Lille reportedly offer €20 million

If he keeps playing the way he is just now he will go on transfer deadline day with 2 or 3 clubs chasing for his signature and we'll get what we want for him. He is our biggest asset in our squad and its time the whole Morelos saga is brought to an end and we move on.
The problem with that is, strengthening our squad is more important than ever right now. Waiting til transfer deadline day and then not getting in re-inforcements we desperately need is suicide.

If he keeps playing the way he is just now he will go on transfer deadline day with 2 or 3 clubs chasing for his signature and we'll get what we want for him. He is our biggest asset in our squad and its time the whole Morelos saga is brought to an end and we move on.

If we sell him on deadline day without anyone coming in, then it’s a disgrace.

That's exactly my point why are we buying three forward players if we are waiting on the sale of another to balance the books???

It's not to balance the books though. Alfie sale will be additional revenue and added to our transfer pot. We are probably already maxed out on our budget as it stands with what we have paid on buying Hagi, Roofe and Itten.

BTW those saying we should use the money for goal scoring midfielders...we don't play a formation that encourages midfielders to get forward. Jack, Davis and Kamara will be main stays the rest of the season.
Maybe we can't play a formation to encourage midfielders to get forward as our midfielders couldn't hit a coos arse with a banjo.
If we dont break that Jack, Davis.and Kamara monopoly, we are unlikely to be strong enough to grab the end of season prizes. We need change.

It's not to balance the books though. Alfie sale will be additional revenue and added to our transfer pot. We are probably already maxed out on our budget as it stands with what we have paid on buying Hagi, Roofe and Itten.

What I find strange is why we added Itten on top of Roofe then have been unable to bring in the midfielder we desperately need and want until Alfie is sold.

Wouldn’t it have made more sense to add the midfielder in the initial purchases then left Itten’s recruitment dependent on Morelos leaving?

What I find strange is why we added Itten on top of Roofe then have been unable to bring in the midfielder we desperately need and want until Alfie is sold.

Wouldn’t it have made more sense to add the midfielder in the initial purchases then left Itten’s recruitment dependent on Morelos leaving?

I think we plan to use Roofe as a 10. If Morelos goes we will bring in another striker.

Itten is a project. Will take time to settle but has good potential.

We will bring a midfielder in. We have probably been waiting on the English transfer Market picking up again and seeing what becomes available for us down there. There's a lot of movement in the EPL now and players are becoming available.

I think we plan to use Roofe as a 10. If Morelos goes we will bring in another striker.

We will bring a midfielder in. We have probably been waiting on the English transfer Market picking up again and seeing what becomes available for us down there. There's a lot of movement in the EPL now and players are becoming available.

Thing is, if Morelos stays then the quality of that midfielder looks compromised, e.g. the Daniel Johnson rumour.

If Itten cost £3m then surely that money would have been better served towards a better calibre of midfielder within our original budget?

Itten as a project player is a luxury we don’t really need right now.

In the games Roofe has played in the striker role, dropping deep to link up either left or right of the box and then getting into the 6 yard box when the time is right. He has also played with Barker, Kent and Hagi all playing 10 roles. Therefore he wont be used in the same way they are at all and in my eyes isnt seen as a 10 at all.

Thing is, if Morelos stays then the quality of that midfielder looks compromised, e.g. the Daniel Johnson rumour.

If Itten cost £3m then surely that money would have been better served towards a better calibre of midfielder within our original budget?

Itten as a project player is a luxury we don’t really need right now.
You could have argued Morelos was a project player. Every player for us will be a project in one way or another due to the model we need to operate under.

If I'm expected to believe these dubious reports that Lille are coming back in with an increased offer -
Then I hope they employ a financial adviser who is actually aware of the fact the U.K. does not use the Euro & is also aware of the latest currency exchange rates

Is it? Pretty sure at the end of last season we were clamouring for players to take the burden off Alfie, more creative attacking players (Hagi, Roofe) and a more physical option up front (Itten)

Then the priority behind that was a central midfielder - the hysteria around central midfield has only really ramped up since we brought those players in and our two best midfielders (Jack and Aribo) have picked up injuries.

Gerrard has said he wants someone in the engine room, and if he brings that player in (alongside Balogun and McLaughlin, two players who provide cover and possibly a first team option, Bassey, who looks an excellent prospect and Patterson being promoted to the first team.) I think most people would have been happy with that at the start of the window.

