Liverpool chiefs Jurgen Klopp doubts increase as reds further push for Steven Gerrard(Mirror)

I think he will want one more season with this squad and to have a pop at the Champions League. After that I believe he will be fully equipped to take any job down South. Only issue will be that the Liverpool job is ultimately what he wants and we all know a lot of it is timing. If Klopp did leave in the summer, Liverpool would want a new manager in and signed up for 3-4 years, they wouldn’t be putting in some temp waiting a year for Stevie G.

You don't think they could get Benitez to take the job for 1 or 2 years?

You don't think they could get Benitez to take the job for 1 or 2 years?
Would be as well sticking with Klopp for one more season rather than get a temp in for 1 year. Could even agree an early release for Gerrard to work under him for a month or so assuming we had won league early enough (again)

Would be as well sticking with Klopp for one more season rather than get a temp in for 1 year. Could even agree an early release for Gerrard to work under him for a month or so assuming we had won league early enough (again)

I think Klopp is a guy that you need to be all in with. I don't think the "one more season" would go well. For instance, in his last season with Dortmund when it was agreed he'd leave at the end of the season, they were bottom of the Bundesliga at Christmas.

I think it Klopp was to go this summer, Liverpool would get a more experienced manager in for 1/2/3 years then make their move for Gerrard.

We all know that he’s going to end up at Liverpool but it is too early. He needs to gain more experience and get numerous trophies under his belt before departing with everyone’s best wishes. If he goes too soon, it won’t end well.
And I believe Gerrard knows this. He’ll go when he’s ready not before.

If he decides to leave, whether that’s another EPL team or Liverpool, he’ll be going with everyone’s best wishes

He’s cemented himself as a club legend by
winning the league this season and stopping 10iar. I just don’t think he’s ready at present
There is always a chance of anything.
If Liverpool come calling I believe he would go.
And he is definitely ready, that is plain to see.

We’ve not even won 55’ (officially) and some are already panicking about next season and beyond.

Let’s just enjoy what’s still to come this season; league, Europa and possibly the Scottish Cup.

What happens with Gerrard and Klopp is out of our hands. FWIW, I reckon Gerrard has at least next season at Rangers. We don’t even know how that will pan out; defence of our league title, possibility of Champions League group stage football?

What makes a manager ready?

He was an under 18s coach for one season when he took over mission impossible. A job where second is as good as last.

He was ready for us.

He is ready for Liverpool.

When they call,he will go and, when he does, I hope he wins the lot with them.
It’s a funny one - but I agree with carragher when he said they need experience to manage these epl clubs to be able to have something to fall back on if they hit a down time - he said ten years . Gerrard is confident in his abilities but at the same time seems sensible - the Liverpool job will be his someday - I’d like to think he thinks another few years away

I'm not going to click on the actual story, but the headline doesn't make sense anyway. When Gerrard does leave, eventually, it will be a huge decision for him; being Rangers manager is one of best jobs in fooball, and the support he gets here is second to none. If Liverpool were to appoint appoint him it is a risk; their commitment to Gerrard would be massive, and they most definitely would need that to work. Losing Gerrard would be a sad day for Rangers, but it wouldn't alone be our problem, Gerrard would need to know it's the right thing to do; if he left for Liverpool, they would need to know it's the right thing to do as well. The need to bring success here is great, but the pressure, for Gerrard, to be successful at Liverpool would be even greater; Liverpool would have to get that one right. Replacing Klopp at Liverpool is going to be one of the most difficult roles in football; and, as it stands at this particular time, arguably more didficult than replacing Gerrard at Rangers.

He will definitely be on their shortlist now because of our exploits in Europe.

If you look at his expenditure and what he has achieved it is nothing short of sensational.
It has been some grounding for Gerrard as there are very few managers who can actually manage on a budget, even the bottom end EPL clubs can be signing a single player for the combined cost of our whole squad, and near the top end 60-70-80m for a player would not be baulked at, ffs Gareth Bales wages would near cover our whole club, and i would not take a single one of these ( in the £££ bubble) managers over Stevie Gerrard.

