Liverpool chiefs Jurgen Klopp doubts increase as reds further push for Steven Gerrard(Mirror)

He's won us 55 and made us feared at home and abroad.
Whether it's tomorrow or 2025 he leaves, he is a Rangers legend and I will love the guy forever.
Exactly... he could leave in the summer and I’ll be happy regardless... he brought us back from the abyss...

I imagine there will be, but I'd also imagine there is also one that says if Liverpool appoach it must be accepted without question.
the belief seems to be its not in his contract (as this could nullify a compo fee for us). However I stongly suspect a "gentlemans" agreement is in place which would allow Liverpool permission to approach him if they chose to do so prior to May 24

I disagree completely.

His dream is to manage Liverpool. If he fails at Liverpool then he would go straight back to punditry.
Nah, he has the Souness about him.

He'll always be available for the Liverpool job and will always be top of the list, but if he takes it after Klopp (especially so if it happens at the end of this season) then it'll be hard to watch what comes next,

The last part there sadly is 100% correct. As soon as there is genuine interest on Liverpool's part then he will jump at the chance straight away.

I remember the day he took over and saying I hope he does manage Liverpool after us because it meant he was a success with us. Liverpool wouldn't go for him if he turned out a dud manager.
I said the exact same thing as you at the time, more or less word for word.

Let's be honest, it's in liverpool's hands now and I think the best we can hope for is that klopp stays on.

But but but whyyyyyy??? Achievements in Scotland are shite cause it's a pub league and EPL is the best thing to ever happen in the universe.

This is them trying unsettle SG and our squad .let's get this league tied up then see where it takes us .If and we he gets us the 55 then he will be carried to Liverpool

Nah, he has the Souness about him.

He'll always be available for the Liverpool job and will always be top of the list, but if he takes it after Klopp (especially so if it happens at the end of this season) then it'll be hard to watch what comes next,

I don't really know what you mean tbh.

I personally don't think Gerrard wants a 25/30 year career as a manager at 7/8/9 different clubs.

I think he's happy here with us and would like a few more years before moving. He wants the Liverpool job but if that wasn't available I think he'd consider a job like Leeds/Villa as a stepping stone if he had to.

If he succeeds at Liverpool then he'll decide himself when he goes. If he fails or is a bit meh then I think he'd take the England job on.

I think he'll be retired from management by the time he's 55/56/57. There is no way he's going to be someone who bounces about the lower leagues or relegation candidate premier league teams year after year.

I might not be as knowledgeable as many on here but if Klopp goes I can't see why Gerrard isn't the obvious option. If I'm honest I'm slightly worried it could happen.

Being honest, I don't have fond memories of that era because of what it caused, not the players fault, or Advocaats but Murray was crashing us into a wall, the good times did not merit the come down that we're just about to fix after years of pain.

I know what you mean. Some of the spending was way too high, out of control

I'm one of the more worried on here about the prospect of losing him. But there's not much there to go on. What happens if Germany win the Euros or get to the final?

Thats the crux of the article

Speculation Lowe will get punted if Germany have a poor Euros even though old sniff ma balls is contracted to the 2022 World Cup.

It is speculation layered with speculation

My own sense is that Klopp - for reasons of his legacy and his ego - will want to take at lest one more shot at the EPL, and the CL, before he ships out. Bringing just the one league title to Anfield might not be enough of a legacy for him.

When Klopp does move on, it is inevitable that Gerrard will be viewed as his logical. replacement - especially if he demonstrates next season that his current success isn't a fluke. I reckon we'll have Gerrard for one more year - possibly two depending on how the situation evolves at Liverpool.

I don't really know what you mean tbh.

I personally don't think Gerrard wants a 25/30 year career as a manager at 7/8/9 different clubs.

I think he's happy here with us and would like a few more years before moving. He wants the Liverpool job but if that wasn't available I think he'd consider a job like Leeds/Villa as a stepping stone if he had to.

If he succeeds at Liverpool then he'll decide himself when he goes. If he fails or is a bit meh then I think he'd take the England job on.

I think he'll be retired from management by the time he's 55/56/57. There is no way he's going to be someone who bounces about the lower leagues or relegation candidate premier league teams year after year.
A "Stepping stone job"? That's the sort of thing for burnt out jobbers like Rodgers, who took the poets as a stepping stone job to get to a historic club with a distinguished history like Leicester City.

Gerrard will take the Liverpool job when he wants to take it. There's no rush.

Thats the crux of the article

Speculation Lowe will get punted if Germany have a poor Euros even though old sniff ma balls is contracted to the 2022 World Cup.

It is speculation layered with speculation
If Lowe gets punted they will turn to Flick.

Flick takes the job, Bayern will turn to Klopp, Klopp doesn't take the job they go for Valverde.