If Jack and Aribo were fit and on form, the narrative would be more "We need one more central midfielder to really complete the squad" rather than "ineptitude from the board" etc.

There is a clamour for wingers, but we don't play with wingers. The wingers on our books - in my opinion - were only here because Halliday and Flanagan (as cover for Barisic and Tavernier) would operate like defensive full backs, instead of wingbacks, so we needed traditional wingers to give us width if there was an injury to Tav or Borna.

Now we have players who can perform the same role as cover, we have no need for traditional wingers, and that's why they're all leaving the club.

We will buy a midfielder before the window closes regardless of whether Alfie leaves or not.I suspect the quality of that midfielder does depend on Alfie leaving or us qualifying for Europe and we're holding off as long as possible to figure that out (which I agree is a dangerous tactic) and if Alfie does leave, I suspect the board will sanction some money for a replacement - after they keep half of fee for running costs.
At last a bit of common sense. I think you are spot on

Depends.

I'd imagine we're holding out for 20m sterling as HJK are owed a percentage of the sale, so could take our profit down to 18m. That would be acceptable imo.

However, what if it's 18m euro (so 16.5m sterling) and we still have to pay HJK 1-2m of the sell-on. That would take our profit down to 14m sterling. And is this being paid up front?

People who think we should just accept the deal need to think this through.

Telling people to think it through whilst speculating about the numbers involved.

Think about that.

You could have argued Morelos was a project player. Every player for us will be a project in one way or another due to the model we need to operate under.

The point is we added two attackers but left the recruitment of the midfielder we, and indeed the manager, all agree is needed dependent on the sale of Morelos.

In terms of strategy it’s highly questionable.

The point is we added two attackers but left the recruitment of the midfielder we, and indeed the manager, all agree is needed dependent on the sale of Morelos.

In terms of strategy it’s highly questionable.
We dont know the structure of either deal. For instance Itten could have been a deal more skewed towards installments therefore less up front cash required. Whereas our midfield targets parent clubs may be looking for more up front.

If we are relying on a windfall for Morelos then that is utterly inept from the club. The fact we brought in two strikers makes it even worse.

It's the equivalent of spending your coupon winnings before it's up.

If the club had sold Morelos without another striker lined up they would be slated also. Its been a tough window tbf.

Is it? Pretty sure at the end of last season we were clamouring for players to take the burden off Alfie, more creative attacking players (Hagi, Roofe) and a more physical option up front (Itten)

Then the priority behind that was a central midfielder - the hysteria around central midfield has only really ramped up since we brought those players in and our two best midfielders (Jack and Aribo) have picked up injuries.

Gerrard has said he wants someone in the engine room, and if he brings that player in (alongside Balogun and McLaughlin, two players who provide cover and possibly a first team option, Bassey, who looks an excellent prospect and Patterson being promoted to the first team.) I think most people would have been happy with that at the start of the window.

If Jack and Aribo were fit and on form, the narrative would be more "We need one more central midfielder to really complete the squad" rather than "ineptitude from the board" etc.

There is a clamour for wingers, but we don't play with wingers. The wingers on our books - in my opinion - were only here because Halliday and Flanagan (as cover for Barisic and Tavernier) would operate like defensive full backs, instead of wingbacks, so we needed traditional wingers to give us width if there was an injury to Tav or Borna.

Now we have players who can perform the same role as cover, we have no need for traditional wingers, and that's why they're all leaving the club.

We will buy a midfielder before the window closes regardless of whether Alfie leaves or not.I suspect the quality of that midfielder does depend on Alfie leaving or us qualifying for Europe and we're holding off as long as possible to figure that out (which I agree is a dangerous tactic) and if Alfie does leave, I suspect the board will sanction some money for a replacement - after they keep half of fee for running costs.

I concur what your saying about formations.

Remember when SG introduced Katic sub in CF position?
What I've seen of Bassey, I'd love it if we confused the fck out of opposition
by having Tav & Calvin in ostensibly the DM role for a game (instead of Davo
& Jacko), but actually playing BTB midfield (Patterson & Borna trad RB/LB)
then switch back to DM role 10 mins later :p :oops: :))

How does anybody even no this. Why get annoyed just because someone is making up a story

Fair point mate. One thing I'm happy about in recent years is that the club have really tightened up info getting leaked out regarding transfers etc. So many guessing about what's needed for transfers etc.

