Liverpool v Napoli friendly at Murrayfield?

As soemone who moved away from Scotland aged 9 and now lives in continental Europe I find it difficult to understand the merits of seeing Liverpool over going to Ibrox. There again, I'm the kind of fool who frequently ends up with something in my I when I'm at a home game.

However, this thread and yesterday's attendance does show you the challenges that we face for future generations.

I watch every game on RTV. Mrs S knows not to deliberately schedule any social activites for these times. I think I watched 3-4 games as live last year due to unavoidable circumstances.

When I was a kid my Mum's relatives encouraged me to follow their Aberdeen support. They bought me kit and boots and it was during Fergie's time so it would have been really easy. I think they didn't want me to follow Rangers and get mixed up in all that sectarian stuff. I may have cheered them on against Real Madrid in 1983 but my allegiance was never in any doubt as can be demonstrated by my tears at Hampden a few days later, in with the sheep wearing a Rangers tracksuit and scarf. I must add that my Dad isn't a huge football fan, there was no obvious pressure to support Rangers. He was a notional Bear because he was a Protestant from Bathgate. He took me to games but was adamant that he wouldn't take me to OF clashes.

I lived in England from 1982 until last year. I have never supported an english team. It's not a conscious choice . I had a soft spot for Liverpool in Europe because I was a Daglish fan and from 11 or 12 years old I'd often watch Aldershot, the nearest league team to me, in the old Fourth Division. Ocassionally my Mum or Dad would take me to see Southampton at The Dell but much as I enjoyed it nothing really stuck.

We might never ever see beyond the group stages of the CL ever again but we are a unique, special institution. I know with Sky and the money and success in England it must seem hard for kids not to be seduced by english football.

My view, and to tie many threads together, we must take every opportunity to emphasise the positive traditions and history of Rangers.

I wonder how many RC schooled Scots genuinely support anyone other than the filth or their Edinburgh pals?

Hope you both had a great time, we certainly did. Unfotunatly not only should we not have had a good family day out yesterday but we should now be boycotting events like this for the greater good of Scottish football.

Now that's a conundrum. I'm sure most on here want Scottish football to die a looooooooonnnnnnggggg.............................................................slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww..........................................................liiiiiiiiingerrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingggggggg....................................................death!

:p

Hope you both had a great time, we certainly did. Unfotunatly not only should we not have had a good family day out yesterday but we should now be boycotting events like this for the greater good of Scottish football.

We risked generations of future Rangers fans and made Rangers skint by attending this one game instead of the friendly at Ibrox aswell, apparently.

I wouldn't criticise any Scot or indeed Rangers supporter who went to this match, but the entire staging of this game was a slap in the face for the game in Scotland and anyone encouraging it should at least realise this.

Slowly the game in England is sucking the life out of Scottish football and the signs are there that we will eventually become another Welsh or Irish league, indeed at least Wales can command teams with a chance of keeping up with the Jones's, Scotland when we fall will not even be allowed that glimmer of hope.

Those that organised this game did not have the interests of Scottish football and indeed the RFU are an organisation to be resisted at all costs because clearly they are inclined to stealing money from football in Scotland and they will ultimately damage our product.
I suppose they don't care, ...but we should.

I wouldn't give Murrayfield even a sniff of Scottish football's knickers.
Of course, the SFA are a foolish organisation run by clowns and heavily coerced by RC's who work only for their own community, but this doesn't mean that our lot should surrender the future of Scottish football.

We need to wake up and see the bigger picture here and if we are to stay relevant as a club and as a Scottish game, we will need to do our own part to fight for it.

I wouldn't criticise any Scot or indeed Rangers supporter who went to this match, but the entire staging of this game was a slap in the face for the game in Scotland and anyone encouraging it should at least realise this.

Slowly the game in England is sucking the life out of Scottish football and the signs are there that we will eventually become another Welsh or Irish league, indeed at least Wales can command teams with a chance of keeping up with the Jones's, Scotland when we fall will not even be allowed that glimmer of hope.

Those that organised this game did not have the interests of Scottish football and indeed the RFU are an organisation to be resisted at all costs because clearly they are inclined to stealing money from football in Scotland and they will ultimately damage our product.

