Liverpool want 12 million for Kent

The board have predicted ongoing losses, you must know that includes season ticket money.

"This season, a record number of season tickets were sold and it would be remarkable if we could again hit that number as we lay the foundations for what we hope will be the season which sees Rangers triumphant again. Your Board is committed to providing further funding and we are also asking for supporters’ help through renewing season tickets, which will increase in cost by only 5%. We feel this is not an excessive increase and every fan should know that the season-ticket revenue will solely go towards the first-team squad."

I agree, I think there will be another loan.

However if someone meets Liverpool's valuation and offers him EPL type wages it would be as near as makes no difference impossible to keep him.
True. You'd like to think he would reject more money to have a real chance of silverware and Europe with us. Very few footballers like that these days. Fingers crossed he is one of them

Moments of brilliance but it’s not worth it for us to pay that. Good luck son, you’ll always have a wee place in our hearts!

"This season, a record number of season tickets were sold and it would be remarkable if we could again hit that number as we lay the foundations for what we hope will be the season which sees Rangers triumphant again. Your Board is committed to providing further funding and we are also asking for supporters’ help through renewing season tickets, which will increase in cost by only 5%. We feel this is not an excessive increase and every fan should know that the season-ticket revenue will solely go towards the first-team squad."
That includes paying their wages.

Do you think that means circa £20m going into a transfer kitty?

This is purely hypothetical, but say we managed to get £18m for Morelos. Would you be happy with us spending £12m for Kent?

I think I would to be honest.

RK is a very good player as it stands and has so much potential to be a GREAT player that could see us make a 100% profit down the line. He's also a zero risk signing that slots seemlessly back into the side next season.

All hypothetical of course, but not completely out of the realms of possibility.
It would be fucking madness if we spent £12 million on any player never mind Ryan Kent.

If we could get 3/4 top quality players I could see us spending £12 million but no way would we put all our eggs in one Basket.

You may be right but you can't not sign a player because he might get injured that's just a daft way of thinking.

My scenario was hypothetical anyway in a situation where we've received a huge amount of money for Morelos.

Will be interesting to see what happens this summer either way.

Thinking we’ll spend £12m on one player is kinda ludicrous to be honest.

Heard a wee whisper that the Kent deal is almost done at £5M but Liverpool are looking for a 20% sell on fee. Would be happy at that to be honest.
At twelve million nothing’s happening and quite frankly he’s not got twelve million worth of contribution from his career so far. Five million and now we have a realistic scenario but still a lot obviously for Rangers. But if Morelos moves on or is going to move on and it looks like he is, then this becomes a goer for sure. The one thing that could scupper it at that kind of cost is another team coming in with another bid. Hopefully it’s at a stage where Liverpool wouldn’t back out of it if what is posted above is true.

Regarding his contribution, there are a couple of ten minute or so long videos of the highlights from the Celtic pasting. I think one is the SPFL one but not sure. Watch how many of our attacks have him involved in a key role. It seemed to me he was involved in almost all of them. Not worth twelve but definitely worth five and real value in my opinion is probably somewhere in the middle of those two numbers.

Yes, paying the wages etc.

The bulk of the income is from season tickets, the bulk of the expenses is money which goes out on the first team squad I would have thought.

Do you genuinely believe that the season ticket money is all going to be spent on bringing in new players.

True. You'd like to think he would reject more money to have a real chance of silverware and Europe with us. Very few footballers like that these days. Fingers crossed he is one of them

I agree, however EPL money can be mental. Five or ten times what he would be getting paid here potentially.

How does that conversation work?

“Hi Jürgen, can we borrow Ryan Kent for a season? But we will only take him if you agree to loan him if you also agree to sell him for £3m regardless of how well he does, or £500k if he’s šhite....”

I’m not sure any business would accept that type of agreement

It worked for eintracht who took Luka jovic on loan for 2 seasons from benfica, agreed a 6million purchase price at anytime which they activated a month ago, and are now a out to sell him to real Madrid for 55million quid.

That's how it works

How does that conversation work?

“Hi Jürgen, can we borrow Ryan Kent for a season? But we will only take him if you agree to loan him if you also agree to sell him for £3m regardless of how well he does, or £500k if he’s šhite....”

I’m not sure any business would accept that type of agreement
Wouldn't be a chat with the manager. Should be the club that arrange the fee for possible sale if the player meets requirements.

If you heard the whisper from anywhere remotely unreliable you should receive a ban

Aye very good. It's a football forum where people share rumours and info that they've heard. The person that told me this also told me Hastie and Stewart were targets before the stories broke. Granted it might be a lot of shite, but to say I should get a ban is bang out of order. Tell you what, lets all log in to the bear pit and say phuck all unless the info is 100%. That will make the board more interesting.

