Liverpool chiefs Jurgen Klopp doubts increase as reds further push for Steven Gerrard(Mirror)

I don’t necessarily think that Klopp is going to jump for the German job.
He strikes me at this point in his career of still needing the challenges of running a top club team. He may see his biggest challenge ahead is to retain the league in 21/22.
Apart from national pride international football I don’t think that alone will keep Klopp satisfied at this stage of his career.

It's genuinely incredible the amount of people on here who think if Liverpool come calling Gerrard won't be away. It's utter madness.

His family are down in Liverpool as well, he is living away from them up here. He will be on the motorway heading down there before Liverpool are even off the phone if the call comes.

There is never a perfect time in football, the situation can change quickly. Gerrard said when we came calling for him, he knew he wasn't ready and the timing wasn't perfect but it was an opportunity he couldn't reject, because an opportunity like that might not come along again if you say no. The same logic applies to Liverpool coming calling.

Gerrard could end up sacked from Rangers next season if we have a poor season. He could leave us to join say a Newcastle, and maybe it doesn't work out for him there either and then Liverpool might not be interested in him.

I believe Gerrard will be the next Liverpool manager whether it's this Summer or 1 or 2 years from now. Whenever Klopp leaves Gerrard will be his replacement. I think people should get comfortable with what is around the corner and be at peace with it. He will go with my abolute best wishes after delivering us 55 and stopping their Tainted 10. He will be a God in Glasgow forever now for what he has done.

It's genuinely incredible the amount of people on here who think if Liverpool come calling Gerrard won't be away. It's utter madness.

His family are down in Liverpool as well, he is living away from them up here. He will be on the motorway heading down there before Liverpool are even off the phone if the call comes.

There is never a perfect time in football, the situation can change quickly. Gerrard said when we came calling for him, he knew he wasn't ready and the timing wasn't perfect but it was an opportunity he couldn't reject, because an opportunity like that might not come along again if you say no. The same logic applies to Liverpool coming calling.

Gerrard could end up sacked from Rangers next season if we have a poor season. He could leave us to join say a Newcastle, and maybe it doesn't work out for him there either and then Liverpool might not be interested in him.

I believe Gerrard will be the next Liverpool manager whether it's this Summer or 1 or 2 years from now. Whenever Klopp leaves Gerrard will be his replacement. I think people should get comfortable with what is around the corner and be at peace with it. He will go with my abolute best wishes after delivering us 55 and stopping their Tainted 10. He will be a God in Glasgow forever now for what he has done.
This.

The he needs more experience line doesn't wash either when you look at how the other superclubs have appointed over the last 10-15 years. Plenty of club icons in there with less experience than Gerrard has now.

Far too many people are basing it on the "Look at Lampard" argument. Lampard had the worst PPG ratio in the Abramovich era. His teams (both of them) were horrendous defensively.

Chelsea are a club that thrive on a revolving door policy and I don't believe Lampard is in the same ball park in terms of managerial ability as Gerrard. Put it this way - do Lampard and Jody Morris come up here and deliver what SG and co have ? Chelsea players complained about a lack of organisation, tactics and man management. Not a single one of them could be squared at Gerrard.

The idea that Gerrard is going to knock back Liverpool to stay here longer is mental IMO.

Said it before, Liverpool won't come calling this summer but I'm utterly convinced an EPL side will.

Personally I think Gerrard will really want to take this team in to the Champions League, equally I think it will be a miracle of we get more than 2 more seasons out of him. Enjoy him while he's here.
I think 2 seasons more max, so I hope we have a plan on how to replace him.

Imagine you're a manager at Aston Villa. You're doing really well, having got them promoted back to the Premiership. You're 6th in the league and into the last 16 of the Europa League with a great chance of getting to the quarter finals. You get to the end of the season with the fans worshipping you after restoring their pride.

Rangers call wanting you to be their manager.

You don't think twice. It's your team. You've never hidden the fact that it's a burning ambition to manage at Ibrox and there's no way you can turn down the opportunity.

You leave with everyone's best wishes and the door always open for you to return in the future.

Imagine you're a manager at Aston Villa. You're doing really well, having got them promoted back to the Premiership. You're 6th in the league and into the last 16 of the Europa League with a great chance of getting to the quarter finals. You get to the end of the season with the fans worshipping you after restoring their pride.

Rangers call wanting you to be their manager.

You don't think twice. It's your team. You've never hidden the fact that it's a burning ambition to manage at Ibrox and there's no way you can turn down the opportunity.

You leave with everyone's best wishes and the door always open for you to return in the future.

If circumstances were different, would anyone seriously expect Barry Ferguson to knock back the Rangers managers job if offered it ?

Why are they expecting Gerrard to do likewise with Liverpool ?

Totally agree. Whenever Klopp leaves Liverpool is when we should start being worried. If Gerrard is overlooked for the job then he might consider his future and be open to a job in the Premier League to prove himself at that level.

The good thing is we are aware of this and should be able to have some sort of succession planning in place so that when Gerrard does move on we can move quickly to get a replacement.

2 trains of thought with this for me, one with the head, one with the heart.

The head says : He's Liverpool through and through, if they came calling, he would struggle to say no, just like Souness, who by all accounts was a Rangers fan growing up.

The Heart says : He loves it here, he's only been at 1 club for the majority of his career, so maybe he's came to Ibrox, and fell in love with the place, and fancies another couple of years here at least.

Whatever the outcome, the man is a Legend, and if he decided to go, it would be with every right-minded Rangers fans' best wishes.
Souness was on the Robbie Fowler podcast recently and said it is, and always has been, Rangers first, Liverpool second

If Klopp was to leave due to being sacked then Gerrard would be utterly mental to take the job. As good as he is, there’s no way he’s going to do any better there than Klopp did, which surely means he’d be sacked too?

It's the Mirror FFS. If they actually printed the truth we would have 6ft of snow every winter , 50 degrees every summer and Nessie would be real.
Exactly!
Don’t believe the hype.

A friend in Liverpool, told me this.
‘I think Klopp will see out his contract (2024) before leaving to manage Germany and Gerrard would be a great asset to LFC if he were to take over the reins....but he is determined to see the job of managing Rangers through to the end in spite of what the Scottish media would like to happen.....’

Sums it up perfectly, and makes a lot of sense.

As for the Mirror like the old George Best line about Tommy Docherty.
“If Tommy told me the sky was blue, I would still want to go out and check for myself”

Is McNally still there?
If he is, it answers everything!

If Klopp was to leave due to being sacked then Gerrard would be utterly mental to take the job. As good as he is, there’s no way he’s going to do any better there than Klopp did, which surely means he’d be sacked too?
If Gerrard gets offered the Liverpool job he’s away.

Garbage - Liverpool won't punt Klopp at all. It will take another disaster season for them to do so. I smell an agenda to unsettle Gerrard and the team.

If the gaffer were to go (which he will do when the call comes) I would hope Ross Wilson and the board move heaven and earth to keep Michael Beale.

Yes, he'd be utterly mental to accept the job of managing one of the best teams in the world, in one of the best leagues; seizing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that may never come round again.

Aye, after all he could only win the EPL and the CL. No achievement whatsoever

I think he'll be there until the end of next season at least. They've had a horrid time with injuries and he's personally had a horrid time of late. Gerrard would jump at the chance though, lets not pretend otherwise.

Back