Livi coin thrower

Coatbridge Chancellor

Banned for two years, fined £900.

A football fan who threw a coin at a linesman during a match has been fined £900 and banned from football matches for two years.

Stuart McGaughay hit assistant referee Calum Spence on the head, causing a 5mm cut to the back of his head.

McGaughay was also banned from watching games in pubs and other commercial premises.

The incident happened at the Rangers v Livingston game on 13 September at the Tony Macaroni Arena in West Lothian.

The 30-year-old's attack was caught on live TV by cameras filming the game.

After he pled guilty at Livingston Sheriff Court on Thursday, it emerged that he handed himself in to police shortly after the incident - admitting he was the culprit.

When charged, the Rangers fan replied: "I didn't mean it. There was no intention, but I understand."

Bleeding
Depute fiscal Kat Craig said the linesman had his back to the crowd of Rangers supporters during the match when he felt something strike the back of his head.

He touched the spot where the object had struck him and realised he was bleeding.

He suffered a 5mm cut to the back of his head but did not require medical treatment.

TV viewers watching the game saw the linesman appear to stumble before clutching the back of his head in pain.

Referee Craig Thomson then halted play to allow for treatment on the sidelines.

Donna Maitland, defending, told the court McGaughay, of Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, had lost his job as a delivery driver with a pharmaceutical company because of the court case but had since found a temporary post and was planning to work as a labourer offshore on an overseas contract.

She said: "He'd be in a position to pay a financial penalty and compensation at £20 a week. I don't think a football banning order is strictly necessary."

'Serious incident'
Sheriff Peter Hammond fined McGaughay £900, saying the fine would have been £1,200 if he had been found guilty after trial.

He also made McGaughay the subject to a football banning order for two years, not only barring him from any live football match in the UK and Europe but also preventing him from watching games in pubs and other commercial premises.

He said: "This was a serious incident of disorder at a major sporting fixture which not only was an assault on the official concerned but also incidents of this kind are a particular concern because of the effect they have on others and the propensity to cause disorder.

"It's a matter the court takes seriously, but I take into account you have no previous convictions. I am going to deal with this by imposing on you a financial penalty, but it will be a substantial financial penalty to reflect the seriousness of the matter."

Should maybe consider himself lucky. One change I'd make to the law in these cases is the victim gets the cash, not the legal system.

Punter at Celtic Park can be expecting the same after Salzburg player was hit with object tonight.....

Wonder when the Police will find the coin thrower at the mentally challenged game tonight?

I bet they will be on same task force that threw the lighter at Fernando and still be looking a decade later

BT Sport said very little of the incident. Another sweep sweep job

Fair enough , but ....
What about the poets that , 'bottled' two kids on the way to games and the elusive lighter thrower at the piggery ?
:mad:

The way bears are persecuted, could have been worse.
No where near enough of a punishment. This guy is a disgrace and doesn’t live up to the expectations set by our forefathers.
We are Rangers, that behaviour is Celtic scum behaviour we are better than that and always will be.

A fan who entered the field of play during a Champions League match and slapped the goalkeeper received 120 hours community service, no fine and no banning order.

I suppose the fine compares to the community service but the banning orders don't.

Banned for 2 years by the club. Lives in rutherglen.

An Aberdeen fan who struck Hearts player James Dunne with a media microphone has been banned from attending football matches for six months.

Shane Bell, from Cove, launched the missile from the stands at Tynecastle as the sides met in Edinburgh on October 20.

The 47-year-old was also fined £1,000 after he pled guilty to culpably and recklessly throwing a microphone, which struck the Jambos’ centre-half, during an appearance at Edinburgh Sheriff Court.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...s-for-striking-hearts-player-with-microphone/

Just seen on ssn one of the Salzburg players were hit with a coin tonight...bet there's not a peep about it in the papers.

To be honest it's hard to sympathise with him, was a stupid thing to do somebody is going to lose an eye if this coin throwing continues.

Back