Liverpool Champions League 2005

Paisleybear30

Just seen that Milan Baros has retired and is the last player of that team to hang up his boots.

The team that started that final has got to be right up there as worst on paper to have won the champions league.

Dudek, Steve Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Djimi Traore, Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Harry Kewell, John Arne Riise and Baros

Gerrard and Alonso are the only world class players there, carra and hyypia were both good but the rest are hardly worthy of the biggest occasion in club football

My hat goes off to Gerrard for leading them to victory

Has to be the most average team to win a champions league alongside Porto. Gerrard and Alonso aside only a few of them are top class never mind world class.

And they beat this team. Absolutely full of great players

1-Dida;
2-Cafu, 31-Jaap Stam, 13-Alessandro Nesta, 3-Paolo Maldini;

8-Gennaro Gattuso, 21-Andrea Pirlo, 20-Clarence Seedorf; 22-Kaka;

11-Hernan Crespo, 7-Andriy Shevchenko.

It was an absolute miracle

The full backs alone were a wet dream.

That Milan starting 11 must have had about 800 caps between them at the end of their career.

1-Dida;

Unreal team. All 11 will be up there near the top of all time best players in their position

1-Dida;

That team is something else, at half time you really feared the worst for Liverpool work the scoreline. Our gaffer was immense but I think Haman came off the bench and he really seemed to settle them and give the platform for Gerrard and others to build on.

Goes to show that you can have the best players but not the best team.
It’s why we love football!

That 2005 UCL final has to go down as one of the best sporting comebacks ever. Gerrard grabbing the team and pushing them over the line was nothing short of incredible!

Just remembered they finished 5th that season as well promoting a rule change to let them back into the UCL to defend it

1-Dida;

The 3 nil score at half time reflected this.
Milan came out in the 2nd half and went through the motion's thinking it was finished.
When the momentum swings so much in a game its hard to get back on it.
Even playing 7s with you're mates you notice that.

I thought Baros was a good player too and couldn't believe that was him just retiring. I remember him doing well at a Euros and I thought that was Euro 2000, must have been 2004 though.

I also think the turnaround was down to Liverpool changing shape at half-time and Milan thinking they had it won already and just needing to see it out. I might be wrong but I am sure Liverpool's 3 goals all came early in the second half and were within 6 minutes of each other. That short spell of the game aside, Milan were the better team.

Unreal team. All 11 will be up there near the top of all time best players in their position

You honestly think Dida was one of the greatest keepers of all time?

I'd argue that only Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, Pirlo, Seedorf and Shevchenko would be considered anywhere near the top of all time best players in their positions (which is still pretty good btw).

You honestly think Dida was one of the greatest keepers of all time?

I'd argue that only Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, Pirlo, Seedorf and Shevchenko would be considered anywhere near the top of all time best players in their positions (which is still pretty good btw).
I’d say he’s up there yeah. Not the best obviously but a World Cup and 2 champions leagues is pretty impressive. You didn’t play for AC Milan at that time without being a top player

I’d say he’s up there yeah. Not the best obviously but a World Cup and 2 champions leagues is pretty impressive. You didn’t play for AC Milan at that time without being a top player

Disagree.

He’d be lucky to be in the top 100 keepers of all time.

Back