Lille reportedly offer €20 million

Where's all the people saying "we should accept 12m and get it over with noones going to bid 16m again? Our board fucked this up, etc etc.."

For the record I would rather keep him

At the expense of strengthening the squad overall?

Where’s the sense in that?

I agree he needs a chance but my worry is Gerrard doesn’t fancy him already he brought on Defoe who hasn’t kicked a ball for months barring a cameo vs Imps and is unfit and Itten is match fit!
I’d have thought yesterday would be a good opportunity for him as we were bound to create chances in the box. Alfredos goal was brilliant but he is absolutely not the player he was for some reason. Folk think he is a selfish striker and he is when in shooting range but he used to do a massive amount of work off the ball and it’s just not there now.

If he wants away should accept the 20mil and move on with strengthening the first team.

If he wants to stay - and he would need to be clear he does - then that's a different decision - can we use the 20mil better elsewhere than a fit and hungry Morelos?

We have done fine, yes.

Our most fluent football was the part of the United game before he was assaulted imo.

I think it’s time to sell him but I find it disturbing that we want to re write history. All of our best football under Gerrard has been when Morelos has been on form & leading the line.

Him going is hopefully good for the club, I support that, but let’s see what you & others are saying when we play the scum in October without him.

Glad that you can call me out on it.
It's funny how the narrarive changes week by week Grigo, isn't it? 9 months ago, Alfie was the best thing since sliced bread, a month ago he was a waster who needed punted and now he is the best thing since sliced bread again. The truth is, Morelos has probably been our best player (and if not the best pretty close to it) for the majority of his time with us. He is going to be a big loss to our team, if he goes.

Like you Grigo, I am at the point where I think the time is probably right for Morelos to move on. Not because I am fed up with the circus that surrounds him (I dont really care much about that - most of it is just noise that doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things) but because I think we are at the stage where using part of the fee we receive for him to further re-shape the squad might give us the best chance of winning the league. We need to improve, as a minimum, the midfield and, joining the dots, it looks like we probably need to sell someone before we can buy. Selling Morelos isn't without risk; it only turns out to be a good move if we re-invest part of the cash and improve the team.

Personally, I don't think Roofe (who, from what I have seen, I like as a player) or Itten (early days of course, but I don't think it is unreasonable to at least be a little bit twitchy at the moment about that signing), either separately or together, will prove to be as good as Morelos. That's fine, I don't have a problem with that so long as the sum of the parts (including a new midfielder or two) is better. But it might not be - we might go and buy a midfielder who turns out to be a pig in a poke and, before we know it, our starting centre forward isn't as good as Morelos and our midfield isn't improved. But them's the breaks. No point in us worrying about what the downside is. Far better to be positive and back the hope that Wilson and Gerrard can in fact take £6m or whatever from the sale of Alfie and buy a player or two who improves the midfield.

Assuming he goes, I'll be sorry to see Alfie go and will remember him fondly as a player who contributed a lot to us. If others want to ignore what he has done for us on the pitch and instead remember him as some sort of trouble making malcontent, that is up to them.

At the expense of strengthening the squad overall?

Where’s the sense in that?
@RfcIbrox

We brought in hagi - apparently he's pish now

we brought in itten - apparently he's shite and Defoe is a more favourable option

We brought in roofe - apparently he's not up to match fitness injury a concern etc

It's easy to say selling Morelos will strengthen the squad but it actually happening is another , the one thing I can say with absolute certainty is we aren't replacing Morelos at his best for 20 million in his first season and selling him would undoubtedly downgrade our strikers quality.

Not read the full thread but if the story is coming from the Colombian media then I would be reluctant to believe it. These accounts have been popping up on twitter every other week with the latest on Morelos and nothing seems to happen.

I agree he needs a chance but my worry is Gerrard doesn’t fancy him already he brought on Defoe who hasn’t kicked a ball for months barring a cameo vs Imps and is unfit and Itten is match fit!

Defoe is the man you would go to when you need a goal.

I actually think Itten looks pretty decent but he’s just back from Injury as well.

