MOTM Poll Liverpool v Rangers - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stop talking sense, please.

Ajax 1 Napoli 6 says it all really.

CL Group stages for a chunk of money for a Scottish club (I think we really needed that this season) or Europa League for competitive football.

Where we are right now is still an upward trajectory.

We've had a worse start than Dinamo Zagreb did in their 'worst ever team in the CL' season.

I can accept losing but we've been utterly fucking horrific this campaign. That was a complete embarrassment tonight. It's not acceptable, despite what anyone says.
Sums it up. Not one of our outfield players has any ballls. I wonder how many passes we failed to complete tonight?

The coaching team don't tell Kent to hit an outside of the foot pass when a simple side foot would have found Barasic or the number of times Davis has given the ball away or Tillman sauntered into a challenge.
Understand what you are saying and some of the decision making on the park is poor but I am talking big picture There seems to be a disconnect between the performance on the park and the coaching staff.

Another shit show.

9 goals cenceded, no goals.

I don't see us scoring nevermind getting a point

We haven't played Tillman in how many weeks but we throw him in at right wing? Insane.

We've had a worse start than Dinamo Zagreb did in their 'worst ever team in the CL' season.

I can accept losing but we've been utterly fucking horrific this campaign. That was a complete embarrassment tonight. It's not acceptable, despite what anyone says.
It looks like Victoria Zhizkov may well steal that award this season.

In the grand scheme, tonight wasn’t the issue. Better teams than us would lose heavier at Anfield.

I’m frustrated that we didn’t commit a little more in an attacking sense. But I couldn’t help but notice the other result in the group tonight. Napoli demolishing Ajax in Amsterdam makes that opening group game look even more horrific for us. I’m not sure the players are over that yet. It has sapped the confidence right out the team in Europe this year.

We probably need 6 points out of the next 9 for a chance at the Europa spot. Lots of hope but I just can’t see it happening. Players don’t look like they have half the belief they did last season in Europe.

Imo Gio is a very negative coach goals in the league prove this, under Gerrard we had a go at anyone we came up against in his time in charge we never lost by more that 2 goals to anyone. I love Steve Davis but he wasn't the man to start last night for me. McGregor was outstanding last night if it wasn't for him it would have been a doing.

So, my two cents…

Better team won there. Can’t argue with that, Diaz had a brilliant game too.

We offered nothing in front of goal. Thought 2-0 flattered us tbh, McGregor stopped that score line being embarrassing.

I thought King (despite the penalty) and Goldson had good games for us tonight.

Matondo and Sakala at least ran in the right direction when they came on which was refreshing after watching 80 minutes of us passing it around our own half.

In a nutshell, the score line flattered us. However, leaving Anfield after a 2-0 Champions League defeat is hardly embarrassing.

I’m trying to stay positive here and saying that we knew the CL would be a huge step up, but we’ll only improve by playing these world class teams.
Have read the usual mentalists on here and social media since the game last night. This post for me sums it up perfectly. Well said @evo14

Depressing garbage.

Not expecting to go toe to toe with them given their budget but %^*& sake let's see some sort of sign that you are up for the challenge and give them a game at least....

Absolutely no point in qualifying for this for 6 damage limitation exercises whilst fleecing the fans the guts of 200 quid for the privelage.

Give me the Europa league any day over this total shite.

Again, the level of nonsense on this thread is off the chart. We are away against a team who are a million miles above us in every regard and who will be around at the end of this tournament, as they very often are.
We got outplayed because they are so much better than us it isn’t even funny.
We may have a chance or something at Ibrox, and let’s see if we can give it a go, but wtaf do you expect us to do? This is almost exactly what we knew would happen in terms of gameplay, if we get lucky they don’t score, if we don’t we lose by 6, end up was an average 2-0. Let’s move on.
I don't think anyone would disagree with this but the problem is that we don't even attempt to play football. Most of our passing is pedestrian and either backwards or sideways. Look at the difference when we had two wide men with page and a willingness to have a go.
Manager and coaches need to get their acts together

Just before Nunez went through for his 1on1 with McGregor first half, Davis lost the ball (out muscled) and within a yard he realised he simply couldnt catch the player or even make an attempt at it. Just completely unable to physically compete in a game like this.

I dont blame Davo at all, he gave what he could, it was just a moment indicative of the entire game and the shambolic deterioration thats been allowed to set-in across this Rangers Team and Squad.

I thought before the game we had a Puncher's chance but we never even looked capable of throwing, never mind landing, one.

In years to come the record will show a 2-0 defeat at Anfield.

Those that watched and remember the game will know things are way way worse than that.

Just another sign of the malaise and gradual decline over the last 12 months

Thought we looked better once Tillman , Davis and Morelos went off , we play far too negative passing across the back line then the long ball which was nearly always lost .
Having said that I would have taken a 2 nil beating before a ball was kicked.
Greegs was brilliant.

Just rewatched the match.

Something tells me we can still go up a notch and I wouldn’t bet against us winning next week.

In fact, I’m sticking $20 on it.

Ajax 1 Napoli 6 says it all really.

CL Group stages for a chunk of money for a Scottish club (I think we really needed that this season) or Europa League for competitive football.

Where we are right now is still an upward trajectory.
100%

Was just going to say similar

Watched the extended highlights there and Ajax got pumped.

Dare I say Bassey looked at sixes and sevens for most of the match as well. He was all over the place.

And I credit a lot of our Europa run to him and Aribo.

There is a huge difference at this level and to be honest we have done ‘well’ with the results we have had.

