Lineup against Standard Leige

Deekw72

Official Ticketer
Whats our thoughts on the starting XI then? My team after the weekends victory would be this:

Shagger

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Borna

Jack
Kamara
Aribo

Hagi
Morelos
Kent

Can see Arfield, Davis and Barker dropping out and rested for the weekends game against Livi. Aribo swapped for Davis possibly if he isn’t fit enough is only one can see changing from there.

Harsh on Arfield being dropped but he has played a lot of football recently, and the team does need rotation.

Not that it will happen but I think hagi could do a job playing deeper in Europe, big part of our 3 attackers games is work rate and off the ball work doesn’t bring out the best in him. I think playing deeper he would receive the ball more often instead of constant pressing

Mcgregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Kamara
Jack
Davis

Barker
Kent
Morelos

Davis to then drop out for Aribo against Livi.

McGregor

Tav CG Fil Borna

Arfield Davis Kamara

Hagi Kent

Alfie.

I wouldn’t be against Jack coming in, normally I’d be advocating it but I feel it’s not required from a playing point.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he did come in to give one of the midfield a rest, regardless we should have enough quality.

Last edited:
Hagi for barker then the rest stay as they were on Saturday.

Jack, Barker, Aribo, Itten all brought on at some point. Roofe maybe also?

Reactions: TQ3
I agree Hagi will come in for Barker

The only other change I'd possibly make is Jack for Davis but as said above, if Davis plays then he should be rested on Sunday

Ideally Aribo will get 30 minutes or so with a view to starting him on Sunday, even if he just plays an hour to build his match fitness back up

Thursday -

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic
Davis Kamara Arfield
Barker Morelos Kent

Sunday -

McGregor
Tav Goldson Balogun Bassey
Kamara Aribo
Roofe Hagi Kent
Morelos/Itten

We've achieved our target of the group stages.

Livingston is the most important game.

500k for a win in the groups mate.

We have the quality now to go full strength on thursday and change it up for livi, hagi, aribo, itten ect are more than capable of coming in and still beating livi no problem.

We should be trying to compete and win on both levels. Money, attracting top players is what europe brings. Its massive.

Squad rotation is going to be vital over the next couple of months playing Thursday/Sunday.. I trust SG and his staff to rotate as and when they see fit..

I’d go with
McGregor
Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barisic
Arfield
Jack
Kamara
Hagi
kent
Morelos

Davis can’t continue to play so much, he’s going to burn out like last season. Gets him some rest and hagi comes in because he’s a superior player than barker.

I wouldn't be against using McLaughlin in the EL this season.

McGregor is our undoubted number 1 but if JM is the man to replace him in the future then the more big games under his belt the better.

Shagger has been over the course many times before and still maintains that sharpness when brought in for the league.

He will play Davis and give him a rest on Sunday imo.

(if it was up to me it would be the other way around)

Whats our thoughts on the starting XI then? My team after the weekends victory would be this:

Shagger

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Borna

Jack
Kamara
Aribo

Hagi
Morelos
Kent

Can see Arfield, Davis and Barker dropping out and rested for the weekends game against Livi. Aribo swapped for Davis possibly if he isn’t fit enough is only one can see changing from there.

Harsh on Arfield being dropped but he has played a lot of football recently, and the team does need rotation.

Seriously doubt that Aribo will be fit enough to start, but it's all guesswork until we get the press conference.

Wouldn’t be against changes for Thursday, Europe I know helps us financially & to keep building but the bigger game is on Sunday for me.

Our record in the league after EL games has been fine.

Making wholesale changes would be a bit silly, and isn't required at this stage.

It may be ok at the moment. The impact of injury in 4 months might however become an issue. Jack, Davis and possibly aribo are examples of this. Wholesale changes - defo not. This team needs tav, Kent, goldson and a few others. 3/4 changes I would say is reasonable.

We play our strongest side, I don't think we'll see many changes if any.

I don't know much about Standard Leige, but if we're expecting our usual hit on the break style I expect Barker to play again for that supposed burst of pace – if we expect to be in control, Hagi in for Barker.

I think Davis will start and drop out for Jack against Livingston.

Aribo will get a bit of game time with a view to starting against Livingston.

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Barisic

Jack
Kamara
Arfield

Hagi
Kent
Itten

Rest McGregor, Helander and Davis - McLaughlin can do a job in goal, Balogun is a very good centre back and Jack can come in for Davis. We need them all fit for the league.

I can’t see Morelos being dropped in a million years. He is still the number one striker at the club and wants to play every game, especially European games.

Not sure Aribo is fit enough to start such an important game. Ease him back in.
Only way he gets fit is to play....and we need him fit for league duty. Our best player (for me) so get him back in for 60 mins on Thursday is what I say.

Back