Lies again re Barcelona 1972

1974, mate. Interestingly, the Barcelona founder was also a Protestant.

I was in Barcelona in 1972 and just happened to be in Calella on holiday in 1974 when Rangers took part in this tournament. I decided not to bother going for some inexplicable reason that I still dont undetstand. One of life's regrets.

To compete in their prestigious "Joan Gamper pre-season tournament".

I believe it was the first time an invite for such was extended to a non-Spanish team (although, I prepare to stand corrected on that).

Im sure Ajax were one of the four teams taking part.

The Evening Tims is hating that the audience for FF and Heart and Hand continues to grow and monetise while their audiences dwindle and lose advertisers.
This is a clip of the 1972 European champions final between W Germany and USSR in the Heysal stadium.
I don’t have the skills to edit the clip which lasts for 2 mins 30 seconds
The Germans were winning the game 3-0 and the last 30 seconds shows numerous German fans on the park before the final whistle.The pitch was cleared and the game finished with thousands of celebrating standing on all four touch lines whilst the was finished.They invaded, perhaps I should say encroached as they were German, on the final whistle. As the game was policed by the Belgium police there was no brutal assaults on the celebrating fans and hence no riot
This happened after Barcelona and am guessing the vast majority of those on the board will never have seen pictures of this let alone heard of it

Don’t be triggered by pish like this. This bird inviting photos and stories is inviting trouble.
The lies that they peddle are just that, lies. This is from a fanbase who would still deny that their club was involved in active paedophilia. That’s all we need to know what we are dealing with.
This is from a club who believe they were formed on a charitable basis.
Deluded fuckers. Don’t be sucked in by the bullshit.

Think of Julian Clary trying to land a punch on Tyson Fury. That's how likely it is that Rangers will take issue with them.

Rangers agreed to a replay of their famous European Cup-Winners Cup triumph 45 years ago after a pitch invasion, according to sensational new claims from Dynamo Moscow legend Anatoly Baidachny.
The Ibrox side lifted the 1972 trophy and became legends when they beat the Russian dark horses in Barcelona.
However, the 3-2 victory was marred by a mass pitch invasion and battles with the Spanish police leading to captain John Greig getting the trophy presented to him inside the Nou Camp.

The Russians protested about the pitch invasion to UEFA and demanded a replay of the Final, but the result stood after an enquiry, although Rangers were banned from European competition for two years, later reduced to one year.

But almost 45 years later to the day of the Final, Dynamo legend Baidachny, now 64, has claimed that Rangers accepted responsibility for the trouble, in an interview in a Russian publication.And they even agreed to play a replay of the game in Rome.

Baidachny, who later went on to manage Belarus and Dinamo Minsk, said: "We proposed a replay of the game, on October 3, 1972, in Rome."And the Scots agreed to it because they were going to lose a lot of money with their European ban.But as usual politics prevailed. UEFA couldn't be seen to let the Russians win.

"Everyone remembers what happened after the game, but people forget the Rangers fans invaded the pitch five times. They invaded the pitch for the first time at 1-0. Their fans all had mad eyes, it was a scary sight. They tried to set fire to the stadium. They fought with the police and there was casualties.

"When they ran onto the park at the end of the match, they tried to rip the shirts of us. I just ran until I got back to the dressing room.You have to remember back then everything was against the Russians. Our 'supporters' amounted to eight people from the Soviet Trade Company in the entire stadium, which was full of Scots. Our people were not allowed abroad.

One of our players, Aleksandr Makhovikov, was absolutely taken out by a Rangers player on the wing. No whistle. From that, Rangers went up and scored.We went home and no one came to meet us. We were forgotten. If you lost in the old Soviet Union you were regarded as an enemy of the people.

We did get some small financial reward for reaching the Final. It was enough to buy me a Grundig tape recorder."

Quotes are useless without the source.

Don’t be triggered by pish like this. This bird inviting photos and stories is inviting trouble.
The lies that they peddle are just that, lies. This is from a fanbase who would still deny that their club was involved in active paedophilia. That’s all we need to know what we are dealing with.
This is from a club who believe they were formed on a charitable basis.
Deluded fuckers. Don’t be sucked in by the bullshit.

I started the thread with a similar viewpoint but I have to say she seems ok. Ive had a bit of e mail correspondence from her and she's agreed to remove the 'errors'.

She's going to do a follow up article on the experience of fans in Barca and it looks like it will be positive.

