Liverpool vs Leipzig Champions League round of 16 second leg to be played in Budapest

rangeral

UEFA can confirm that the UEFA Champions League round of 16 second leg between Liverpool and Leipzig will now be played at the Puskás Aréna in Budapest. The date of the match (Wednesday 10 March) and the kick-off time (21:00 CET) will remain the same.

UEFA would like to express its gratitude to Liverpool and Leipzig for their support and close cooperation, as well as the Hungarian Football Federation (MLSZ) for its assistance and agreeing to stage the match.

Both legs played in the same stadium? Kinda daft having away goals in play.

Obviously happens when Milan play Inter in Europe but that's different as both are at their actual homes with home/away fan splits in play.

This is basically the same random, empty stadium twice with the order you came out the hat in determining whether your goals are away goals or not.

Both legs played in the same stadium? Kinda daft having away goals in play.

Obviously happens when Milan play Inter in Europe but that's different as both are at their actual homes with home/away fan splits in play.

This is basically the same random, empty stadium twice with the order you came out the hat in determining whether your goals are away goals or not.
Makes perfect sense to me to play the same rules everyone is.

Makes perfect sense to me to play the same rules everyone is.

Aye obviously it's the rules mate.

But the rules were changed last year due to covid with some teams playing two leg ties and others playing singles in the Europa last 16.

I'm not advocating anything happening. Just saying it's all a bit farcical.

Aye obviously it's the rules mate.

But the rules were changed last year due to covid with some teams playing two leg ties and others playing singles in the Europa last 16.

I'm not advocating anything happening. Just saying it's all a bit farcical.
Changing week by week at the end of the day, UEFA are crap at a lot of things but I don't think they could avoid these situations - just bad luck for the nation meant to be at home really. Could easy have had 1 legged ties ending up like this. I am glad these competitions are running than not myself.

Why can’t this go ahead at Anfield?

Liverpool can confirm the Champions League last-16, second-leg tie with RB Leipzig will be played in Budapest.

Puskas Arena in the Hungarian capital will host the fixture, the same venue the teams contested the first meeting at on February 16.
COVID-19 regulations in Germany have prevented Leipzig from travelling to the United Kingdom to play the match at Anfield as planned.
The Reds, who hold a 2-0 lead from the first leg thanks to goals from Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane, will be classed as the ‘home’ club for the game, which remains scheduled for Wednesday March 10, kicking off at 8pm GMT.

Changing week by week at the end of the day, UEFA are crap at a lot of things but I don't think they could avoid these situations - just bad luck for the nation meant to be at home really. Could easy have had 1 legged ties ending up like this. I am glad these competitions are running than not myself.

Oh aye mate. I'm not saying anything should be changed. Just think it's mental that Leipzig could win this one 3-1* and they'd go through on away goals when game was played in same stadium in a neutral country.

*Sure first leg was 2-0 Liverpool.

Liverpool can confirm the Champions League last-16, second-leg tie with RB Leipzig will be played in Budapest.

Puskas Arena in the Hungarian capital will host the fixture, the same venue the teams contested the first meeting at on February 16.
COVID-19 regulations in Germany have prevented Leipzig from travelling to the United Kingdom to play the match at Anfield as planned.
The Reds, who hold a 2-0 lead from the first leg thanks to goals from Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane, will be classed as the ‘home’ club for the game, which remains scheduled for Wednesday March 10, kicking off at 8pm GMT.
Surely if the Germans aren't allowed to travel that's on them? Home leg should be 3-0 Liverpool.

Not that I want to give the SNP any ideas.

Should have been one legged affairs again. I suppose it still can be from the last 8 onwards.

Surely if the Germans aren't allowed to travel that's on them? Home leg should be 3-0 Liverpool.

Not that I want to give the SNP any ideas.
They are allowed to travel the issue is getting back in Germany from the England

In the 1st leg Liverpool couldn't travel to Germany

UEFA have allowed neutral venues as a solution

They are allowed to travel the issue is getting back in Germany from the England

Be a laugh if they had to move the Final. Say it is Liverpool v Man City in Istanbul.

So instead of one team travelling it makes more sense to make both teams. Entire situation is a farce. If your government won't exempt elite footballers from their pishy rules they should be out the competition.

So instead of one team travelling it makes more sense to make both teams. Entire situation is a farce. If your government won't exempt elite footballers from their pishy rules they should be out the competition.
If there is exemptions then so be it if not is not anyone's fault trying to protect the public health of that country

Nobody should above that

If there is exemptions then so be it if not is not anyone's fault trying to protect the public health of that country

Nobody should above that
How does letting a club fly to Hungary to play against an English team have any less risk than letting one English team into your country.

It's a farce.

How does letting a club fly to Hungary to play against an English team have any less risk than letting one English team into your country.

It's a farce.
It is just the way each country's has to handle it , farce or not

Prague is in Lockdown at moment but to date no issue on us travelling there

Molde are playing outside of Norway currently for the European home legs while Norway are playing in Spain later this month due to Norway having a closed border

Back