fact we got so much for him considering the level he was playing at was , ironically considering the board we had at the time, robbery.

Wish the boy all the best, but he is certainly not what we require just now.

He might actually be better coming up to a Killie, Hearts, Aberdeen and trying to kickstart his career.

He has hardly kicked a ball since the turn of the year due to injuries and only made the bench a couple of weeks ago. He's not made the bench this week so he's either injured again or dropped

Injuries have ruined his career. 40 or so games since he left us in 2015.

I have to laugh at some comments on MacLeod saying he only stood out playing against shite.

This is a boy, imo, with far more talent than Middleton, Docherty or McCrorie (three FF favourites) his problem obviously has just been injuries.

If he could get fit I'd have him back.

When was he last fit for a proper period of time? He's clearly got ability but is constantly injured. That's a massive issue.

Imagine current Rangers players being favourites, especially young Middleton who's had a good season.

When was he last fit for a proper period of time? He's clearly got ability but is constantly injured. That's a massive issue.

Imagine current Rangers players being favourites, especially young Middleton who's had a good season.

Massive problem is even if he does get fit, he hasn't had the development he should have had.

43 Games in 5 seasons.

We have played over 60 this season alone.

Massive problem is even if he does get fit, he hasn't had the development he should have had.

43 Games in 5 seasons.

We have played over 60 this season alone.

It would be a pointless and crazy signing. If we are going to sign another CM then he's got to be box office - better than what we already have and ready to contribute, not spend his days on the treatment table.

The boy had talent when he was with us, that was there to see.

What is questionable is his injury record and whether he can stay fit enough to play. I liked him previously but I would only take him on a very small basic, maybe 1k pw with a large appearance fee on a short maybe 1/2 year contract.

I doubt he would want to accept that though and if not then we should move to other targets.

Better player than Docherty, but thats not how to decide on signing players.

Its a no from me, too much of a wage risk & adding someone who probably wouldn't improve us isn't what we should be doing this summer.

I don’t think any of us know. But the boy is just about to turn 25 so has a lot left to give to the game. Injuries the main worry, a trial would be a good idea.

Imagine the meltdown if we signed him up and he had nothing to do with us previously.

Our current first choice centerback is a 26 year old who had played 16 games in total in the previous two seasons... Yes, he had a well documented specific injury, but he was still a punt.

McLeod is 24 with his best years ahead of him. If we could get him in for free and structure his salary such that it's in his interests to be fit and in the squad, then I'd be in favour of giving him a year's contract to show what he can do, with an option on a second year if we like what we see.

Our current first choice centerback is a 26 year old who had played 16 games in total in the previous two seasons... Yes, he had a well documented specific injury, but he was still a punt.

McLeod is 24 with his best years ahead of him. If we could get him in for free and structure his salary such that it's in his interests to be fit and in the squad, then I'd be in favour of giving him a year's contract to show what he can do, with an option on a second year if we like what we see.

MacLeod is 25 (in 2 months) and has been ruined by injury over the last number of years - knee and ankle. He has played a total of 43 game in all competitions since leaving us in 2015.

Barring a serious heart condition, Goldson has barely been injured. He played more football in two seasons with Shrewsbury (2013 - 2015 that's without mentioning the other seasons) than what MacLeod has in 5 years.

This place would go crazy for Andy Carroll and find some stupid excuse for going for him.

Barisic has a history of injuries and look at him, barely fit, Grezda too and they haven't been any where near as injured. Our luck with injuries is horrendous so that's why I would stay well clear.

For those comparing him to Docherty with some saying he's better.

One of fit and plays regularly the other hasn't really kicked a ball since he's left us.

Docherty is 22 and has played 168 games. MacLeod is two years older and has played 112 games.

To put it into perspective, this season Docherty has played 38 games whereas MacLeod has managed about the same since he left us.

There is no room for sentiment we need a fit squad that's capable of winning the league.

He is not the standard of player who can win us a league.
We dont need numbers but quality
Right he's rejected an offer of a new deal at Brentford now Brentford won't play him nothing to do with his ability or injuries.
I can understand Brentford doing this because they stuck by him after all his injury troubles and i believe he can provide a bit of magic and i'd rather we signed him than a Hearts, Hibs type.
A reason i want him to return as he was my favourite player in lower leagues.

Right he's rejected an offer of a new deal at Brentford now Brentford won't play him nothing to do with his ability or injuries.
I can understand Brentford doing this because they stuck by him after all his injury troubles and i believe he can provide a bit of magic and i'd rather we signed him than a Hearts, Hibs type.
A reason i want him to return as he was my favourite player in lower leagues.
i get what you mean, but we need some stars in our team to lift us to a winning cups / leagues situation.
I liked him too.

i get what you mean, but we need some stars in our team to lift us to a winning cups / leagues situation.
I liked him too.
I agree with the money Gerrard will get in summer use it to get real quality additions.
Getting guys like MacLeod and even Stewart on frees is a no brainer and gives us a stronger squad with more options imo.

I agree with the money Gerrard will get in summer use it to get real quality additions.
Getting guys like MacLeod and even Stewart on frees is a no brainer and gives us a stronger squad with more options imo.
Yes, and maybe trim the squad to allow these players to get a game.
Maybe need to be brutal and have a cull of players who wont do it.

Barring his recovery from long term injury he has played 17 games for Brentford this season and chipped in with 3 goals in the Championship, still only 24 I think he is still well worth the punt on a Bosman.

Gerrard won’t even know who he is

No chance of Macleod signing

We need two players in his position so yes on a free and spend most our budget on that magical player that can unlock defences and run football matches.

In order to progress further we need to replace some of the current crop, either by relegating them to the bench or moving them on, with players of a higher quality. Would signing Lewis MacLeod be a step in that direction? I don't think so personally.

I would guess there maybe some who we wouldnt think would have went.
The loans will go which trims it but on the other hand we have some who have been out at other teams for a while.
Their is alot of players there that aren't good enough for us. Your Dodoo's, Holt's, Herrera's etc. They'll be out again either out of contract, let go or loaned again.
We have to prioritise quality in summer with freebies that can give us a strong depth of squad options.
That pedo ring have it.

Aye no bother, keep Rossiter and sign Lewis MacLeod back again, brilliant idea to see around 14k a week go right out the door even though we know they'll both never get a game again due to injuries :oops:

Back