Lille reportedly offer €20 million

If we sell Alfie we need to invest the guts of the money on another striker and a midfielder with a bit of bite. I'd rather keep him but we need someone in the mould of Jack/Davis/Kamara only better and those don't come cheap.

If we say we want £20m and literally no-one is offering to pay that then he is not worth £20m.

A player is only worth an amount if you have a buyer willing to match that. The market dictates that.

If we do finally manage to get someone to pay £20m then fair enough but right not that is not happening.

If £18m is on the table we must take it - or risk his value plummet by the next window etc. We are in no position to turn away £18m for one of our players ffs.

If we say we want £20m and literally no-one is offering to pay that then he is not worth £20m.

A player is only worth an amount if you have a buyer willing to match that. The market dictates that.

If we do finally manage to get someone to pay £20m then fair enough but right not that is not happening.

If £18m is on the table we must take it - or risk his value plummet by the next window etc. We are in no position to turn away £18m for one of our players ffs.
If stalling over 2 million which then knock ons to not being able to sign at least 2 of the three supposed other targets then it’s inappropriate management by the board

Eh? Thats absolutely not even close to how it works. If you value your house at £300k and the only offer you get is £200k you dont just take it and say, ahh well its only worth what someone was willing to pay.

Frankly weve spent £10M so far and none of the players have seriously impressed. We could just as easily sell Morelos and waste the money while weakening the squad.

For the record, I've no problem selling Morelos for the right price. Throwing him out the door under value just so you can sign a bloke from Preston - in the most overpriced market in football - isn't my idea of shrewd business

If stalling over 2 million which then knock ons to not being able to sign at least 2 of the three supposed other targets then it’s inappropriate management by the board
Agreed. If we only have one buyer and the absolute max they will go to is £18m then the board simply have to accept that offer and conclude the deal.

I just want this done and dusted ASAP so we can all move on and we can get players in.

The Sun saying Lille will come back in with a final £18m “take it or leave it“ offer.

I’d accept that.

Leave it. Hes worth more to us than a crap bid like that. £18M gets you the players we signed this summer and money in the bank. A poor return for a 30+ goal a season striker. One day people will learn that the market has moved on from 20yrs ago

If he’s their main target now, they won’t walk away from deal for a million.

We’ll meet half way, I’d imagine.

Eh? Thats absolutely not even close to how it works. If you value your house at £300k and the only offer you get is £200k you dont just take it and say, ahh well its only worth what someone was willing to pay.

Frankly weve spent £10M so far and none of the players have seriously impressed. We could just as easily sell Morelos and waste the money while weakening the squad.

For the record, I've no problem selling Morelos for the right price. Throwing him out the door under value just so you can sign a bloke from Preston - in the most overpriced market in football - isn't my idea of shrewd business
What if no-one is prepared to pay the value you put on your house? You can't just hang around forever.

£18m is huge for us. We cannot turn that down if it is the only offer on the table.

What if no-one is prepared to pay the value you put on your house? You can't just hang around forever.

£18m is huge for us. We cannot turn that down if it is the only offer on the table.
Depends how desperate you are to sell your house i suppose.
If you're happy to stay there for a while, thinking someone will want to pay the right price at some point, you don't sell under your own valuation.

If it’s an £18M bid structured as £18M in payments and not £18M dependant in performance add on’s then I’m happy for him to go. He wants the move and he has continued to play at the start of this season professionally.

We need to use that money to get a creative midfielder and a proper ball winning midfielder who will terrify opposition teams.

Debatable if we actually need another striker because I think Roofe will be excellent for us if he can shake off the injury. Big gamble and big decisions to be made there

£18m is huge for us. We cannot turn that down if it is on the table.

Yeah you can mate. If no one pays it, then we go the season with a £20M player in the squad. Id be far more comfortable with that than what I've seen from Roofe - injured already as was predicted by a few - and Itten. Defoe is 1 bad injury away from retirement. Before you say, yeah we can bring another striker in, we'll thats another gamble again and one we absolutely couldn't afford to lose.

If you listen to Gerrard its pretty clear he wants him to stay, hes not just saying that for nothing. Its because he knows how hard it would be to replace him. He also knows he probably won't get anywhere near all of the money to spend

Leave it. Hes worth more to us than a crap bid like that. £18M gets you the players we signed this summer and money in the bank. A poor return for a 30+ goal a season striker. One day people will learn that the market has moved on from 20yrs ago
You really think we will get more than £18m/£20m for Alfie? Also, I’m well aware the marker has moved on from 20 years ago hence why we can ask for prices like £20m for our better players.

Depends how desperate you are to sell your house i suppose.
If you're happy to stay there for a while, thinking someone will want to pay the right price at some point, you don't sell under your own valuation.
Need to sell the house to use the proceeds to buy additional properties. That's what we have to be looking at here.

No way are the club turning down £18m.

