Lewis Mayo, back-up centre-half?

weefree

Age 22 now, contracted to next summer, and played well by some accounts I’ve read at Patrick when played at CH rather than midfield or RB. Cemented starter in Scotland U21s.

Can’t see any point in sending him out on loan again when there’s only a year least, if we don’t want him we should release now.

If we go with Souter & Helander, King & Balogun, I wouldn’t be averse to Mayo being the 5th as cover.

Bassey will be gone, with the money that’s being talked of that’s as good a dead cert as you’ll get, if Helander leaves we’ll buy another, really just a question of that 5th spot. And can’t see big Katic still being here next year.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Souter & Helander will be lucky to play 40 SPL games between going on their previous record we need an experienced CB with King & Balogun acting as back ups.

We have King and Katic probably for that role.

I’d be moving Helander on. Just too injury prone. Souttar can’t really be trusted to play any considerable period of time either tbh.

We need two new starting cbs as a priority

How many minutes is a 5th choice CB getting?

If we go with King for instance next season and despite to pull the trigger on that he needs to be finding 10/15 games with us or it is all a bit pointless

I'd be moving on Helander & Balogun, but i can see Balogun getting another year. Goldson's off and Bassey will likely be sold. That leaves us King & Souttar.

King would be my 1st choice CB and I would be looking for some experience to rotate with Souttar. It's about time we gave these boys a chance.

Don’t think we need a back up centre back, we have a lot of players that can play that position at a good level

What we need is a quality replacement for Goldson that is robust enough to play every week

Age 22 now, contracted to next summer, and played well by some accounts I’ve read at Patrick when played at CH rather than midfield or RB. Cemented starter in Scotland U21s.

Can’t see any point in sending him out on loan again when there’s only a year least, if we don’t want him we should release now.

If we go with Souter & Helander, King & Balogun, I wouldn’t be averse to Mayo being the 5th as cover.

Bassey will be gone, with the money that’s being talked of that’s as good a dead cert as you’ll get, if Helander leaves we’ll buy another, really just a question of that 5th spot. And can’t see big Katic still being here next year.

Opinions?
Anyone else or just me shaking head at this being our centre backs for next year?

Good defenders but 2 injury prone ones

We have King and Katic probably for that role.

I’d be moving Helander on. Just too injury prone. Souttar can’t really be trusted to play any considerable period of time either tbh.

We need two new starting cbs as a priority

Helander and Katic need moved on.

Souttar and King should be 2 of 5 CH’s in the 1st team squad. I’m on the fence with Balogun but it would make sense giving him another year as King gets up to speed.

That leaves 2 positions needing filled (in my opinion).

Goldson we expect to be away and Bassey will probably be sold should a £20M+ land

No. We need signings.

King can be 4th choice, but not alongside Souttar, Helander and Balogun as it puts too much pressure on the lad. Ideally Souttar, King plus two new first choice centre halves for me. If Bassey stays we might be able to get away with one.

Yes I'd be for this. With Souttar and Helander likely to be two of our four main cb options next year, it's not a bad shout to have him around as a 5th option.

Why will Bassey be gone? Because Charlie Nicholas said he's worth £25m?

There is too much talk of interest in him, of course it’s not guaranteed but a player like him, left sided, amazing energy, falls under the english quota etc etc. He ticks a lot of boxes for clubs down south and he has ridiculous potential!!

Who knows…….

I'd be moving on Helander & Balogun, but i can see Balogun getting another year. Goldson's off and Bassey will likely be sold. That leaves us King & Souttar.

King would be my 1st choice CB and I would be looking for some experience to rotate with Souttar. It's about time we gave these boys a chance.

King would be your first choice centre back already?

Based on what ?

He made the Scottish Championship team of the season, but I don't see it happening for him at Rangers now.
I'm sure he'll go on to have a good career at a decent level, but he's short of the quality we need.

Good luck to him though.

For what it's worth, I'm still not convinced yet that King will make it with us either.
Hope I'm wrong with that.

Come on mate, King is nowhere near the level yet to be 1st choice Rangers central defender.

He can't even get in the Scottish U-21 squad yet.

That's just an absolutely ridiculous thing to say.

Come on mate, King is nowhere near the level yet to be 1st choice Rangers central defender.

He hasnt put a foot wrong when called upon. He's more than good enough to play in Scotland.

At his age we either play him or loan him out. It's no use to anyone keeping him on the bench. He needs game time or his development will slow

The amount of pish written about Mayo on here was unreal. Folk having him ahead of Souttar.