She told me she has some good material from our supporters though some, including me, have been "shouting at her".

Im feeling a bit guilty now.

Got a nice reply. Seems Ann really doesnt understand the damage such articles do.

I got a reply saying she was just taking copies of clips from old newspapers which the reporters were reporting then that there were running battles in the streets prior to and after the game . Still trying to put us in a bad light and brazenly lying . I didn't witness anything near to their accusations.,there was no reference to this in her reply .
This highlights the state of journalism in our society , all they are doing is printing lies and in this case ,openly inviting a response . The fifty year anniversary is on the horizon and this is the start of them attempting to degrade it. As one previous poster said , they don't even hide it now

This is a clip of the 1972 European champions final between W Germany and USSR in the Heysal stadium.
I don’t have the skills to edit the clip which lasts for 2 mins 30 seconds
The Germans were winning the game 3-0 and the last 30 seconds shows numerous German fans on the park before the final whistle.The pitch was cleared and the game finished with thousands of celebrating standing on all four touch lines whilst the was finished.They invaded, perhaps I should say encroached as they were German, on the final whistle. As the game was policed by the Belgium police there was no brutal assaults on the celebrating fans and hence no riot
This happened after Barcelona and am guessing the vast majority of those on the board will never have seen pictures of this let alone heard of it
This is the game I always think of when it comes to pitch invasions. The long and short of it is that it was commonplace with the only variable being how the police responded.

The crash barriers have really ramped up this "game wasn't finished" patter since they were awarded the title last season. Almost as if they are trying to deflect from something that was not actually won.
Precisely what they are trying to do. Scum.

I got a reply saying she was just taking copies of clips from old newspapers which the reporters were reporting then that there were running battles in the streets prior to and after the game . Still trying to put us in a bad light and brazenly lying . I didn't witness anything near to their accusations.,there was no reference to this in her reply .
This highlights the state of journalism in our society , all they are doing is printing lies and in this case ,openly inviting a response . The fifty year anniversary is on the horizon and this is the start of them attempting to degrade it. As one previous poster said , they don't even hide it now
You’ll start to see the narrative being peddled the nearer we get to the anniversary, that it was the clubs fault the disaster happened, and the club didn’t do enough to protect the support etc. They will go as far as saying that he club actually meant for it to happen.

This is the type of vile and disgusting people we are dealing with, and there’s quite a few well known terrorist sympathising cunts on twitter and the like, a few well known ones who peddle this lie.

The game was played, I remember it like 4 mins extra felt like an hour,
Waddell said he would replay them, just a bit of sportsmanship

UEFA state that the Soviet team scored their second goal after 87 minutes - and we played for several minutes after that.

"Calling a Mr. David Graham, calling Mr. Graham. If you can hear this can you please return to your post, immediately".

tbh, if there's nothing from him regarding this -- pointing out the truth and referring to all the eye-witness accounts there -- then some pretty serious questions need to be asked.

I think its aimed at the general public rather than us. Its designed to demonise our fans and undermine our european triumph. They dont care if we read it or not. That's not the point of propaganda.

The Natzis didnt care if the Jews heard or read their propaganda.
Exactly mate. They're pushing us into a corner not just for football reasons, also political ones.

Your comment about nazi propaganda is absolutely spot on. These newspapers have now became the scottish govts civil service.

The bitter anti British Jacobite Mhedia will be telling us next England did not win the World Cup in 1966 ' .......there' s some people on the pitch they think it is all over...it is now!' no doubt according to their warped history recollection of 54 years ago that game was never played to a finish either. Stupid hacks!

Hi Ann,
Truly astonished to read the article in the Glasgow Evening Times about the events of Barcelona back on May 1972.
It was much more akin to the kind of revision I'd expect from a Celtic fanzine. Not a Publication like the Evening Times. A once highly respected newspaper.

Rangers fans did NOT riot on the streets of Barcelona. They came onto the 'pitch' in celebration of the result at the final whistle. No different to other supporters in previous finals, including Celtic. The Police under instructions from President Franco the Fascist dictator ordered the police to baton charge the Rangers fans.

They done so on a further two occasions before the Rangers support responded in kind and done what no other would dare do with the brutal stormtroopers. They charged back and gave them a taste of their own medicine.

To also claim the match was not played to a finish is a blatant untruth.