You really think we will get more than £18m/£20m for Alfie? Also, I’m well aware the marker has moved on from 20 years ago hence why we can ask for prices like £20m for our better players.

The latter wasn't a dig at you mate. It was more a comment on how excited people get over these kinds of offers.

I do mate, I also think we need to stick to our values. If we think he's a £20M player, he needs to be treated like one. By that I mean, he cant just be shoved out of the door at the first offer - an asset of that calibre should be sold because someone has forced us to with an offer that can't be refused. Not sold at a discount because someone flashed a bit of cash at us.

I also reiterate an earlier point I made. Gerrard clearly doesn't want him to go. To me there is only 2 reasons for that. One is he doesnt think he can replace him, the other is he knows he won't get much of the sale money to replace him. Neither option makes me feel comfortable

Need to sell the house to use the proceeds to buy additional properties. That's what we have to be looking at here.

No way are the club turning down £18m.
I'd take it too. I'd rather have 3 good players for the money. Morelos is exceptionally good, but that's a bit pointless if our midfield isn't strong enough to maintain a title challenge. We've scored plenty and played well without him recently.

The latter wasn't a dig at you mate. It was more a comment on how excited people get over these kinds of offers.

I do mate, I also think we need to stick to our values. If we think he's a £20M player, he needs to be treated like one. By that I mean, he cant just be shoved out of the door at the first offer - an asset of that calibre should be sold because someone has forced us to with an offer that can't be refused. Not sold at a discount because someone flashed a bit of cash at us.

I also reiterate an earlier point I made. Gerrard clearly doesn't want him to go. To me there is only 2 reasons for that. One is he doesnt think he can replace him, the other is he knows he won't get much of the sale money to replace him. Neither option makes me feel comfortable
Gerrards not going to say publicly he wants him to go.

Gerrards not going to say publicly he wants him to go.

True mate, but neither does he have to say things like - only Alfie can decide if he stays or not. He also said he would be delighted to keep all of his strikers. If he wanted him gone, he only needed to say something like - we will see what happens with him etc. Instead he put the ball in Alfies court and publicly let him know he would be more than welcome to stay.

Fwiw I think he will be gone. I think we will get £20M from someone before the window shuts

Final point on this. What if Gerrard has already spent all the money he was getting for Alfie? What if the board kept the £18M? Would the ones wanting to sell him be comfortable with that? Genuine question, im not meaning to come across snide. There is a chance that the money hes spent was to be repaid at least in part, through player sales. The board are under no obligation to continue to fund transfers on season tickets alone

Ah the good old FF tradition of arguing with someone over something they didn’t actually say.
You said he's guaranteed to get us 25 goals, something he's never done.
And I wasn't exactly arguing, I was merely replying to you're post with my own opinion.

Final point on this. What if Gerrard has already spent all the money he was getting for Alfie? What if the board kept the £18M? Would the ones wanting to sell him be comfortable with that? Genuine question, im not meaning to come across snide. There is a chance that the money hes spent was to be repaid at least in part, through player sales. The board are under no obligation to continue to fund transfers on season tickets alone
If that happens mate the board have handed Celtic the league.

Your right in terms of spending but in saying that while we may not have managed to topple Celtic to any silverware yet we finally have a team capable of playing consistently well in European competition for both of Gerrard's seasons in charge so far. The cold hard facts here are that this brings in way more money than can be made from winning any of the domestic trophy's and from a business point of view the board will be delighted. Not only that it allows us to gradually build the squad to a level that gives us a better chance domestically as well.

I think if we drop out of Europe on Thursday we will accept the £18m for Morelos. If we go through we then have one more final round to play next week and are in the exact same situation again another week closer to the window

Your right in terms of spending but in saying that while we may not have managed to topple Celtic to any silverware yet we finally have a team capable of playing consistently well in European competition for both of Gerrard's seasons in charge so far. The cold hard facts here are that this brings in way more money than can be made from winning any of the domestic trophy's and from a business point of view the board will be delighted. Not only that it allows us to gradually build the squad to a level that gives us a better chance domestically as well.

I think if we drop out of Europe on Thursday we will accept the £18m for Morelos. If we go through we then have one more final round to play next week and are in the exact same situation again another week closer to the window

You are correct mate. I think thats the reality of it. We have had 2 great runs in Europe and still run at a loss - this years accounts pending of course.

Thats why I'm wary of selling him. It wouldnt be outrageous for the board to say, "well we are out of europe and youve already spent £10M, we cant afford anymore major fees" in which case we would - in terms of squad strength alone - be better keeping him. The financial of the situation will be outwith our control as supporters. Thats why I'm hesitant just to expect him out the door, in order to strengthen - its not that I dont understand the logic of selling to strengthen elsewhere

Can’t believe people think Roofe and Itten were Morelos replacements for if/when he leaves, was always pretty clear to me they were signed regardless of Morelos. When he’s sold there’ll be another signing and it’ll probably increase the quality of midfielder we will sign as well.

At least I hope so!

Back