I don’t think Gerrard will feel ready for that move. He’s got plenty of time in his career left, and if he did go now and f*** it up, he’ll damage his reputation. Hopefully Souness has a word. He’s still got much to learn anyway. Title defence, CL football etc.

There’s zero chance Gerrard will be Liverpool manager next year, he’s not ready.

A season in CL with us, possibly another season beyond that and he’d be ready to step up
I really don't understand this thought process. We are a huge club with huge demands and Gerrard has done fantastically well with us. Our European exploits will make more clubs than Liverpool sit up and take notice. The job Gerrard has done from where we were prior to his arrival to where we are now is remarkable and he has more than enough to take the Liverpool job although I'm hoping we keep him for a few more years yet.

The only person who decides if Klopp leaves Liverpool is Klopp.

They would never sack him in a million years.

The European Cup and EPL title has bought him immortality at that club, and rightly so.

I really don't understand this thought process. We are a huge club with huge demands and Gerrard has done fantastically well with us. Our European exploits will make more clubs than Liverpool sit up and take notice. The job Gerrard has done from where we were prior to his arrival to where we are now is remarkable and he has more than enough to take the Liverpool job although I'm hoping we keep him for a few more years yet.
He’s only just made us successful though. One season of success isn’t enough. He has to prove he can keep us successful consistently. That’s when the the top EPL clubs will consider him, unless they want to take a big risk like we had. But we had to, Liverpool don’t.

Personally I think he may well move at some point if the Liverpool job came up he’d take it if offered it. Ranger know that and I’m sure will have contingency plans in place. Maybe not in terms of who comes in but in terms of a list which will be updated regularly.

The top managers doing the rounds for all the big clubs have all won the Champions League so Liverpool may not be looking for Gerrard for at least 3 years.

It’s like reading the daily rhecord.Well placed source inside Liverpool gives their opinion.If Gerrard goes to Liverpool then it will be with thanks.Won us title 55 put timmys gas at a peep.I’ve no doubt if he keeps improving us and winning things he will be Liverpool’s manager but not right now.I think at least until title 56.

to say "zero" chance is hopeful I'd say. Bottom line is if Liverpool want Stevie as their manager now, next week, next year on in 10 years he'll take the job. Nothing we or any other future employer could do to prevent this,
Correct, He's rebuilt the playing side of Rangers Football Club in 3 seasons, is well regarded by many in the EPL for his work at Ibrox, people in the game realise the size of job he took on

There’s less pressure on the Liverpool job now that they have the title monkey off their back. I think he’ll replace Klopp directly after next year. And hopefully number 56.

as much as i want him to stay and lead us to the champions league, if he goes he goes, we are rangers, we won't wither on the vine and die

I don't think Gerrard would be in a rush to leave for Liverpool at the moment. Whilst it is his spiritual home, I sense it is the right job at the wrong time for him.

Not to draw parallels with the past but, like Souness, he'd be inheriting a fantastic team but a fantastic team mentally and physically fatigued from 4 years of working hard under Klopp. There are real similarities coming to the fore now with Klopps time at Dortmund.

If Klopp does leave it will take a couple of years to rebuild that squad for another tilt at the title imo as players will look to leave.

He’s only just made us successful though. One season of success isn’t enough. He has to prove he can keep us successful consistently. That’s when the the top EPL clubs will consider him, unless they want to take a big risk like we had. But we had to, Liverpool don’t.
If Klopp leaves Liverpool whoever replaces him will be a massive risk, Klopp has won the world club champions, Champions league and the EPL in a short space of time and if Klopp does leave unfortunately for us Gerrard will definitely be on Liverpool's shortlist to replace him. Regarding Gerrard keeping us successful consistently whilst that keeps his pedigree as a manager up I think it's his European exploits that will ultimately make other clubs sit up and take notice.

The only person who decides if Klopp leaves Liverpool is Klopp.

They would never sack him in a million years.

