Liverpool place some non-playing staff on furlough

To be fair it does make sense to do it, and then pay the staff the 20% top up - rather than staff 100% or staff getting less than they would normally

I know tax avoidance will be rife but they do probably pay a chunk into the system

Last edited:
Amazing how none of the playing staff are being furloughed at any major UK club, just the support staff aren’t needed. Last I checked footballers were subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us, and aren’t needed right now either.

To be fair it does make sense to do it, and then pay the staff the 20% top up - rather than staff 100% or staff getting less than they would normally

I know tax avoidance will be rife but they do probably pay a chunk into the system

Actually the ironic thing is that the people not paying the proper amount of tax will be more likely to lose out on this.

Is it legal, probably, I'm no expert. Is it right, morally I would say no. Is it an abuse or people taking advantage of something set up to protect jobs and companies in danger due to the crisis, probably.
Unfortunately when it comes to business the only people who are important are the shareholders and the owners.
I would love Rangers to say the players and directors will meet the costs of the non playing staffs wages it would be a magnificent gesture.

WTF Scumbags van d.k klopp and salad could probably pay their clubs staff with their OBSCENE wages.

What about cash rich banks, oil companies, tobacco manufacturers.

Should they be allowed to use it.
Although legally correct it is immoral for Premier League Clubs to utilise this or any other Club that claims to have millions in the Bank. The Government should introduce legislation saying that 90% of all employers must be registered. Let. us see what the £200K a week staff say

Is it legal, probably, I'm no expert. Is it right, morally I would say no. Is it an abuse or people taking advantage of something set up to protect jobs and companies in danger due to the crisis, probably.
Unfortunately when it comes to business the only people who are important are the shareholders and the owners.
I would love Rangers to say the players and directors will meet the costs of the non playing staffs wages it would be a magnificent gesture.
Rangers Directors have been doing it for years, that's why we needed soft loans

There's no way these PL clubs are that skint they couldn't subsidise the non playing staff for even a month.

Irrespective of perceived revenues to come these clubs are already pleading poverty yet can pay ridiculous sums of money in the midst of a meltdown.

The Government need to get to grips with all these multi million pound businesses negating a responsibility of burden they can easily see out in the short term.

Nonsense. They are well within there rights to place staff on furlough leave as per Government guidelines. I don’t see you moaning at massive organisations throughout the UK doing exactly the same.

Don’t forget that Jordan Henderson and James Milner are the ones who are setting up a Premier league coronavirus fund which will raise millions of pounds for the NHS. The players also donated £40k for food banks when the season was put on hold too. Nobody seems to be interested in the good work players and clubs do throughout the communities on a weekly basis because it doesn’t suit there agenda.
The players that contribute are different class, it is the clubs that are looking really really poor in all this

Sickening. I left my previous employer on the 28th of February, started with my new employer on the 2nd of March.
My current employer isn't allowed to furlough me because you have to be on the books by the 28th of February, so theyve now made me redundant. Ive been punished for moving jobs at the wrong time, even though I was a tax payer on the dates in question. I also don't qualify for universal credits. Now billionaire football club owners are using it when they clearly don't need to.
You can ask your old employer to enrol you, allowed under the scheme

It is absolutely sickening to see super rich football clubs take advantage of a scheme which is ultimately funded by every taxpayer in the country. Fair enough if you’re Motherwell or Port Vale but, as others have said, modest and temporary pay cuts for millionaire footballers would more than cover the pay of non-playing staff.

The Government has been brilliant in looking after Companies that need it and guaranteeing the workers' jobs. It's the greedy bastards that are ruining it
I don't think they have been brilliant and that's coming from someone who votes Conservative.

On paper, covering 80% of wages is a good thing. However, it's up to employers to apply for it rather than it being freely available for employees to apply.

It's resulted in scumbags like Ashley and Philip Green treating their staff terribly.

Although legally correct it is immoral for Premier League Clubs to utilise this or any other Club that claims to have millions in the Bank. The Government should introduce legislation saying that 90% of all employers must be registered. Let. us see what the £200K a week staff say

Everyone has their own morals, so it is not for me to say that what you believe to be immoral is not.

However I fundamentally disagree with your position. There is no difference between a cash rich football club and a cash rich cigarette producer as far as this situation is concerned.

Saving the businesses is as important as anything else in this. If we don't do it then individuals will have no job to go back to and the economy will take a tremendous hit.

You are a business man, if someone said to you that this scheme will only be open to you when you have spent all of your cash reserves, at a time when loans are difficult to get, particularly if you do not have a lot of unencumbered assets you know what the likely result would be.

People would be out of a job.

I don't think they have been brilliant and that's coming from someone who votes Conservative.

On paper, covering 80% of wages is a good thing. However, it's up to employers to apply for it rather than it being freely available to employees to apply.

That has resulted in scumbags like Ashley and Philip Green treating their staff terribly.
It is a nightmare just now with Companies applying on behalf of their workforce, can you imagine the chaos if everyone was applying individually

It is a nightmare just now with Companies applying on behalf of their workforce, can you imagine the chaos if everyone was applying individually
As much as I'm against universal basic income, I think something similar would have been easier to enrol and manage.

Everyone has their own morals, so it is not for me to say that what you believe to be immoral is not.

