Hagi Kent
Morelos

Sunday;

McLaughlin
Tav Balogun Helander Barisic
Kamara Arfield
Jones Roofe Kent
Morelos

Yes, Europe is important. We're not some two bob diddy club. Although sometimes you wouldn't think so the way some of our fans seem to hate us playing in Europe.
I don’t hate us playing in Europe but to be honest I am more focused on Sunday than Thursday

Thursday;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic
Jack Davis Kamara
Hagi Kent
Morelos

Sunday;

McLaughlin
Tav Balogun Helander Barisic
Kamara Arfield
Jones Roofe Kent
Morelos
I would flip the teams to be honest mate but either way they won’t be very different come kick off

It’s a difficult one to call, we could make 4 or 5 changes without compromising quality but I expect he will go very strong then make a few changes at the weekend

Hagi or Jones will start. Would be great if Aribo and Roofe get the last half hour

Only way he gets fit is to play....and we need him fit for league duty. Our best player (for me) so get him back in for 60 mins on Thursday is what I say.

Easiest way to injure a player coming back after a long lay off is to put too many minutes into them too quickly.

Perfect recipe for a strain or pull.

Easing him back in with maybe 30 minutes is a safer option mate.

I'd drop Morelos tbh. His hold up play and passing on Saturday was poor. His main attribute at the moment is hassling defenders but really we need more than that against European opposition. I'd give big Cedric a chance as our target man with Borna, Tav, Kent and Hagi all firing in the ammo for him to get on the end of.

Pretty confident Aribo will be on the bench for this one He’s not had any football for weeks.

This the type of game that will suit Davis.

Thursday:
Mcgregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Kamara
Jack
Davis

Hagi
Kent
Morelos

Sunday:
McGlaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Balogun
Barisic

Kamara
Jack
Arfield

Barker/Jones
Kent
Morelos

Thursday:
Mcgregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Kamara
Jack
Davis

Hagi
Kent
Morelos

Sunday:
McGlaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Balogun
Barisic

Kamara
Jack
Arfield

Barker/Jones
Kent
Morelos

I think Hagi will start on Sunday.

Livingston will defend deep and in numbers, so there will be no space for Barker or Jones to exploit with their pace.

Hagi and Arfield's craft, guile and movement off the ball could be the way to open them up.

I would flip the teams to be honest mate but either way they won’t be very different come kick off
We should be able to take care of Livi at home with that team mate was my thinking. I want at worst a draw in Belgium and a win in the league.

Same team as Saturday but Hagi in for Barker?

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes on Sunday after 2 hard games for the current starting 11. Itten, Aribo, Balogun and Jack all in against Livi i'd imagine.

Think there will be a couple of changes due to fitness and fixture congestion. Hagi will be in, maybe Jones too.

We should be able to take care of Livi at home with that team mate was my thinking. I want at worst a draw in Belgium and a win in the league.
If we come back without any issues either through injury or Covid then I will be happy

Sunday will see the usual eleven men behind the ball tactic from Livingston, so I suspect the players we usually rely on for their pace on the counter (Barker, Jones etc) won't feature.

I think Hagi will play on both Thursday and Sunday.
Davis will play one or the other, most likely Thursday.
Jack will be back in on Thursday, likely at the expense of Arfield who will come back in on Sunday.

Aribo will get 30 on Thursday, and hopefully slightly longer on Sunday. Similar for Roofe, although more likely to see more of him on Sunday.

Id hope at some point over the next few weeks Helander, Davis, Arfield and Barasic all get a rest

would also be good to see Aribo, Itten and eventually Roofe and Zungu get some game time

How this happens though is totally up to Gerrard.

Yeah, really fucking weird. Probably same people that will wonder why we can't spend any money when we aren't in Europe.
I think this year can be classed as ( different ) standard are still waiting to see if they are impacted by Covid

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Helander Barisic
Jack Arfield Kamara
Hagi Morelos Kent

More what I would go with as opposed to what I think will happen. I don’t want to burn Davis out this season. Aribo to get at least half an hour too.

I'd drop Morelos tbh. His hold up play and passing on Saturday was poor. His main attribute at the moment is hassling defenders but really we need more than that against European opposition. I'd give big Cedric a chance as our target man with Borna, Tav, Kent and Hagi all firing in the ammo for him to get on the end of.

Alfie has saved his best performances for Europe - If he was to drop out for Itten in any game I would imagine it will be Sunday.