One of the promoted teams will pay that type of money and Fulham were also interested and will use some of the Mitrovic money to get him.

I would have been happy if we looked to pay £5-6m for him but £12mis way too big a risk to take. One hammer thrower tackle and it's £12m sitting on the sidelines for a year.

The fact it’s a risk is totally irrelevant. Our summer budget is probably considerably less than that figure never mind spending above £10 million on one player!

£4 million is a big transfer fee for us these days and we expect a high standard of player for less than that!

We can’t go above 6/7m.

Even then we are pushing the boat out.

It will be gutting not seeing him next season - he’s brought such excitement.

Wouldn't be a chat with the manager. Should be the club that arrange the fee for possible sale if the player meets requirements.

In fairness that was me being flippant as I have no idea who their head of recruitment is or who owns them theses days.

It worked for eintracht who took Luka jovic on loan for 2 seasons from benfica, agreed a 6million purchase price at anytime which they activated a month ago, and are now a out to sell him to real Madrid for 55million quid.

That's how it works

It would make sense if the sale fee was requested by the seller but not the buyer.

Perhaps Benfica didn’t expect much from the player? Like Mourinho and De Bruyne?

It just seems really daft for a seller to commit to a low fee when they have no idea how the player will improve in that period.

This is purely hypothetical, but say we managed to get £18m for Morelos. Would you be happy with us spending £12m for Kent?

RK is a very good player as it stands and has so much potential to be a GREAT player that could see us make a 100% profit down the line. He's also a zero risk signing that slots seemlessly back into the side next season.

All hypothetical of course, but not completely out of the realms of possibility.
They can %^*& off with £12m no matter how much we get for Morelos.

If we're spending £12m on anyone, I'd expect it to be of much higher quality than Ryan Kent (not a dig against Kent in the slightest). But realistically spending that 12m on 3-4 players is much wiser.

The £5.5M that was being touted was a hard pill to swallow as it is but I bought into it because Kent has proven himself in this league and at Rangers let alone £12M

No, that would be Madness.
You'd have cashed in on Morelos, spent the money and be weaker as a result.

If we had 12M to spend on one player, I suspect we'd take the risk on someone more established. A shame, but both teams and the player have benefited from the loan and it may pave the way for more.

Thanks for this year Ryan, and particularly the memorable performances against the scum.

It's not what you want that matters though is it?

Dave King has always maintained that any transfer fees we receive will be invested back in the team.

If we were to get £18 million for Morelos, do you not think Gerrard would be allowed to spend it as he sees fit? If he wanted to use £12m of it on one player do you think the board would veto it? I don't (unless maybe if there was no potential sell on value for said player, which in this scenario, isn't the case).
Why would we spend 12m on one player who already played with us this season plus lose our main goalscorer leaving next to nothing to strengthen the rest of the team? It would be madness as we'd be no closer to winning the title doing this.

Why would we spend 12m on one player who already played with us this season plus lose our main goalscorer leaving next to nothing to strengthen the rest of the team? It would be madness as we'd be no closer to winning the title doing this.
I like Kent but I don't rate him worth a fee over 3 million.
He is still mostly potential and very raw.
He has had a season to improve his final ball and finishing and did so in small increments rather than strides.
I would be wary of spending a lot of money on him.

I like Kent but I don't rate him worth a fee over 3 million.
He is still mostly potential and very raw.
He has had a season to improve his final ball and finishing and did so in small increments rather than strides.
I would be wary of spending a lot of money on him.
We're never going to spend 12 million, 5 million max and that's pushing it

Exactly my thoughts.

You could buy a more technically gifter winger in their prime with more end product for 12m in Spain or Germany. I just dont understand the people who still want to pay 12m for him if we sell Morelos. That Robert skov who plays in Denmark has been rumoured to be going to likes of real for that price

£2-3m at a push ,Kent is a very decent player but he is still young and a bit raw.

His end product needs to improve , not to say that it won't but paying crazy English type money for him at present should not be on the agenda.

If Morelos goes we need to spend the money on some ready made quality , sensible money for Kent could be included in that.

Last edited:
It would make sense if the sale fee was requested by the seller but not the buyer.

Perhaps Benfica didn’t expect much from the player? Like Mourinho and De Bruyne?

It just seems really daft for a seller to commit to a low fee when they have no idea how the player will improve in that period.

It's agreed by both parties at the start

We've had it with a few loanees where we've had an option to purchase for a set amount.

Back