Lionel Messi

There saying it was a cross not a shot .the keeper pushed it away .
Livescore says if was a sot
Hello

Unfortunately, Opta have registered this as a cross and not a shot. We are unable to change this and we must settle on exactly what Opta record.

We purposely use a stats provider with a strong reputation for accuracy, they provide us stats to hundreds and even thousands of matches over a month, they are used by other betting companies too. Whilst they have a good reputation for observations and stats of a fixture, not every single thing they post is fact hence why, like in this situation, there is a debate as you see differently to what they have determined from their specific observation.

We have to remain completely unbiased when it comes to what a shot on target is (along with the other statistical-based markets) and we do explain how we settle these bets in the market notes.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else this evening

Its a joke

Mate you’re 45

When Maradona was at his peak you were still in primary school, you weren’t exactly watching him week in week out

the irony of calling anyone deluded here is obviously not lost on you
No one, in my time, was watching him week in week out, unless you had a season ticket,there was no YouTube, no social media.

I am sorry, maybe I used the wrong word in *deluded" would delusional fit better?

Still maradonna for me. I don’t think Messi wins Italian league with Napoli near enough on his own or World Cup in 86.
Hellas Verona won Serie A two seasons before with a pretty limited squad. The only real great players they had were HP Briegel and Prebjen Elkjaer. It was hardly just Maradona either, Di Napoli, Ciro Ferrara and Bruno Giordano were regarded as really good players.

And by the time they won it the second time they had Alemao, Careca, and Gianfranco Zola playing for them.

Pele won 3 world cups

Maradona won 1 World Cup

Messi won’t win a World Cup and neither will Ronaldo

Levels.
Nobby Stiles and Stephane Guivarc'h both won it.
Cruyff didn't and George Best never even played at a finals.

There's a bit more to it.

Nobby Stiles and Stephane Guivarc'h both won it.
Cruyff didn't and George Best never even played at a finals.

There's a bit more to it.
Did they win 3? To win 3 world cups is incomparable. You can point to a few who have won 1 and say well they are not that good.

To win 3 is obscene.

Pele won 3 world cups

Maradona won 1 World Cup

Levels.
Messi has 4 European Cups, Pele and Maradona have none.

As has already been pointed out, he’d also have won the World Cup in 2014 if Higuain hadn’t missed sitter after sitter. Messi captained Argentina to that final and won player of the tournament.

Messi has 4 European Cups, Pele and Maradona have none.

As has already been pointed out, he’d also have won the World Cup in 2014 if Higuain hadn’t missed sitter after sitter. Messi captained Argentina to that final and won player of the tournament.
15 staua Bucharest players have won European cups. Being part of a dominant Barcelona team in a tournament that’s played annually is great well done.

Winning THREE world cups, a tournament that’s only played every four years, is different levels.

Most players don’t even get to play in a World Cup let alone win three.

Hopefully Argentina are out on their arse after the next round of matches so we don’t need to put up with any more gushing threads about him.

Did they win 3? To win 3 world cups is incomparable. You can point to a few who have won 1 and say well they are not that good.

To win 3 is obscene.
Totally agree that Pele has a great case for being the greatest. An unbelievable player who dominated world football at a time of great players.
But winning 3 world cups was down to being lucky enough to be born Brazilian and having some absolutely incredible teammates too. Garrincha, Revelino, Gerson, etc etc. That 1970 team's forward line was almost unfair, 5 genuinely world class footballers all at once.

They actually won it in 1962 without him, he missed most of the competition injured.

Totally agree that Pele has a great case for being the greatest. An unbelievable player who dominated world football at a time if great players.
But winning 3 world cups was down to being lucky enough to be born Brazilian and having some absolutely incredible teammates too. Garrincha, Revelino, Gerson, etc etc. That 1970 team's forward line was almost unfair, 5 genuinely world class footballers all at once.

They actually won it in 1962 without him, he missed most of the competition injured.
Only 8 teams have ever won the World Cup. It’s safe to say that each player was “ lucky” to be born into a country with a chance of doing so.

To win three world cups as a player will never be matched lest alone beaten.

Pele won 3 world cups

Maradona won 1 World Cup

Levels.

If we're being honest Messi could've retired about 5 years ago and still be regarded as the greatest. I remember watching the Champions League years ago when he was still early 20s and the likes of Arsene Wenger and Graeme Souness were saying he's the greatest player of all time.

Never understood the notion that you need to win the World Cup to be the best. Part of it is luck (depending on where you're born) and anything can happen in tournament football.

Surely a better measure is their entire careers laid out? In that regard Messi (and Ronaldo) wipe the floor with anyone. Pele stayed in Brazil playing against farmers and plumbers and Maradona had a couple of good seasons with Napoli, flopped in Spain and fannied about in Argentina.

If we're being honest Messi could've retired about 5 years ago and still be regarded as the greatest. I remember watching the Champions League years ago when he was still early 20s and the likes of Arsene Wenger and Graeme Souness were saying he's the greatest player of all time.

Never understood the notion that you need to win the World Cup to be the best. Part of it is luck (depending on where you're born) and anything can happen in tournament football.

Surely a better measure is their entire careers laid out? In that regard Messi (and Ronaldo) wipe the floor with anyone. Pele stayed in Brazil playing against farmers and plumbers and Maradona had a couple of good seasons with Napoli, flopped in Spain and fannied about in Argentina.
You lost me at “ luck “ to win a tournament that’s only played every four years , not only that but to win it three times.

Will never be beaten.

Imagine Messi coming up against Claudio Gentile.

Or the Butcher of Bilbao, who broke Maradona's ankle. Messi would have been lucky to have a career after 25 back then.

I noticed he never really done much running till about an hour in then he was doing a bit of pressing and more running of the ball, he's maybe conserving his energy for when the opposition tire

Only 8 teams have ever won the World Cup. It’s safe to say that each player was “ lucky” to be born into a country with a chance of doing so.

To win three world cups as a player will never be matched lest alone beaten.
Nobody is saying it will be matched, but that can't and shouldn't be what decides the greatest ever football player.

Multiple Brazilians won it twice, by your logic they are all better than Messi too?

I honestly don't know which of them was better as the generations are so different. The professionalism, the fitness, the pitches, the equipment, the rules around physical play, etc etc. I just know both deserve to be in the discussion as both were the greatest of their time.

I noticed he never really done much running till about an hour in then he was doing a bit of pressing and more running of the ball, he's maybe conserving his energy for when the opposition tire
To be fair, he’s a 35 year old playmaker now who plays centrally mostly - he shouldn’t really have the legs to press folk at the top level. You’re right though, he was more calculated than you see with most players.

He’s literally ran at full teams of players the last 17 years, kind of demonstrates his natural ability even further to be honest.

Back