Of course, the SFA are a foolish organisation run by clowns and heavily coerced by RC's who work only for their own community, but this doesn't mean that our lot should surrender the future of Scottish football.

We need to wake up and see the bigger picture here and if we are to stay relevant as a club and as a Scottish game, we will need to do our own part to fight for it.
Unfortunately this thread turned into nothing but Rangers fans being critised for going yesterday.

Yeah, who cares but. I had a great day out. Everyone of them asking my Scottish Team wanted to talk about Gerrard. Full pub pre match singing Stevie G, Stevie G, Stevie Stevie G nah nah nah nah nah nah nah!.
I would love us to have a fan zone like they had yesterday with a wee sing song.

You're reading far too much in to this. This game was meant to be at Anfield but their pitch is being renovated. They also asked to play it at Tottenham's new stadium but were refused. I highly doubt it was a big conspiracy to attract more support.

You're reading far too much in to this. This game was meant to be at Anfield but their pitch is being renovated. They also asked to play it at Tottenham's new stadium but were refused. I highly doubt it was a big conspiracy to attract more support.

I never knew that, but nonetheless, my point is relevant to where we are in the modern game.

I am not being anti-Liverpool in this, rather it is important that we understand the dangers being imposed upon us from what is a huge football empire south of the border that is slowly colonising the minds of our future supporting lifeblood.

No need for the word conspiracy, which is a much-misunderstood term at the best of times.

I never knew that, but nonetheless, my point is relevant to where we are in the modern game.

I am not being anti-Liverpool in this, rather it is important that we understand the dangers being imposed upon us from what is a huge football empire south of the border that is slowly colonising the minds of our future supporting lifeblood.

No need for the word conspiracy, which is a much-misunderstood term at the best of times.
People cannot be made to see what they do not want to see.

You really need to give this a rest.
Liverpool seem to have become the go to club for Bears regarding English football. In fact reminiscent of the 1970’s. I don’t have a problem with that except for one thing.
How can so many people basically overnight fall for a club that for many years they accused of being the ‘ mentally challengeds of England ‘. And that was the phrase regularly used on here.

Liverpool seem to have become the go to club for Bears regarding English football. In fact reminiscent of the 1970’s. I don’t have a problem with that except for one thing.
How can so many people basically overnight fall for a club that for many years they accused of being the ‘ mentally challengeds of England ‘. And that was the phrase regularly used on here.

How many on here who bought tickets are claiming to be Liverpool fans, or even claim to have any real fondness for them? I'd wager that most who went who are Rangers fans, like me, saw it as an opportunity to see two excellent European sides, one of whom has just won the Champions League, in a location that is near to most of us and easy to get to.

Of course I'm Rangers first and foremost but I also love football, particularly the EPL. Following Rangers home and away means I've never even been down to see a game in England.

Incidentally I've seen plenty of people on here saying they've went down to watch EPL games on days Rangers are playing and never got accused of risking future generations of Rangers fans, strangling the life out of the Scottish game, or starving Rangers financially, or any other needless hysterical shite.

I’m not a Liverpool fan. Don’t like or dislike them. I’d have probably gone if it was Man United/Real Madrid/PSG as it’s a chance to see two good teams play not far from where I live.

Not sure how hard that is to grasp.

If you bought your tickets before the Derby game was announced, fair enough mate, but I just don't understand the mentality of people who call themselves Rangers fans but go to watch another British club, especially Liverpool. All you ever see at their games, if MotD is anything to go by, are Celtic scarves. And if you care that much about Liverpool that you'll pay good money to go and see them, don't get offended when Rangers fans get annoyed at reading stuff about their game on what's supposed to be a forum for Rangers fans.

i did buy my ticket before it was announced you talk alot of rubbish theres hardly any of there scarves at there matches .

ive been a liverpool fan for the last 19 years

by listening to klopp press conference he liked playing up here hopefully liverpool play more games up here

i did buy my ticket before it was announced you talk alot of rubbish theres hardly any of there scarves at there matches .

ive been a liverpool fan for the last 19 years

by listening to klopp press conference he liked playing up here hopefully liverpool play more games up here
I fuggn hope not!

We have a strong football culture already in Scotland and aren't some third world football nation ripe for colonising by clubs from other nations.
If Liverpool want to play matches in these isles outside of England they can fck off to Southern Ireland a country without a strong football tradition that is chock full of wannabee Scousers and Mancunians, that is if they cannot be fckd with travelling to Singapore or China.

