Lineup against Standard Leige

I would start
Balogun for Helander
Bassey for Barisic
Jack for Davis
Hagi for Barker
Itten for Morelos

Then give Aribo and Roofe (if fit) 30 minutes in 2nd half.

Too many changes. Should only be 2, 3 max.

For me Jack and Hagi play on Thursday.

Itten to play from the start on Sunday with maybe Aribo getting a run out.

Play a good but counter attacking team on Thursday, we are away from home in Europe and SL will come out to play us.
Play a fresh hungry team ready to battle Livi and break down their 11 man defense on Sunday. Rest Davis for Sunday and bring in Jack. Keep Barker in the first 11, but a give Hagi a bit of game time so he is sharp for Sunday.
I would go for
Thursday;

McGregor/McLaughlin
Tav Goldson Helander Barisic
Jack Arfield Kamara
Barker Kent
Morelos

Sunday;

McGregor
Kamara Davis
Hagi Arfield Kent
Morelos

Hopefully Roofe and Airbo will get some game time as well over the next to games to aid their recovery.
You've nailed it mate.

Hagi in for Barker and apart from that I’d go the same again assuming everyone is fit. Then we can make a couple of changes for the weekend. No need for 4 or 5 changes unless it’s forced.

I wouldn't be against using McLaughlin in the EL this season.

McGregor is our undoubted number 1 but if JM is the man to replace him in the future then the more big games under his belt the better.

Shagger has been over the course many times before and still maintains that sharpness when brought in for the league.
I would play McGregor on Thursday as we will come under more pressure from liege and concentration will be vital and rest him on Sunday as it's a plastic pitch at Livingston . McLaughlin seems to be better with ball at his feet and good for starting attacks from the back which will be needed on Sunday.

I’d play Davis on Thursday but give him a rest on Sunday.

Hagi should be a starter for Thursday imo, played in the Belgian league maybe knows the league better than others, same with Roofe who I’d imagine will be a substitute.

Jack & Hagi in for Davis & Barker for me!

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barisic

Jack
Kamara

Hagi
Arfield
Kent

Morelos
This would be my team too, give Davis a rest and get Hagi back in for his passing ability in the final third.

I would like to get Aribo 60 minutes and some European experience would also probably rest Davis and Arfield so Aribo and Jack in for them and Hagi for Barker would do me.

McGregor; Tav, Goldson, Helander, Borna; Kamara, Davis, Arfield; Hagi, Kent; Morelos

Can't see him making many changes tbh.

Possibly Hagi for Barker.

Davis will probably only play either Thursday or Sunday.

Sunday will see the usual eleven men behind the ball tactic from Livingston, so I suspect the players we usually rely on for their pace on the counter (Barker, Jones etc) won't feature.

I think Hagi will play on both Thursday and Sunday.
Davis will play one or the other, most likely Thursday.
Jack will be back in on Thursday, likely at the expense of Arfield who will come back in on Sunday.

Aribo will get 30 on Thursday, and hopefully slightly longer on Sunday. Similar for Roofe, although more likely to see more of him on Sunday.
Similar to how I see it.
Davo should play Thursday and be rested Sunday.
I’d also bring in Hagi for Barker.
Aribo off the bench for 30 mins all being well.
Jack in May be an option but I think that would be a mistake.
I think Davis/kamara/ Arfield is our strongest midfield right now so I’d start with that.

If it were me I'd go something like this:

Standard Liege:

McGregor
Arfield Davis Kamara
Hagi Morelos Kent

Livingston:

McGregor
Tav Goldson Balogun Bassey
Jack Arfield
Aribo Hagi Kent
Itten

Only change I would make is Hagi for Barker.

Balogun and Jack to start at the weekend, maybe Bassey and Itten depending on whether or not we are going to rotate the squad a bit more.

Would like to see some rotation in the squad for euro games. We have the depth now that we can make changes and still remain competitive. Players like Kamara, Davis, Helander , Barsic, Tav, Goldson and Kent are absolutely vital and should be used sensibly when possible.

I would bench Helander and Davis and Barisic for Thursday. As boring as it sounds, a convincing win against Livingston at home is the priority, as it is vital we build on our previous win and send a clear ,message that we will not capitulate this season.

