Lionel Charbonnier tweet about Rangers & Fernando

Touching from Lionel. True class of a Ranger.
On a side note, did we not have Klos, Charbonnier and Niemi at one point as 1, 2 and 3rd choice keepers or is my memory failing.

Touching from Lionel. True class of a Ranger.
On a side note, did we not have Klos, Charbonnier and Niemi at one point as 1, 2 and 3rd choice keepers or is my memory failing.

Yeah I think we did. Niemi was definitely 3rd choice! What a team we had then.

Nice words from the big man. Fond memories of him too

Nice words. I didn't realise they'd been team mates, thought Charbonnier had left before Ricksen arrived.

Loved the way when Charbonnier got injured we just went and signed Dortmund's champions league winning #1. Changed days.

Remember when we used to sing (or hum) the Marsellaise? And if Lionel hadnae got injured, would we have such fond memories of der goalie?

Lovely words, remember being at at the midweek game v St Johnstone, battered them 7-0 with a guivarch hat trick, we sang Lionel Charbonnier over and over to tune of Frenchman national anthem for what seemed like 20 minutes non-stop.

One of those moments in football you never forget and I bet Lionel hasn’t.

Lovely words, remember being at at the midweek game v St Johnstone, battered them 7-0 with a guivarch hat trick, we sang Lionel Charbonnier over and over to tune of Frenchman national anthem for what seemed like 20 minutes non-stop.

Was there that night........brilliant.

Remember him in goals when Bayern fluked a last minute equaliser at Ibrox, Tarnat, took the biggest deflection you've ever seen and caught big Lionel off guards.

Nice words from him, once a bear always a bear.

Lionel again illustrating the “once a Ranger always a Ranger” reality. Lovely, heartfelt tribute to Fernando.

I have a great memory of singing “Lionel Charbonnier” to the tune of Le Marseillaise away against Bayer Leverkusen, 1998. For ages. GvB and JJ scored in a 2-1 win. Barry flummoxed their world class midfield with a world class turn. And the bears partied, mainly in the delightful city of Cologne. Cracking trip. Cracking memories.

Back