The game in Scotland is already being undermined and trampled on from its bigger neighbour down south, and this should be nipped in the bud if possible.

If you are a Liverpool supporter, then guess what, they play games down in England every week and if you want to see them, Anfield is a mere 200 miles from Glasgow and it will be full of football tourists from countries that don't themselves have any proper football clubs.

Has anyone being to Edinburgh in summer ffs full of tourists who cares beet the Liverpool fans wish they hadn't bothered:)).

It's utterly batshit Murrayfield isn't the national stadium for pretty much all major events in Scotland.

As a facility it is miles, and miles and miles in front of Hampden.

if they could police it correctly and properly segregate the stadium to account for massive crowds they could make finals a muckle all day event with tills ticking all day as fans got to enjoy a pint.

In a country like Germany your FA would making enough coin out of a game there to fund the game for a year.

It's a legit sensational venue to go and see sports events.

Any sources for Liverpool league tickets?
I know there is always Chelsea spares on here but never seen Liverpool. Is there any sports travel companies in Scotland that do packages? I know there is some in NI but easier to travel from Scotland when working here

As soemone who moved away from Scotland aged 9 and now lives in continental Europe I find it difficult to understand the merits of seeing Liverpool over going to Ibrox. There again, I'm the kind of fool who frequently ends up with something in my I when I'm at a home game.

However, this thread and yesterday's attendance does show you the challenges that we face for future generations.

I watch every game on RTV. Mrs S knows not to deliberately schedule any social activites for these times. I think I watched 3-4 games as live last year due to unavoidable circumstances.

When I was a kid my Mum's relatives encouraged me to follow their Aberdeen support. They bought me kit and boots and it was during Fergie's time so it would have been really easy. I think they didn't want me to follow Rangers and get mixed up in all that sectarian stuff. I may have cheered them on against Real Madrid in 1983 but my allegiance was never in any doubt as can be demonstrated by my tears at Hampden a few days later, in with the sheep wearing a Rangers tracksuit and scarf. I must add that my Dad isn't a huge football fan, there was no obvious pressure to support Rangers. He was a notional Bear because he was a Protestant from Bathgate. He took me to games but was adamant that he wouldn't take me to OF clashes.

I lived in England from 1982 until last year. I have never supported an english team. It's not a conscious choice . I had a soft spot for Liverpool in Europe because I was a Daglish fan and from 11 or 12 years old I'd often watch Aldershot, the nearest league team to me, in the old Fourth Division. Ocassionally my Mum or Dad would take me to see Southampton at The Dell but much as I enjoyed it nothing really stuck.

We might never ever see beyond the group stages of the CL ever again but we are a unique, special institution. I know with Sky and the money and success in England it must seem hard for kids not to be seduced by english football.

My view, and to tie many threads together, we must take every opportunity to emphasise the positive traditions and history of Rangers.

I wonder how many RC schooled Scots genuinely support anyone other than the filth or their Edinburgh pals?

No disrespect meant mate but As someone who moved away from Scotland when they were 9, you’ve probably no idea how difficult it is to get tickets to go and see us just now. I’ve been going for over 30 years and it’s NEVER been harder.

You absolutely make some good points there, particularly about us emphasising our positive traditions but it’ll have very little impact on our support and in particular the numbers, in fact I’d go as far to say you contradict yourself when you mention our uniqueness. The EPL has been rammed down our throats for close to two decades now, whilst we (Scottish Football) has gone backwards and yet our demand has went the other way. How do you explain that?

In short. It’s nothing to worry about and whilst I respect your opinion it seems a tad hysterical to me (certainly in keeping with the thread though).

No disrespect meant mate but As someone who moved away from Scotland when they were 9, you’ve probably no idea how difficult it is to get tickets to go and see us just now. I’ve been going for over 30 years and it’s NEVER been harder.

You absolutely make some good points there, particularly about us emphasising our positive traditions but it’ll have very little impact on our support and in particular the numbers, in fact I’d go as far to say you contradict yourself when you mention our uniqueness. The EPL has been rammed down our throats for close to two decades now, whilst we (Scottish Football) has gone backwards and yet our demand has went the other way. How do you explain that?