The manager will need to play him after spending 3 million on him.

It's funny how the narrarive changes week by week Grigo, isn't it? 9 months ago, Alfie was the best thing since sliced bread, a month ago he was a waster who needed punted and now he is the best thing since sliced bread again. The truth is, Morelos has probably been our best player (and if not the best pretty close to it) for the majority of his time with us. He is going to be a big loss to our team, if he goes.

Like you Grigo, I am at the point where I think the time is probably right for Morelos to move on. Not because I am fed up with the circus that surrounds him (I dont really care much about that - most of it is just noise that doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things) but because I think we are at the stage where using part of the fee we receive for him to further re-shape the squad might give us the best chance of winning the league. We need to improve, as a minimum, the midfield and, joining the dots, it looks like we probably need to sell someone before we can buy. Selling Morelos isn't without risk; it only turns out to be a good move if we re-invest part of the cash and improve the team.

Personally, I don't think Roofe (who, from what I have seen, I like as a player) or Itten (early days of course, but I don't think it is unreasonable to at least be a little bit twitchy at the moment about that signing), either separately or together, will prove to be as good as Morelos. That's fine, I don't have a problem with that so long as the sum of the parts (including a new midfielder or two) is better. But it might not be - we might go and buy a midfielder who turns out to be a pig in a poke and, before we know it, our starting centre forward isn't as good as Morelos and our midfield isn't improved. But them's the breaks. No point in us worrying about what the downside is. Far better to be positive and back the hope that Wilson and Gerrard can in fact take £6m or whatever from the sale of Alfie and buy a player or two who improves the midfield.

Assuming he goes, I'll be sorry to see Alfie go and will remember him fondly as a player who contributed a lot to us. If others want to ignore what he has done for us on the pitch and instead remember him as some sort of trouble making malcontent, that is up to them.

Great post Ald, and exactly where my mind is.

We are missing some power & cut & thrust as a squad, so if Alfredo’s sale allows us to rectify it, then it’s best for our club.

He’s got us two EL Group runs, and if 20m euro is true he will financially have been our most successful player in our history by far, and I’ll wish the boy, warts and all, best wishes in his career.

Ive consistently rated him & supported him, but this is the time I think, so let’s use the money wisely if this is true & get our rightful place back as a club.

It’s been a long wait;)

This pish again ? Was the usual line rolled out? " deal should be done by Friday " don't know how many times it is now he's been leaving for the last few months and yet he's still here.

I honestly don’t think we could replace Alfie for £18m he is a truly special talent.
I am a fan of Roofe and Defoe and I think Itten will come good, but Alfie offers more, far more than those 3 even combined.
Yes a massive profit, but at what cost elsewhere? Sit down with Alfie and his agent this week and say stay this season, help us win the league, become a club legend and move with the clubs thanks and goodwill next summer.
Avoid the red cards and a bigger club than Lille will come in for him

See no matter who the goals are against , he’s score 5 goals and 2 assist in 7 , he’s averaging 93 mins a goal then throw in his 2 assist , I’d imagine other leagues around the world have played qualifiers etc yet you’ll not find many better stats than that , even the scum played 2 diddy teams in the qualifiers and his stats are better than there supposed superstar

Now you mention them, hasn’t their new striker scored in every game he’s played in so far, or close to it anyway?

Your claim is just a sound bite tbh

Not having a go mate and in the main I agree with you on this, but you do like a good scrap about all of this morelos stuff.

If we get the money we have to take it, if we want good additions. We wont be able to make up the kind of money needed by getting shot of fringe players.

Players come and go from every club, no matter how big they are, so it's time we done the same. I absolutely refuse to believe that the league will be gone if he leaves.

I’ll be honest, I don’t intentionally get involved in back and forth debates with people but I feel there’s a lot of wild shouts when it comes to Morelos

For a guy that hasn’t won a trophy with us, some try and claim without him we won’t win the league etc.

I’m genuinely taken aback that you can look at that squad and not think we need money for another 3/4/5 players.

Mind-boggling take on things.
Keep him, and go buy those players we need as well.