Becoming sick of this let’s try and defend attitude. We gave up multiple chances and if not for McGregor rolling back the years, would have been a cricket score. Who thinks 3 defenders who have never played competitively together against one of the top sides in world football would be a good idea?

Let’s start playing to a tried and tested system that has actually worked for us. Get on the front foot and entertain us. I’d rather we lost 5-1 to a better team, giving it a go than this pish. Could easily have been 5 or 6- 0 last night with the system we played and not the slightest hint of entertainment in sight, bar the last 10 mins when the game was done.

Another shit show.

9 goals cenceded, no goals.

I don't see us scoring nevermind getting a point

We haven't played Tillman in how many weeks but we throw him in at right wing? Insane.
He wasn't playing as a winger! And as you obviously missed them we had 2 good chances at the end.

Reality sucks. Our reality is that with the team Gio selects and our style of play is to limit the size of defeats, or, grab a draw. In that respect, we left Anfield with a minimal thumping. Going from 0-4, to 0-3 with 10 men, then 0-2 is probably to be viewed as ’best can do’ in circumstances. Sure, as fans we don’t like it, but better than being skelped at home 6-1.

In years to come the record will show a 2-0 defeat at Anfield.

Those that watched and remember the game will know things are way way worse than that.

Just another sign of the malaise and gradual decline over the last 12 months

2 of the 3 games have been training matches for the opposition. We could have easily conceded another few in either of those games.

I don't accept this whole 'step up' argument.

Yes the quality is better, but that doesn't negate the fact we're not even competing or putting up a fight in these matches, nevermind scoring or getting a result.

This is the same Liverpool that Brighton, Man Utd, Crystal Palace, Fulham and Everton have all got a result from in the last couple months. The only team not to score against them this season are us and Bournemouth. That doesn't mean we should be winning the game, but it shouldn't be as men vs boys as it was last night.

Team just weren’t good enough, they defended admirably enough but in forward areas just weren’t at the level required.

Matondo, again lacked fight. Morelos looked exposed, I don’t think players were getting up to support him quickly enough meaning he was lacking in options. Too often (particularly in the second half where we actually got out of our half) moves broke down or slowed up when the we absolutely needed to keep the ball moving in the direction it was going (Jack I think especially stopped the moves turning back). Haven’t seen the penalty again but we can’t gift goals like that, don’t make that challenge and Trent doesn’t score a worldly and we might have had a chance. Mcgregor absolutely outstanding.

McGregor excellent, but a mention for King. Showed that he has the mentality and desire to succeed at this level.

Sadly Tillman proves that quality is nothing without desire.

Kent gives the impression that in his mind, it's all about him. Runs when he wants, covers when he wants, marks when he wants.....such a waste of a talented player.

Parking the bus is fine if you have a plan to counter attack. We did one without the other. Liverpool barely had to get out of 2nd gear. People saying that they were back to their best will get a shock when they drop points in the league again. If we had went at them we would have got something but were 2-0 down before that idea crossed anyone's mind. I hope Gio has seen enough to know how to get at them next week. Their full backs are shocking defensively.

Depressing garbage.

Not expecting to go toe to toe with them given their budget but %^*& sake let's see some sort of sign that you are up for the challenge and give them a game at least....

Absolutely no point in qualifying for this for 6 damage limitation exercises whilst fleecing the fans the guts of 200 quid for the privelage.

Give me the Europa league any day over this total shite.
GVB is a far too a defensive negative manager as soon as the team was announced you knew that Gio wasn't interested in having a go at Liverpool I think the players are sick and tired of GVB's negative football

Lundstram out of next weeks tie? @Valley Bluenose
Hands up from me on this. I swear I read in the UEFA CL Rules that it was three bookings for a suspension in the Qualifying Rounds and only two bookings for a suspension in the Group Stages and later. Just checked again and its THREE bookings required for a suspension in the Group Stages or later. So, no suspension for Lundstram. Yet.

Apologies to all.

Parking the bus is fine if you have a plan to counter attack. We did one without the other. Liverpool barely had to get out of 2nd gear. People saying that they were back to their best will get a shock when they drop points in the league again. If we had went at them we would have got something but were 2-0 down before that idea crossed anyone's mind. I hope Gio has seen enough to know how to get at them next week. Their full backs are shocking defensively.

That's the issue. You can't park the bus for 90 minutes against Liverpool. They will create chances and they will win.

Our whole strategy seems to be around defending with no plan on how we're going to attack (and ironically we're still terrible defensively). You can see that when the centre backs have the ball, they don't seem to know what they've supposed to do with it, hence why it just goes side to side.

You saw it in the Ajax game especially, at times they just looked confused as to why we were just standing off them and letting them do what they want.

Not long back home & first time on since Tuesday pre match.
I wasn't expecting us to go & destroy them, but I wasn't expecting the humping of us that was being predicted. A draw would have been a cracking result.
A 2 nil defeat by a team of a calibre way above us & at home isn't the worst ever.
What has royally fcuked me off was Gios team selection & his guess the formation. I don't think he knows what he was trying to do.
Experimenting with line ups & formations is ok when you're 9 points clear in the league or topping your CL group with games to spare, but not when you're trying to get something crucial.
Secondly, the teams attitude was non existent, it was like they started with a self belief that we'd take nothing from the game so why boher. Pitiful performance from most, Greegs outstanding though & saved us from that predicted gubbing.
On the upside, hotel was decent & the wee break was nice:):rolleyes:

Back