In short. It’s nothing to worry about and whilst I respect your opinion it seems a tad hysterical to me (certainly in keeping with the thread though).

None taken mate, hysterical certainly wasn't the tone I was going for. I've not had a season ticket since Eck was in charge, I've certainly not got my finger on the pulse of our support. However doesn't the fact that it's hard to get tickets mean that yesterday's game should have attracted a bigger crowd?

If there were 35k in Ibrox yesterday I'm not sure this thread would have any legs.

With regard to our current demand though. Leaving aside Steven Gerrard and the fact we're looking like a much better side, don't you think 2012 and everything after just made us appreciate what we nearly lost and has made us a much more defiant support?

None taken mate, hysterical certainly wasn't the tone I was going for. I've not had a season ticket since Eck was in charge, I've certainly not got my finger on the pulse of our support. However doesn't the fact that it's hard to get tickets mean that yesterday's game should have attracted a bigger crowd?

If there were 35k in Ibrox yesterday I'm not sure this thread would have any legs.

With regard to our current demand though. Leaving aside Steven Gerrard and the fact we're looking like a much better side, don't you think 2012 and everything after just made us appreciate what we nearly lost and has made us a much more defiant support?

Wrong word maybe mate, I just meant it’s a bit of a leap/exaggeration.

And no I don’t think it does. This game was always going to be very poorly attended due to it being the fourth home friendly, on the eve of the new season and how things went last year (Europa League run). Only way it would’ve been a big crowd is if it was against a Big EPL club (or similar).

Liverpool are incredibly popular in Scotland. Totally understandable given the close bond between the club and Scotland and the vast number of Scots who have played often a key role in the club’s success.

Nice post mate .

Was saying to a Scottish fella yesterday about why we love Andy Robertson. He's a boss footie player and that but having that accent back in our team is hard to put into words. As a kid growing up in the late 70's with Kenny , Souness and Hansen was boss . The trio use to have ' Jock Photie ' when we won our usual stuff back then. Scotland also gave us Bill Shankly too. Our leader and our King.

Was a great weekend anyway.

I was only away for two days but hand on heart I'd say I prefered Glasgow to Edinburgh. To keep it simple Edinburgh seems to be stuck up it's own arse a bit like Brighton is . Kin ' ell I got stung for a pint for six quid too .

Rangers "fans" going to watch this when Rangers at Ibrox?

The EPL hype, which I didn't grow to with, really does work. I'm sure you have your reasons that I won't understand. Is it mostly young ones (say 30 and under)?

To think we were the biggest team in the UK in my own youth. You didn't need to go elsewhere to see world class players

Nice post mate .

Was saying to a Scottish fella yesterday about why we love Andy Robertson. He's a boss footie player and that but having that accent back in our team is hard to put into words. As a kid growing up in the late 70's with Kenny , Souness and Hansen was boss . The trio use to have ' Jock Photie ' when we won our usual stuff back then. Scotland also gave us Bill Shankly too. Our leader and our King.

Was a great weekend anyway.

I was only away for two days but hand on heart I'd say I prefered Glasgow to Edinburgh. To keep it simple Edinburgh seems to be stuck up it's own arse a bit like Brighton is . Kin ' ell I got stung for a pint for six quid too .
Yep I, along with most on here, will prefer Glasgow to Edinburgh, not least for the reason you mention.

If you bought your tickets before the Derby game was announced, fair enough mate, but I just don't understand the mentality of people who call themselves Rangers fans but go to watch another British club, especially Liverpool. All you ever see at their games, if MotD is anything to go by, are Celtic scarves. And if you care that much about Liverpool that you'll pay good money to go and see them, don't get offended when Rangers fans get annoyed at reading stuff about their game on what's supposed to be a forum for Rangers fans.
If you bothered to check liverpool are not a Catholic club one of their founding fathers was in the orange order. Septic try and have love in witb everyone. A few half and half scarves does not make them a 'mentally challenged' club

The fact this thread about an anti climax of a friendly is still running tells you the about the diverse views about it amongst Rangers supporters.

As someone who was at the Derby game and has zero interest in Liverpool, apart from an intense dislike of the 19th Century Terrorist left back, I hope everyone who went to Edinburgh had a decent day out and enjoyed themselves.

I personally don't see the threat to Scottish football in general and us in particular.