Well worth pushing the boat out this season, and not having a biscuit tin mentality like the scum. If they sell Edouard, which they will due to missing CL, they are f**ked.

I honestly don’t think we could replace Alfie for £18m he is a truly special talent.
I am a fan of Roofe and Defoe and I think Itten will come good, but Alfie offers more, far more than those 3 even combined.
Yes a massive profit, but at what cost elsewhere? Sit down with Alfie and his agent this week and say stay this season, help us win the league, become a club legend and move with the clubs thanks and goodwill next summer.
Avoid the red cards and a bigger club than Lille will come in for him

Agree with your main point, but he’s not going to be ALLOWED to Play in this country.

Look at that attack last week, where it wasn’t even given AS A FOUL :mad:

Well worth pushing the boat out this season, and not having a biscuit tin mentality like the scum. If they sell Edouard, which they will due to missing CL, they are f**ked.

And where are we getting the money from to buy another 3-5 players if we don’t sell Morelos?

Our business model is build on buying low and selling high. If we get in the region of £20m then we should sell. We will need some to be kept to balance the books but we should still have enough money and time to get two quality , possibly 3 players in.

If it's true, he needs to go. It's as simple as that. Look at how much of an impact having injuries to Roofe, Jack and Aribo has had on the strength of our starting 11 and options on the bench.

We will 100% add another striker if Alfie goes. Hopefully along with an attacking mid and a more defensive minded centre mid.

The asking price is 20 m so I’d reject it
I'd take it.

Failure to do do means an unhappy player, reduces our chances of strengthening key areas of the team and also helps our finances in this climate.

If we can get 20m sterling then great, but I'm not bothered about squabbling for £1m, with the potential of losing out on a deal altogether.

Quite simply, he has to be sold.

Do you actually believe that?

Why’s that?Who will replace his goals?The floor is yours before you go screaming?Why you so urgent to sell him?

No player at our club is irreplaceable and if he leaves he leaves. The money will be invested in strengthening a midfield badly in need and another Striker would be brought in. MUCH BETTER players than Morelos have left our club and we have survived, we will again.

Sorry Robert but I am sure Hagi scored against Braga which if I am correct was ( last season )

not being a wido mate but he was hear in January so he is from the same team that failed last season
You were blaming the board I am just pointing out they have spent money this year, we have also paid out ( I assume ) lucrative contacts for other players
I think we need to sell to get the ' headline ' signing

You have to believe our setup is a professional one and we’ll already have several targets in mind, both for the midfield and attack, if he goes.

If this is accurate and they really have bid over £18m for him, I don’t think we should turn it down.

No player at our club is irreplaceable and if he leaves he leaves. The money will be invested in strengthening a midfield badly in need and another Striker would be brought in. MUCH BETTER players than Morelos have left our club and we have survived, we will again.
I’m not saying that at all.We need a midfielder without a doubt but who will score the goals we need to win the important matches we have coming up?Itten?Defoe?Roofe?All had been or are injured.

We need to strengthen the team as a whole rather than relying on one man to be on his A game every week which if we're being honest with ourselves just isn't going to happen.

Morelos is going.I rather he went now and allowed us to finish our recruitment before the window closes
He been treated like shit by SFA ,refs and the press
But he has brought some of of it on himself,although maybe only about 15/20 per cent blame on him
1.3 mill to 18.3 mill is a great return
Good luck Buff

Alfie has been good for us and we have been good for Alfie. Neither party owes any debt to the other. I agree with what you say about his treatment by the authorities and the Scottish media. I know I'll get stick for this, but I wish we had bought Dykes.

Back on planet Earth though, we both know that’s not how it’s going to work.

Why’s that?Who will replace his goals?The floor is yours before you go screaming?Why you so urgent to sell him?

He's not looked himself for 9 months.
He wants to leave.
He was dropped for poor application.

We also need to fix other glaring issues and a big fee for a player that wants to leave will help us do that.

Before the break I’d have been happy with this

Now I don’t think we can afford to sell him if we want to seriously challenge for the title

Back