However I fundamentally disagree with your position. There is no difference between a cash rich football club and a cash rich cigarette producer as far as this situation is concerned.

Saving the businesses is as important as anything else in this. If we don't do it then individuals will have no job to go back to and the economy will take a tremendous hit.

You are a business man, if someone said to you that this scheme will only be open to you when you have spent all of your cash reserves, at a time when loans are difficult to get, particularly if you do not have a lot of unencumbered assets you know what the likely result would be.

People would be out of a job.
We have spent all our cash reserves, we are in a jam-like everyone else but not once have I complained about money as people are dying, that's my morals.
Loans are freely available, with interest-free for a year, Government-backed guarantee for 80% of the loan
Clubs like Liverpool have no chance of going out of Business
As for other Companies, I agree with you but that is the old 'whataboutery' Deal with the subject
morally bankrupt mega-rich football clubs
Yes I have different morals from you

It needs to be means tested.
I hope the government turns round and tells some very rich businesses to gtf when their applications for the cash come inevitibly rolling in.

As much as I'm against universal basic income, I think something similar would have been easier to enrol and manage.
Not a chance, up to 15 million people would be trying to register and a sizeable amount would fill in the form wrongly then that would create more delays. Nearly one million applied for UC in the first 6 days

We have spent all our cash reserves, we are in a jam-like everyone else but not once have I complained about money as people are dying, that's my morals.
Loans are freely available, with interest-free for a year, Government-backed guarantee for 80% of the loan
Clubs like Liverpool have no chance of going out of Business
As for other Companies, I agree with you but that is the old 'whataboutery' Deal with the subject
morally bankrupt mega-rich football clubs
Yes I have different morals from you

No, you don't tell me how to "deal with the subject" in your arrogant, self-righteous condescending way.

Huge companies with massive turnovers and very highly paid executives are no different to football clubs. If they are entitled to use the scheme there is nothing wrong with them doing it.

The amount of money in English football is obscene. Any club in the Premiership that put their staff into furlough in this time should be barred from any prize money for the next 10 years. C**ts doesn't even begin to sum them up.

No, you don't tell me how to "deal with the subject" in your arrogant, self-righteous condescending way.

Huge companies with massive turnovers and very highly paid executives are no different to football clubs. If they are entitled to use the scheme there is nothing wrong with them doing it.
There are two types of people in this world
1 people that live in the real world (me )
2 the others ( you )

So they are getting tax payers to pay 80% of there staffs wages who earn under £2500k per month, while the pay Salah £300k per week and the other multi millionaires. The self employed are getting 80% of our profits not overheads (even though you pay insurance etc annually) and have to wait until June.

These non playing staff would be the first ones to be paid off at the end of the day.

At least their jobs are now safe for the time being.

Don't see anything wrong here.

I know that clubs get paid millions and millions but they live to their means. They rely on this money as well in some form. The option is there and they are taking it.

There are two types of people in this world
1 people that live in the real world (me )
2 the others ( you )

There are 10 times of people in the World

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Do you have any staff currently on furlough or about to go on it. You told us you had laid a lot of people off not that long ago.

Do you have any staff currently on furlough or about to go on it. You told us you had laid a lot of people off not that long ago.
Yes we have 6 full-time staff on it, which we will pay the extra 20% ( i thought it was 5 for some reason )
And we have applied for all our part-time staff as well. We will wait and see what happens.

I think to a certain extent some of us are missing the point of the scheme. It isn't there to subside rich clubs it's there to meet the wages of people that otherwise would be paid off and get nothing.

Liverpool could fund it but they don't need the people affected and likely won't for some time so could just as easily have let them go and they would need to claim universal credit instead. Plus they are actually topping it up to the full amount.

I genuinely get scunnered at posts like this man.

If Liverpool are paying salah 100k a week on reduced rate then I dont give a fuk about furlough they should be shamed and banned

Going back to my school days ( Fred Flinstone was in the class below me )
Was it not the Chinese that invented the basics of Binary and now the modern computer is based on this system?

An interim universal basic income paid into your bank account.
But very few of hem was on UC, you would need to make sure the claimants are real people, they ask for your passport, plus a bank to pay the money into.
I wish I knew the answer to get people money within days but sadly I don't think there is a way

But very few of hem was on UC, you would need to make sure the claimants are real people, they ask for your passport, plus a bank to pay the money into.
I wish I knew the answer to get people money within days but sadly I don't think there is a way
It just doesn't sit right with me that employees are dependent on employers applying for the 80% and the employers needing to have cash reserves to pay staff until the government pay them the 80%.

I genuinely get scunnered at posts like this man.

If Liverpool are paying salah 100k a week on reduced rate then I dont give a fuk about furlough they should be shamed and banned
Why employ staff you don't need irrespective of how much money you have? That is the reality of this as no football means no need for backroom staff such as admin, matchday staff etc. It's not as if they are being subsidized to work which would be wrong. It's not as if this is going to last a couple of weeks.

This scheme means that people who would otherwise have been paid off still get money. Do you have any experience of the benefits system? The people being furloughed can still get normal wages rather than the pittance that Universal Credit pays if they would even be entitled because if they had a working partner that would be unlikely.

Back