I think this year can be classed as ( different ) standard are still waiting to see if they are impacted by Covid

It's just frustrating the amount of people that simply don't understand economics in football. Europe is far more important than winning a league or Scottish cup at the moment. We are still building, we need funds from Europe. We would never have signed Kent for example without European football.

It's just frustrating the amount of people that simply don't understand economics in football. Europe is far more important than winning a league or Scottish cup at the moment. We are still building, we need funds from Europe. We would never have signed Kent for example without European football.
Continental players will be more attracted to competing against decent European opposition rather than Livy and the sorts also.

Especially these days we have a squad good enough to campaign on these two fronts, we will (and should) use it when appropriate.

Thursday -

McGregor
Davis Kamara Arfield
Barker Morelos Kent

Sunday -

McGregor
Tav Goldson Balogun Bassey
Kamara Aribo
Roofe Hagi Kent
Morelos/Itten
Bassey isn’t starting ahead of Borna in a league game unless he’s injured.

Just chuck the European games. Playing qualifiers each year and adding games to already long long seasons is what its all about.

I would start
Balogun for Helander
Bassey for Barisic
Jack for Davis
Hagi for Barker
Itten for Morelos

Then give Aribo and Roofe (if fit) 30 minutes in 2nd half.

Play a good but counter attacking team on Thursday, we are away from home in Europe and SL will come out to play us.
Play a fresh hungry team ready to battle Livi and break down their 11 man defense on Sunday. Rest Davis for Sunday and bring in Jack. Keep Barker in the first 11, but a give Hagi a bit of game time so he is sharp for Sunday.
I would go for
Thursday;

McGregor/McLaughlin
Jack Arfield Kamara
Barker Kent
Morelos

Sunday;

McGregor
Kamara Davis
Hagi Arfield Kent
Morelos

Hopefully Roofe and Airbo will get some game time as well over the next to games to aid their recovery.

I wouldn't be against using McLaughlin in the EL this season.

McGregor is our undoubted number 1 but if JM is the man to replace him in the future then the more big games under his belt the better.

Shagger has been over the course many times before and still maintains that sharpness when brought in for the league.
Agreed,on Thursday I'd go with:

McLaughlin
Tav Goldson Helander Barasic
Davis Kamara
Hagi
Jones Itten Kent

Jack,Aribo,Morelos,Bassey and Roofe hopefully able to come on if all goes well.

Then on Sunday Shagger,Balogun,Jack,Arfield and Morelos all able to start again, should all go well.

Davis is probably the player in most need of a rest, but we’ll be better placed to do that when Zungu is available. I’d only bring in Hagi for Barker and Jack for Arfield and then make more changes for Sunday - Itten, Aribo, Arfield could start that game.

Mcgregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Jack
Kamara
Arfield

Hagi
Kent

Morelos

I think itten deserves a run of games in the league starting next Sunday.

Whats our thoughts on the starting XI then? My team after the weekends victory would be this:

Shagger

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Borna

Jack
Kamara
Aribo

Hagi
Morelos
Kent

Can see Arfield, Davis and Barker dropping out and rested for the weekends game against Livi. Aribo swapped for Davis possibly if he isn’t fit enough is only one can see changing from there.

Harsh on Arfield being dropped but he has played a lot of football recently, and the team does need rotation.
Decent looking line up hopefully see Roofe come off the bench also

We have enough of a squad should be aiming for 3 points Thursday and getting 3 points at HOME to Livingston (it’s not on their pathetic pitch). We can make 3 subs on Thursday and 5 on Sunday , can make changes once’s the job is done Sunday or change it if need be Thursday also

Too early for Aribo, 60 mins against livi will be better, I’d start the same XI as Saturday but swap Hagi for Barker, this is where Hagi shows his best.

Do people forget how much we've tired and collapsed post Christmas the last 2 years. Rotation and resting players is necessary, so it doesn't happen 3 years running. We can't keep playing the same team for weeks on end, it catches up with us.

Mcgregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Jack
Kamara
Arfield

Hagi
Kent

Morelos

I think itten deserves a run of games in the league starting next Sunday.
Agree on Itten.

Three consecutive weeks in Europa now, play Alfie in these & Itten in the league.

I am hoping Roofe is available and will see him get some minutes from the bench.
It’s a shame Jones was not picked and in hindsight this was an error, he would have been ideal for Thursday.

Last edited:
Sunday's game is the perfect game to hand Aribo his first start since returning from injury, we'll need his flair and creativity against the bus they'll come to park.

Thursday we'll need everyone at full fitness, this won't be an easy game.

Barker and Davis to drop for Jones and Jack from Saturday for me.

Back