Likewise, people saying him and McAusland were ahead of King in terms of making the first team. Just pure fantasy.

He’s nowhere near the level required.

The amount of pish written about Mayo on here was unreal. Folk having him ahead of Souttar.

Likewise, people saying him and McAusland were ahead of King in terms of making the first team. Just pure fantasy.

He’s nowhere near the level required.
Olatunji Akinola next to him in the Partick defence might get more interest than Mayo. They are on par with each other from what I've seen.

Souter & Helander, King & Balogun.

That’s the fear going in with those four for a long season given 3 of their injury history and the inexperience of King.
In an ideal world I'd sell Helander and give Balogun a new contract. Then bring in a new first choice cb or get Goldson a new contract.

Balogun is fine as long as you rotate him. As soon as you play him too much he picks up an injury.

He hasnt put a foot wrong when called upon. He's more than good enough to play in Scotland.

At his age we either play him or loan him out. It's no use to anyone keeping him on the bench. He needs game time or his development will slow

He's not even played in a meaningful 1st team game for us yet.
He played at Tynecastle (admittedly at left back) in a testimonial pace game and was still struggling to cope with both McKay- Steven and Ginelly.

Helander and Balogun are 1st pick central defenders for better international teams than Scotland and even when fit, aren't guaranteed starters for us.
Souttar has established himself in the full Scotland set up too.
King isn't at the level of any of them yet.

How you think he is already good enough to play for the full Scotland team, when he's never even been selected for an U-21 squad and has barely played any 1st team football is baffling.

In an ideal world I'd sell Helander and give Balogun a new contract. Then bring in a new first choice cb or get Goldson a new contract.

Balogun is fine as long as you rotate him. As soon as you play him too much he picks up an injury.
I actually like Helander but it’s been a bit of a poor deal for us with the outlay given how often he’s injured, I’d be happy to move him on also

He won’t make it with us, kings emergence will mean king is fourth choice and I wouldn’t say that Mayo has established himself yet. Would be better for his career if he went out to another club and established himself and maybe in the future if he’s good enough he could come back.

Mayo will not make it with us, he's 4 years older than King and well behind him in our pecking order. Workmate who supports Partick and watched him all season has said he's probably better than their level but miles off our level.
We should be looking for better quality centre halves than Mayo.

Got a mate who's a Thistle fan, says Mayo is head and shoulders above all the other centre halves in the league

Can’t comment on to many other centre halves in the championship but he’s miles off what we need (even as back-up)

He done “ok” for thistle but to put it into perspective, thistle practically finished just above mid-table in the championship.

Souter & Helander, King & Balogun.

That’s the fear going in with those four for a long season given 3 of their injury history and the inexperience of King.

I think we'll offload Helander if we can mate.

Despite what some folk are saying, Goldson leaving isn't 100% yet nailed on, but if he does go, then I think we will sign a 1st pick, top drawer central defender to replace him.

He can’t get in Scotland u21s over Stephen Welsh who is about to be surplus to requirements when they start signing more City academy boys.

Why will Bassey be gone? Because Charlie Nicholas said he's worth £25m?
Have you noticed every time Charlie Nicholas makes a prediction it is completely wrong? He is the worst tipster of all the pundits and that's saying something.

King will be fourth choice next season and rightfully so. He deserves the opportunity and it’s about time we create a pathway. Same with Lowry, he’ll be a back up to the no10 position.

He can’t get in Scotland u21s over Stephen Welsh who is about to be surplus to requirements when they start signing more City academy boys.

Not just Stephen Welsh.
Lewis Mayo was selected ahead of him too.

I think both of them will be too old next season though, so hopefully he should make the squad.

Not just Stephen Welsh.
Lewis Mayo was selected ahead of him too.

I think both of them will be too old next season though, so hopefully he should make the squad.

It means nothing really. The idea that Welsh and Mayo are being picked over him because of ability is nonsense. They're more developed physically right now, that's it.

Ross Perry was a regular fixture for the Scotland 21's. It's not a barometer of quality in any way.

Can't comment on Mayo, but I see King as a definite full time first team member next season.

No3/4 CH depending on quality we bring in.

Genuinely excited to see him take the next step.

I’ve always liked the lad when I’ve seen him play and he’s had another good spell at Partick. I’d have him over Simpson any day but I’m not sure the Simpson role is one that needs replaced. He’s only recently 22 so he’s still young for a center half and there’s still development to come.

He was literally included in the current u21s squad

Back