MOTM Poll Liverpool v Rangers - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They are sitting fourth in the league and are nobody’s fools this season.
If we can get close to the dortmund performance then anything is possible, we need to get our front men in that 6 yard box if kent and tav etc can get crosses in, it's been a massive black mark for us compared to other teams over the years. 2 scenarios here for me, either tanked 5-0 with a poor performance or a fantastic draw, can't see a win for us but nothing is off the table, get in their faces with no respect given.

Last edited:
Always a slight chance with the battle of Britain element but gone are the days of 11 Scottish guys v 11 English guys so maybe my hopes can revert to being massive underdogs
Can't honestly see anything but a comfortable win for Liverpool as dropping points to us could really put qualification in jeopardy for them which would be seen as absolute failure even from such a strong group
Always remember Alex Ferguson taking his sheep team to Anfield and getting cuffed 5.0 and saying it would be a learning curve for him and his players
Think that's where i am for all we have been really impressive in the EL previously

Just give it everything and I'll be happy. Would be delighted with any sort of result. Insanely difficult place to try and get a result, but we are playing them at a really good time. Most teams don't get a kick against them at Anfield.

Where did you see that? I've had a look at a few, and they are taking it very seriously. General tone is that they need to start with an experienced side, and that it is a must win game for them.
LFC Reds forum also looked at another couple of forums.

Rangers have absolutely nothing to lose here according to everyone we are already out let's go out and give it all we have and go for them from the off, if we give 100% we are in with a shout chase down every single ball and leave them in no doubt they've been in a CL game against the famous.

Davies with a point to prove!
Kent with a point to prove!
Lunstram Pool fan but wants to impress on his hometown return!
Head says we get beat but Heart says we win 0-1 and live dangerously.
WATP, make us proud!

McGregor
Tav
Goldson
Davies
Barisic
Lundstram
Jack
Arfield
Matondo
Morelos
Kent

Pace on the wings to break and physicality up front to hold the ball up

We can’t afford to play Tillman tonight. In all the big games where we’ve needed commitment and drive , he’s too relaxed and is a man down effectively for me.
I feel that’s more down to him being shunted out wide right in those games, where obviously he isn’t going to be anywhere near as effective.

Play him centrally, in his actual position, and you see a far different player.

Keep it respectable, have a go and leave everything out there.

Stranger things have happened. It's just such a shame we're nowhere near full strength as it always seems to be in these big games.

We can't sit back and watch them pass about us the way Ajax did or it'll be a very very hard night.

Liverpool have struggled monumentally against teams counter attacking them this season.
They've played with a high line and time and again balls into the channels have dragged their CB's all over the place. Trent isn't defending well so Kent could have him on toast if he can get at him. I assume Tsimikas will be at left back, he's probably a bigger threat than Robertson this season IMO, I'd see the case for playing Wright up against him to match his pace.

Where we will do anything from this game is CM, if we can stop Thiago or Henderson dictating play from there, be quick in transitions and keep it tight at the back we might have a chance.

Liverpool have struggled monumentally against teams counter attacking them this season.
They've played with a high line and time and again balls into the channels have dragged their CB's all over the place. Trent isn't defending well so Kent could have him on toast if he can get at him. I assume Tsimikas will be at left back, he's probably a bigger threat than Robertson this season IMO, I'd see the case for playing Wright up against him to match his pace.

Where we will do anything from this game is CM, if we can stop Thiago or Henderson dictating play from there, be quick in transitions and keep it tight at the back we might have a chance.
Kent hasn't had run of the mill SPL defenders on toast for a long time let alone TAA. Really need a massive performance from him he's long overdue it

In with the serious big boys now, as long as we fight for everything and leave it all out on the pitch I’m a happy Bear.

Cmon Rangers!

McGregor
Tav
Goldson
Davies
Barisic
Lundstram
Jack
Arfield
Matondo
Morelos
Kent

Pace on the wings to break and physicality up front to hold the ball up
If we play Alfie we'll be down to 10 men within the hour ... guaranteed. Colak to start for me.

Kent couldnae have beans on toast this season ... he's due us a big game!

Kent hasn't had run of the mill SPL defenders on toast for a long time let alone TAA. Really need a massive performance from him he's long overdue it
I think it's quite commonly known that Kent's best games for us have been in Europe and Old Firms when he's had a bit more space.

Davies with a point to prove!
Kent with a point to prove!
Lunstram Pool fan but wants to impress on his hometown return!
Head says we get beat but Heart says we win 0-1 and live dangerously.
WATP, make us proud!
I think we will concede mate, Liverpool just rarely fail to score but they rarely fail to concede as well

I'm going out on a limb and saying a draw,
it's a scotland v england game
we will be up for it big time
our english players want to prove a point
our scottish players want to beat england
our foreign players want to put themselves on show

Too young to remember but I think Hansen would have been an excellent signing for us and he was right on our doorstep.

Think everything will go smoothly down there, on train now and buzzing for it.

Liverpools next two EPL games are inform Arsenal and Champions City. Liverpool cannot lose these games if they have any ambitions to be Champions. With that in mind it is possible they will play a much changed team tonight. Of course whoever comes in will be determined to make their mark and force their way into this misfiring Liverpool team.