This nonsense is another recent lie that has been spread by the Celtic support in response to taunts about the club being handed last seasons League title thanks to a rigged vote.
The full match is available to view on YouTube and the full 90 minutes were played.

At the very least I'd expect a full retraction and to set the record straight.

Incidentally, Rangers were invited back the follow year by Barcelona to take part in the clubs centenary celebrations.

It pours scorn on the utter nonsense that has been permitted to be passed off as truth by those with an axe to grind against Rangers.

Yours in Sport.

Rangers agreed to a replay of their famous European Cup-Winners Cup triumph 45 years ago after a pitch invasion, according to sensational new claims from Dynamo Moscow legend Anatoly Baidachny.
The Ibrox side lifted the 1972 trophy and became legends when they beat the Russian dark horses in Barcelona.
However, the 3-2 victory was marred by a mass pitch invasion and battles with the Spanish police leading to captain John Greig getting the trophy presented to him inside the Nou Camp.

The Russians protested about the pitch invasion to UEFA and demanded a replay of the Final, but the result stood after an enquiry, although Rangers were banned from European competition for two years, later reduced to one year.

But almost 45 years later to the day of the Final, Dynamo legend Baidachny, now 64, has claimed that Rangers accepted responsibility for the trouble, in an interview in a Russian publication.And they even agreed to play a replay of the game in Rome.

Baidachny, who later went on to manage Belarus and Dinamo Minsk, said: "We proposed a replay of the game, on October 3, 1972, in Rome."And the Scots agreed to it because they were going to lose a lot of money with their European ban.But as usual politics prevailed. UEFA couldn't be seen to let the Russians win.

"Everyone remembers what happened after the game, but people forget the Rangers fans invaded the pitch five times. They invaded the pitch for the first time at 1-0. Their fans all had mad eyes, it was a scary sight. They tried to set fire to the stadium. They fought with the police and there was casualties.

"When they ran onto the park at the end of the match, they tried to rip the shirts of us. I just ran until I got back to the dressing room.You have to remember back then everything was against the Russians. Our 'supporters' amounted to eight people from the Soviet Trade Company in the entire stadium, which was full of Scots. Our people were not allowed abroad.

One of our players, Aleksandr Makhovikov, was absolutely taken out by a Rangers player on the wing. No whistle. From that, Rangers went up and scored.We went home and no one came to meet us. We were forgotten. If you lost in the old Soviet Union you were regarded as an enemy of the people.

We did get some small financial reward for reaching the Final. It was enough to buy me a Grundig tape recorder."
Aye, of course we did. And I’ve just been asked out on a date by Scarlett Johansson.

Hi Ann,
Truly astonished to read the article in the Glasgow Evening Times about the events of Barcelona back on May 1972.
It was much more akin to the kind of revision I'd expect from a Celtic fanzine. Not a Publication like the Evening Times. A once highly respected newspaper.

Rangers fans did NOT riot on the streets of Barcelona. They came onto the 'pitch' in celebration of the result at the final whistle. No different to other supporters in previous finals, including Celtic. The Police under instructions from President Franco the Fascist dictator ordered the police to baton charge the Rangers fans.

They done so on a further two occasions before the Rangers support responded in kind and done what no other would dare do with the brutal stormtroopers. They charged back and gave them a taste of their own medicine.

To also claim the match was not played to a finish is a blatant untruth.

This nonsense is another recent lie that has been spread by the Celtic support in response to taunts about the club being handed last seasons League title thanks to a rigged vote.
The full match is available to view on YouTube and the full 90 minutes were played.

At the very least I'd expect a full retraction and to set the record straight.

Incidentally, Rangers were invited back the follow year by Barcelona to take part in the clubs centenary celebrations.

It pours scorn on the utter nonsense that has been permitted to be passed off as truth by those with an axe to grind against Rangers.

Yours in Sport.
Anyone who has ever done the Camp Nou stadium tour will have seen the photograph of the Rangers fans on the pitch defending themselves against the baton wielding Guarda (not so)Civil in the directors area within the stadium
Hardly the actions of a club or community which had been savaged by a marauding horde

I have sent an email to give her my memories of that trip
So did I last night. Told her that the Police were heavy handed trying to remove the fans from the park despite it just being premature celebrations as they thought the final whistle has gone. Also mentioned there was no trouble outside the ground or in Barcelona city centre.

The way this cesspit is heading in regard to our club, it shouldn't be too long till we're reading about 'The riot of Aberdeen sparked by Butcher header'.

Back