Our attendances and season ticket numbers are through the roof and never been higher.

There was a unique element to the Liverpool game being in Edinburgh and the attendance proved that.

If they did it on a regular basis, they'd get nowhere near the same attendance, as the novelty value would soon wear off.

I also don't think it affected our attendance.

Our attendance against Blackburn was actually slightly less than the Derby game, so I'd say that those who headed through to Edinburgh don't go to Rangers friendlies anyway.

No big deal.

As they have a large Irish support, every time they score a goal in the Kop End directly behind the goal you will see a Northern Ireland flag raised without fail. Like it or not with the commercialisation of the PL kids have an English club as well as Rangers, I take my boy to Liverpool games when I can and would have taken him to Murrayfield on Sunday if I was able to make it. He will still be at most Rangers games with me when I am not working or with his mates when I am working. Having his other football team 50 miles away was a unique opportunity for some.

Folk can do what they want with their time and money, Rangers didn't have a competitive game so there was nothing lost.

The clubs that will eventually make up the Superleague play all these friendlies abroad to try and recruit fans in those areas. This is always to the detriment of the national league/association in that area, as their prospective fanbase is hollowed out and they see none of the money that these fans spend on football. It's why none of the Asian leagues will ever amount to anything, no matter how rich their working classes become.

For an example closer to home, it's also a reason why Ireland has no decent domestic football league despite having a similar size population to us - everyone in Ireland supports Man Utd or Liverpool. They make money from Irish football fans, not the LOI/FAI. That started long before these friendlies became a thing, but the philosophy is essentially the same.

In my opinion, everyone who cares strongly about Rangers and Scottish football should encourage a boycott of these games and overwhelmingly reject them to protect our club.

Nonsense, the Republic of Ireland doesn't have big football clubs because it isn't even their main sport. The Garlic crowds don't seem to suffer as some like Liverpool or Man Utd. They have small towns/cities which have decent enough crowds for what is on offer, Dublin is divided up amongst too many teams and outwith Dublin they won't have much support.

Rangers and PRFC have huge supports across the whole of Scotland, UK and world and have a city to divide between 2 clubs.

My boy will not care less about Rangers if he gets to go to a Liverpool friendly, wise up.

Any sources for Liverpool league tickets?
I know there is always Chelsea spares on here but never seen Liverpool. Is there any sports travel companies in Scotland that do packages? I know there is some in NI but easier to travel from Scotland when working here
PM you

The game was played at Murrayfield simply because Anfield's pitch is still recovering from the abuse it suffered because Liverpool FC allowed the stadium to be used for Pop concerts in June and July. They had hoped to use Spurs' new ground in London but got knocked back. There was a big turnout of fans from Merseyside and Northern Europe but it was not a good advert for Liverpool FC. All it did was expose how frail they are without their front three. How short they are in overall depth. And how lucky they were last season against Napoli in the quarter final.

The game was played at Murrayfield simply because Anfield's pitch is still recovering from the abuse it suffered because Liverpool FC allowed the stadium to be used for Pop concerts in June and July. They had hoped to use Spurs' new ground in London but got knocked back. There was a big turnout of fans from Merseyside and Northern Europe but it was not a good advert for Liverpool FC. All it did was expose how frail they are without their front three. How short they are in overall depth. And how lucky they were last season against Napoli in the quarter final.

This game was arranged at Murrayfield long before the concerts took place.

If you bothered to check liverpool are not a Catholic club one of their founding fathers was in the orange order. Septic try and have love in witb everyone. A few half and half scarves does not make them a 'mentally challenged' club
I live very close to both Everton and Liverpool grounds and can assure everyone that. There is no sectarian split between the clubs. Everton was the original club and was formed by the Methodist Church. In 1892 there was an argument within the Board/Committee and the club split. Ironically, it was those who wished to retain the Everton name who left and allowed the new club (Liverpool) to continue playing at Anfield while they set up on the other side of Stanley Park four hundred yards away.

The fact this thread about an anti climax of a friendly is still running tells you the about the diverse views about it amongst Rangers supporters.

As someone who was at the Derby game and has zero interest in Liverpool, apart from an intense dislike of the 19th Century Terrorist left back, I hope everyone who went to Edinburgh had a decent day out and enjoyed themselves.

