Liverpool and AS Roma Track Josh McPake

His point is, they need the chance. I heard the dissapoinentment in young Gilmours voice that the one time he thought he was getting a.chance we opted not to use him from the bench. Time we started hammering teams so we have ample opportunities to give these kids a taste. A real taste.
Eh? My understanding of the situation is that Gilmour couldn’t play til he was 16 (as he couldn’t be on a professional contract) and agreed to piss off to Chelsea whilst still 15, agreeing to move on turning 16. We had him training with the first team to try and keep him. There was nothing we could do.

I desperately want McPake and all our most talented youngsters to remain with us and ultimately get into the first team. To do this though they must get game time to maintain their hunger. Of course where we currently are financially and recognising the quality of the league we operate on we will lose some of these good players but at least will receive decent fees for them.
Whilst I hate to lose youngsters with great promise before they are genuinely ready to challenge for our top team we’ve got to recognise we can, and do, do this to other teams.

The boy is probably 12-18 months away from potentially breaking in to our first team.

I'm sure the money he could earn at either of those clubs would be life changing, but I suspect he would be able to earn a good wage at Rangers and if he becomes an important first team player, will have the ability to earn an incredible wage as well.

In short, I couldn't blame him if he decided to make move as would probably set him and his family up for life with a single contract and signing on fee. However I would be extremely disappointed and start to wonder what the point of us investing in youth academy if the cream is going to be poached before it's even had first team football and we get left with all the "average" players deemed not at that level.

Problem is you can sign for Premier league teams in Engand on serious money and get your game time out on loan. Ryan Kent, James Madison, Patrick Roberts etc have all done it in our league never mind the ones in the championship and league one.
Good point.
I’d suggest such a programme is too much for McPake at this stage though.

Ironically that’s the sort of meaningless cliche that DJ himself would use on the likes of Snyde.

The post above was pointing out that loosing a 17 year old would in fact not be a ‘hammer blow.’
Well unless the lad is given a chance to prove that he can cut it and he then does the we have lost

Before our last game of the season, I was told Rangers had made him a very good offer that would have seen his current wage trebled and it was turned down.

Hope he stays, looks the part anytime I’ve saw him.

Eh? My understanding of the situation is that Gilmour couldn’t play til he was 16 (as he couldn’t be on a professional contract) and agreed to piss off to Chelsea whilst still 15, agreeing to move on turning 16. We had him training with the first team to try and keep him. There was nothing we could do.
Don't think he was old enough for SPFL games but could play in cup games. We should have gave him a wee taste but what's done is done.

McPake = Pler!

He’ll have a bright future I have no doubts about that. If he wasn’t away with the youths to The HK Soccer Sevens I reckon he woulda got a run out against Killie last game of the season.

A little weird that he's now entering his last year of his contract. Anyone able to cast a light on why, as he's so highly rated, he's not been offered new terms way before now? The way it's been reported, is that we're suddenly wanting to tie him down since there's interest in him.

Smashing player in what I've seen from the youths. Would hate to lose him at this point when he is probably in and around the 1st team.
Didn't we steal him from hibs not too long ago?

What is the point in having academies when they get to a certain age and can just go elsewhere with a shitey nominal fee being paid? I mean that for all clubs I imagine we take advantage of it to, the standard of football in this country might be a bit better if clubs are getting more money or getting to keep their better players.

What's point in having academy players and not playing them.thats the point of the player

Track away lads!
Gilmour and McPake proving we are on the right track, for every gem lost it opens up a spot for another and propels our awareness.
Imagine the scenes if we get an Ajax level batch for a couple of years

And big DJ was only 16,if your good enough then your old enough.

Was the boy hickey big enough when he played Scottish cup final against them ,we have real problem with taking a chance on our youths ,we hear constantly how well they are all doing, but never show them to us ,yet all other academy players are thriving in first teams.

Huddersfield literally scrapped their entire academy (and got loads of stick for it by the way) for this very reason. Rather than spending millions on an academy and then the few stars they produce get picked up by bigger clubs for peanuts the chairman pledged to just spend the few million on young players from other teams academies who were showing potential. I can totally see the sense, if we are struggling to hold on to these boys then what chance do teams like Huddersfield have.

Was the boy hickey big enough when he played Scottish cup final against them ,we have real problem with taking a chance on our youths ,we hear constantly how well they are all doing, but never show them to us ,yet all other academy players are thriving in first teams.

While we chase them for every piece of silverware can’t see it improving

While we chase them for every piece of silverware can’t see it improving
Agree it's not easy to find happy medium but we have lads in reserves at 19/20 and can't get near it and the player just ends up frustrated,if offers come they see a different light. ,we need show some confidence in them.

A big problem in keeping these boys is the level of Scottish football itself. Even at youth level they are kicked to pieces and offered little or no protection. There is also a huge lack of challenge.
That is being dealt with by withdrawing from the Reserve league and playing more games in Europe at youth level.
The SPFL though is a joke.

Back