Liverpool v Napoli friendly at Murrayfield?

Liverpool playing at Murrayfield Gers playing at The Stadium only one team for me. Honestly only one team for me.

I’d love to know how many who claim to be Rangers fans, but don’t go to the games have fucked off to Edinburgh at the drop of a hat for an over priced friendly.

Aye! Yer damned tooting I won’t be defending them or any other that sidesteps Rangers for another team.
Absolutely nobody who went to that match needs to justify to you or anybody else why they went mate. Certainly wouldn't be me paying 40 odd quid (I think) for a friendly but I wouldn't judge anyone who did or, even worse, question their credentials as a Rangers supporter. This might be news to some people, but friendlies mean absolutely nothing to a lot of supporters. Sure they are great for the next generations and now and again we'll play a glamour team but Derby County and Blackburn? I'll give them a miss if it's all the same to you guys and be there for every competitive game.

Although we think we need to look after scottish football,fans outwith rangers and them think we are bad for scottish football. The old firm are too big for the game up here. We play in a league where 2 clubs get 50+thousand and can outnumber the home fans at away games. Clubs in the spl are getting 4 or 5,000 at home and having to use plastic pitches to get by.
I dont think Liverpool playing a friendly up here will make one bit of difference to our game,which has really changed so much since tv took over, I'm afraid small grounds lying empty is not a good sell. The old firm are on a par fan and ground wise with England's top clubs,but we are where we are

Absolutely nobody who went to that match needs to justify to you or anybody else why they went mate. Certainly wouldn't be me paying 40 odd quid (I think) for a friendly but I wouldn't judge anyone who did or, even worse, question their credentials as a Rangers supporter. This might be news to some people, but friendlies mean absolutely nothing to a lot of supporters. Sure they are great for the next generations and now and again we'll play a glamour team but Derby County and Blackburn? I'll give them a miss if it's all the same to you guys and be there for every competitive game.
Bang on mate,no ones a better supporter than anyone else on here. So time to cut out the bickering.
We all have one thing in common,although many disagreements,but we all are rangers and want them to win before any other team

I’ve not asked for people to justify it although you rather contradict yourself by going on to justify it.

When our club needs all the money it can get, we have fans going to line the pockets of one of the richest clubs in the world, most of them travelling 50 miles or more to do so.
Each to their own, but the ones who went to Ibrox get all my admiration, that’s not hard to understand.
Rangers were never going to have a free weekend so let’s nail that one on the head.

Anyway, so glad their wee team got fucked.

The fact this thread about an anti climax of a friendly is still running tells you the about the diverse views about it amongst Rangers supporters.

As someone who was at the Derby game and has zero interest in Liverpool, apart from an intense dislike of the 19th Century Terrorist left back, I hope everyone who went to Edinburgh had a decent day out and enjoyed themselves.

I personally don't see the threat to Scottish football in general and us in particular.

Our attendances and season ticket numbers are through the roof and never been higher.

There was a unique element to the Liverpool game being in Edinburgh and the attendance proved that.

If they did it on a regular basis, they'd get nowhere near the same attendance, as the novelty value would soon wear off.

I also don't think it affected our attendance.

Our attendance against Blackburn was actually slightly less than the Derby game, so I'd say that those who headed through to Edinburgh don't go to Rangers friendlies anyway.

No big deal.

Exactly this. As I said earlier it’s not like Bears are giving up season tickets to go to Anfield. A one off game, featuring the European Champions and as has been pointed out it’s a club that’s always been hugely popular up here. It was always going to attract huge interest.

It will have ZERO impact on us and our attendances. As far as the UK goes we are just as well supported as the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd, obviously these clubs have bigger clout world wide but I don’t see how one friendly game in Scotland significantly changes that.

Both teams were Protestant.

It is always said that the differences emerged first due to what side of 'Scottie Road' you were on....Everton attracted more Irish RCs, and then this slightly reversed of late when Liverpool became massive in RoI and among Tims up here. Your thoughts as a local?[/QUOTE
My understanding of the 'Everton/RC' link was that it was a myth because in the 1950s Everton appointed Johnny Carey, an ex-Man U player from the 1940s, as manager. He was a Republic of Ireland international and an outstanding player of his time. He signed a few RoI players and that led to the mistaken assumption of the RC link. In addition, the Methodist Church which formed the club was called St Domingo's and that also led people to assume, wrongly, that Everton was started by the RC church. What I have found is that Liverpool have a bigger support outside Liverpool. Everton draw their support more locally but they also have a big support in North Wales. For example, Ian Rush and Mark Hughes were both boyhood Everton fans. Everton fans also display a big banner of Steven Gerrard in full Everton kit as a boy!

Both teams were Protestant.

It is always said that the differences emerged first due to what side of 'Scottie Road' you were on....Everton attracted more Irish RCs, and then this slightly reversed of late when Liverpool became massive in RoI and among Tims up here. Your thoughts as a local?

Liverpool’s rise to the top by the late 70’s also attracted many Catholics within Liverpool itself.

Back