A "Stepping stone job"? That's the sort of thing for burnt out jobbers like Rodgers, who took the poets as a stepping stone job to get to a historic club with a distinguished history like Leicester City.

Gerrard will take the Liverpool job when he wants to take it. There's no rush.

I mentioned a stepping stone job if he was ready to leave us and the Liverpool job wasn't immediately available or if the Liverpool board said to him that he needed 2/3 years premier league experience before getting the Liverpool job. Neither are out with the realms of possibility.

I don't think Gerrard is in any rush to get the Liverpool job. I think he loves it where he is right now and he feels he has unfinished business.

My own sense is that Klopp - for reasons of his legacy and his ego - will want to take at lest one more shot at the EPL, and the CL, before he ships out. Bringing just the one league title to Anfield might not be enough of a legacy for him.

When Klopp does move on, it is inevitable that Gerrard will be viewed as his logical. replacement - especially if he demonstrates next season that his current success isn't a fluke. I reckon we'll have Gerrard for one more year - possibly two depending on how the situation evolves at Liverpool.
Agree

If Lowe gets punted they will turn to Flick.

Flick takes the job, Bayern will turn to Klopp, Klopp doesn't take the job they go for Valverde.

Do we really think in modern day football the manager of Bayern Munich or Liverpool is going to take a national team job? Can't see it myself.

We all know that he’s going to end up at Liverpool but it is too early. He needs to gain more experience and get numerous trophies under his belt before departing with everyone’s best wishes. If he goes too soon, it won’t end well.

I mentioned a stepping stone job if he was ready to leave us and the Liverpool job wasn't immediately available or if the Liverpool board said to him that he needed 2/3 years premier league experience before getting the Liverpool job. Neither are out with the realms of possibility.

I don't think Gerrard is in any rush to get the Liverpool job. I think he loves it where he is right now and he feels he has unfinished business.
He's taking the Liverpool job when he wants to take it.

The only people in the way is Klopp and himself.

It's as simple as that.
Do we really think in modern day football the manager of Bayern Munich or Liverpool is going to take a national team job? Can't see it myself.
If you're talking about the German job, then why not?

Hansi Flick is a manager who spent years as assistant manager, told he wasn't good enough for the top job after 2018 WC, moved to Bayern to prove he was good enough and proved he is.

If you're talking about Klopp, then it's a resounding "no".

He's stated several times he doesn't want the job, would miss the "madness" of weekly training and pressure and wants to stay in club management.

If Liverpool get rid of him in the next few years, it's against his will.

Why isn't he ready?

It's not a junior team he has turned around, Rangers are a massive club, he's taken us from the doldrums and made us as good as we have been at any time since I've been going to games, don't underestimate what he has done.
Annoyingly you’re correct. In fact it’s worse, the expectations at Rangers are more than at Liverpool. He’s built a team on a fraction of the budget of our rivals and put us back at number 1. He doesn’t need to prove anything else, luckily I think he’ll want a shot at proving it at the champions league with us.

He's taking the Liverpool job when he wants to take it.

The only people in the way is Klopp and himself.

It's as simple as that.

If you're talking about the German job, then why not?

Hansi Flick is a manager who spent years as assistant manager, told he wasn't good enough for the top job after 2018 WC, moved to Bayern to prove he was good enough and proved he is.

If you're talking about Klopp, then it's a resounding "no".

He's stated several times he doesn't want the job, would miss the "madness" of weekly training and pressure and wants to stay in club management.

If Liverpool get rid of him in the next few years, it's against his will.

I think that's too simplistic. The Liverpool board won't appoint Gerrard until he has had Champions League managerial experience IMO.

Going from Bayern or Liverpool to the German national team is a massive step down. Elite managers aren't interested in national team jobs unless it's a part time number towards the end of their career.

There's something not right at Liverpool right now, I'm telling you that as someone who lives down here and hears about it every day. It wouldn't surprise me is Klopp and Liverpool went their separate ways in the summer.

Living down here I speak to a lot of Liverpool fans and I have a gut feeling that Klopp's time there is over. I think they'll move on in the summer.

I'm worried they will come for Gerrard if I'm honest.
You’re obviously closer to what’s going on there, but I can’t help feeling that both Liverpool and Klopp aren’t about to quit each other after one bad season following unparalleled success.

I do think Gerrard has made himself a very serious contender for the job now however, but I also think it’s just as likely they would turn to someone like Flick or Nagelsmann to continue the success Klopp has begun.

Gerrard’s time will come eventually though, I think we all know that.

If as appears almost certain he guides us to the title this season, he’ll surely go with all our blessings.

