Liverpool V West Brom

crying-fan.gif

That was the chance

Agree Superangers, Foster has won that. He was excellent

Liverpool had more of the game but they defended poorly and only Salah of the front 3 really was on it, despite Firmino’s good finish. West Brom’s equaliser just after Firmino’s strike really affected Liverpool.

That was the chance

Agree Superrangers, Foster has won that. He was excellent
Van Dijk was up front for 30 seconds and almost scored. I don't know why he was up there 15 minutes earlier. West Brom had put an injured player up front by then so weren't any threat going forward and Evans was clearly struggling.

Of course but that merely strengthens the view that the sides with the biggest budgets are normally there or thereabouts. Even now and then, you get a Leicester scenario but normally the sides that spend the most aren’t far away when the prizes are handed out.
Conte won Chelsea the league last year though but in grneral agreed

That is simply not true. They have just come off their longest unbeaten run in 20 years and are in the last 16 of the CL.

They have a far better squad than that which Rodgers assembled.

Liverpool’s spending is far less than the three sides above them, which makes progress harder.

Nice finish from Salah.

Never knew that.

Still looks like they're just starting their longest beaten run in 20 years now :D

Liverpool has some really good players but they seem to play individually rather as part of a team,tactically the defence is a joke.

Liverpool has some really good players but they seem to play individually rather as part of a team,tactically the defence is a joke.
Some of the link up play of the front three is incredible, although Salah does like to shoot.

Defensively they were poor tonight. The first goal was a cracking hit but the second and third were poor goals to lose.

Spurs made a half decent tilt for a bit last season. Their form meant Chelsea had to keep up theirs
Yeah for a bit perhaps but they fell away in the end. It’s been a few years since the last really good title fight, ironically the one Liverpool threw away probably. The Leicester one, Spurs were within a couple of games of but ultimately lost out with 3 to go. It never felt like Spurs would win it.

An absolute shocker by Liverpool, being put out at home to West Brom, last year Wolves at the same stage, and West Ham the year before that also at the 4th round. You think that they / Klopp really need a trophy if the want to really kick on.

W
Someone in work was asking me about the NFL the other week and came onto how long a game lasts.

"60 minutes, split into 4 quarters."

"Oh, only an hour. That's quite quick."

"No, the match takes about 3 hours from start to finish."

"How does it take so long?"

"Well..........."
The clock stops every time the game stops in the NFL. They micro-manage time. If that were applied to football you’d see at least two hour games. The big problem with NA sports is they ram an advert in at every opportunity. In the NFL I believe broadcasters even have a say in when the they show an ad once a quarter or something like that

An absolute shocker by Liverpool, being put out at home to West Brom, last year Wolves at the same stage, and West Ham the year before that also at the 4th round. You think that they / Klopp really need a trophy if the want to really kick on.
I think CL money and participation is more important to their growth plans at this stage.

Yeah for a bit perhaps but they fell away in the end. It’s been a few years since the last really good title fight, ironically the one Liverpool threw away probably. The Leicester one, Spurs were within a couple of games of but ultimately lost out with 3 to go. It never felt like Spurs would win it.
Chelsea either won it or fucked it for spurs or liverpool ;)

I initially thought putting a ‘cap’ on the number of challenges/reviews could be a solution as well but that just opens it up to people gaming the system to kill the momentum of the opposition if it’s at the behest of the coaches imo.
I think the point that got lost today is that VAR is only supposed to be used when there’s a “clear and obvious error” made. It’s not supposed to be used for every 50/50 call

I think CL money and participation is more important to their growth plans at this stage.

The same was said about Arsenal a few years back mate. Before you know it it was all about 8 years without a trophy, 9 years without a trophy etc. Liverpool are already at 6 years, which was a Carling Cup win vs Championship side Cardiff.

I guess you know what I’m going to say here.
I cannot forgive the love-in with the septic support.
Despite the denials from Liverpool based bears that this is not the case, it’s been evident too often.
It really is a one way street but it does make it hard for me to hear YNWA, despite it being Liverpool’s song.

The same was said about Arsenal a few years back mate. Before you know it it was all about 8 years without a trophy, 9 years without a trophy etc. Liverpool are already at 6 years, which was a Carling Cup win vs Championship side Cardiff.
I know where you are coming from and it is important to win trophies but the CL is what will attract players, not the F.A. or League Cups.

Liverpool are so frustrating. They go from being unplayable and an attacking force on a par with any in football, to dropping silly points or losing cup games they should be winning.

I know where you are coming from and it is important to win trophies but the CL is what will attract players, not the F.A. or League Cups.

The thing is, winning breeds winning. There's already this stigma over Klopp in recent cup competitions. You don't want to breed a mentality which makes these results acceptable. It might take a trophy win to keep Klopp in a job the next couple of years.

Liverpool are so frustrating. They go from being unplayable and an attacking force on a par with any in football, to dropping silly points or losing cup games they should be winning.
There is a mentality issue. They crumble too easily and are far too error prone at the back. A new keeper will help but when you play the way Liverpool do, it’s vital that your midfield support the fullbacks when required. The second goal tonight was a classic ‘not tracking the runner.’

