Linfield v Floriana & Coleraine v Motherwell

There has been a disasterous result more or less each season for one - or more - of the Scottish European representatives since the mid 90s or so.

Aberdeen tend to lead the way having lost to shite from as varied places as Skonto Riga and Bohemians as I recall as well as recent ones to teams from Kazakhstan.

Kilmarnock losing to a Welsh team after winning the away leg was risible, as was Hearts getting knocked out by a team from Malta not so long ago either. Derry City came and horsed Gretna 5-1 in their sole European season. Hibs lost 9-0 in a single game once if I remember correctly - Maribor or Malmo - and Celtic have been skelped by teams with a fraction of their budget only to get back in through the back door to be soundly thumped again. Them losing to Cluj and Ferencvaros in the last 2 seasons was a riddy for them given the difference in budget between them and their victors.

But sadly the worst of all still probably belongs to us and Progres 3 years ago, given our stature and the manner of the defeat and aftermath in the hedge
That was bit of a freak result with rangers,as we've proved since.

The other results you mention are now the norm for teams from the spl.

What makes it worse is it shows you how far our football has fallen. Aberdeen beat real madrid, dundee utd were one game away from a european cup final. Compare this with the state the national team is in and sadly these results are no longer a shock.

This just goes to prove what I've being saying for years.

The spl, apart from them and us is at the level of the irish and welsh leagues. After kilmarnock last season and now this, no matter what the outcome is of the game, proves it for me.

Clubs outwith us and them are shopping around for players on the English fifth tier. That's mostly down to finances (and difficulties of scouting effectively beyond the UK) but it does, as you say, show the level the game is at up here.

Mind you, no-one other than ourselves, seems particularly keen to shake things up, as witnessed by the voting shambles earlier this year.

There has been a disasterous result more or less each season for one - or more - of the Scottish European representatives since the mid 90s or so.

Aberdeen tend to lead the way having lost to shite from as varied places as Skonto Riga and Bohemians as I recall as well as recent ones to teams from Kazakhstan.

Kilmarnock losing to a Welsh team after winning the away leg was risible, as was Hearts getting knocked out by a team from Malta not so long ago either. Derry City came and horsed Gretna 5-1 in their sole European season. Hibs lost 9-0 in a single game once if I remember correctly - Maribor or Malmo - and Celtic have been skelped by teams with a fraction of their budget only to get back in through the back door to be soundly thumped again. Them losing to Cluj and Ferencvaros in the last 2 seasons was a riddy for them given the difference in budget between them and their victors.

But sadly the worst of all still probably belongs to us and Progres 3 years ago, given our stature and the manner of the defeat and aftermath in the hedge
Jimmy Calderwood kept Aberdeen in Europe until January, when Bayern put them out. Prestige and good money from the run, especially the German TV cash

A season later, they sack him for poor runs in the domestic cups. That's Scottish footballs problem - too inward looking

Bit embarassing for Motherwell.

Hope they get through 'furra co-efficient' but also so they're knackered going to Israel before playing us.

Was watching it thinking they will have to travel pre playing us and it negates the potential disadvantage we would have playing while they rested. So happy they are through.

Good that means Motherwell must now travel to Israel before they play us and play in the heat
if they had gone out a free week for you them but not now

Yup! Glad Motherwell got through as it evens things out when we go to play them next week.
Always hate it when we have an away league game after an away European game.

Back