Liverpool could seal title at neutral venue with six fixtures set to move

rangeral

The game in which Liverpool could secure the Premier League title could be held at a neutral venue, says the national lead for football policing.

Deputy Chief Constable Mark Roberts says up to six matches could be moved at the request of local police forces.

They include the Merseyside derby as well as Manchester City v Liverpool.

Roberts said discussions with the Premier League had been "positive" with a "shared focus on the priority of public health".

The Premier League is set to restart on 17 June, subject to government approval.

The fixtures set to be moved to neutral venues are:

Manchester City v Liverpool
Manchester City v Newcastle
Manchester United v Sheffield United
Newcastle v Liverpool
Everton v Liverpool
The game in which Liverpool could secure the title

"We have reached a consensus that balances the needs of football, while also minimising the demand on policing," said Roberts.

"The majority of remaining matches will be played, at home and away as scheduled, with a small number of fixtures taking place at neutral venues, which, contrary to some reports, have yet to be agreed.

"The views and agreement of forces which host Premier League clubs have been sought and where there were concerns, the Premier League has been supportive in providing flexibility in arranging alternative venues where requested.

"This plan will be kept continually under review to ensure public health and safety and a key part of this is for supporters to continue to respect the social distancing guidelines, and not to attend or gather outside the stadiums."

Liverpool, chasing their first title for 30 years, lead the Premier League table by 25 points with nine games remaining,

Liverpool about to win the league for the 1st time in god knows how many years wont stop fans going to neutral venue. In fact probably worse as many making non essential journeys
Another thing as well it’s not going to stop Liverpool fans gathering at anfield to celebrate either.that would be like us being asked not to celebrate title 55

It's a bloody sin for their fans to miss out on it, however, at least they won it and weren't given it. Fwiw Liverpool have acted with class and decorum and fully deserve their title, the squad and style of play Klopp has built is great to watch (even as a neutral).

They're not being thick, just had enough.

Eh?

If you’re in the middle of a pandemic and you ignore government rules devised in conjunction with the WHO and associated parties, you are thick. We’ve all had enough, I certainly have given I’m high risk and not supposed to leave home at all, even for exercise. But some of us would rather not risk increasing the spread again by flaunting the rules and fannying about as we please.

Pretty harsh on the players. If I was one of them I'd want to win it at home if that game was supposed to be a home game

I can’t really understand why anyone would congregate outside a football ground whilst a match is being played. Maybe that’s just me, but if we were to start playing from August behind closed doors, I’d be watching it on tv, not hanging around outside Ibrox.

I don’t see why neutral grounds are going to be used - will there be ‘hubs’ for games in certain regions of England taking place on the same day?

I get the reason for doing it but the home and away factor should at least still be there, why are reams fighting relegation allowed to play at home but teams at the top aren't?

No fans. Neutral venues. It's not football anymore.

Those German matches have been no better than exhibition matches. I have had more excitement in one day wondering if my neighbor's barbie was going to catch fire.

How a real football team should win a title.On the pitch against an opponent won’t catch on here in the republic of scotland though.ira f.c won’t allow it.

No fans. Neutral venues. It's not football anymore.

Those German matches have been no better than exhibition matches. I have had more excitement in one day wondering if my neighbor's barbie was going to catch fire.

Is he a poet and wears the scum top?

That makes it sweeter.

Liverpool win next two games they cant be caught and man city loosing first game and liverpool win its over two more wins to make sure

• LiverpoolPCrystal Palace
  • EvertonPLiverpool

Back