Lewis Mayo twitter

Katić out for the foreseeable future, Helander has had numerous injuries over the years.

We need another CB option. We either trust Mayo or we enter the market.

Goldson and Edmundson looks like the first choice CB pairing.

I genuinely believe that a thread on central defenders is the best for identifying the folk who’ve never played at any decent level, and even worse those that know fück all about football.

It’s the most difficult position to play at the highest level, and arguably the most technically nuanced.

It’s treated by so many on here as heid it and hoof it. It’s hilarious.

I genuinely believe that a thread on central defenders is the best for identifying the folk who’ve never played at any decent level, and even worse those that know fück all about football.

It’s the most difficult position to play at the highest level, and arguably the most technically nuanced.

Agree up to point. All the top teams have a strong spine running through the team Since start of EPL all Champions have had top central defenders. John Terry, Vincent Kompany and presently Virgil Van Dyck have been leaders and played out from the back, but I think a lot of confidence as a central defender is when you have a top goalkeeper behind you.
I would say central mid the hardest position though as you get least time on he ball to make a decision.

You're spot on mate. You can hide anywhere else on the park, goalkeeper apart, but you try and hide as a central defender and you're in trouble.

Plus these days you need the ball skills of a midfielder and the pace of a winger such is the high line that's played.

Katić out for the foreseeable future, Helander has had numerous injuries over the years.

If Helander isn’t going to be fit, we need experienced cover.
Right now, I wouldn’t be too confident with these two medium term.

Agree up to point. All the top teams have a strong spine running through the team Since start of EPL all Champions have had top central defenders. John Terry, Vincent Kompany and presently Virgil Van Dyck have been leaders and played out from the back, but I think a lot of confidence as a central defender is when you have a top goalkeeper behind you.
I would say central mid the hardest position though as you get least time on he ball to make a decision.
As much as this may be true, you’ll pay a lot more for a top striker.
There is a reason for that.

I don't think Edmondson will be first choice. In fact I would have seen him out on loan had it not been for Katic injury. I think we'll sign another centre back who will go on as 3rd and we will see Edmondson or probably Mayo out on loan.

Helander & Goldson are terrifyingly slow.
If we press with a high backline we are going to be really vulnerable to the ball over the top (the ball 99% of SPFL use).
Ed at least has pace, I don't know a lot about Lewis Mayo, can anyone say if he's quick ?

If we press with a high backline we are going to be really vulnerable to the ball over the top (the ball 99% of SPFL use).
Ed at least has pace, I don't know a lot about Lewis Mayo, can anyone say if he's quick ?

We have a terrific record with them playing mate.

Always judge players by their potential in Football Manager so keep thinking Mayo will be no good lol please prove me wrong kid!!!

Mayo is slow mate

Goldson is considerably quicker than Katic.

Edmundson and Mayo are the quickest though.

I'd imagine Bassey is rapid.

"I genuinely believe that a thread on central defenders is the best for identifying the folk who’ve never played at any decent level, and even worse those that know fück all about football".

And you can now explain to us why you know better!!

He looks to have filled out a bit in the last year. Pity he didn’t get to finish the season with Thistle as that would have been good experience. Distribution is generally good and he is staunch.

You're spot on mate. You can hide anywhere else on the park, goalkeeper apart, but you try and hide as a central defender and you're in trouble.

Plus these days you need the ball skills of a midfielder and the pace of a winger such is the high line that's played.

He is very decent with the ball at his feet, he played infront of the defence against Wrexham (I think) and controlled the game.

Back