The persistence with Morelos is a little alarming.

Despite what some on here want to believe, he’s been distinctly ordinary this season. Having spent circa £7m adding options to our strike force, are we really saying that neither of those are better alternatives to the out of sorts Colombian?

I appreciate both Roofe and Itten have been injured, but the latter came on on Saturday so I’d be tempted to start him in place of Alfie if it’s too soon for Roofe.

Morelos is a shadow of the player he was this time last year, yet he still seems to be trading off that purple patch.

Time to see what life without Alfie looks like.

I reckon we will probably see itten start on Sunday to give Morelos a rest. Depending on how much game time they get on Thursday hopefully see aribo and roofe make some kind of appearance on the Sunday as well.

Would like to see some rotation in the squad for euro games. We have the depth now that we can make changes and still remain competitive. Players like Kamara, Davis, Helander , Barsic, Tav, Goldson and Kent are absolutely vital and should be used sensibly when possible.

I would bench Helander and Davis and Barisic for Thursday. As boring as it sounds, a convincing win against Livingston at home is the priority, as it is vital we build on our previous win and send a clear ,message that we will not capitulate this season.

I think Davis and Helander are more likely to play Thursday than Sunday.

We'll be doing a lot more defending against Liege than Livi, so Helander will be needed, plus Davis's experience in controlling possession away in Europe will be crucial.

The squad needs utilised.

While you can throw out the stat about our rather good record after Euro games, we’ve collapsed both mentally and physically for two years in a row after a hectic opening half of the season.

We need to be clever, we can’t rag the players in the same way for a third year in a row - especially when there’s no need given the squad we now have.

We'll be doing a lot more defending against Liege than Livi, so Helander will be needed, plus Davis's experience in controlling possession away in Europe will be crucial.

Spot on.

Don't see many changes to Saturday's team outwith maybe Hagi coming in for Barker.

Jack, Aribo, Balogun, Itten and possibly Roofe all into the team for Livi to freshen things up.

I'd definitely replace Barker and Davis with Hagi and Jack and possibly Arfield with Aribo if Arfield needs rested and Aribo is fit enough

Same team, but if we are cruising then Davis, Kamara and Kent all come off by the 60th minute

This will be a harder game than Saturday.
I suspect that this will be a much better coached organised and motivated team than The Filth.
I also note that Bruges beat our old pals in St Petersburg tonight.

Whats our thoughts on the starting XI then? My team after the weekends victory would be this:

Shagger

Tav
Goldson
Helander
Borna

Jack
Kamara
Aribo

Hagi
Morelos
Kent

Can see Arfield, Davis and Barker dropping out and rested for the weekends game against Livi. Aribo swapped for Davis possibly if he isn’t fit enough is only one can see changing from there.

Harsh on Arfield being dropped but he has played a lot of football recently, and the team does need rotation.
Id keep it the same in all honesty - maybe swap out Barker for Jones/Hagi - unsure if Aribo is fit enough

There's money at stake for a win, it might come in handy!
If changes are needed, then 3 players max. Try and bring on players who need game time with 20-30 minutes left.

I take your point, I just really want to avoid leggy, stuffy performances in the league and have our best players as fresh as we can. Obviously there are limits to who and how many can be rested etc. because we still want to do well in Europe.

Livi at home sounds routine but we need to further take wind out of celtic' sails by putting in hopefully a competitive performance in Europe and then a convincing win on Sunday in the league to keep pressure on them.

I'd go with this against Leige;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Helander Borna
Jack Davis Kamara
Hagi Kent
Morelos​

And this against Livingston;

McLaughlin
Tav Goldson Balogun Borna
Arfield Jack Aribo
Hagi Kent
Morelos​

So glad we rested McGregor on Saturday, he should be well up for Thursday.:p
I would play the same team as Saturday, only swapping Hagi for Barker. Then sub Davis/Kent around the hour mark, if we are winning. Maybe give Balogun an appearance, for either CB to get a break.

I think the only change on thursday will be Hagi for Barker, maybe Itten in for Alfie but I think that is unlikely.

Sunday will probably bring more changes.

Does anyone think the COVID results from Standard Liege will effect Gerrards team selection?

Back