I don’t reckon he’ll leave because with Gerrard it feels like it’s not about money (must be one of the only people in football nowadays) but it’s more about pride. He can do something with us in the group stages next year that will resonate through football history. Stay here and become a legend

You’re obviously closer to what’s going on there, but I can’t help feeling that both Liverpool and Klopp aren’t about to quit each other after one bad season following unparalleled success.

I do think Gerrard has made himself a very serious contender for the job now however, but I also think it’s just as likely they would turn to someone like Flick or Nagelsmann to continue the success Klopp has begun.

Gerrard’s time will come eventually though, I think we all know that.

If as appears almost certain he guides us to the title this season, he’ll surely go with all our blessings.

You have to remember that when Klopp was at Dortmund they collapsed towards the end of his tenure and Liverpool seem to be doing the same thing. They have been playing/training at such a high intensity/focus for 5 years and they've achieved everything they wanted to. Personally, I think they're lacking focus and motivation this season and I understand it.

I think it would be the sensible move for Liverpool to stick with Klopp but you just never know. Klopp himself doesn't seem very happy at the moment either.

If Klopp was to go, I think Liverpool would bring in Benitez for a couple of years then poach Gerrard once he's got Champions League experience.

I think that's too simplistic. The Liverpool board won't appoint Gerrard until he has had Champions League managerial experience IMO.

Going from Bayern or Liverpool to the German national team is a massive step down. Elite managers aren't interested in national team jobs unless it's a part time number towards the end of their career.

There's something not right at Liverpool right now, I'm telling you that as someone who lives down here and hears about it every day. It wouldn't surprise me is Klopp and Liverpool went their separate ways in the summer.
"Sources say".

Aye, right.

You have to remember that when Klopp was at Dortmund they collapsed towards the end of his tenure and Liverpool seem to be doing the same thing. They have been playing/training at such a high intensity/focus for 5 years and they've achieved everything they wanted to. Personally, I think they're lacking focus and motivation this season and I understand it.

I think it would be the sensible move for Liverpool to stick with Klopp but you just never know. Klopp himself doesn't seem very happy at the moment either.

If Klopp was to go, I think Liverpool would bring in Benitez for a couple of years then poach Gerrard once he's got Champions League experience.
I wasn’t entirely surprised Liverpool have fallen away this season, although maybe not quite as spectacularly as they have done.

I think there was always the risk of a hangover after achieving the holy grail of Premiership success. It’s been three or four years of massive incremental achievement down there so once injuries kicked in and results began to go against them fatigue, mental as well as physical, seems to be playing a big part following such a sustained period of intensity.

I suppose Klopp could look at it that he’s achieved everything he set out to at Anfield and can really only go sideways from here, but I think he’ll want another season to regroup and try and reclaim the title.

I can’t imagine Liverpool will be in any rush to deny him that opportunity.

In the incoming couple of weeks, Gerrard and his backroom staff and our squad (let's not forget them too) will have stopped Timbo's 10 (9.5) in a row, given us our record 55 titles and restored our European pedigree big time.

Rangers is now known again for football ability and not for off the field negativeness with corrupt businessmen and their dodgy money making deals.

Gerrard's European experience and tactical European awareness could also well get us further into the EL, as possible Quarter Finalists with the ability to go even further. We are now feared in the arena of European football with the exception of the arrogance of a few teams and some English pundits

If and when Gerrard achieves all this (possibly this or next season) he can leave with my blessing and best wishes. We all know that he will be leaving whenever Liverpool come calling and rightly so as it is the one of the ultimate team jobs in the ultimate league in the world. Souness shocked us all by doing the same back in 1991.

However, we made one of our other greatest managerial appointments after that in 'Sir' Walter Smith. The only thing that makes me jealous is that Rangers aren't there in the EPL, a British or European League to play against Steven Gerrard's Liverpool when he becomes their manager. To be honest, I couldn't give a toss if we never played Celtic or any other Southern Irish or Scottish team ever again.

In the incoming couple of weeks, Gerrard and his backroom staff and our squad (let's not forget them too) will have stopped Timbo's 10 (9.5) in a row, given us our record 55 titles and restored our European pedigree big time.

Rangers is now known again for football ability and not for off the field negativeness with corrupt businessmen and their dodgy money making deals.

Gerrard's European experience and tactical European awareness could also well get us further into the EL, as possible Quarter Finalists with the ability to go even further. We are now feared in the arena of European football with the exception of the arrogance of a few teams and some English pundits

If and when Gerrard achieves all this he can leave with my blessing and best wishes. We all know that he will be leaving whenever Liverpool come calling and rightly so as it is the one of the ultimate team jobs in the ultimate league in the world. Souness shocked us all by doing the same back in 1991. However, we made one of our other greatest managerial appointments after that in 'Sir' Walter Smith.The only thing that makes me jealous is that Rangers aren't there in an EPL, a British or European League to play against Steven Gerrard's Liverpool when he becomes their manager. To be honest I couldn't give a toss if we never played Celtic or any other Southern Irish or Scottish team ever again.
This belongs in the Kerrydale hall of fame.