Secretly I'm hoping we keep Morelos and still sign a cracking midfield player or two. Would be the first time in years we have strong competition in all areas of the pitch.

If I'm expected to believe these dubious reports that Lille are coming back in with an increased offer -
Then I hope they employ a financial adviser who is actually aware of the fact the U.K. does not use the Euro & is also aware of the latest currency exchange rates
[/QUOTE/]
Do you work on Wall Street?

We've already spent the guts of 10m on Hagi, Roofe and Itten. How much do you expect the club to spend? We have been running at huge losses in recent seasons that have been plugged by the investors at the club.

It's why Alfie's sale is key, as the squad needs strengthened further. Look at some of our bench options after injuries to Barker, Roofe, Aribo and Jack.
We need two center mid’s who take no shit. Winners who dominate the team and there own direct opposition.

With everything that is going on, it would be utter madness and totally irresponsible to turn away £18m for one of our players. The board will know this is the case, hence why if it is on the table it will be taken.

The risk on missing out on £18m in the current climate could very well put our club in serious financial trouble. We will deal at that price - if it is offered.

With everything that is going on, it would be utter madness and totally irresponsible to turn away £18m for one of our players. The board will know this is the case, hence why if it is on the table it will be taken.

The risk on missing out on £18m in the current climate could very well put our club in serious financial trouble. We will deal at that price - if it is offered.
Ah wouldnt take 20 million for Kent he’s irreplaceable.
Morelos can go and we can replace him
People are needing to take the blue specs of he’s been terrible since last December.

He scored 1
Do you think he played well?
He’s a shadow of the player we had up to last december.
Sorry midweek and one at the weekend. This myth that he’s been crap is boring. He’s not scored which is his main job, correct, but if that’s your logic then much of the squad fall in to the same category, at least up until the start of this season.

Sorry midweek and one at the weekend. This myth that he’s been crap is boring. He’s not scored which is his main job, correct, but if that’s your logic then much of the squad fall in to the same category, at least up until the start of this season.

His all round play has been terrible,doesn’t bully defenders anymore doesn’t link up,shootings off.
It’s not boring mate it’s the truth.
The 2 games he’s started we’ve dropped points.

We are a better team with Roofe.

Nobody with any sense could argue a word of that.

His all round play has been terrible,doesn’t bully defenders anymore doesn’t link up,shootings off.
It’s not boring mate it’s the truth.
The 2 games he’s started we’ve dropped points.

We are a better team with Roofe.
That’s brutal. Did we drop the points because of him? You’re moaning that his shootings off and he doesn’t bully defenders, but neither has Roofe, Morelos has scored more than Roofe has, he has also assisted more than Roofe has. The notion that we dropped points because of Morelos is absolutely ridiculous.

That’s brutal. Did we drop the points because of him? You’re moaning that his shootings off and he doesn’t bully defenders, but neither has Roofe, Morelos has scored more than Roofe has, he has also assisted more than Roofe has. The notion that we dropped points because of Morelos is absolutely ridiculous.
I was just saying we’ve dropped points the 2 games he’s started definetly wasnt all down to him.
Last years Morelos would have pissed that game easily.
This years put it this way I’m not confident in any game he starts now.

Gramps is losing his objectivity here mate :))

Didn't Morelos start at Pittodrie & set up Kent for starters ?

i'm not convinced he has it in him to not react, he will get yellow and red cards solely by his reaction to the inevitable heel rakes, provocation, elbows, foot stamps, noise ups

as well as his card being marked by referees, players will be sent out to ensure he reacts

we need to sell this window

i'm not convinced he has it in him to not react, he will get yellow and red cards solely by his reaction to the inevitable heel rakes, provocation, elbows, foot stamps, noise ups

as well as his card being marked by referees, players will be sent out to ensure he reacts

we need to sell this window

I don’t disagree with that, but his yellow at the weekend was typical of the way the cards are stacked against him in Scotland.

It was blatant obstruction, but rather than give a free kick to us on the edge of the box with only seconds remaining, the ref waves play on then books Morelos for dissent when he dared to complain about it.

If it had been any other player I doubt that would have happened.

We can say that he should have learned to keep his mouth shut by now, but as you say that’s just not the type of player he is.

As a result, yes, more yellows, reds and suspensions look inevitable if he stays.

Back