Livingston closing in on a loan move for Rangers youngster Ben Williamson

Bonnyloyal

Livingston are closing in on a loan move for Rangers youngster Ben Williamson.

The Scotland under-21 star is set to be sent out to Livi to get top-level experience.

The 19-year-old had a successful loan spell at Arbroath last season.

Rangers sporting director Ross Wilson is now looking to get Williamson more experience at a higher level again.

Livi has history with Rangers.

Keeper Robby McCrorie on-loan from the Scottish champions.

McCrorie forced his way into the Scotland squad in his time with the Lions.

The more games in the top league we can get our youngsters playing the better.
Wonder what the plans for Kennedy and Mcpake will be for next season.

I should probably keep up to speed a bit more. What position does he play?

One to watch

i think Motherwell could be a good match for him and / or Kelly especially since Allan Campbell is now going South

Would be great for him to jump straight to a top 6 PL team at 19. Doesn’t seem to happen much with us for someone that age?

As a side I wonder what the plan with McCrorrie is this coming season. If there is any chance of him coming into the side I think he needs a good successful loan.

I've said this on other threads, but Williamson has impressed me any time I've seen him play. Really goes under the radar with regards reputation and discussion but I think he has a great chance.

As an aside, Livingston have brought in Adam Lewis on loan from Liverpool this summer as well so Martindale must want more of a youthful feel to the midfield.

Shame about the pitch and perhaps not the best fit football style wise, great move regardless. We should be trying to get the likes of McPake and Kennedy similar moves if possible and see how they handle the league.

Would be great for him to jump straight to a top 6 PL team at 19. Doesn’t seem to happen much with us for someone that age?

As a side I wonder what the plan with McCrorrie is this coming season. If there is any chance of him coming into the side I think he needs a good successful loan.
I think next season will be McCrorie's last chance to shine on loan. I get that goalies have time on their side, but he will be 24 at the end of next season. If we don't feel he is ready to be #2 by that stage then I think we should move him on for the good of his career.

I'd rather our lads went to English League 1 and fought for something than go to dogshit like Livi. Hope its worthwhile for the lad.

I’d rather he went somewhere like County or St Johnstone to be honest, if they were open to it of course.

Looking forward to seeing how the lad does in the top flight regardless, very exciting player.
Only down side is the pitch.
Top six side, should see both sides of the game.
Can’t play against us, so weakens our opponent against us.
Great opportunity for him, and us.
Hopefully, he won’t be the only young player who gets this chance.

I do Grigo.

He's an athletic box to box midfielder who can score goals and mix it with senior players.

MOTM in Arbroath's game against Hearts and also against Raith Rovers, when Kai Kennedy was playing for Raith.
I was asking same question.
My brother had been raving about Williamson a year or two back but thought he’d slipped back a bit.
Thinks he’s recovered and even come on a ton since moving into midfield.

Think that has always been the plan. Gets them used to the physicality and competitive nature of senior football early, then they are in a better position to develop their game at a higher division when they're 18/19. Makes their first loan spell or two a bit less of a whirlwind IMO.
Or just get the piss kicked out of them every week. Them big boys play rough in those leagues. Rangers better be careful. 16-17 is a kid. A 25-30 year old man will turn them into a ragdoll.

Id rather not Livi due to the fake pitch and their inability to actually play football through midfield but its probably better than sitting in development for another season. Really for players of his age if hes not going to play at Rangers they must go out and get game time.

If Livi do utilise him then its time well spent, if he sits on bench and goes nowhere I wouldnt be trusting them again.

Rangers have to be careful where they send these young lads, always look for a club that is much more likely to actually start them, thats the driver rather that where that team is in the League competitively.

Game Time. Game Time. Game Time.

The 3 GTs.

The headline of going to a premier club is a good step up but I really do detest that pitch and as others have said Livi aren’t exactly known for silky midfield play. Others have mentioned that Ben had a serious injury already which makes the pitch decision another strange one

Like all other aspects of the club I’m sure the loan system is improving year on year though so I’m happy to trust these guys. If it’s not working out I’m sure we can recall him.

I was asking same question.
My brother had been raving about Williamson a year or two back but thought he’d slipped back a bit.
Thinks he’s recovered and even come on a ton since moving into midfield.

It’s unusual for a guy to prosper when he moves forward on the pitch Tazza.

Sandy Jardine & Hutton are both guys that excelled moving back. Dave Smith too I guess ?

I've said this on other threads, but Williamson has impressed me any time I've seen him play. Really goes under the radar with regards reputation and discussion but I think he has a great chance.

As an aside, Livingston have brought in Adam Lewis on loan from Liverpool this summer as well so Martindale must want more of a youthful feel to the midfield.
They've let go quite a few of there older players and guys who were regulars like Guthrie, Robinson and Brown ect. Martindale seems like a good coach I think this could be a really good move for Williamson

Another poster who thinks the plastic pitch should be a factor

I’d avoid it as it’s a terrible surface

Surely we could get him another option ?

I would rather our players tried to move abroad on loan.

The likes of Livingston and the SPL is not a league to bleed youth players. It’s kick and rush football which will continue to produce midfielders with an inability to keep hold of the ball under pressure and dictate the pace of a game.

I would rather our players tried to move abroad on loan.

The likes of Livingston and the SPL is not a league to bleed youth players. It’s kick and rush football which will continue to produce midfielders with an inability to keep hold of the ball under pressure and dictate the pace of a game.
I never understand this argument,. We play in this league, we play against the same teams, our players need to learn how to play in our league.

Technically our best players will be fine, they have had world class coaching, it's the otherside of the game where we need to see if they can cope.

I never understand this argument,. We play in this league, we play against the same teams, our players need to learn how to play in our league.

Technically our best players will be fine, they have had world class coaching, it's the otherside of the game where we need to see if they can cope.

They are not though. Scottish players in general really struggle to keep the ball under pressure and ‘break the lines’ as they call it. That might be changing, I hope it is.

However, no one is going to get better at that when the game plan is punting the ball down the channels to win throw ins around the opposition penalty box.

Ben Williamson will have had all the toughening up he needs in the championship last year.

I'd rather our lads went to English League 1 and fought for something than go to dogshit like Livi. Hope its worthwhile for the lad.
Removes the issue of relocation and the possibility of not settling away from home. Might sound like nothing but can be the difference between a good/bad loan.

Removes the issue of relocation and the possibility of not settling away from home. Might sound like nothing but can be the difference between a good/bad loan.
Indeed. Particularly as we have no idea how things are going to go with Covid. Kai Kennedy was shifted from Inverness to Raith Rovers mid-season last term because he was struggling with living on his own, away from friends and family, up in Inverness. For some that sort of lifestyle is a breeze but for others, probably the majority at that age, its a real struggle.

Back