I wasn’t entirely surprised Liverpool have fallen away this season, although maybe not quite as spectacularly as they have done.

I think there was always the risk of a hangover after achieving the holy grail of Premiership success. It’s been three or four years of massive incremental achievement down there so once injuries kicked in and results began to go against them fatigue, mental as well as physical, seems to be playing a big part following such a sustained period of intensity.

I suppose Klopp could look at it that he’s achieved everything he set out to at Anfield and can really only go sideways from here, but I think he’ll want another season to regroup and try and reclaim the title.

I said it would happen at the start of the season. Liverpool were a better team the year they won the Champions League than the year they won the league. They went through a period of 2/3 months winning games by the odd goal and eventually won the title (I'm not criticising that btw).

Liverpool have been aiming to win the league for 30 years and they achieved it. The only way for them was down, whether consciously or subconsciously their players aren't performing as well as they have. The don't have the relentless winning mentality that United did under Ferguson to win 2/3/4 title in a row, the club don't have that mentality.

Can Klopp reorganise them and refocus them to go again? I'm not so sure.

Btw, I think there is potential for us to struggle next season after 55 for similar reasons but I think we'll cope due to the overall mentality of the club.

I said it would happen at the start of the season. Liverpool were a better team the year they won the Champions League than the year they won the league. They went through a period of 2/3 months winning games by the odd goal and eventually won the title (I'm not criticising that btw).

Liverpool have been aiming to win the league for 30 years and they achieved it. The only way for them was down, whether consciously or subconsciously their players aren't performing as well as they have. The don't have the relentless winning mentality that United did under Ferguson to win 2/3/4 title in a row, the club don't have that mentality.

Btw, I think there is potential for us to struggle next season after 55 for similar reasons but I think we'll cope due to the overall mentality of the club.

He has puts where we should be in Scotland and we're now respected in Europe. I want him to stay forever, but that ain't happening.

Liverpool were the better side until November.

They were well on the way to retaining their title and it went wrong with injuries.

Then again, press loves a narrative.

I agree. It wouldn’t surprise me either.

Much is going to depend on how well both ourselves and the Yahoos handle recruitment this summer.

Their job is bigger than ours, but we’ve a good bit of work to do too and I wonder if the focus will, subconsciously at least, shift towards the Champions League next season.

I’d love to believe the support will be tolerant of any domestic hiccups after what we’ve achieved this season, but I think we know that probably ain’t going to happen.

Last edited:
He has put us where we should be in Scotland and we're now respected in Europe. I want him to stay forever, but that ain't happening.

I doubt Klopp would want the national team job at this stage in his career. Seems to be a whole load of ifs and buts which are unlikely.

Last edited:
Liverpool were the better side until November.

They were well on the way to retaining their title and it went wrong with injuries.

Then again, press loves a narrative.

I suppose they win the "better side until November" trophy then?

I agree. It wouldn’t surprise me either.

Much is going to depend on how well both ourselves and the Yahoos handle recruitment this summer.

Their job is bigger than ours, but we’ve a good bit of work to do too and I wonder if the focus will, subconsciously at least, shift towards the Champions League next season.

I’d love to believe the support will be tolerant of any domestic hiccups after what we’ve achieved this season, but I think know that probably ain’t going to happen.

I think it's something we should understand could happen but I don't think it will, I think we're going to dominate for 3/4 years tbh.

We're fortunate in that our domestic games are easier compared to the potential Champions League games we we can vary our intensity over the course of a season. Liverpool don't have that option, they could be playing more difficult games in between Champions League games.

The support are what we are, I can't criticise too much as I am a moany bastard at the best of times. I think the support will give the manager/team some breathing space next season as we have so much more confidence in them now. We've been demanding success for years now and probably had unrealistic expectations in the past but I think we're now at a point where the fans have confidence in the team because they've proved they can win now.

Gerrard will know in his own mind when he thinks he’ll be ready for Liverpool.
He knows he’ll get one crack at his dream job. My own opinion is he’s at least
a few years away. He’ll want Champions League experience as will the Liverpool
hierarchy.

I think he will want one more season with this squad and to have a pop at the Champions League. After that I believe he will be fully equipped to take any job down South. Only issue will be that the Liverpool job is ultimately what he wants and we all know a lot of it is timing. If Klopp did leave in the summer, Liverpool would want a new manager in and signed up for 3-4 years, they wouldn’t be putting in some temp waiting a year for Stevie G.

Back