Liverpool fitness levels

albert_left_peg

The pressing and chasing from 1st min to 95th min was incredible, I lost count of the amount of times they won the ball high up the pitch.

I watch some of the inside Liverpool training videos on youtube and you can see from there how they get to those kind of fitness levels.

I can see what Stevie G is trying to replicate here, and hope it works.

I fully expected Liverpool to wilt in the last 15 minutes, and there were signs it was beginning to happen.

But when they got the 4th goal, you could see the difference it made, it gave them an adreniline boost and something to hold on to.

Barcelona have been great throughout the years not only because of the skill their players have, but also their work ethic, they work extremely hard without the ball.

Last night, they came up against a team whose effort outshone theirs. Liverpool outfought, outworked, and outplayed them last night. Their work rate and fitness levels are outstanding.

The pressing and chasing from 1st min to 95th min was incredible, I lost count of the amount of times they won the ball high up the pitch.

I watch some of the inside Liverpool training videos on youtube and you can see from there how they get to those kind of fitness levels.

I can see what Stevie G is trying to replicate here, and hope it works.
Think it was a combination of fitness levels and adrenaline. It's good their game was on the Tuesday, because they will be utterly exhausted the next few days.

They literally never stop pressing for the full 90. If it was a Spanish side doing it you’d have all sorts of theories going around as to why they never tire.
There is evidence of dubious practices in Spain though. Do the EPL not have fairly rigourous checks around doping? Genuine question?

There is evidence of dubious practices in Spain though. Do the EPL not have fairly rigourous checks around doping? Genuine question?

They probably do. But call me cynical, I’m doubtful about whether any top level sport is ‘clean’ now and with the money I’m sure a lot can be kept hush hush.

As previous poster says the timing of the 4th goal gave them that second wind to finish strong. The crowd dragged them over the line as well .
The Liverpool players mind you must have felt like crying when they seen 5 mins extra time.

You would think at this stage they would have run out of gas. Fit as f/ck that team. Their full backs never stop.

It's what they do, philosophy built around it.

Has to be said under Gerrard, we rarely look tired (in comparison to recent seasons at least)

They probably do. But call me cynical, I’m doubtful about whether any top level sport is ‘clean’ now and with the money I’m sure a lot can be kept hush hush.
I've always thought it's more about staying a few steps ahead of legislation and utilising new "products" in place of the recently banned.

In all honesty sport has always been intertwined with doping and I'm sure a large proportion of the greatest ever achievements have been due, in part at least, to performance enhancing drugs.

In my opinion, and I'm probably in the minority on here, elite sport is made more of a spectacle by the participants becoming more "elite".

Sport science helps a lot.

I don't buy the doping aspect as some players simply wouldn't these days...it's not like 50s or 60s when medics injected players at half time!!

Just reckon it was a case of the crowd sticking with them all night. And Barcelona not being as good as the media portray them. That was never a 3-0 game last week and Liverpool competed well in all areas. Love fairy tales and hope they do the double.
I'm not really a fan of any English team but Liverpool deserve a trophy for what they've put into the game the past few years. That said when you're competing with City and Real Madrid getting a trophy is a tad difficult.

Back