The European Cup and EPL title has bought him immortality at that club, and rightly so.
FSG model is dependent on CL participation every year. There's every chance there could be a parting of the way this summer.

FSG model is dependent on CL participation every year. There's every chance there could be a parting of the way this summer.
How do you know what FSG's model is?

I highly doubt Liverpool or FSG would crumble if they don't make the CL. Fenway sports are not daft enough to operate a sporting system that demands guaranteed success.

Far from being "not ready", I think Steven Gerrard is tailor-made. I'm sceptical about how much of a difference minimal years on the managerial clock and no (managerial) Champions League experience really makes, but whatever he may lack in those departments, he absolutely excells, and then some, in every other aspect. If you're a Liverpool Chief Exec, Klopp making an immediate successor recommendation, a former player, a current player, a fan, or even a hack, it's an absolute no-brainer who gets the job.

All that said, has Klopp himself made any sort of hint that he's ready to move on? Or all just paper talk and speculation?

How do you know what FSG's model is?

I highly doubt Liverpool or FSG would crumble if they don't make the CL. Fenway sports are not daft enough to operate a sporting system that demands guaranteed success.

Article in the Athletic yesterday about it by one of their main Liverpool writers.

Need to sell players to bring others in. "Deluxe Sevilla" he termed it.

They expected to get £100m last summer in sales and 'only' got £42m

Hopefully Stevie wants a crack at the champions league with us. Cant see him going yet he is building something special

I fear him leaving if Klopp is sacked, but I also feel Gerrard wouldn't go to Liverpool just yet as he'd want a crack at the Champions League with us. So, I reckon at best we still have 1 to 2 years with him. Also, Gerrard is a very loyal person and for that reason I think he will honour his contract.

I can see Gerrard being a viable replacement at Liverpool, but not quite yet.

As others have rightly said he’s buliding something here that’s getting better all the time. Why give that up now at the risk of failure at Liverpool ? At Rangers he knows he can take us into the CL, can defend our title, win cups and gain vital managerial experience...which he still needs. He’s pretty much admitted that at times. That he’s still learning and has a long way to go to match others he’s been compared with.

It’s safer for him to learn from his mistakes here than in his dream job. He has time on his side and I’m sure his special relationship with Liverpool will ensure his chance will come, but only when the time is right.

No. It's too early for him in his career. Hopefully SG sees out his contract gaining trophies and experience along the way. Everyone knows we are a stepping stone for him, he will leave with his head held high and the undying respect of us all.

I think that's too simplistic. The Liverpool board won't appoint Gerrard until he has had Champions League managerial experience IMO.

Going from Bayern or Liverpool to the German national team is a massive step down. Elite managers aren't interested in national team jobs unless it's a part time number towards the end of their career.

There's something not right at Liverpool right now, I'm telling you that as someone who lives down here and hears about it every day. It wouldn't surprise me is Klopp and Liverpool went their separate ways in the summer.

Gerrard has had us punching above our weight in Europe for 3 years now. It's the Europa League of course but it's all relative. He has shown he knows how to set teams up and get results in Europe.

I would even argue the gap in quality of the players will be less for him if he was managing those Liverpool players at CL level than the Rangers squad at Europa League level.

If we get into the CL, there should be no expectations on us to do anything. The gap in quality between us and 99% of the clubs in the group stage of the CL is monumental.

There could be a number of "big" clubs looking for a new manager in the summer - Man U, Spurs, Arsenal - but I don't think Liverpool will be one of them, especially if they win the Champions League which is still entirely possible. On the other hand the long drawn out retirement/moving on season rarely goes well.

There’s zero chance Gerrard will be Liverpool manager next year, he’s not ready.

A season in CL with us, possibly another season beyond that and he’d be ready to step up
I think Gerrard will want a crack at the CL with us before making the leap to the EPL

Let's face it if Liverpool come calling Gerrard will be off, and he will leave a hero. Would like to see us go for Lampard if that's the case.

How much compensation would we be paid if this happens anyone any idea?

Back