I personally don't see the threat to Scottish football in general and us in particular.

Our attendances and season ticket numbers are through the roof and never been higher.

There was a unique element to the Liverpool game being in Edinburgh and the attendance proved that.

If they did it on a regular basis, they'd get nowhere near the same attendance, as the novelty value would soon wear off.

I also don't think it affected our attendance.

Our attendance against Blackburn was actually slightly less than the Derby game, so I'd say that those who headed through to Edinburgh don't go to Rangers friendlies anyway.

No big deal.

Spot on. This farce of a thread can be locked now.

I’d love to know how many who claim to be Rangers fans, but don’t go to the games have fucked off to Edinburgh at the drop of a hat for an over priced friendly.

Aye! Yer damned tooting I won’t be defending them or any other that sidesteps Rangers for another team.

I will tell you then.

I have a season ticket, this will be around my 10th season with a season ticket. I've been to all competitive home matches so far this season, followed the club home away and in Europe. Liverpool the champions of Europe announce a friendly with a very good Napoli side. I bought a ticket, then a couple of weeks later Rangers announce a friendly. What do you want me to do sell my ticket and cancel my hotel?

You are talking absolute pish which is disrespectful to a lot of fans. I'm a Rangers fan and don't have any other team. This just sounded like a pretty good friendly.

You are honestly making yourself look like a hysterical parody.

I will tell you then.

I have a season ticket, this will be around my 10th season with a season ticket. I've been to all competitive home matches so far this season, followed the club home away and in Europe. Liverpool the champions of Europe announce a friendly with a very good Napoli side. I bought a ticket, then a couple of weeks later Rangers announce a friendly. What do you want me to do sell my ticket and cancel my hotel?

You are talking absolute pish which is disrespectful to a lot of fans. I'm a Rangers fan and don't have any other team. This just sounded like a pretty good friendly.

Hysterical?
You’re the one losing the plot sunshine.

Oh! And re read my post.
The bit about the ones that DON’T go to the games.

I live very close to both Everton and Liverpool grounds and can assure everyone that. There is no sectarian split between the clubs. Everton was the original club and was formed by the Methodist Church. In 1892 there was an argument within the Board/Committee and the club split. Ironically, it was those who wished to retain the Everton name who left and allowed the new club (Liverpool) to continue playing at Anfield while they set up on the other side of Stanley Park four hundred yards away.
Both teams were Protestant.

It is always said that the differences emerged first due to what side of 'Scottie Road' you were on....Everton attracted more Irish RCs, and then this slightly reversed of late when Liverpool became massive in RoI and among Tims up here. Your thoughts as a local?

This post is full of complete shite.

That was always going to happen with the decline of Scottish football, more 'choice' allowed for kids now and the continual EPL/La Liga etc. matches being shown.

Exactly this. The SFA, SPFL etc for years have been negligent in their job in promoting our game. For years we have seen the Scottish game fall away while England just gets bigger and bigger. If the governing bodies seem not to care, then why should it be up to the fans?

Stop talking a load of shite.

Hysterical?
You’re the one losing the plot sunshine.

Oh! And re read my post.
The bit about the ones that DON’T go to the games.

You have consistently said "Rangers fans" only once did you say Rangers fans that don't go to games. Your initial posts were clearly aimed at all Rangers fans.

I've not lost the plot, you are the ones getting uppity about grown adults going about their life.

Settle petal, I'm sure Rangers will survive through this friendly.

How many on here who bought tickets are claiming to be Liverpool fans, or even claim to have any real fondness for them? I'd wager that most who went who are Rangers fans, like me, saw it as an opportunity to see two excellent European sides, one of whom has just won the Champions League, in a location that is near to most of us and easy to get to.

Of course I'm Rangers first and foremost but I also love football, particularly the EPL. Following Rangers home and away means I've never even been down to see a game in England.

Incidentally I've seen plenty of people on here saying they've went down to watch EPL games on days Rangers are playing and never got accused of risking future generations of Rangers fans, strangling the life out of the Scottish game, or starving Rangers financially, or any other needless hysterical shite.

If this was Chelsea there wouldn't be an argument. For the record, I don't have a favourite English side.

I will tell you then.

They already know all this mate. They're surely now either trolling or just ignoring what they're being told to suit their own argument.

Back