The thing is, winning breeds winning. There's already this stigma over Klopp in recent cup competitions. You don't want to breed a mentality which makes these results acceptable. It might take a trophy win to keep Klopp in a job the next couple of years.
True. Losing the finals in his first season was poor.

W

The clock stops every time the game stops in the NFL. They micro-manage time. If that were applied to football you’d see at least two hour games. The big problem with NA sports is they ram an advert in at every opportunity. In the NFL I believe broadcasters even have a say in when the they show an ad once a quarter or something like that

The clock doesn't stop every time the game stops, it keeps running on a run play or a completed catch with the player tackles in bounds, 40 seconds to get the next play off or you need to take a time out/spike the ball (loss of down) to avoid the penalty

Clock management is an integral part of the game and does make for excitement

Re the stoppages, you don't notice it much at a live game as there is plenty going on and you can drink and have a laugh

Wouldn't want it in football all the same, I'm really going off the idea of VAR, in theory it's a great idea, it seems like it's a massive let down in practice

You cannot deny we would have more points in the league this season if it were in use though

The clock doesn't stop every time the game stops, it keeps running on a run play or a completed catch with the player tackles in bounds, 40 seconds to get the next play off or you need to take a time out/spike the ball (loss of down) to avoid the penalty

Clock management is an integral part of the game and does make for excitement

Re the stoppages, you don't notice it much at a live game as there is plenty going on and you can drink and have a laugh

Wouldn't want it in football all the same, I'm really going off the idea of VAR, in theory it's a great idea, it seems like it's a massive let down in practice

You cannot deny we would have more points in the league this season if it were in use though
I am a huge fan of the NFL although the whole VAR thing is often redundant due to the change to what constitutes a pass and the sheer number of bodies that sometimes cover the ball or prevent a clear view.

Not sure about your point about the difference of being at the game vs watching on tv. I sometimes think (I have been to lots of games here and in the US) that in the stadium the gaps are a bit harder. I think it is different if it’s warm and not Baltic and also if you follow one of the sides.

Well done WB.Always nice to see the the bin dippers beat but i must say that the VAR is a load of fu cking shite.

This var stuff is utter nonsense. Goal line technology is as far as it needs to go. Can you imagine var at a filth match. It would last longer than a Gridiron game until they got what they wanted.

I am a huge fan of the NFL although the whole VAR thing is often redundant due to the change to what constitutes a pass and the sheer number of bodies that sometimes cover the ball or prevent a clear view.

Not sure about your point about the difference of being at the game vs watching on tv. I sometimes think (I have been to lots of games here and in the US) that in the stadium the gaps are a bit harder. I think it is different if it’s warm and not Baltic and also if you follow one of the sides.

It was more a response to tottie beck saying about the adverts, and commercial time outs etc.

I don't want to see football go down the NFL road where every scoring play is reviewed, it would suck the intensity out of the game for me. You will never beat the euphoria of a goal scored in sport, to taint those celebrations by having to wait for a review would be beyond criminal IMO

I like the idea of the challenges by managers, it would stop the players constantly asking the referee for a review for nothing challenges

This var stuff is utter nonsense. Goal line technology is as far as it needs to go. Can you imagine var at a filth match. It would last longer than a Gridiron game until they got what they wanted.

I am a fan, although tonight it took too long. They also failed to give the West Brom third goal offside, despite three instances of offside.

There will be teething problems but hopefully it improves.

It was more a response to tottie beck saying about the adverts, and commercial time outs etc.

I don't want to see football go down the NFL road where every scoring play is reviewed, it would suck the intensity out of the game for me. You will never beat the euphoria of a goal scored in sport, to taint those celebrations by having to wait for a review would be beyond criminal IMO

I like the idea of the challenges by managers, it would stop the players constantly asking the referee for a review for nothing challenges

Most goals can be reviewed in one replay, while the players are still celebrating.

The whole challenges thing is not a good idea I feel. What decisions would you be able to review? Throw-ins? Free kicks? Incidents where nothing has actually occurred? Teams would use it to break up games or relieve pressure. Between that and subs, second halfs would be a nightmare.

Good to see.
To think I used to love Liverpool.
Me too. It must've been about 1966 when Typhoo Tea brought out an offer where you could send away for a rosette of your favourite team when you'd collected enough used packets. My dad sent for the Rangers one and being a logical 7 year old, since my dad was getting ours, I sent away for the Liverpool one. I was chuffed as feck to have that rosette when it arrived. We'll, that was 50 years ago but my liking for Liverpool began to deteriorate in the early Eighties when the their love-in with the mentally challengeds started. Now, I don't really care for them at all, though I respect them as a club.

I think the point that got lost today is that VAR is only supposed to be used when there’s a “clear and obvious error” made. It’s not supposed to be used for every 50/50 call
This can't be said enough. I had the impression that every contentious decision was likely to be referred to "Darth VAR".

Back