As far as Rangers team selection goes. Does he play Lundstrum in the back line? Sincerely hope not as we miss what he offers in the middle. Do we play the out of form Kamara hoping he raises his game to impress and earn his move? Do we play Colak or Morelos upfront? Personally, for this game, I’d start Morelos as he has something to prove and will be well up for the battle. Usually think they team picks itself but not tonight. Quite a few decisions to be made. Jack or Davis alongside Lundstrum being another

If we can get close to the dortmund performance then anything is possible, we need to get our front men in that 6 yard box if kent and tav etc can get crosses in, it's been a massive black mark for us compared to other teams over the years. 2 scenarios here for me, either tanked 5-0 with a poor performance or a fantastic draw, can't see a win for us but nothing is off the table, get in their faces with no respect given.
Morelos and kent were flying and we still had Aribo and Bassey when we played Dortmund.

This isn’t the same. Tonight is about trying to not lose by an embarrassing scoreline.

As others have said, damage limitation. I’d bite the had off you for a 3/0 defeat and move on.

Play out our skin and we could maybe manage to scrape a draw or narrow defeat I think.

My fear is that the game is done within 15/20 minutes at the moment.

Not sure I'll actually enjoy one minute of this tonight. We've wanted to get to this stage for years but the quality of opposition is pretty intimidating.

Hopefully I'll be more confident once I've sank a few beers.

Mon the Gers, just do it.

We we’re written off before the Leeds Battle of Britain, and we rose to the occasion and won the day.

More of the same tonight please.

This thread is even more pessimistic than prior to Dortmund away last season. Brighton just went close to knocking the scousers off. Would we be shitting ourselves if we were playing Brighton? Rangers to win by two goals to one.

Morelos and kent were flying and we still had Aribo and Bassey when we played Dortmund.

This isn’t the same. Tonight is about trying to not lose by an embarrassing scoreline.

As others have said, damage limitation. I’d bite the had off you for a 3/0 defeat and move on.

Was the chat before the Dortmund game we've got Kent and Morelos flying and Bassey, Aribo in our team?

This thread is even more pessimistic than prior to Dortmund away last season. Brighton just went close to knocking the scousers off. Would we be shitting ourselves if we were playing Brighton? Rangers to win by two goals to one.
Brighton are 4th in the league and can go joint 3rd with Spurs if they win their game in hand. They would play us off the pitch.

That said, anything can happen in a one off game but if we concede an early goal it could be a long night.

Was the chat before the Dortmund game we've got Kent and Morelos flying and Bassey, Aribo in our team?
Did we have them yes or no? I’m not the one comparing the two matches as if they are in any way the same. We aren’t as good as we were last season. And we aren’t playing Dortmund in the Europa league we are playing Liverpool in the champions league at anfield.

Not feeling good about tonight. I just think defensively we are really slack particularly at set pieces. I think they have too much talent not to take advantage of that. Even against Hearts we gave up some very good chances especially in the first half but because they are shite they didn't take them.

Especially Van Dijk and Matip at Corners.

That is my big concern.

I think just now on both wings we have the ability to cause issues, I think Kent if he really hits some form tonight he could give TTA a very torrid time and Tsimikas on the left could get a torrid time because if we play Matondo he will get the space to run because those two play so high up.

Liverpool have been like us this season starting games very slow, conceding sloppy goals.

So for us to have any chance we need to start fast, go for the jugular, hopefully get an early goal or two.

We we’re written off before the Leeds Battle of Britain, and we rose to the occasion and won the day.

More of the same tonight please.

Was at the Ibrox game.

30 years ago. We had players like a John Brown, Andy Goram , Richard Gough, Durrant, Hateley and McCoist. Bona Fidey Rangers legends who took us to within 1 game of the champions league final that year and won the treble.

Not remotely the same as now. I don’t understand these weird comparisons that have zero bearing whatsoever on tonight’s match.

You're right to an extent. We're far far weaker physically this season and that's an issue. Defensively really weak although I'm more confident without the back 4 of Sands, Goldson Tav and Barisic who have been playing when we've been getting absolutely hammered this season. I expect us defensively to be a bit stronger. We don't have Morelos at his peak, Kent certainly isn't at his peak and we've zero threat from the right wing as well. Our central midfielders lack creativity and goals as well.

We're also not really threatening from set plays and in fact we're weak in that department this season. We're totally unprepared for this level and my thoughts are this lies squarely with the board for not bringing in quality after the PSV game to help us compete with these teams.

We need to start Morelos as he can either have a stinker or he can create something out of nothing. Colak needs service and we won't be providing that tonight.

I do think we may struggle at corners tonight, Matip & VVD seem to be two of the best around in that department.

We only really have Goldson & Alfie who you’d feel are good defensively from corners. One of whom, is about 5’10.

I’m not quite saying tonight is a write off, but if we just don’t get embarrassed and get minutes into the legs of Alfie, Davies or whoever else then I’m content with that.

If we'd got anything from the first 2 games I'd be proper buzzing for this.

As it is, I'll be watching through my fingers I think.

Shaping up like the 0-3 Man Utd in 2003

Very happy to be proved wrong mind

They'll no doubt exploit our weakness at corners and free kicks. Can't see past a pretty heavy defeat but %^*& it, it's what we knew when we qualified :)

Going completely against the grain here because, well, why the hell not?

0-1 Rangers. Kent to score the same type of goal from the weekend around the 75th minute.

Oh how I would love to come on here later and quote myself!

Going on their league form so far this season anything is possible.
Having said that it would seem unlikely.

I doubt we have any chance of winning on their patch and if we do lose it must not put us off from playing our best in the SPL.
For me this year it is vital we win the league. Having consolidated the finances for this year the money from a place in the CL next season would allow us to really move forward and go well ahead of the scum.
Providing we do our best then we can not ask for more no matter the result.

Back